NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Cannabis Legalization Convention

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Qvait
Envoy

Founded: Mar 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Cannabis Legalization Convention

Postby Qvait » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:18 pm

Going green on this one.

Recognizing GA#90 "Drug Trafficking Act" for providing the necessary regulation of the international trade of drugs and the prohibition of trafficking,

Acknowledging that the criminalization of cannabis possession, cultivation, distribution, and the sale thereof has resulted in,
  1. The overincarceration of persons in detention facilities, sometimes impeding states from imprisoning criminals who committed more heinous crimes;
  2. The limited ability of persons with cannabis possession, cultivation, distribution, or the sale thereof on their criminal records in finding adequate and stable employment upon completion of their term of detention;
  3. The undue strain on government spending and taxation on the enforcement of cannabis prohibition and the incarceration of persons found to be possessing, cultivating, distributing, or selling the drug;
Noting that cannabis is a drug that has several medicinal benefits that can prolong people's lives and alleviate their suffering, which includes but is not limited to:
  1. The alleviation of chronic pain;
  2. The reduction of symptoms related to chemotherapy and epilepsy;
  3. The minimization of anxiety, stress, and depression;
Concerned that the continued prohibition of cannabis will cause further strain on states and lifelong damage to the social life of inhabitants of all member states,

The World Assembly hereby,
  1. Legalizes the possession, cultivation, distribution, and sale of cannabis in member states;
  2. Requires member states to:
    1. Release all persons detained for the possession, cultivation, distribution, and sale of cannabis unless also detained for other crimes;
    2. Expunge the possession, cultivation, distribution, and sale of cannabis from all persons' criminal records;
    3. Issue licenses that allow persons to cultivate, distribute, or sell cannabis;
  3. Permits member states to impose:
    1. Regulations on the quality of the cannabis that persons are cultivating, distributing, or selling;
    2. Limitations on the issuance of licenses to persons who fail to meet prerequisite environmental and health laws and regulations;
    3. Restrictions on the possession, cultivation, distribution, and sale of cannabis:
      1. By or to persons who have not reached the age of majority,
      2. In public facilities, except in facilities that legally dispense drugs,
    4. Restrictions on cannabis imports that fail to meet a member states' laws and regulations on the environment, health, or trade;
    5. Restrictions on the use of cannabis similar to impositions on other legal drugs and substances, such as use before or during the operation of a vehicle.
Last edited by Qvait on Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:24 pm

"Looks good to us. Can't wait to vote for it."

Wayne
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:55 pm

People can possess and grow hemp but nations can still ban sellers, almost kinda making this useless.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:01 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:People can possess and grow hemp but nations can still ban sellers, almost kinda making this useless.

Apologies, that was an oversight on my end. I have amended the draft to account for the sale of cannabis.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:39 am

This may be a contradiction, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30&p=4524724&hilit=mousebumples#p4524724 that resolution "respects the right" for nations to make their own rec. drug use laws.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:37 am

Qvait wrote:Permits all member states in imposing

"Permits member states to impose" instead?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:18 am

Jedinsto wrote:This may be a contradiction, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30&p=4524724&hilit=mousebumples#p4524724 that resolution "respects the right" for nations to make their own rec. drug use laws.

That clause is a preamble clause. Given the following, I'd imagine the best way to read it would be minimally.

CLARIFIES that nothing in this text limits a member state's ability to outlaw or legalize recreational use of MEDs or other drugs.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:54 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Qvait wrote:Permits all member states in imposing

"Permits member states to impose" instead?

Done.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Ionida
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 27, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ionida » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:06 pm

Ambassador,
I would suggest that selling should still be illegal. For example, if someone had still obtained the substance from an unlicensed seller, this would still be as illegal as selling counterfeit goods.
Also believe proper licencing and regulation is required of course since it is still very dangerous.
'From devout service arises freedom'

Member of LITA

Ionida's views are not necessarily representative of RL views.
1NSD = 1.16IDD

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:49 pm

Ionida wrote:Ambassador,
I would suggest that selling should still be illegal. For example, if someone had still obtained the substance from an unlicensed seller, this would still be as illegal as selling counterfeit goods.
Also believe proper licencing and regulation is required of course since it is still very dangerous.

I've reworded the final part of the draft, but the draft as it was and is currently written will allow states to impose the necessary restrictions on unlicensed selling.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:07 pm

If you force member nations to legalise sale and then also allow them to regulate how much may be sold, what stops them from setting the yearly sale-cap to one gramme of cannabis?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:29 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:If you force member nations to legalise sale and then also allow them to regulate how much may be sold, what stops them from setting the yearly sale-cap to one gramme of cannabis?

I've removed those limitations.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:56 pm

Qvait wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:If you force member nations to legalise sale and then also allow them to regulate how much may be sold, what stops them from setting the yearly sale-cap to one gramme of cannabis?

I've removed those limitations.

Same thing with licensing. How can you have full legalisation if member nations issue no licences?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017

Postby Greater Cesnica » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:29 pm

OOC: I fully support the idea of this legislation. However, you need to go beyond legalization- you need to define regulations within the resolution text, at least to the degree that nations cannot use the broad power of regulatory authority to just refuse to give licenses or approve sellers, or set caps on cannabis sales, or that sets extremely stifling limits on cultivation.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:48 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Same thing with licensing. How can you have full legalisation if member nations issue no licences?

Greater Cesnica wrote:OOC: I fully support the idea of this legislation. However, you need to go beyond legalization- you need to define regulations within the resolution text, at least to the degree that nations cannot use the broad power of regulatory authority to just refuse to give licenses or approve sellers, or set caps on cannabis sales, or that sets extremely stifling limits on cultivation.

I've made revisions according to both of your concerns and added a few more things. Please make sure to review the draft to see if it meets your expectations or if there are other concerns.
Last edited by Qvait on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:06 am

OOC: Is 3a supposed to be quantity rather than quality?
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:54 am

OOC: You should (if for some reason you want to continue this insanity) at the very least allow nations to set similar limits as are set to alcohol or tobacco use. 3.d. as it currently reads is not enough.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:16 pm

Ardiveds wrote:OOC: Is 3a supposed to be quantity rather than quality?

No, I willfully chose the word "quality".

Araraukar wrote:OOC: You should (if for some reason you want to continue this insanity) at the very least allow nations to set similar limits as are set to alcohol or tobacco use. 3.d. as it currently reads is not enough.

I hope the amended draft meets your expectations.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:18 pm

I don’t really see this as a WA issue.

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:36 pm

Comfed wrote:I don’t really see this as a WA issue.

I have to disagree with you on this. There are many other resolutions of this kind that someone could argue such, but that doesn't change that the resolution should not be proposed or pass on its merits. The issue of legalizing cannabis is one that goes beyond national borders and affects many.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:28 pm

I also don't see it as an international issue. Being able to buy or sell cannabis isn't anything approaching a human right.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:32 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I also don't see it as an international issue. Being able to buy or sell cannabis isn't anything approaching a human right.

This proposal is about much more than buying or selling cannabis, it is about providing access to a drug that may mean life or death for many people, and there are nations that actively deny their people the right to live by continuing the prohibition of a drug that serves as a means of prolonging people's lives and alleviating their suffering. If we agree that the right to life is a human right, then that must also mean that access to cannabis is a human right.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:36 pm

Qvait wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:I also don't see it as an international issue. Being able to buy or sell cannabis isn't anything approaching a human right.

This proposal is about much more than buying or selling cannabis, it is about providing access to a drug that may mean life or death for many people [...]

GA#124 "Essential Medication Act."
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:54 pm

I would also like to add that the proposal absolves all people of victimless crimes related to cannabis.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:47 am

Qvait wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: You should (if for some reason you want to continue this insanity) at the very least allow nations to set similar limits as are set to alcohol or tobacco use. 3.d. as it currently reads is not enough.

I hope the amended draft meets your expectations.

OOC: As clause three currently stands, it's as good as I suspect I'll be able to get out of a pro-drugs writer.
Qvait wrote:3. Permits member states to impose:
  1. Regulations on the quality of the cannabis that persons are cultivating, distributing, or selling;
  2. Limitations on the issuance of licenses to persons who fail to meet prerequisite environmental and health laws and regulations;
  3. Restrictions on the possession, cultivation, distribution, and sale of cannabis:
    1. By or to persons who have not reached the age of majority,
    2. In public facilities, except in facilities that legally dispense drugs,
  4. Restrictions on cannabis imports that fail to meet a member states' laws and regulations on the environment, health, or trade;
  5. Restrictions on the use of cannabis similar to impositions on other legal drugs and substances, such as use before or during the operation of a vehicle.

Comfed wrote:I don’t really see this as a WA issue.

OOC: Me neither. What the medical use legislation doesn't cover, falls under purely national - if not regional - issues.

Qvait wrote:I would also like to add that the proposal absolves all people of victimless crimes related to cannabis.

OOC: There is NO victimless use of a recreational drug, EVER. And here's why you'll never be able to convince me otherwise:
I would apologize for this rant if this topic did not for personal reasons piss me off so much. I do apologize for (bolded capslock) yelling, but I WOULD yell at you in RL too, so I think it's justified. I've spoilered it however to avoid making the thread look untidy.

OVER THE PAST SIX MONTHS A (self-censored-word-here) DRUGGIE ADDICTED TO ALCOHOL AND MARIJUANA AND TOBACCO (and possibly something else I don't care to know about) MADE MY LIFE HELL, SMOKING HIS DRUGS INDOORS AND IN HIS ADDLED STATE ROARING (honestly, not even joking, you wouldn't have believed the sounds were made by a human) AND SHOUTING AND LISTENING TO BASS-HEAVY MUSIC IN A BUILDING WITH ZERO SOUND INSULATION BETWEEN FLOORS (and bouncing a ball or something on his floor which multiplied every thump and other mechanical noise) SO I COULD NOT SLEEP MORE THAN AN HOUR OR TWO HERE AND THERE FOR TWO MONTHS STRAIGHT!!!

HE FUCKED UP MY LIFE JUST AS A NEIGHBOUR TO THE POINT WHERE I NOW HAVE A CHRONIC UPPER RESPIRATORY ISSUE WITH LIKELY LIFE-LONG MEDICATION (I've had it all my life but it was never before so bad I needed meds for it, now I pretty can't breathe at night without the meds) DUE TO SECOND-HAND SMOKE INHALATION AS THE SMOKE TRAVELED NOT JUST THROUGH THE BUILDING VENTILATION BUT ALSO VIA THE DUCTS THE ELECTRIC WIRING TRAVELS BECAUSE THE (self-censored-word-here) DRUGGIE HAD DRILLED HOLES IN HIS WALLS WHEN HIGH WITHOUT CARING WHERE THOSE DUCTS WENT, AND I ENDED UP WITH BURNOUT SIMPLY FROM LIVING IN MY OWN APARTMENT (most places I'd otherwise spend time in are closed due to Covid) AND NOW HAVE TO COPE WITH FUCKING PTSD PANIC ATTACKS EVERY TIME THERE ARE LOUD VOICES OR MUSIC OR STRUCTURAL NOISES FROM ABOVE.

CANNABIS ISN'T EVEN LEGAL HERE AND THE FUCKER POISONED ME WITH IT TOO.

The contents of the rant also explain why I have been largely away from here this winter and why seasonal winter depression has hit me so hard this winter.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly