NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Astronauts Demand More Space

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Dominos Pizza Restaurant
Secretary

Founded: Oct 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Astronauts Demand More Space

Postby Dominos Pizza Restaurant » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:20 am

Another idea I've been adding to over the past month or so. Based upon the Skylab 4 strike.
Title: Astronauts Demand More Space

Prerequisites: Space program

Issue: One day, the crew aboard the @@NAME@@ Space Station have stopped performing their daily tasks, stating they will only resume once their workload is reduced.

Option 1: “How am I expected to live like this?” states Gerald Truckk, a crew member aboard the station, over a video call. “I sometimes go up to thirty-six hours without a single second of sleep! We demand breaks every two hours, with twelve hours of sleep time. Also, mind spicing up the palette while you’re at it?”
Effect: @@NAME@@ space stations put five-star hotels to shame.

Option 2: “I mean, I understand their concerns, but there’s a bigger picture to this”, says @@RANDOMNAME@@, director of the @@CAPITAL@@ Space Center. “These schedules are built around our capital and infrastructure. If they can’t do it, we’ll send someone else up there, plain and simple”.
Effect: @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ astronauts train for missions by living in wire-filled caskets.

Option 3a (Private industry): “Humans are so last epoch”, claims Row Baut, CEO of @@CAPITAL@@ Dynamics, “Rob- ahem, autonomous humanoids can work for days on end without rest, can perform dozens of complex tasks simultaneously, and won’t complain about its environment! As for the obsolete humans, well, there should be plenty of work cut out for them.”
Effect: Aspiring astronauts of @@NAME@@ have their dreams crushed by metal feet.

Option 3b (No private industry) “The problem is that living beings need things”, adds your Technology Advisor, “So, why don’t we swap out our biological assets with mechanical ones? I assure you, we’ll see productivity, safety, and, uh, other stuff, skyrocket!”
Effect: Aspiring astronauts of @@NAME@@ have their dreams crushed by metal feet.

Option 4: “You’re doing WHAT?” yells @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, a passerby who just appeared in your office, “We already know what’s in space: some glowing dust and rocks, big deal. How about we solve our problems down here first, and then we look at your little rocket toys?”
Effect: Rocket scientists are unsurprisingly inept at solving socio-economic dilemmas.

Issue: After weeks of grueling research, the crew of the @@NAME@@ Space Station claim they’ve had enough. After a period of no communication, they have accepted an offer to negotiate for better conditions.

Option 1: “How am I expected to live like this?” states @@RANDOMNAME@@, a crew member aboard the station, over a video call. “I sometimes go up to thirty-six hours without a single second of sleep! We demand breaks every two hours, with ten hours of sleep time. Also, mind spicing up the palette while you’re at it?”
Effect: @@NAME@@ space stations put five-star hotels to shame

Option 2: “I mean, I understand their concerns, but there’s a bigger picture to this”, says @@RANDOMNAME@@, director of the @@CAPITAL@@ Space Center. “Each minute on that station costs us thousands of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@! If they are unable, or unwilling, to complete the tasks laid before them, we won’t struggle to find some suitable replacements.”
Effect: @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ astronauts train for missions by living in wire-filled caskets

Option 3a (Market-planned economy): “Humans are so last epoch”, claims Row Baut, CEO of @@CAPITAL@@ Dynamics, “Rob- ahem, autonomous humanoids can work for days on end without rest, can perform dozens of complex tasks simultaneously, and won’t complain about its environment! If you show us a few @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@, this tech can be yours. As for the obsolete humans, well, we could use a few technicians.”
Effect: aspiring astronauts of @@NAME@@ have their dreams crushed by metal feet

Option 3b (State-planned economy) “The problem is that living beings need things”, adds your Technology Advisor, “So, why don’t we swap out our biological assets with mechanical ones? Then, we won’t have to send food, mail, and air every month or so! As for our crew members, eh, I’m sure they will enjoy a more down-to-earth position.”

Option 4: “Look what you’re doing, @@LEADER@@!” shouts @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, a passerby, who mysteriously made @@HIS@@ way into your office, “These poor people have to live in a tin can for months on end, spend every waking second working their behinds off, and get grilled for taking a breather! How would you feel in their situation, huh? Save us some tax @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@, and end this madness!”
Effect: rocket scientists struggle to cope with general labor

Draft 3:

Issue: After weeks of grueling research, the crew of the @@NAME@@ Space Station claim they’ve had enough. With the @@NAME@@ Space Program refusing to cave to their demands, you have been called in to clear this gridlock.

Option 1: “How am I expected to live like this?” states @@RANDOMNAME@@, a crew member aboard the station, over a video call. “I sometimes go up to thirty-six hours without a single second of sleep! We demand breaks every two hours, with ten hours of sleep time. Also, mind spicing up the palette while you’re at it?”
Effect: @@NAME@@ space stations put five-star hotels to shame

Option 2: “I mean, I understand their concerns, but there’s a bigger picture to this”, says @@RANDOMNAME@@, director of the @@CAPITAL@@ Space Center. “Each minute on that station costs us thousands of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@! If they are unable, or unwilling, to complete the tasks laid before them, we can easily find some suitable replacements.”
Effect: @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ astronauts train for missions by living in wire-filled caskets

Option 3a (Market-planned economy): “Humans are so last epoch”, claims Anne Droid, CEO of @@CAPITAL@@ Dynamics, “Rob- ahem, autonomous humanoids can work for days on end without rest, can perform dozens of complex tasks simultaneously, and won’t complain about its environment! If you show us a few @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@, this tech can be yours. As for the obsolete humans, well, we could use a few technicians.”

Option 3b (State-planned economy) “The problem is that living beings need things”, adds your Technology Advisor, “So, why don’t we swap out our biological assets with mechanical ones? Then, we won’t have to send food, mail, and air every month or so! As for our crew members, eh, I’m sure they will enjoy a more down-to-earth position.”

Option 4: “Look what you’re doing, @@LEADER@@!” shouts @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, a passerby, who mysteriously made @@HIS@@ way into your office, “These poor people have to live in a tin can for months on end, spend every waking second working their behinds off, and get grilled for taking a breather! How would you feel in their situation, huh? Save us some tax @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@, and end this madness!”
Effect: rocket scientists struggle to cope with general labor

As always, if something is (inevitably) not quite right, feel free to leave some feedback.
Last edited by Dominos Pizza Restaurant on Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Suriyanakhon wrote:
Nilokeras wrote:Ah yes, our primate cousins the bonobos, where conflicts with outsiders are solved by having sex with them then cuddling.

That would be... an interesting solution to international diplomacy. Trump x Khamenei when?

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Wexas wrote:What's your Etsy? I need this in my life.

B O W D O W N T O T H E G E O R G E .

Neanderthaland wrote:

Is it bad that I kinda want one?

The Blaatschapen wrote:I would be committing fraud. I do not have a soul, so I cannot sell it.
And committing fraud for a 50 pound gain, meh. Not doing it.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:32 pm

Hey there! Though the actual veracity of the Skylab 4 Strike occurring as such is questionable, this is a solid premise. Just a quick note: Issue effects are not sentences. no capitalization at the beginning and no period at the end

Dominos Pizza Restaurant wrote:One day, the crew aboard the @@NAME@@ Space Station have stopped performing their daily tasks, stating they will only resume once their workload is reduced.

Can't start with "one day"; as they say, "it no do syntax". But the description as a whole is quite bare right now. A bit of background wouldn't hurt, probably.

Dominos Pizza Restaurant wrote:Option 1: “How am I expected to live like this?” states Gerald Truckk, a crew member aboard the station, over a video call. “I sometimes go up to thirty-six hours without a single second of sleep! We demand breaks every two hours, with twelve hours of sleep time. Also, mind spicing up the palette while you’re at it?”
Effect: @@NAME@@ space stations put five-star hotels to shame.

Maybe twelve hours of sleep time is a bit much? I realize it's supposed to be a demand for luxury, but that pushes it a bit.

Dominos Pizza Restaurant wrote:Option 2: “I mean, I understand their concerns, but there’s a bigger picture to this”, says @@RANDOMNAME@@, director of the @@CAPITAL@@ Space Center. “These schedules are built around our capital and infrastructure. If they can’t do it, we’ll send someone else up there, plain and simple”.
Effect: @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ astronauts train for missions by living in wire-filled caskets.

Doesn't have to be so quick if the other options are longer. The speaker should emphasize how expensive it is for them to waste time.

Dominos Pizza Restaurant wrote:Option 3a (Private industry): “Humans are so last epoch”, claims Row Baut, CEO of @@CAPITAL@@ Dynamics, “Rob- ahem, autonomous humanoids can work for days on end without rest, can perform dozens of complex tasks simultaneously, and won’t complain about its environment! As for the obsolete humans, well, there should be plenty of work cut out for them.”

Option 3b (No private industry) “The problem is that living beings need things”, adds your Technology Advisor, “So, why don’t we swap out our biological assets with mechanical ones? I assure you, we’ll see productivity, safety, and, uh, other stuff, skyrocket!”

Not sure this is the right way to toggle it. A lot of nations with private industry still have nationalized space agencies. You should toggle it according to that. If there isn't a policy for that, use options from issue #574.

Speaking of that, if it's a private company in space, it can probably do whatever the heck it wants, unless they chose certain options from #193. If you want to make the option relevant, they should probably ask for subsidies.

Dominos Pizza Restaurant wrote:Option 4: “You’re doing WHAT?” yells @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, a passerby who just appeared in your office, “We already know what’s in space: some glowing dust and rocks, big deal. How about we solve our problems down here first, and then we look at your little rocket toys?”

This is an issue that actually is an opportune one for a reversal. But it ought to be relevant to the issue. Why would the speaker ignore the obvious argument for their point that's right on @@LEADER@@'s mind? They should say either that space has terrible psychological effects and they need to get rid of it, or that they're astronauts are all lazy and nothing gets accomplished?

Good luck with your issue :). It's a good one, just needs a bit of work.
Last edited by Fauxia on Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:24 pm

Why are astronauts being worked so hard? And why only astronauts? Wouldn't the topic of healthy working hours apply to all citizens?

Dominos Pizza Restaurant
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dominos Pizza Restaurant » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:17 am

Second draft. Now to answer some questions:
Fauxia wrote:Speaking of that, if it's a private company in space, it can probably do whatever the heck it wants, unless they chose certain options from #193. If you want to make the option relevant, they should probably ask for subsidies.

That was my intention with it, which I've tried to clarify in the second draft.
Baggieland wrote:Why are astronauts being worked so hard? And why only astronauts? Wouldn't the topic of healthy working hours apply to all citizens?

I believe this is already addressed in Issue #1056. Wanted to address astronauts specifically due to their unique situation.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Let me know if anything else that looks off.
Suriyanakhon wrote:
Nilokeras wrote:Ah yes, our primate cousins the bonobos, where conflicts with outsiders are solved by having sex with them then cuddling.

That would be... an interesting solution to international diplomacy. Trump x Khamenei when?

Neanderthaland wrote:

The Blaatschapen wrote:I would be committing fraud. I do not have a soul, so I cannot sell it.

Delta Vega IV
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 01, 2012

Postby Delta Vega IV » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:48 pm

1. Option 2, "we won't struggle to find": My native language is not English, but this sounds a bit weird to me. "We won't struggle" sounds to me like "We won't bother to make the effort." Sorry if this impression results from my lack of knowledge of English idioms.

2. I don't like the name chosen for the CEO, "Row Baut." I guess it's a pun on "Rowboat," but I find it a bit strained.

These are just my 2-cent reservations as a casual observer.
--Lord Ochranop, Chief Ijstragnorph of the Galactic Commonwealth Cloud Data Storage of Delta Vega IV, Sugpalopf galaxy

Dominos Pizza Restaurant
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dominos Pizza Restaurant » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:31 pm

Delta Vega IV wrote:1. Option 2, "we won't struggle to find": My native language is not English, but this sounds a bit weird to me. "We won't struggle" sounds to me like "We won't bother to make the effort." Sorry if this impression results from my lack of knowledge of English idioms.

2. I don't like the name chosen for the CEO, "Row Baut." I guess it's a pun on "Rowboat," but I find it a bit strained.

For the first concern, I tried to reference G-Man's speech from Half-Life: Alyx. Part of the option read just like it, so I chose to go all the way. I admit it doesn't sit too well, I'll probably change it.
As for the CEO name, I tried to make a pun on the word "robot", but if that reads weirdly, I could change it to something else, like "Ann Droid", or "Cy Borg"
Suriyanakhon wrote:

Neanderthaland wrote:

Delta Vega IV
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 01, 2012

Postby Delta Vega IV » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:59 am

Dominos Pizza Restaurant wrote:
Delta Vega IV wrote:1. Option 2, "we won't struggle to find": My native language is not English, but this sounds a bit weird to me. "We won't struggle" sounds to me like "We won't bother to make the effort." Sorry if this impression results from my lack of knowledge of English idioms.

For the first concern, I tried to reference G-Man's speech from Half-Life: Alyx. Part of the option read just like it, so I chose to go all the way. I admit it doesn't sit too well, I'll probably change it.
As for the CEO name, I tried to make a pun on the word "robot", but if that reads weirdly, I could change it to something else, like "Ann Droid", or "Cy Borg"

I like Ann Droid. A lot better, in my opinion, than Row Baut or Cy Borg.
--Lord Ochranop, Chief Ijstragnorph of the Galactic Commonwealth Cloud Data Storage of Delta Vega IV, Sugpalopf galaxy

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:22 pm

Why would leader have a say in this? What does leader know about space travel?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Dominos Pizza Restaurant
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dominos Pizza Restaurant » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:53 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Why would leader have a say in this? What does leader know about space travel?

I see it as leader resolving a dispute between the agency and the astronauts. Leader has to step in, as both sides have become firm in their stances. Maybe something to address in the third draft.
Suriyanakhon wrote:

Neanderthaland wrote:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:02 pm

There should be something to address that in the third draft, yes
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Dominos Pizza Restaurant
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dominos Pizza Restaurant » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:28 am

Draft 3 is out. Fixed some issues, explained the situation a bit clearer.
Suriyanakhon wrote:

Neanderthaland wrote:

Dominos Pizza Restaurant
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dominos Pizza Restaurant » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:57 am

/bump
Suriyanakhon wrote:

Neanderthaland wrote:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?