NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED - 2/5/2021] The Lowest Form of Wit

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

[SUBMITTED - 2/5/2021] The Lowest Form of Wit

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:47 pm

[description]@@RANDOMNAME1@@, your Minister of Health, became a target of criticism when @@HE1@@ responded to an opposition politician's colorful insults by saying "Maybe you should consider rinsing your dirty mouth with bleach. It might even help you get rid of that bad breath." But unfortunately some citizens took this 'advice' literally. Over night, thousands of people were hospitalized because they had accidentally swallowed bleach while gargling.

[validity]not autocratic, low intelligence

1. [option]"Look, it is not my problem that some people in this country are not the sharpest knives in the drawer," snorts @@RANDOMNAME1@@, throwing @@HIS1@@ arms up in exasperation. "Sarcasm, people! It shouldn't be so hard to understand. Even my 5-year-old niece gets the joke. Maybe it is time you invested some money in education so people could learn about rhetorical devices like sarcasm in their literature classes. Geez."

[effect]@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are getting armed and ready for a battle of wits

2. [option]"Nonsense, people holding public office need to have full accountability over their statements," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a patient recently discharged from a local hospital after a gastric lavage, popping a mint-flavored bubble gum in your face. "If the Health Minister @@HIM1@@self comes up and says 'use bleach for bad breath', who am I to doubt @@HIS1@@ authority? I think we need to ban sarcasm and all forms of linguistic ambiguity from political discourse and prosecute this minister for jeopardizing our lives!"

[effect]@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ find their politicians more boring than foreigners

3. [option]"Banning sarcasm? No way! This actually gives me a great idea!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Alternative Solutions, rubbing @@HIS@@ hands excitedly. "If anything, we should encourage our party members to use as much equivocation in their speeches as possible, so they have plausible deniability if a statement of theirs falls flat. Did you make an unfortunate remark about Bigtopians? Just say it was sarcasm, problem solved!"

[effect]authors of law proposals that get voted down claim that it had all been sarcasm anyway
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:51 am

Another really solid one, Frieden. Honestly the only read feedback I can give is maybe some condensing of the description?
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:43 pm

Lelscrep wrote:Another really solid one, Frieden. Honestly the only read feedback I can give is maybe some condensing of the description?

Not sure how I could condense the description without losing the narrative. But rephrased the last sentence for better flow, as the previous version sounded too cumbersome.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:10 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Lelscrep wrote:Another really solid one, Frieden. Honestly the only read feedback I can give is maybe some condensing of the description?

Not sure how I could condense the description without losing the narrative. But rephrased the last sentence for better flow, as the previous version sounded too cumbersome.

You could probably preserve most of it without this sentence: What sent @@NAME@@ into a flurry was not @@HIS1@@ witticism, however, but rather that some people took this advice literally.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Forlania
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Forlania » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:25 am

Fauxia wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Not sure how I could condense the description without losing the narrative. But rephrased the last sentence for better flow, as the previous version sounded too cumbersome.

You could probably preserve most of it without this sentence: What sent @@NAME@@ into a flurry was not @@HIS1@@ witticism, however, but rather that some people took this advice literally.

Agreed, you're on the right track.I think it would flow well if done similarly to:
"Unfortunately, some people took this advice literally. Over night, thousands of people were hospitalized because they had accidentally swallowed bleach while gargling."
Economic Left/Right: -4.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.38

Centauri Central News: Comet SX389 is expected to make a pass near the binary system on Tuesday. Officials recommend tourists stay out of the immediate area & recommend checking the FASA website for safe viewing coordinates.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:58 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Not sure how I could condense the description without losing the narrative. But rephrased the last sentence for better flow, as the previous version sounded too cumbersome.

Forlania wrote:
Fauxia wrote:You could probably preserve most of it without this sentence: What sent @@NAME@@ into a flurry was not @@HIS1@@ witticism, however, but rather that some people took this advice literally.

Agreed, you're on the right track.I think it would flow well if done similarly to:
"Unfortunately, some people took this advice literally. Over night, thousands of people were hospitalized because they had accidentally swallowed bleach while gargling."

OK, good suggestion. I trimmed that sentence.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:44 pm

The difference between this and what Donald Trump did was that this is clearly an insult, whilst Trump's actions could have been interpreted as legitimate Covid advice. "Go drink bleach you idiot" is different to "Bleach will cure the common cold"
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:43 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:The difference between this and what Donald Trump did was that this is clearly an insult, whilst Trump's actions could have been interpreted as legitimate Covid advice. "Go drink bleach you idiot" is different to "Bleach will cure the common cold"

Sure, I am aware of that. But it is not funny if a government official is as stupid as Trump and offers this as legitimate advice. It is just pathetic. In a desperate attempt to save his hide, Trump later claimed that his comments had been "sarcasm," but we know that this was not the case.

This issue tackles a different (and in my opinion, funnier) scenario - what if a person of authority really uses sarcasm and people just do not 'get' it?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:29 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:The difference between this and what Donald Trump did was that this is clearly an insult, whilst Trump's actions could have been interpreted as legitimate Covid advice. "Go drink bleach you idiot" is different to "Bleach will cure the common cold"

Sure, I am aware of that. But it is not funny if a government official is as stupid as Trump and offers this as legitimate advice. It is just pathetic. In a desperate attempt to save his hide, Trump later claimed that his comments had been "sarcasm," but we know that this was not the case.

This issue tackles a different (and in my opinion, funnier) scenario - what if a person of authority really uses sarcasm and people just do not 'get' it?

Okay, carry on
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:11 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote: 'Maybe you should consider rinsing your dirty mouth with bleach. It might even help you get rid of that bad breath.'

Speech requires speech marks.

And you're giving the randomnames unnecessary numbers again! Only option 1 and the himself and his in option 2 require numbers.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:02 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote: 'Maybe you should consider rinsing your dirty mouth with bleach. It might even help you get rid of that bad breath.'

Speech requires speech marks.

And you're giving the randomnames unnecessary numbers again! Only option 1 and the himself and his in option 2 require numbers.

Fixed, thanks! :blush:

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?