NATION

PASSWORD

[WITHDRAWN] Ban on Microplastics in Cosmetics

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[WITHDRAWN] Ban on Microplastics in Cosmetics

Postby Goobergunchia » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:03 pm

Madam Secretary-General, I rise to call attention to a proposal that has attained quorum yet has not seen prior floor discussion. I ask that Proposal 1612283213, "Ban on Microplastics in Cosmetics", proposed by Saint Jonas, be reported:

GENERAL ASSEMBLY PROPOSAL
ID: saint_jonas_1612283213

Ban on Microplastics in Cosmetics
A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment, at the expense of industry.

Category: Environmental | Industry Affected: Manufacturing | Proposed by: Saint Jonas

Description:
  1. Realizing that
    microplastics are used in cosmetic products as abrasives, binders and fillers in creams, peelings or shower gels,

consumers are often not aware that many of their cosmetic and personal care products contain microplastics because there is no understandable reference on the packaging. The average consumer does not know that behind "polymethyl methacrylate" or "polyethylene terephthalate" plastics are hidden. Thus, they are subconsciously endangering the environment when they make a purchase decision:

2. Concerned that
    studies show that microplastics pose a significant threat to the marine ecosystem and that marine organisms absorb the microparticles. Due to ocean currents, this happens all over the world,

in addition, the microplastic particles ingested are often highly polluted, because plastic binds pollutants, attracts them like a magnet. If there are pollutants in the surrounding water that bind to the microplastic, the concentration is particularly high. The effects of microplastics on marine life include physiological disorders and increased death rates. When we eat contaminated fish and seafood, the microplastics end up on our plates.

3. Stating that
    cosmetics don't need plastic. This is because synthetic polymers in cosmetics can be replaced by natural substances such as salts or cellulose.
Hereby bans microplastics in all cosmetics and personal care products.

Co-authored by Malagga

Approved by 59 nations.

Madam Secretary-General, for purposes of debate on this proposal I waive any rights as the initiator of discussion on the same to its sponsor should they claim such rights. I yield the floor.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian WA Ambassador
Last edited by Goobergunchia on Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:15 pm

OOC: Given all AoE proposals need minimum significant strength, is just banning microplastics (undefined term, too) in cosmetics (and whatever else "personal care products" are supposed to be except rebranded cosmetics) strong enough? It sounds like a very narrow slice of all manufacturing industry and a very narrow ban of a poorly defined thing.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:22 pm

The correct title of this proposal is "Ban on microplastics in cosmetics" (with all letters except the first being in lower-case).

support ;p
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:23 pm

"Strongly opposed, and not just because I have a similar resolution drafted. Most notably, the term "microplastics" is undefined. If a member state defined a microplastic as a plastic particle smaller than 1 nanometer -- which is very micro indeed -- they could easily ignore the intent of this resolution, which is presumably to prevent the inclusion of plastic microbeads in cosmetic products. I agree that "microplastics pose a significant threat to the marine ecosystem," but cosmetics are a relatively small source of microplastic pollution. Runoff from synthetic fiber clothing, degradation of plastic waste, and others are just as (if not more) severe than microplastics in cosmetics. Furthermore, the resolution points out that consumers do not realize the presence of microplastics in cosmetics. Similarly, many other consumer decisions cause microplastic pollution. This means we ought to implement educational campaigns to inform people of microplastic pollution as well, which this resolution does not do. Ultimately, the scope of this resolution is far too narrow to effect any significant change."
Scalizagasti | iiwiki page | he/him

URA WA Affairs Department Head
Senator in Mariner Trench
Former President of The Great Experiment

Don't let them tell you it can't be done - Jack Layton

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:26 pm

Who needs definitions?
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:53 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:When we eat contaminated fish and seafood, the microplastics end up on our plates.

I don't understand this line. How can the Assembly eat seafood?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:10 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Goobergunchia wrote:When we eat contaminated fish and seafood, the microplastics end up on our plates.

I don't understand this line. How can the Assembly eat seafood?

Where there's a will, there's a way!

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:16 pm

Scalizagasti wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:I don't understand this line. How can the Assembly eat seafood?

Where there's a will, there's a way!

I too remember the time the Assembly flew over my house, aiming for the North Blackacre Sea, to get some fresh shrimp I would presume.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Postby Goobergunchia » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:45 pm

It seems only natural that the Festering Snakepit may also contain hydrophiinae.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:58 am

Goobergunchia wrote:It seems only natural that the Festering Snakepit may also contain hydrophiinae.

OOC: Made my day. :lol:
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Golexald
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 29, 2016

Postby Golexald » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:20 pm

"The delegation of Golexald would like to congratulate the sponsor of this proposal for reaching quorum and wishes it the best of luck on the voting floor. As a very environmentally sensitive nation, we will be voting for this proposal. Microplastics in cosmetic products have been known to pollute and damage water systems across our beautiful lands as well as gravely injure and even kill aquatic wildlife in these bodies of water. We cannot stand by idly while these ecosystems are destroyed by the cosmetics industry. We hope that others will follow in our path. Thank you."
Former member of the Rejected Realms WA Office, now just a random citizen
On and off for 7 years and going strong

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:41 pm

Golexald wrote:"Microplastics in cosmetic products have been known to pollute and damage water systems across our beautiful lands as well as gravely injure aquatic wildlife in these bodies of water."

Linda appeared surprised. "Really? How?"

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:49 pm

Golexald wrote:"The delegation of Golexald would like to congratulate the sponsor of this proposal for reaching quorum and wishes it the best of luck on the voting floor. As a very environmentally sensitive nation, we will be voting for this proposal. Microplastics in cosmetic products have been known to pollute and damage water systems across our beautiful lands as well as gravely injure and even kill aquatic wildlife in these bodies of water. We cannot stand by idly while these ecosystems are destroyed by the cosmetics industry. We hope that others will follow in our path. Thank you."

"Considering that most microplastics in the environment come from sources other than cosmetics, this resolution does not go far enough to protect the environment. It is a feel-good resolution that does nothing and will need to be repealed for better legislation. It does not even define what a microplastic is."

Saint Jonas
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jonas » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:23 am

Araraukar wrote:and whatever else "personal care products" are supposed to be except rebranded cosmetics

Cosmetics are usually used to accentuate or change a person's appearance. Personal care products clean and maintain parts of the body.

Saint Jonas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jonas » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:25 am

Scalizagasti wrote:I agree that "microplastics pose a significant threat to the marine ecosystem," but cosmetics are a relatively small source of microplastic pollution.

There are alternatives for microplastics in cosmetics (see section III.) - unlike for car tires for example, despite their abrasion also leads to microplastics.

Saint Jonas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jonas » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:29 am

Scalizagasti wrote:the term "microplastics" is undefined

Synthetic polymers (see section III.) are forbidden - regardless of any size, but no manufacturer does use like 5mm (maximum size of microplastics in RL, the same size you proposed) large plastic bowls in its shower gels ;-)
On top of that, in section I. the purposes of microplastics are listed.
That's why a specific size definition is redundant.

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:36 pm

Saint Jonas wrote:There are alternatives for microplastics in cosmetics (see section III.) - unlike for car tires for example, despite their abrasion also leads to microplastics.

"That does not address what I said. I agree that many eco-friendly alternatives to microbeads exist and ought to be used. However, compared to other sources of microplastic pollution, cosmetics are relatively small, meaning this resolution will not do enough to adequately combat microplastic pollution."

Saint Jonas wrote:Synthetic polymers (see section III.) are forbidden - regardless of any size, but no manufacturer does use like 5mm (maximum size of microplastics in RL, the same size you proposed) large plastic bowls in its shower gels ;-)
On top of that, in section I. the purposes of microplastics are listed.
That's why a specific size definition is redundant.

"No, synthetic polymers are not forbidden. The preamble states that synthetic polymers 'can be replaced' and 'cosmetics don't need plastic,' but that isn't a ban. The only thing banned are microplastics, which remain undefined."

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:46 pm

I would like to question why Saint Jonas' region has opened embassies with the region "Aryan Resistance". Considering that they are the WA Delegate for their region, I'm concerned that the existence of this embassy may be a tacit endorsement of fascism.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Saint Jonas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jonas » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:16 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:I would like to question why Saint Jonas' region has opened embassies with the region "Aryan Resistance". Considering that they are the WA Delegate for their region, I'm concerned that the existence of this embassy may be a tacit endorsement of fascism.

Wrong forum? And withdrawal is in progress...

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:40 pm

Saint Jonas wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:I would like to question why Saint Jonas' region has opened embassies with the region "Aryan Resistance". Considering that they are the WA Delegate for their region, I'm concerned that the existence of this embassy may be a tacit endorsement of fascism.

Wrong forum? And withdrawal is in progress...

It's not the wrong forum. Votes are inherently political in nature.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Saint Jonas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jonas » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:49 am

Thanks a lot to all those nations having written helpful advices! I have taken these into account and want to present a new draft: Ban on Plastics in Cosmetics

The World Assembly,

Realizing that
synthetic polymers are used in cosmetic products as abrasives, binders and fillers in creams, peelings or shower gels. Consumers are often not aware that many of their cosmetic and personal care products contain plastics because there is no understandable reference on the packaging. The average consumer does not know that behind "polymethyl methacrylate" or "polyethylene terephthalate" plastic is hidden. Thus, they are subconsciously endangering the environment when they make a purchase decision.

Concerned that
studies show that synthetic polymers pose a significant threat to the marine ecosystem and that marine organisms absorb these plastics. Due to ocean currents, this happens all over the world. In addition, the plastic particles ingested are often highly polluted because plastics bind pollutants like a magnet. The effects of synthetic polymers on marine life include physiological disorders and increased death rates. When contaminated fish and seafood is eaten, plastics end up in human bodies.

Stating that
cosmetics don't need plastics. This is because synthetic polymers in cosmetics can be replaced by natural substances such as salts or cellulose.

Hereby bans synthetic polymers in all cosmetics and personal care products.

What has changed?
Now definitely all plastics/synthetic polymers regardless of any size are forbidden.
The layout has changed + less bolding.
Minor errors are fixed.

Should I open a new topic about it?
Last edited by Saint Jonas on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:48 am

Saint Jonas wrote:Thanks a lot to all those nations having written helpful advices! I have taken these into account and want to present a new draft: Ban on Plastics in Cosmetics

The World Assembly,

Realizing that
synthetic polymers are used in cosmetic products as abrasives, binders and fillers in creams, peelings or shower gels. Consumers are often not aware that many of their cosmetic and personal care products contain plastics because there is no understandable reference on the packaging. The average consumer does not know that behind "polymethyl methacrylate" or "polyethylene terephthalate" plastic is hidden. Thus, they are subconsciously endangering the environment when they make a purchase decision.

Concerned that
studies show that synthetic polymers pose a significant threat to the marine ecosystem and that marine organisms absorb these plastics. Due to ocean currents, this happens all over the world. In addition, the plastic particles ingested are often highly polluted because plastics bind pollutants like a magnet. The effects of synthetic polymers on marine life include physiological disorders and increased death rates. When contaminated fish and seafood is eaten, plastics end up in human bodies.

Stating that
cosmetics don't need plastics. This is because synthetic polymers in cosmetics can be replaced by natural substances such as salts or cellulose.

What has changed?
Now definitely all plastics/synthetic polymers regardless of any size are forbidden.
Minor errors are fixed.

"I think this still needs to be more specific. Personal care products includes products like razors and toothbrushes, which means this draft would prohibit basically all commercially-viable toothbrushes. Handles are usually made of PP or PE and bristles are made of nylon. While the intended target is the plastic beads in rinse-off cosmetics this draft would currently do more than that."

Feyrisshire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 27, 2019
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Feyrisshire » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:54 am

Saint Jonas wrote:Thanks a lot to all those nations having written helpful advices! I have taken these into account and want to present a new draft: Ban on Plastics in Cosmetics

The World Assembly,

Realizing that

Concerned that

Stating that

What has changed?
Minor errors are fixed.

You haven't still withdrawn the original draft that has already reached quorum, meaning that problems with it are not going to be rectified if you are going to draft a new one.

Saint Jonas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jonas » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:10 am

Scalizagasti wrote:"I think this still needs to be more specific. Personal care products includes products like razors and toothbrushes, which means this draft would prohibit basically all commercially-viable toothbrushes. Handles are usually made of PP or PE and bristles are made of nylon. While the intended target is the plastic beads in rinse-off cosmetics this draft would currently do more than that."

You're right... Well, what about "consumable cosmetics and personal care products containing plastics if the plastics can be spat out or rinsed off"?

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Postby Goobergunchia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:47 pm

Saint Jonas wrote:Should I open a new topic about it?

Would be easier, since then you can update the OP.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?