NATION

PASSWORD

(Last Call)Protection Of Youth In Foster Care (Draft)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Grey County
Envoy

Founded: Jun 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

(Last Call)Protection Of Youth In Foster Care (Draft)

Postby Grey County » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:15 am

This is my first draft and would love to hear your ideas on it.
I understand it probably needs a lot of work but I decided that the first draft doesn't need to be perfect It just needs to be something.
So here it is, enjoy.
CIVIL RIGHTS MILD

(made minor punctuation edits along with wording edits but no changes to content so far)
(made wording edits)
(eliminated loopholes and made it easier to read as well as cutting out some unneeded parts)
(Stylistic Changes)
(Changed it a bit and Jedinsto is doing list tags which I still dont understand)
The World Assembly,

Noting that not all parents can provide the necessary support that young children and youth need,

Acknowledging having a youth stay with their biological parents is not always an option and thus the foster care system is a necessary thing that provides the support and resources that young children and youth need,

Acknowledging that the foster care system is a necessary thing that provides the support and resources that young children and youth need,

Noting that in some scenarios the system can inadvertently or maliciously be taken advantage of and cause damage to those in it,

Certain that there is a need for international regulations and restrictions to protect the youth and young children that so desperately need the support of the system,

Hereby:

1. Defines:

1. "Foster care" as a state-supported service which cares for youth and young children that are not able to be cared for by their biological parents in the hope that they can be adopted,
  2. "Foster parent" as a person who is charged with the care of fostered youth before they are adopted, and
  3. "Fostered youth" as a person under the age of legal competency who’s in the foster care system; and

2. Mandates member states to:

1. Put in place an approval process to determine whether the prospective foster parents can provide and care for a foster child that must include but is not limited to:
    i. A background check that looks at criminal past history to determine whether they are a safe and suitable option as a foster parent,
    ii. A home inspection to determine whether they have a suitable home environment, and
    iii. An interview of the prospective Foster Parents to get to know the prospective foster parents better,
  2. Provide funding to the foster care system to ensure that prospective foster parents can receive training from the member states and help to prepare for a fostered youth to join their home.
  3. Provide additional training to those who wish to foster a child with a disability.
  4. Conduct post-placement inspections to make sure that the foster parents are providing suitable support, shelter, and resources for the fostered youth.
  5. Establish legislation regarding inspections and penalties for failure to provide services including but not limited to support, shelter, financial, a suitable education, and emotional resources for the fostered youth as well as abuse of or mistreatment of fostered youth that must deter abusers of the system and those who wish to do harm to fostered youth
Last edited by Grey County on Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 25 times in total.

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:34 am

I think you could do with changing that whole first acknowledging clause to something to the effect of, "acknowledging that abortion is not always an option," and you should reword the last noting clause not to include saying "general assembly," because right now it reads as follows: The World Assembly, noting that the general assembly needs to put in place..." and you should end the preamble with just "hereby;" Other than that, looks pretty good.

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:45 pm

I will be removing the "requires part" at the advuce of IA

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:11 pm

instead of "hereby declares these clauses," just put "hereby;"

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:03 pm

Jedinsto wrote:instead of "hereby declares these clauses," just put "hereby;"

Alright

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:57 am

OOC: Welcome to the WA. Let me start by saying thank you for 1, drafting first and 2, not picking a horrifically contentious repeal as your first foray. A couple of suggestions:

You may want to review https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=3123204#p3123204, which is a prior resolution defining the rights of orphaned children, which includes those abandoned by their parents. I do not think you are contradicting or necessarily duplicating, but I also do not have time at the moment to really check that.

A second note, remove references to specific ages (why did you pick 19 anyway?). You can replace it with a reference to "age of legal competence" which has a specific definition in the WA already that I think will cover what you intend anyway.

I may have some more later, but I am on a time crunch. Good luck, author!
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:10 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:OOC: Welcome to the WA. Let me start by saying thank you for 1, drafting first and 2, not picking a horrifically contentious repeal as your first foray. A couple of suggestions:

You may want to review https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=3123204#p3123204, which is a prior resolution defining the rights of orphaned children, which includes those abandoned by their parents. I do not think you are contradicting or necessarily duplicating, but I also do not have time at the moment to really check that.

A second note, remove references to specific ages (why did you pick 19 anyway?). You can replace it with a reference to "age of legal competence" which has a specific definition in the WA already that I think will cover what you intend anyway.

I may have some more later, but I am on a time crunch. Good luck, author!

Thank you. I will have a look at that an I will use the age of legal competence phrase instead . As why I used 19 in my RL nation that is the age of legal competence.

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:38 pm

OOC: Hey Grey County long time no see!

Grey County wrote:Acknowledging that the foster care system is a necessary thing that provides the support and resources that young children and youth need,

Personally I don't like the word "thing," try to be more descriptive. You could replace it with "service" or a similar word which has more meaning, or reword it to read "foster care is a necessary system."

Grey County wrote:Noting that in some scenarios the system can inadvertently or maliciously be taken advantage of and cause damage to the people in the system,

This may not be necessary, but I don't think it would hurt to include an example scenario.

Grey County wrote:2.Mandates;

You could just change this to "Mandates member states to:" since all your subclauses start with that. It isn't necessary but it makes the resolution nicer to read.

Grey County wrote:a). Member states to put in place an extensive approval process that must include these aspects; A background check, A home inspection, and an interview of the prospective Foster Parents,

A background check into what? Presumably it's into the foster parents but it should be explicitly written.

Grey County wrote:c). Member states to Provide funding to the foster care system to ensure that prospective foster parents can receive training and help to prepare for a Fostered Youth to join their home,

Is it necessary that funding be provided to accomplish this? For instance if a privately-run foster program were to create a training program it would be ignored by this clause.

Grey County wrote:f). Member states apply same strict protocols be applied to individuals who wish to adopt a fostered youth,

I'm not entirely sure what this is trying to say.

Grey County wrote:e). Member States to ensure that Fostered Youth are receiving the same quality education as non-fostered youth.

Should be subclause g. Also, I think this needs a slight rewrite. Right now it's unclear what exactly "same quality education" means; should fostered youth have the same quality of the average non-fostered youth, or the most privileged of non-fostered youth (e.g. fancy private schools)? Perhaps you could change this to say "fostered youth do not receive disproportionately lower quality education than the average student" or something like that.

Overall the resolution needs some fixing but I think it has potential. Good luck! :)
Scalizagasti | iiwiki page | he/him

URA WA Affairs Department Head
Senator in Mariner Trench
Former President of The Great Experiment

Don't let them tell you it can't be done - Jack Layton

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:47 pm

Esteemed colleague a worthy idea and a very fine draft. Below are some suggestions, take or leave them as you will. Currently, we find nothing in this proposal that would cause us to not support it as is.

Nigel S Youlkin
USP Ambassador to the WA

a). Member states to put in place an extensive approval process that must include these aspects; A background check, A home inspection, and an interview of the prospective Foster Parents,

I would suggest my honored colleague consider streamlining the language when it comes to "extensive" approval process. That opens up nations to loopholes in terms of placement or removal as parties can argue that the nations approval process was not extensive enough. The goal here is to make sure that Foster Parents are suitable, the more adjectives you add the more wiggle room for exploitation you invite.

That said, consider adding "but is not limited to" after the must include. It's semantics but it would allow nations to expand on the process on their own and while maintaining a baseline in international law.

b). Member states conduct post-placement inspections to make sure that the Foster Parents are providing suitable support, shelter, and resources for the Fostered youth,

For how long? Until the Fostered is placed in the home permanently? Until the Fostered turns the age of majority in the nation? A number of months? A number of successful inspections? Leaving it up to the nation to decide the time frame?

c). Member states to Provide funding to the foster care system to ensure that prospective foster parents can receive training and help to prepare for a Fostered Youth to join their home,

Perhaps move this above B as it pertains to preparing the "nest" for the child, and currently B is after the child is placed. Again semantics however readability should be considered.

d). Member States to create Fines and punishments for Foster Parents who act to the detriment of the fostered youth. For example: Abusing the Fostered youth or using money from the Member State that was intended to help the fostered youth for their own personal reasons that do not benefit the fostered youth,

I see where my esteemed colleague is going with this clause, however I'm not convinced the wording itself is effective. Perhaps add a review of the finances associated with the child into the clause mandating inspections and then let this clause establish consequences for failing those inspections.

"Establish legislation regarding penalties for failure to services including but not limited to support, shelter, financial, and emotional resources for the Fostered Youth. "

e). Member States to provide training and resources to Prospective Foster Parents who wish to foster a Fostered Youth with a disability,

You've already mandated training, in clause C. I'm not sure you need to single out disabled youth, in their own clause. You can specify them in C and streamline it.

f). Member states apply same strict protocols be applied to individuals who wish to adopt a fostered youth,

I do not feel as though this is needed, as to be a foster parent they have already qualified to parent the child and if anything when the adoption happens much of the foster resources would go away.

e). Member States to ensure that Fostered Youth are receiving the same quality education as non-fostered youth.

I feel as though education should be added to the inspection clause.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:23 pm

Philimbesi wrote:Esteemed colleague a worthy idea and a very fine draft. Below are some suggestions, take or leave them as you will. Currently, we find nothing in this proposal that would cause us to not support it as is.

Nigel S Youlkin
USP Ambassador to the WA

a). Member states to put in place an extensive approval process that must include these aspects; A background check, A home inspection, and an interview of the prospective Foster Parents,

I would suggest my honored colleague consider streamlining the language when it comes to "extensive" approval process. That opens up nations to loopholes in terms of placement or removal as parties can argue that the nations approval process was not extensive enough. The goal here is to make sure that Foster Parents are suitable, the more adjectives you add the more wiggle room for exploitation you invite.

That said, consider adding "but is not limited to" after the must include. It's semantics but it would allow nations to expand on the process on their own and while maintaining a baseline in international law.

b). Member states conduct post-placement inspections to make sure that the Foster Parents are providing suitable support, shelter, and resources for the Fostered youth,

For how long? Until the Fostered is placed in the home permanently? Until the Fostered turns the age of majority in the nation? A number of months? A number of successful inspections? Leaving it up to the nation to decide the time frame?

c). Member states to Provide funding to the foster care system to ensure that prospective foster parents can receive training and help to prepare for a Fostered Youth to join their home,

Perhaps move this above B as it pertains to preparing the "nest" for the child, and currently B is after the child is placed. Again semantics however readability should be considered.

d). Member States to create Fines and punishments for Foster Parents who act to the detriment of the fostered youth. For example: Abusing the Fostered youth or using money from the Member State that was intended to help the fostered youth for their own personal reasons that do not benefit the fostered youth,

I see where my esteemed colleague is going with this clause, however I'm not convinced the wording itself is effective. Perhaps add a review of the finances associated with the child into the clause mandating inspections and then let this clause establish consequences for failing those inspections.

"Establish legislation regarding penalties for failure to services including but not limited to support, shelter, financial, and emotional resources for the Fostered Youth. "

e). Member States to provide training and resources to Prospective Foster Parents who wish to foster a Fostered Youth with a disability,

You've already mandated training, in clause C. I'm not sure you need to single out disabled youth, in their own clause. You can specify them in C and streamline it.

f). Member states apply same strict protocols be applied to individuals who wish to adopt a fostered youth,

I do not feel as though this is needed, as to be a foster parent they have already qualified to parent the child and if anything when the adoption happens much of the foster resources would go away.

e). Member States to ensure that Fostered Youth are receiving the same quality education as non-fostered youth.

I feel as though education should be added to the inspection clause.

Thank you. I will be taking most of these suggestions and adding them in.
EDIT:Done
Last edited by Grey County on Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:10 pm

I believe you should either completely reword or simply remove the first "acknowledging" clause, it's a bit weird to read, but other than that you have my stamp of approval for contents. There are some minor adjustments you should make including changing "mandates" to "mandates member states to;"

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:32 pm

Jedinsto wrote:I believe you should either completely reword or simply remove the first "acknowledging" clause, it's a bit weird to read, but other than that you have my stamp of approval for contents. There are some minor adjustments you should make including changing "mandates" to "mandates member states to;"

I will reword the first one but on the second 1 No because it reads like mandates member states to member states well mandates reads as Mandates member states

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:36 pm

Grey County wrote:
Jedinsto wrote:I believe you should either completely reword or simply remove the first "acknowledging" clause, it's a bit weird to read, but other than that you have my stamp of approval for contents. There are some minor adjustments you should make including changing "mandates" to "mandates member states to;"

I will reword the first one but on the second 1 No because it reads like mandates member states to member states well mandates reads as Mandates member states

I meant that you also get rid of the use of member states to, member states to, member states to, member states to. Just write it once.

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:43 pm

Jedinsto wrote:
Grey County wrote:I will reword the first one but on the second 1 No because it reads like mandates member states to member states well mandates reads as Mandates member states

I meant that you also get rid of the use of member states to, member states to, member states to, member states to. Just write it once.

Ya that makes sense. I will do that

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:52 pm

Starting to think about when I eventually do submit this proposal What category/Strength should I submit it as

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:37 pm

The World Assembly,

Noting that not all parents can provide the necessary support that young children and youth need,

Acknowledging abortion is not always an option and just because it isn't that it doesn't mean they are ready to support and provide for a baby thus the foster care system being the best option,

Acknowledging that the foster care system is a necessary thing that provides the support and resources that young children and youth need,

Noting that in some scenarios the system can inadvertently or maliciously be taken advantage of and cause damage to the people in the system,

Certain that there is a need for international regulations and restrictions to protect the youth and young children that so desperately need the support of the system,

Hereby:

1. Defines:

a). "Foster care" as the care of youth and young children that are not able to be cared for by their biological parents in the hope that they can be adopted,

b). "Foster parent" as a person who is charged with the care of fostered youth before they are adopted, and

c). "Fostered youth" as a person under the age of legal competency who’s in the Foster Care system; and

2. Mandates member states to:

a). Put in place an approval process that must include but is not limited to:
      i. A background check,
      ii. A home inspection, and
      iii. an interview of the prospective Foster Parents,

b). Provide funding to the foster care system to ensure that prospective foster parents can receive training and help to prepare for a Fostered Youth to join their home and provide additional training to people who wish to foster a child with a disability,

c). Conduct post-placement inspections to make sure that the Foster Parents are providing suitable support, shelter, and resources for the Fostered youth for a minimum of one (1) year but individual Member states may expand this, and

d). Establish legislation regarding inspections and penalties for failure to services including but not limited to support, shelter, financial, a suitable education, and emotional resources for the Fostered Youth.

Some purely stylistic changes I've made. On the substance of the proposal, I fully support it. Best of luck!
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:11 pm

Agreed Barfleur

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:13 pm

Looks excellent.

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:17 pm

I would like to submit In around 2 weeks if its ready but If not then I will hold off for a bit more.

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:19 pm

Good call.

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:47 am

Moving this to last call

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:46 am

Can you use list tags?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Grey County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:11 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Can you use list tags?

Tags? What does that mean? Im new to this

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:32 pm

1. Like

2. this

3. list

4. here

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions