NATION

PASSWORD

35th Anniversary of the People Power Revolution

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Founded: Nov 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

35th Anniversary of the People Power Revolution

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:17 pm

Today is the anniversary of the Philippine People Power Revolution, which lasted from February 22–25, 1986. It was widely seen as a victory of the people against two decades of presidential rule by President Marcos, and made news headlines as "the revolution that surprised the world" due to the bloodless nature of the event.

The Philippines was praised worldwide in 1986, when the so-called bloodless revolution erupted, called EDSA People Power’s Revolution. February 25, 1986 marked a significant national event that has been engraved in the hearts and minds of every Filipino. This part of Philippine history gives us a strong sense of pride especially that other nations had attempted to emulate what we have shown the world of the true power of democracy. The true empowerment of democracy was exhibited in EDSA by its successful efforts to oust a tyrant by a demonstration without tolerance for violence and bloodshed. Prayers and rosaries strengthened by faith were the only weapons that the Filipinos used to recover their freedom from President Ferdinand Marcos’s iron hands. The Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EDSA) stretches 54 kilometers, where the peaceful demonstration was held on that fateful day. It was a day that gathered all Filipinos in unity with courage and faith to prevail democracy in the country. It was the power of the people, who assembled in EDSA, that restored the democratic Philippines, ending the oppressive Marcos regime. Hence, it came to be known as the EDSA People Power’s Revolution.

The revolution was a result of the long oppressed freedom and the life threatening abuses executed by the Marcos government to cite several events like human rights violation since the tyrannical Martial Law Proclamation in 1972. In the years that followed Martial Law started the suppressive and abusive years–incidents of assassination were rampant, particularly those who opposed the government, individuals and companies alike were subdued. The Filipinos reached the height of their patience when former Senator Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino, Sr. was shot and killed at the airport in August 21, 1983, upon his return to the Philippines from exile in the United States. Aquino’s death marked the day that Filipinos learned to fight. His grieving wife, Corazon Cojuangco-Aquino showed the Filipinos and the world the strength and courage to claim back the democracy that Ferdinand Marcos arrested for his personal caprice. Considering the depressing economy of the country, Ninoy’s death further intensified the contained resentment of the Filipinos.

With the power of prayers, the armed marine troops under the command of Marcos withdrew from the site. Celebrities expressed their support putting up a presentation to showcase the injustices and the anomalies carried out by the Marcos administration. Finally, in the morning of February 25, 1986, Corazon Aquino took the presidential oath of office, administered by the Supreme Court Associate Justice Claudio Teehankee at Club Filipino located in San Juan. Aquino was proclaimed as the 11th President of the Republic of the Philippines. She was the first lady president of the country. People rejoiced over their victory proving the success of the EDSA People’s Power Revolution, the historic peaceful demonstration. Although in 2001, there was an attempt to revive People Power in the efforts to oust then President Joseph Estrada, it was not as strong as the glorifying demonstration in 1986. The bloodless, People Power Revolution in EDSA renewed the power of the people, strengthened the meaning of democracy and restored the democratic institutions of government.

Source: https://www.philippine-history.org/edsa ... lution.htm
Full chronology: http://edsarevolution.com/chronology/

I wanted to make a thread for this since nobody has made one yet. What are your thoughts on the EDSA Revolution? If you were alive during this time in history or if you know anyone who was, what do you or they remember about it? For my fellow Filipinos, in what ways are you celebrating the EDSA Revolution?

Disclaimer: I'm aware that this post might inflame political debates, considering the consequential nature of the revolution, along with historical and current events in the Philippines connected to it. I would just like to remind everyone to please make this a healthy avenue of discussion and learning. Let's treat each other as civil and decent human beings no matter your beliefs and ideologies. Also, please respect the sanctity of this historical event, so please refrain from making comments in ill taste of the context.

Also, here is an obligatory repost of "Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo" (What the Filipino Gives to the World) along with the English adaptation. It is widely considered to be one of the most renowned democratic anthems of the 1980s.
Last edited by Pan-Asiatic States on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES
RPs I'm In: (1) (2) (3) (4)
Puppet(s): Hintuwan
NO-ONE FIGHTS ALONE! JOIN ESCB  TWI  ISC  ISVC TODAY!

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 pm

I think that Manny Pacquiao will be president of the Phillipines.
Last edited by Sundiata on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 pm

Sundiata wrote:I think Paquiao will be president.

I hope to God not.
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:34 pm

Pan-Asiatic States wrote:
Sundiata wrote:I think Paquiao will be president.

I hope to God not.

He's famous, has a 3.2 billion dollar net worth, and already is a senator. He's got a great shot.
Last edited by Sundiata on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:36 pm

The Philippines was doing fine if not great under Marcos from what I can tell. There is a distinct lack of appreciation for his bold leadership but his legacy is still a good one if you really learn about his many accomplishments. Hopefully Duterte will reign for life or for an extended period like Putin is for Russia.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:38 pm

Saiwania wrote:The Philippines was doing fine if not great under Marcos from what I can tell. There is a distinct lack of appreciation for his bold leadership but his legacy is still a good one if you really learn about his many accomplishments. Hopefully Duterte will reign for life or for an extended period like Putin is for Russia.

Hopefully Duterte will be overthrown like Marcos. The guy's a loony.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:41 pm

Saiwania wrote:The Philippines was doing fine if not great under Marcos from what I can tell. There is a distinct lack of appreciation for his bold leadership but his legacy is still a good one if you really learn about his many accomplishments. Hopefully Duterte will reign for life or for an extended period like Putin is for Russia.

name one good thing marcos has done for my country
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:44 pm

Atheris wrote:

loony is an understatement
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:45 pm

Atheris wrote:Hopefully Duterte will be overthrown like Marcos. The guy's a loony.

I don't wanna get warned, now do I? I have some choice words for him, but I don't wanna risk it.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 pm

Atheris wrote:

I don't wanna get warned, now do I? I have some choice words for him, but I don't wanna risk it.

Fair enough.
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES

Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 pm

Did anything change with the Sabah claim as a result of Marco's deposition?
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 pm

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:Did anything change with the Sabah claim as a result of Marco's deposition?

Marcos never pursued the Sabah claim, he planned for it, realized he didn't want to piss off the other southeast asian countries, massacred the people who he had wanted to invade Sabah so word would never go out about him wanting to invade Sabah, and then just left the idea for dead. No other president has attempted an invasion since.
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:57 pm

Point of order, PAS: It's been 35 years since 1986. The 34th Anniversary was 2020.
Sundiata wrote:I think that Manny Pacquiao will be president of the Phillipines.

On one end: Pacquiao, a man whose qualifications and demeanor would not be entirely conducive to the presidency (whether or not that is an understatement is up to the reader), gunning for president. On the other: the prospect of Duterte, a known authoritarian (and if you've seen my sig you would know my opinion on authoritarianism) who embraces a "my way or go fuck yourself sideways" approach to leadership, as President For Life.

Suffice to say my opinion on both possibilities is a trope in itself. To clarify: I would laugh out loud. Then I would flat out point out that either would be a terrible idea.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:59 pm

New Visayan Islands wrote:Point of order, PAS: It's been 35 years since 1986. The 34th Anniversary was 2020.

Ah, yeah, thanks for pointing it out. OP has been corrected.

Happy EDSA. :)
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES

Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:04 pm

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:Did anything change with the Sabah claim as a result of Marco's deposition?

Marcos never pursued the Sabah claim, he planned for it, realized he didn't want to piss off the other southeast asian countries, massacred the people who he had wanted to invade Sabah so word would never go out about him wanting to invade Sabah, and then just left the idea for dead. No other president has attempted an invasion since.

My understanding was that Marcos made overtures that softened his stance on the claim at one point late in his reign, but it seems now that "reclaiming" Sabah is something politicians bring up once in a while as a popular saber rattle. Was Marcos' statement not indicative of the general attitude towards the claim at the time or was there some genuine change in the attitude of politicians after him?

Found it: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 0336&hl=en
Last edited by Conservative Republic Of Huang on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:05 pm

Sundiata wrote:
I hope to God not.

He's famous, has a 3.2 billion dollar net worth, and already is a senator. He's got a great shot.

It's always been kinda crazy to me that he's actually a big deal politically. It feels like someone just went out on a street in Ohio years ago with a monkey's paw and asked random Americans to name the first Filipino they could think of. The last thing I read about it was years ago, isn't he a rather nutty evangelical Christian type in politics? (Which I suppose you'd be sort of into, so that scans.)

Anyways, congrats to the Philippines on overthrowing the last dictator, though I wouldn't get too cozy
Last edited by Senkaku on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Indo States
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Indo States » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:09 pm

I hope Philippines would be look like Better without Duterte...
Fédération Fatimanienné - Fatiman Federation
Country of Freedom and Education

I DO NOT USE NATIONSTATES STATS

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:16 pm

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:

My understanding was that Marcos made overtures that softened his stance on the claim at one point late in his reign, but it seems now that "reclaiming" Sabah is something politicians bring up once in a while as a popular saber rattle. Was Marcos' statement not indicative of the general attitude towards the claim at the time or was there some genuine change in the attitude of politicians after him?

Found it: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 0336&hl=en

It really isn't a big deal. Politicians only bring it up as a means to jangle keys in front of people when they do something they want the people to forget. Like a scandal or a bad COVID response.

In reality nobody wants to invade Sabah, and the Philippine Army doesn't have the combat experience to mount an amphibious assault of Malaysia...
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:29 pm

Atheris wrote:

He's got what, an 85% approval rating? I don't know how, but he's beloved by many.

Edit: 91%, evidently. Christ.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Illusia and Neverendia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 07, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Illusia and Neverendia » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:32 pm

I wouldn't believe in those statistics if I were you.
Last edited by Illusia and Neverendia on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:32 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Atheris wrote:Hopefully Duterte will be overthrown like Marcos. The guy's a loony.

He's got what, an 85% approval rating? I don't know how, but he's beloved by many.

There is such a thing as lying.
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

There is such a thing as lying.

I mean, I'm not from the Philippines so maybe I'm naive for looking at every opinion poll out of there showing Duterte with sky-high approval ratings.

Again, I'm not the one with the first-hand experience here, so why would the polls be very very skewed/why would it be falsified? Is that a recurring problem in the Philippines? Because, believe me, I'd rather believe that he is unpopular.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Illusia and Neverendia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 07, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Illusia and Neverendia » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:39 pm

Major-Tom wrote:Why would the polls be very very skewed/why would it be falsified? Is that a recurring problem in the Philippines?

In a simple way, yes. See, even if PulseAsia is deemed "flawless" and "fair" according to the article, it's unavoidable to assume that a number of personalities may have slid some moolah to ensure that the approval rate is in favour of the regime.

Many of the accusations in the article are very true, and an authoritarian regime by the book would ultimately reject or deny any allegations by all means necessary.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:44 am

Upheld single-handedly the shoe sales.
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. Egli/Lui.
"Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee. Should I restart the bugger?
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:03 am

Risottia wrote:

Upheld single-handedly the shoe sales.

:rofl:
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General