NATION

PASSWORD

Swiss voters approve facial covering ban

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Sengoku Americas
Envoy

Founded: Feb 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Sengoku Americas » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 pm

GENEVA — Switzerland on Sunday became the latest European country to ban the wearing of face coverings in public places, prohibiting the veils worn by Muslim women.

Official results of the nationwide referendum showed 51.2 percent of voters supported the ban on full facial coverings, which was proposed by the populist, anti-immigrant Swiss People’s Party (S.V.P.), compared with 48.8 percent opposing it, a much narrower margin of victory than pollsters had initially predicted.

I was quite shocked to hear that this ban passed especially given the central government's opposition. I can't say I support it either, but such moves do make Switzerland's policies similar to some other mainland European nations which also place limits on facial coverings. I'm curious about NSG's opinion: are such movements well meaning and preserving public order, or merely attempts to attack religious minorities?

Source:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/07/worl ... rings.html
Five nations, one continent.
"Let everyone put forth their full effort for the reconstruction of our wonderful garden!"

Empress Park and Premier Kato's new collaboration album: Journey of Melody
Song in Praise of Feyrisshire Princess Reishi Yuri
The author does not in any way condone war crimes including carpet bombing, chemical warfare, biological attacks, and nuclear strikes
May the light of peace prevail always
大蛙都줄기 내려 아름다운 내 나라
公主님 높이 모신 歓呼声 울려 가네
先祖의 大業 継承者 民族의 領導者
万歳! 万歳! 레이시유리公主

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:42 pm

Seems like an odd time to do that.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:43 pm

That fucking sucks. Who thought it was a good idea to ban people from covering their face?
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Deacarsia » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:47 pm

This is excellent news.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:47 pm

This is an infringement of freedom of expression. Let minorities wear their traditional clothing if they want to. Banning it doesn't solve anything.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms
Attaché

Founded: Feb 28, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:47 pm

Wow. Swiss voters really are one of the anti face mask group eh?
huh

Sengoku Americas
Envoy

Founded: Feb 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Sengoku Americas » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:48 pm

Disgraces wrote:That fucking sucks. Who thought it was a good idea to ban people from covering their face?

The initiative, started long before the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, makes exceptions for facial coverings worn at religious sites and for security or health purposes, but also bans coverings like the ski masks worn by protesters. Officials have two years to write legislation to put the ban into effect.

According to NYT, there still needs to be legislation written first and it also exempts face masks like those for medicine.
Five nations, one continent.
"Let everyone put forth their full effort for the reconstruction of our wonderful garden!"

Empress Park and Premier Kato's new collaboration album: Journey of Melody
Song in Praise of Feyrisshire Princess Reishi Yuri
The author does not in any way condone war crimes including carpet bombing, chemical warfare, biological attacks, and nuclear strikes
May the light of peace prevail always
大蛙都줄기 내려 아름다운 내 나라
公主님 높이 모신 歓呼声 울려 가네
先祖의 大業 継承者 民族의 領導者
万歳! 万歳! 레이시유리公主

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:54 pm

Sengoku Americas wrote:
Disgraces wrote:That fucking sucks. Who thought it was a good idea to ban people from covering their face?

The initiative, started long before the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, makes exceptions for facial coverings worn at religious sites and for security or health purposes, but also bans coverings like the ski masks worn by protesters. Officials have two years to write legislation to put the ban into effect.

According to NYT, there still needs to be legislation written first and it also exempts face masks like those for medicine.

I was precisely talking about not being able to wear ski masks

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:56 pm

Ah, Switzerland - where women gained suffrage at the federal level in 1971 and the last canton voted to extend suffrage to women in 1990. Glad the medieval backwardness hasn't been undermined by the piles of Nazi gold and Saudi oil money too much.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:05 pm

Behold: muslimas suddenly are all extremely concerned about the health of themselves and of the people arround them, so insist on wearing a facemask at al times.

Of course, since the eyes are an entrypoint for virusses, they will cover those as well. It is only medical.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:26 pm

Imagine not being able to do Halloween because someone felt like being kind of a shit to the Muslims.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:30 pm

Dogmeat wrote:Imagine not being able to do Halloween because someone felt like being kind of a shit to the Muslims.

LmO

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:32 pm

How will protesters express their dissatisfaction toward the government without being identified, arrested, and charged with subversion now?

I do think face coverings should be banned in certain settings such as classrooms and airports in the absence of a pandemic where communication and identification are essential to executing one's professional duties or passing through security checkpoints such as immigration counters. I believe that sensitive locations such as airports and government buildings as well as private premises such as restaurants and shopping malls have a right to turn masked protesters and Muslim women away for covering their faces.

But as distasteful as I find the burka and as disgusted as I am with their controlling husbands and male relatives (the ones I've encountered in person all seem to have that nasty look on their faces), pro-democracy protesters and Muslim women alike have a right to both personal privacy as well as freedom of expression out on the streets. Muslim women are already being punished by their peers for the "crime" of not covering up. They shouldn't be punished a second time by wider society for the "crime" of covering up.

I'm opposed to this non-pandemic-related facial covering ban.
Last edited by Glorious Hong Kong on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:38 pm

Glorious Hong Kong wrote:How will protesters express their dissatisfaction toward the government without being identified, arrested, and charged with subversion now?

Does that actually happen in Switzerland ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:38 pm

So no Covid masks, no ski masks, no scarfs around faces and no more Tschäggättä!

Seems unfortunate

Wink Wonk We Like Stonks
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Wink Wonk We Like Stonks » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:40 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Glorious Hong Kong wrote:How will protesters express their dissatisfaction toward the government without being identified, arrested, and charged with subversion now?

Does that actually happen in Switzerland ?

i don't think ghk cares
bad reply? a random criminal/civilian will be sent to SweatshopvilleTM. To date, 63+ have been sent. stonks for apotheosis 2024
pronouns i keep in my washed pasta sauce jars: she, they, he; hedonism is based
according to legend, i once wrote:agender mars-colony automated decadent libertarian anti-statist degrowth

*juggling vials of covid vaccine* come get yall's juice

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:42 pm

Sengoku Americas wrote:
GENEVA — Switzerland on Sunday became the latest European country to ban the wearing of face coverings in public places, prohibiting the veils worn by Muslim women.

Official results of the nationwide referendum showed 51.2 percent of voters supported the ban on full facial coverings, which was proposed by the populist, anti-immigrant Swiss People’s Party (S.V.P.), compared with 48.8 percent opposing it, a much narrower margin of victory than pollsters had initially predicted.

I was quite shocked to hear that this ban passed especially given the central government's opposition. I can't say I support it either, but such moves do make Switzerland's policies similar to some other mainland European nations which also place limits on facial coverings. I'm curious about NSG's opinion: are such movements well meaning and preserving public order, or merely attempts to attack religious minorities?

Source:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/07/worl ... rings.html

I was hoping they meant masks. As for what the coverings in question are, I...I honestly do not know. I am not informed enough to offer comments.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Wink Wonk We Like Stonks
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Wink Wonk We Like Stonks » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:45 pm

yeah this is fucking stupid
-covid??? literally everyone is covering half their face
-religious freedom is still a thing if you're not a majority religion
-doesn't their government have anything more important to be doing
in conclusion, this sucks
thanks for coming to my ted talk, please make your way to the stage to receive your complimentary ski mask, and don't forget to wear it constantly.it's illegal to remove and trust me, i can tell if it is.
bad reply? a random criminal/civilian will be sent to SweatshopvilleTM. To date, 63+ have been sent. stonks for apotheosis 2024
pronouns i keep in my washed pasta sauce jars: she, they, he; hedonism is based
according to legend, i once wrote:agender mars-colony automated decadent libertarian anti-statist degrowth

*juggling vials of covid vaccine* come get yall's juice

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:46 pm

Kinda a non-issue. I don't particularly like Burkas or the rationale for wearing one, and I'll admit to having been uncomfortable the few times I've seen one. That said, I don't see why it's a pressing issue for folks, these Burka bans. In the developed world, Europe, the US, I'm not aware of any attacks or threats that have stemmed from a woman wearing a burka. In the specific case of Islamic terrorism, the perpetrator is almost always a male who doesn't wear any facial covering.

Many countries, Switzerland included, are in the midst of a pretty rough timeline. Focusing on some of these nonsense cultural litmus tests that don't affect day-to-day lives kinda seems counterproductive. Not always good practice to ban something because it makes us a little squeamish unless that something is a direct threat to our societies. I don't think the burka is.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:25 am

Wink Wonk We Like Stonks wrote:-doesn't their government have anything more important to be doing

It's Switzerland

The primary function of the government there is to allow the menfolk of the village to march down to the town square, put on their 16th century costumes over their kevlar 'use in case of French invasion' body armor and vote to lynch the lovely Turkish couple who started a kebab shop down the street
Last edited by Nilokeras on Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Engadine Mcdonalds 1997
Envoy

Founded: Jan 21, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Engadine Mcdonalds 1997 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:30 am

Doesn't seem very Covid-safe to me, and it's xenophobic at the same time... just what Dictator Dan hates the most. Absolutely ludicrous, especially in a time like this
Last edited by Engadine Mcdonalds 1997 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXtq4a8829g&t=1s

"I’ll tell you about the Greens. You know what the Greens are? They are a bunch of opportunists and trots hiding behind a gum tree trying to pretend they’re the Labor Party"- Paul Keating

"When you look back on these last days, you will realize that all you've built was a tomb"- Escharum

Proud anti-ideologist and chief architect of Jordan Shanks Thought

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:46 am

Facepalm!
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:50 am

So, now everybody will freeze their ears off in Swiss Alps while skiing because ski masks are banned?
Last edited by Endem on Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:51 am

I think it is a very good decision because closing the face poses security risks.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:52 am

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:I think it is a very good decision because closing the face poses security risks.

You must feel really threatened by bearded guys wearing sunglasses?
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General