NATION

PASSWORD

Lord of the Rings: Fall of Man | OOC | Always Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Next Step?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:32 pm

Go on hiatus
No votes
Reboot at a later date
17%
Continue on as is
83%
Throw in the towel
No votes

Total votes : 6

Lindon-Rivendell
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Lindon-Rivendell » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:19 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Lindon-Rivendell wrote:yeah, but NO LINES?
That's a liiitlle much.

If he had any lines, he would have to be introduced as this awesome character with enormous backstory and history, in the space of just those lines, just that scene, and vanish afterwards from the story.

This, in a scene that already introduces us to a lot of characters, and characters which are far, far more important. If you look back at the scene, only the future Fellowship (and Elrond) has lines, because those are the people we need to get familiar with. There is literally no purpose in giving Glorfindel anything to say, other than 'this is a cool character, he deserves screen time', but that would be at the cost of the streamlined nature. The strick of any kind of storytelling is to contain your story to contain that story to as few characters as possible; this streamlines the story, gives more persona to the characters we need to know, and takes it away from distracting fluff.

Why is Glorfindel even in the book? Because The Lord of the Rings books are both a self-contained story and a guided tour through the lands of Middle Earth that Tolkien had created beforehand. If that is your goal, then you need people like Glorfindel, who have absolutely nothing to do with the story, but who flesh out the world. The movies, however, are just the story, not meant to give a guided tour. Which is why the movies (at least the theatrical cut) never even mention Numenor, where Angmar is supposed to be, what the Undying Lands are; the words 'Valar' and 'Maiar' are also never mentioned; the Istari are just considered wizards, and they are never explained as having come from across the Sea. This all, because for the story, it absolutely does not matter.

And I think asking the movies to be more like the books in that matter would have made for worse movies.

The example of this is the Hobbit-trilogy. Since the succes of the Lord of the Rings-movies, people got really into Middle Earth, and started reading the Silmarillion. Exploring all the neat behind -the-scenes stuff like Gondolin, and the First Age, and Morgoth... And the Hobbit really tried to become a guided tour through the mythos of Middle Earth, even though the Hobbit book was even less connected to the overarching story than Lord of the Rings already was. So you get the pointless Dol Guldur-plotline, or mentions of the Ringwraiths, a Morgul-arrow (somehow fired by an Orc?), Mount Gundabad, the White Council... Bloating it beyond what it was supposed to be. The Hobbit really failed in streamlining where Lord of the Rings was perfect in that regard.

Long story, but basically: stripping Glorfindel of anything was a really good move on Peter Jackson's part.

Yeah, i guess so....
:( *sheds a tear*
ELVEN POWAH!

Arlye Austros
Minister

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Arlye Austros » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:38 pm

Sorry for the delay, I finally posted.

So I was thinking Shelob's path should be about increasing her own power. Among the things I want her to be able to do after some struggle is to manifest herself in the mind of other servants of Sauron (kinda like Galadriel with Elrond as depicted in the Films) and her own minions (at this point she is able to do so when tapping into a system of spiderwebs, and its limited to that particular system.

Another thing I hope she will be able to do is to "re-design" her brood. She had that power in the past, making the beauties I described in my APP, but I envision that she has lost that power after moving out of Mordor. Now she will seek to recover that power and to merge both Broods, making new kinds of spiders to serve a variety of purposes.
Last edited by Arlye Austros on Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlye Austros, the New South. In the Nibaru Expense. -Future Tech-
Patagonia and its regional neighbours are dominated by the Frankish Kingdom of Argentina and use Modern tech for their affairs. -Modern/Post Modern Tech-

Chilean-Argentine, Pro Union of the Americas (all three). Anti Chavism, anti other stuff. Conservative, but not in extremis (hope so).
Pro Stark, Impeach Tommen

The Knights of Azorea
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Knights of Azorea » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:49 pm

Divided between a dragon and a spider the formerly free people of Rhovanion really don't seem to have done so hot out of this one.

Elerian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Elerian » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:46 pm

The Knights of Azorea wrote:Divided between a dragon and a spider the formerly free people of Rhovanion really don't seem to have done so hot out of this one.

There will be a bit more information there in my post that will hopefully be up tomorrow.

My post after that will delve into that situation a little more though for sure.
Last edited by Elerian on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lindon-Rivendell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lindon-Rivendell » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:20 am

The Knights of Azorea wrote:Divided between a dragon and a spider the formerly free people of Rhovanion really don't seem to have done so hot out of this one.

Ha! You forgot Rhün! :rofl:
ELVEN POWAH!

2nd Zapadoslavia
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby 2nd Zapadoslavia » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:27 am

Lindon Rivendell invited me here and told me the best would be if you chose a nazgul, so can i join and NOT BE a nazgul?
I want to be an Dragon of fareast.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:54 am

It's Rhovanion, what can one expect?
2nd Zapadoslavia wrote:Lindon Rivendell invited me here and told me the best would be if you chose a nazgul, so can i join and NOT BE a nazgul?

You can join and not be a Nazgul.

I don't think there are dragons of the Far East though. Especcially no fire breathing ones.
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

2nd Zapadoslavia
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby 2nd Zapadoslavia » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:06 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:

It's Rhovanion, what can one expect?
2nd Zapadoslavia wrote:Lindon Rivendell invited me here and told me the best would be if you chose a nazgul, so can i join and NOT BE a nazgul?

I don't think there are dragons of the Far East though. Especcially no fire breathing ones.

He doesnt breathe fire, he breathes toxic gas(Small amount, his cave is full of tho, so you'd have to have an hazmat suit to breathe it's also NOT flammable)
BTW I meant it like we breathe out carbon dioxide, methane and ethane
Last edited by 2nd Zapadoslavia on Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lindon-Rivendell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lindon-Rivendell » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:43 am

2nd Zapadoslavia wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:It's Rhovanion, what can one expect?

He doesnt breathe fire, he breathes toxic gas(Small amount, his cave is full of tho, so you'd have to have an hazmat suit to breathe it's also NOT flammable)

Interesting
ELVEN POWAH!

The Knights of Azorea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Knights of Azorea » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:40 am

2nd Zapadoslavia wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:It's Rhovanion, what can one expect?

I'd suggest getting more acquainted with Tolkien's lore surrounding dragons before making an application.

2nd Zapadoslavia
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby 2nd Zapadoslavia » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:19 am

Name:Finithrälen
Race:Lesser Mountain Dragon
Appearance: Finithrälen as seen in Dorwinionan city Wítrholiz
Role:Lord of the Uttermost East, Mountains of the Wind and Dorwinion
Motivations:Ensuring his Land stays his and staying stable.
History: Before Sauron’s Victory:
He was found by Romestamo as an ancient egg in Forodwaith in TA 708, Romestamo went to Morinehtar about his discovery. Morinehtar tried to destroy it, but failed and instead hatched it. Romestamo saw an opportunity that they could try to be "friends" with him, eventually so he could help them with their shenanigans. They later became true friends and moved further east to orocarni where they lived with Red Dwarves, which provided an part of their treasure for Finithr in exchange for him and the blue wizards helping them in forging new metals and providing food.

After Sauron’s Victory : It was Finithr who convinced the Red dwarves and the blue wizards to stay neutral and then takeover Rhun.
Territory: Uttermost east, Dorwinion and Wind Mountains.
Strength: (I.e. Retinues, Beasts of War, Ships, etc.) 1000 Red Dwarves, 2000 Easterlings, 10 Were-worms and 70 black numenoreans
Notable Artifacts: The Balghetan Treasure
WIP
Last edited by 2nd Zapadoslavia on Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elerian
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Elerian » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 pm

I'm gonna be gone for a few days, so no posts from me in the IC until I get back. I'll for sure get the ball rolling sometime next week though.

In the meantime, hopefully we get some more posts in.
Last edited by Elerian on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lindon-Rivendell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lindon-Rivendell » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:07 am

Elerian wrote:I'm gonna be gone for a few days, so no posts from me in the IC until I get back. I'll for sure get the ball rolling sometime next week though.

ok, imma hit up zapslav to finish his dragon
ELVEN POWAH!

2nd Zapadoslavia
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby 2nd Zapadoslavia » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:07 am

Lindon-Rivendell wrote:
Elerian wrote:I'm gonna be gone for a few days, so no posts from me in the IC until I get back. I'll for sure get the ball rolling sometime next week though.

ok, imma hit up zapslav to finish his dragon

fine. but hell probably be an Smoke-breathing Dragon a type of cold-drake:
Smoke-breathing Dragons - Cold-drakes that could not breathe fire, but had the ability to breathe a mist and smoke.
-LoTR Fandom Wiki (Dragons 2.=Types of dragons)
Last edited by 2nd Zapadoslavia on Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lindon-Rivendell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lindon-Rivendell » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:01 am

2nd Zapadoslavia wrote:Name:Finithrälen
Race:Lesser Mountain Dragon
Appearance: Finithrälen as seen in Dorwinionan city Wítrholiz
(Image)
Role:Lord of the Uttermost East, Mountains of the Wind and Dorwinion
Motivations:Ensuring his Land stays his and staying stable.
History: Before Sauron’s Victory:
He was found by Romestamo as an ancient egg in Forodwaith in TA 708, Romestamo went to Morinehtar about his discovery. Morinehtar tried to destroy it, but failed and instead hatched it. Romestamo saw an opportunity that they could try to be "friends" with him, eventually so he could help them with their shenanigans. They later became true friends and moved further east to orocarni where they lived with Red Dwarves, which provided an part of their treasure for Finithr in exchange for him and the blue wizards helping them in forging new metals and providing food.

After Sauron’s Victory : It was Finithr who convinced the Red dwarves and the blue wizards to stay neutral and then takeover Rhun.
Territory: Uttermost east, Dorwinion and Wind Mountains.
Strength: (I.e. Retinues, Beasts of War, Ships, etc.) 1000 Red Dwarves, 2000 Easterlings, 10 Were-worms and 70 black numenoreans
Notable Artifacts: The Balghetan Treasure
WIP

idk about the history of the guy
ELVEN POWAH!

2nd Zapadoslavia
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby 2nd Zapadoslavia » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:25 am

So guys ill be moving on from this nation and making a new one, ill give this one to lindon rivendell, ill be back in a second

Elerian
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Elerian » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:40 pm

Back from my travels. I'm looking to get a post going, but first I'd like to know who's still around?

Hopefully enough of you are still here to continue.

Lindon-Rivendell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lindon-Rivendell » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:19 am

Elerian wrote:Back from my travels. I'm looking to get a post going, but first I'd like to know who's still around?

Still here!
ELVEN POWAH!

Nova Zapadoslavia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Zapadoslavia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:37 am

Lindon-Rivendell wrote:
Elerian wrote:Back from my travels. I'm looking to get a post going, but first I'd like to know who's still around?

Still here!

Same, even tho on an another nation!
(I'm Zapslav)

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:47 am

Sure, I'm around.
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:57 am

Still here
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:06 am

Honestly wandered off a bit. I could try to reignite my enthusiasm, but someone else could also take over the Blue Wizards and I wouldn't be too fussed.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Arlye Austros
Minister

Founded: Feb 12, 2014

Postby Arlye Austros » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:37 am

Still around. Thinking of what to do on my next post and if I should send messages to that lizard living nearby.
Arlye Austros, the New South. In the Nibaru Expense. -Future Tech-
Patagonia and its regional neighbours are dominated by the Frankish Kingdom of Argentina and use Modern tech for their affairs. -Modern/Post Modern Tech-

Chilean-Argentine, Pro Union of the Americas (all three). Anti Chavism, anti other stuff. Conservative, but not in extremis (hope so).
Pro Stark, Impeach Tommen

Nova Zapadoslavia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Zapadoslavia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:49 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:

Honestly wandered off a bit. I could try to reignite my enthusiasm, but someone else could also take over the Blue Wizards and I wouldn't be too fussed.

Can we split them maybe?
The Finithralen idea was only to get Rhun and Dorwinion, and probably pretty silly in the eyes of the mighty lord Elerian

The Knights of Azorea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Knights of Azorea » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:15 am

Smaug, being no stranger to long periods of slumber between actions, is definitely still about

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse