NATION

PASSWORD

American Revolution (with a twist)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Who would you fight for?

Loyalists in 1 and 2
27%
Loyalists in 1, Patriots in 2
10%
Patriots in 1, Loyalists in 2
11%
Patriots in 1 and 2
52%

Total votes : 82

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

American Revolution (with a twist)

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:57 pm

The American Revolutionary War has started. You must enlist and fight... which side do you join? Loyalists or Patriots?

There are two alternate sets of conditions:

1. You were born in the 1700s and raised in a New England colony; you are a farmer. You must enlist and fight for one side.

2. You time travel back to the 1700s from the present. You have all your knowledge now (including the outcome of the war and how the USA ended up)... still, you must enlist and fight for one side.

What will you fight for?

Will you be loyal to the government or will you fight for the local elites’ rights to minimize taxes, run for powerful elected office, arm the population with guns, and exploit the local economy for profit free from British control?

Will you fight for law and order or will you fight for American style freedom?

What’s your take? Please justify.

In both sets of conditions, I would obey the law and fight for the British. I would be loyal to the government.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sword Island
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sword Island » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:03 pm

Seeing as I know that the Colonists won the war I would join the revolution, but very reluctantly as I also know Valley Forge happened. Without such knowledge, I would have stayed loyal due to the fact that Great Britain has the might to crush this rebellion under its heel in a matter of weeks and that I wouldn't want to risk the reprisals of turning tratior.
"Why do you care what people think?
Are you hooked up to their leash?
You know anklebiters
Ate up your personality"- Paramore

Song of the Day: Face Down- The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Album of the Day: brand new eyes- Paramore

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Last edited by Nakena on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:07 pm

The uniforms looking good

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:07 pm

If fight for the Americans, no remorse or doubts about it.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:09 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Have some more same movie
Last edited by Nakena on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:13 pm

Nakena wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

It looks like they were having a great time; I would like to join this

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:15 pm

I don't think it matters; either way I will die almost immediately of smallpox.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:15 pm

I fight for the Americans because they’re going to win without my future knowledge use what I know to secure connects for the next more important step. Once the war is done it’s time to use what I know to aid revolutions around the world in places like Haiti, France, Bolivia, and Ireland before returning to America to help the German Coast Rebellion become a nation wide slave revolt.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:16 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Nakena wrote:

It looks like they were having a great time; I would like to join this

You really should watch the whole movie lmfao
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:23 pm

Heloin wrote:I fight for the Americans because they’re going to win without my future knowledge use what I know to secure connects for the next more important step. Once the war is done it’s time to use what I know to aid revolutions around the world in places like Haiti, France, Bolivia, and Ireland before returning to America to help the German Coast Rebellion become a nation wide slave revolt.

You sure about that one?

Punished UMN wrote:You really should watch the whole movie lmfao

I second that.
Last edited by Nakena on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:32 pm

I wonder if the Royal Navy would accept people from the colonies

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:42 pm

Nakena wrote:
Heloin wrote:I fight for the Americans because they’re going to win without my future knowledge use what I know to secure connects for the next more important step. Once the war is done it’s time to use what I know to aid revolutions around the world in places like Haiti, France, Bolivia, and Ireland before returning to America to help the German Coast Rebellion become a nation wide slave revolt.

You sure about that one?

You'd only disagree with that choice if you're understanding of Haitian history is based solely on the massacre in 1804. Over a decade after the revolution had begun as a response to Napoleon's attempted invasion to make them all slaves again and by orders of the dictator general Jean-Jacques Dessalines who had to personally oversee massacres for them to actually be carried out.
Last edited by Heloin on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:52 pm

1. In scenario one, I would fight for freedom from British tyranny and fight for democracy and self-determination.

2. In hindsight, knowing that America has always historically been far more racist toward Natives and Blacks than Canada has been and knowing that the gradual liberalization, peaceful reforms, and the smooth evolution of Westminster-style parliamentary democracy across the Dominions and Great Britain itself are preferable to a sudden, violent revolution and the persistence of slavery and Jim Crow in the South, I would fight for the British for the sake of democratic gradualism and continuity. After the Patriots emerge victorious, I would move to Ontario and live out the rest of my days in peace, only to return to Washington in 1812 to set fire to the White House. I believe all the English-speaking countries of the world should be united into one, federal, democratic superpower with Her Majesty the Queen residing in London and the Prime Minister, his Cabinet, and MPs (and the Law Lords) operating out of Washington and a single language being spoken across the Holy Empire of Britannia. Americans are and have always been Englishmen after all.
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:36 am

I would likely side with the British in all scenarios.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:30 am

Sundiata wrote:I would likely side with the British in all scenarios.

I see. A fellow loyalist. You want to defend the Crown too? :)

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:55 am

In situation 2 I'd obviously become a whimsical tech mogul by re-creating the technologies I remember from the modern era, starting with the semi-automatic pistol.

My Wikipedia binges are paying dividends.
Last edited by Esternial on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:21 am

Patriots for sure.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 am

Obviously as a time traveler I would fight for the side that I know wins. Asking what one would do if they were born in the 1700's is senseless because if a person reading this thread was a 1700's farmer, they would be a completely different person. There is no "you but hundreds of years ago", we are shaped by our experiences and culture and society, so that is an entirely different person.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Quartia and Karafuto
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 26, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Quartia and Karafuto » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:26 am

I'd fight for the British either way. I'm not sure how I'd be as a farmer in the 1700s, but I just have a feeling I'd be pro-British. In scenario 2 however, I'm absolutely sure I'd be pro-British, for one if I can give the British information to help them win, I could get slavery banned in the colonies 50 years earlier when it was banned in Britain. After that the colonies might gain independence anyway, but the USA certainly wouldn't be as dominant in the world, which is a good thing.
My nation - which is pretty much just a unified Korea with some extra territory - represents my real views. NS stats only broadly correct, trust the factbooks over them. Feel free to call me Q&K, Quartia, or any other nickname.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:49 am

I'd fight against the British in both scenarios. With a few examples and my knowledge, I could probably show the Patriots how to build some simple breechloaders.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:23 am

Nak, you're dead to me.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:25 am

Glorious Hong Kong wrote:1. In scenario one, I would fight for freedom from British tyranny and fight for democracy and self-determination.

2. In hindsight, knowing that America has always historically been far more racist toward Natives and Blacks than Canada has been and knowing that the gradual liberalization, peaceful reforms, and the smooth evolution of Westminster-style parliamentary democracy across the Dominions and Great Britain itself are preferable to a sudden, violent revolution and the persistence of slavery and Jim Crow in the South, I would fight for the British for the sake of democratic gradualism and continuity. After the Patriots emerge victorious, I would move to Ontario and live out the rest of my days in peace, only to return to Washington in 1812 to set fire to the White House. I believe all the English-speaking countries of the world should be united into one, federal, democratic superpower with Her Majesty the Queen residing in London and the Prime Minister, his Cabinet, and MPs (and the Law Lords) operating out of Washington and a single language being spoken across the Holy Empire of Britannia. Americans are and have always been Englishmen after all.

lol
Have you actually read Canadian history dude?

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:26 am

Senkaku wrote:I don't think it matters; either way I will die almost immediately of smallpox.

Not if you get a cowpox inoculation.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:26 am

I'd go back and tell those Brits that when it comes to honor, there is no room for "u." ;)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General