NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread XI: Anicetus’ Revenge

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
38%
Eastern Orthodox
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
10%
Methodist
2%
Baptist
9%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
9%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
5%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 695

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:04 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Aeritai wrote:I wonder where all the Protestant users went... I remember when I first came to this thread there was a quite a few back then and now they seem to gone.

Nothing wrong with Catholics and Other users posting here (I respect you guys) just generally curious on where the Protestant users went.

Aggressive gatekeeping by the Cathodox contingent makes it more or less impossible for Protestants to hang around in this thread without absurdly thick skins.

I agree. Because there's so many of us it might be better if we were more delicate with posters who disagree. I do my best but sometimes it's just not enough. That's fine though, we're all trying to do our best.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Love as Essence

Postby Sundiata » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:58 am

Aristotle said that man is a rational animal. Jesus Christ says no, that man is a loving animal. Or in other words, that it is love that makes us human, at least to Jesus Christ. Love remains true as we develop through life.

As we grow we might notice our attitudes and beliefs changing. These might be a big deal to some of us but all of these characteristics are only accidence. Things that aren't necessary for you to be a true human being. The color of your hair or your emotions doesn't define what you are, neither does your skin color, the race you identify as, or your favorite sports team. We are made for love.

What things do you do on a regular basis that align with what you really are? A loving animal?
Last edited by Sundiata on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:07 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Aeritai wrote:I wonder where all the Protestant users went... I remember when I first came to this thread there was a quite a few back then and now they seem to gone.

Nothing wrong with Catholics and Other users posting here (I respect you guys) just generally curious on where the Protestant users went.

Part of it is that a few converted, like me (although not really because of NSG or the posters here), and part of it is that we get too combative and there's more Catholics than protestants so it turns into a dogpile. Which isn't really pleasant to be in.

Yeah, we’ve had a few scraps in here recently that have probably scared some people away. Which makes me sad. :(
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:45 am

I think that it might sound like a jump to ask what you do to demonstrate your nature.

It's not though, especially when you realize that you can't understand a person's soul or its state in relation to the purpose of a human being: to love. It doesn't logically follow therefore, to judge a person's nature upon the basis of deeds. That isn't to say that deeds are valueless or unimportant. It is to say that one's deeds do not determine the nature of the human person, which is love.

Why do you guys think love doesn't stop at what people are but extends into what we do?

Why do love?

Or more narrowly, why do you believe that we should act in line with the loving nature that Jesus Christ defines? Especially if it doesn't change how you essentially are.
Last edited by Sundiata on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:12 am

Luminesa wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Part of it is that a few converted, like me (although not really because of NSG or the posters here), and part of it is that we get too combative and there's more Catholics than protestants so it turns into a dogpile. Which isn't really pleasant to be in.

Yeah, we’ve had a few scraps in here recently that have probably scared some people away. Which makes me sad. :(

This is certainly why I no longer post here. I find it impossible, in this thread, to do three things at once: 1) be faithful and honest about my Protestant beliefs, 2) treat folks with the unjudgmental compassion and gentleness that I expect of myself, and 3) insist as far as possible upon being treated the same way. The level of aggression is so great that I am obliged either to dissimulate, to retaliate, or to be a doormat. Since none of those are acceptable options, I stay away.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:55 am

To go back about paganism.
I've two topics, I'll try to make them brief.

Paganism Side A: How much the pagan custom of "magic words" still lingers inside the english usage of language?
The pagan custom of words having magical power, is the belief that words are not just sounds to communicate thoughts between persons, but it's the belief that words by themselves also hold the power or ability to directly influence the world.
The belief of magic words could be the basis of the ideas of spell casting and magic formulas. By thinking that some specific words, or some specific combinations of them, could have some supernatural effect on things or persons.

Isn't the belief of words having magical power sort of related to the bad habit of literalism? As to believe a word can have meaning even if taken out of its context. As if the word itself could express something, to be meaning in itself, rather than being part of a discourse.
How much the belief of magic words did influence or interfere with christianity in the west?

My take is that there is still a visible trace of the belief of magic words inside the english understanding of language. Mainly because I see that pagan belief to be very closely related to literalism, which is overly present in most of english communication.

Paganism Side B: Is moral relativism related to polytheism?
Does the belief in the existence of multiple deities makes it easier, or even necessary, for there being multiple different moralities, which sort of coexist by a principle which is just relativism?
Conversely, did monotheism and christianity contribute to push moral relativism out of use? (together with pushing out of use the inconsistency and expediency which relativism brings along)
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/222881/

hmag

pagan american empireLiberalism is a LieWhat is Hell

"The whole is something else than the sum of its parts" -Kurt Koffka

A fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine, but was unable to.
As he went away, the fox remarked 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet!'
As such are people who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain.
-The Fox and the Grapes

"Dictionaries don't decide what words mean. Prescriptivism is the ultimate form of elitism." -United Muscovite Nations
or subtle illiteracy, or lazy sidetracking. Just fucking follow the context. And ask when in doubt.

Not-asimov

We're all a bit stupid and ignorant, just be humble about it.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:23 am

Reverend Norv wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Yeah, we’ve had a few scraps in here recently that have probably scared some people away. Which makes me sad. :(

This is certainly why I no longer post here. I find it impossible, in this thread, to do three things at once: 1) be faithful and honest about my Protestant beliefs, 2) treat folks with the unjudgmental compassion and gentleness that I expect of myself, and 3) insist as far as possible upon being treated the same way. The level of aggression is so great that I am obliged either to dissimulate, to retaliate, or to be a doormat. Since none of those are acceptable options, I stay away.

You're hardly a doormat, though I apologize that we have not been as welcoming as we could be.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:44 am

Reverend Norv wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Yeah, we’ve had a few scraps in here recently that have probably scared some people away. Which makes me sad. :(

What denomination are you, actually?

I seem to remember that you're Reformed, but I might be wrong.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:03 pm

I would like to remind you guys that the greatest and first of all the commandments, which Jesus declared, was not "to be vaguely nice to others"

28 And there came one of the scribes that had heard them reasoning together, and seeing that he had answered them well, asked him which was the first commandment of all.

29 And Jesus answered him: The first commandment of all is, Hear, O Israel: the Lord thy God is one God.
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God, with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength. This is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like to it: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these.
Mark 12

Love for your neighbor is empty if God is left aside. Love your neighbor without God, is not the love Jesus talked about.
Love your neighbor, starts from God.

hmag

-The Fox and the Grapes

"Dictionaries don't decide what words mean. Prescriptivism is the ultimate form of elitism." -United Muscovite Nations
or subtle illiteracy, or lazy sidetracking. Just fucking follow the context. And ask when in doubt.

Not-asimov

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:14 pm

Lost Memories wrote:To go back about paganism.
I've two topics, I'll try to make them brief.

Paganism Side A: How much the pagan custom of "magic words" still lingers inside the english usage of language?
The pagan custom of words having magical power, is the belief that words are not just sounds to communicate thoughts between persons, but it's the belief that words by themselves also hold the power or ability to directly influence the world.
The belief of magic words could be the basis of the ideas of spell casting and magic formulas. By thinking that some specific words, or some specific combinations of them, could have some supernatural effect on things or persons.

Isn't the belief of words having magical power sort of related to the bad habit of literalism? As to believe a word can have meaning even if taken out of its context. As if the word itself could express something, to be meaning in itself, rather than being part of a discourse.
How much the belief of magic words did influence or interfere with christianity in the west?

My take is that there is still a visible trace of the belief of magic words inside the english understanding of language. Mainly because I see that pagan belief to be very closely related to literalism, which is overly present in most of english communication.

The ideas of words having power is hardly a strictly pagan idea.

Paganism Side B: Is moral relativism related to polytheism?

No
Conversely, did monotheism and christianity contribute to push moral relativism out of use? (together with pushing out of use the inconsistency and expediency which relativism brings along)

Moral relativism is still a thing, and for good reason.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:22 pm

Lost Memories wrote:I would like to remind you guys that the greatest and first of all the commandments, which Jesus declared, was not "to be vaguely nice to others"

28 And there came one of the scribes that had heard them reasoning together, and seeing that he had answered them well, asked him which was the first commandment of all.

29 And Jesus answered him: The first commandment of all is, Hear, O Israel: the Lord thy God is one God.
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God, with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength. This is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like to it: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these.
Mark 12

Love for your neighbor is empty if God is left aside. Love your neighbor without God, is not the love Jesus talked about.

I rest my case.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:23 pm

The idea of words having power isn't unique to either paganism or English. Within Christianity it's been taught time and time again the power of language, both spoken and written. That Christ was a tremendous orator is something pointed out.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:31 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Lost Memories wrote:I would like to remind you guys that the greatest and first of all the commandments, which Jesus declared, was not "to be vaguely nice to others"

Mark 12

I rest my case.

If you're suggesting that LM is being passive-aggressive or even overtly aggressive towards you, I unfortunately don't see it. Still, you're welcome to this thread as a Protestant. In fact, want you here.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:32 pm

The Marlborough wrote:The idea of words having power isn't unique to either paganism or English. Within Christianity it's been taught time and time again the power of language, both spoken and written. That Christ was a tremendous orator is something pointed out.

Furthermore, Christ being the Logos is literally the Word.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:
I rest my case.

If you're suggesting that LM is being passive-aggressive or even overtly aggressive towards you, I unfortunately don't see it. Still, you're welcome to this thread as a Protestant. In fact, want you here.

This is precisely my point. Anti-Protestant rhetoric is so normalized in this space that, even with genuine goodwill toward me, you can't see why it's outrageous for another poster to imply that there's a tension between loving God and being even "vaguely nice" to me - because to accord my beliefs even that much courtesy would, by implication, betray the Gospel.

That is exactly why, like practically every other Protestant, I avoid this thread. If you really want that to change, then I'm afraid I have to suggest somewhat more self-examination about comments like this one.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Also going to chime in from a polytheistic perspective and agree with the others that words having power isn't unique to belief in multiple Gods or w/e. Several strands of Christian thought say the same thing as far as I know.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:45 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:
I rest my case.

LM was more or less implying than non-Protestants shouldn't be nice to Protestants/shouldn't treat Protestant views amiably.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:47 pm

Mark 12

True that sometimes one has to be hard-hitting when it comes to the truth, but that doesn't mean we have to be overly aggressive in every space and conversation we're in.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Sundiata wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:The idea of words having power isn't unique to either paganism or English. Within Christianity it's been taught time and time again the power of language, both spoken and written. That Christ was a tremendous orator is something pointed out.

Furthermore, Christ being the Logos is literally the Word.

Genesis lists the first act of creation as God saying 'let there be light' as well

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:21 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:
I rest my case.

LM's been being passive aggressive for a week or two, he even TG'd me several times in a confrontational way.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:42 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
Sundiata wrote:If you're suggesting that LM is being passive-aggressive or even overtly aggressive towards you, I unfortunately don't see it. Still, you're welcome to this thread as a Protestant. In fact, want you here.
LM was more or less implying than non-Protestants shouldn't be nice to Protestants/shouldn't treat Protestant views amiably.

Oh please, can you all stop trying to put words in my mouth, and generally assuming the worst?
I didn't imply anything like that.

I'm trying to highlight how the "love" talked about by Jesus, and the "love" in the general culture, are not the same. And it's misguided to conflate them. Which, I may be wrong, but it's my strong impression, which the two are getting regularly mixed here.
Furthemore, to love God, is the greatest of all commandments. And by the love one has for God, so does he loves their neighbor.

Talking about what does "to love God" means, could be an interesting tangent to go on.

Punished UMN wrote:LM's been being passive aggressive for a week or two, he even TG'd me several times in a confrontational way.

And here goes number two.
I didn't talk to you confrontationally. After you attacked me for something I didn't say, I was trying to clear the misunderstanding. But it doesn't seem you are willing to do that yet.

How much is God present in your thoughts, while you write on this forum?
(please, try to answer, without using offence as a deflection tactic, to run away from the question)
Last edited by Lost Memories on Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hmag

-The Fox and the Grapes

Not-asimov

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:45 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Furthermore, Christ being the Logos is literally the Word.

Genesis lists the first act of creation as God saying 'let there be light' as well

Because the word of God, is not the same as the words of man.

The pagan belief of "magic words", is to believe the words of humans do have the same importance or power over reality as the words of God have.
Which that, is not a christian belief.

hmag

-The Fox and the Grapes

Not-asimov

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:45 pm

Lost Memories wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Genesis lists the first act of creation as God saying 'let there be light' as well

Because the word of God, is not the same as the words of man.

The pagan belief of "magic words", is to believe the words of humans do have the same importance or power over reality as the words of God have.
Which that, is not a christian belief.

Apart from Wicca I'm not sure that's a very widespread belief among pagans at all lol
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:07 pm

Lost Memories wrote:How much is God present in your thoughts, while you write on this forum?

That's an incredibly pretentious thing to say.

You need to quit with the holier-than-thou shtick.

Maybe you should take a Bible-reading break and see what you get out of Matthew 7: 1-5 then come back to us.

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:22 pm

Salus Maior wrote:True that sometimes one has to be hard-hitting when it comes to the truth, but that doesn't mean we have to be overly aggressive in every space and conversation we're in.

It's not really a matter of being hard hitting, that's not the purpose, it's just about speaking the truth. And never shying away from it.
Then sure, being graceful with words is good, even more, as one talks about God. Some are better at it than others.

Also, could you describe what "overly aggressive" means, generally, without name calling anyone?
For clarity sake.
Since it seems to me there is an inflation of offence being displayed in here, which is being used mainly to shut people up. Or to don't engage in discussion, over maybe difficult topics.

hmag

-The Fox and the Grapes

Not-asimov

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General