NATION

PASSWORD

The Masquerade Ball (OOC/Sign-Up)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Brettenwald
Minister
 
Posts: 3358
Founded: May 03, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brettenwald » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:28 pm

The Selkie wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Well...uhm...when I googled it back in the day, it said ball and evening gowns so I assume both?


Well, it's a masquerade ball, innit? So... I thought I better ask before my lassies embarass themselves.

With the disclaimer that I'm not OP, ball gowns seem like the logical answer considering that they're as fancy as it gets in ladies' fashion and white tie is as fancy as it gets for gentlemen.
Last edited by Brettenwald on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”―Neal Stephenson
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -Albert Schweitzer
Qhevak wrote:Virgin International Incidents war RP enthusiast vs Chad NationStates party RP appreciator.
Yegla Islands wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:Israel rocks; China sucks.
Ahhh, so it's selective tolerance of human rights abuses. I see.
20, cis male, bi, history major, center-leftist, secular-ish humanist, trans ally, prefer character RPs.
brettenwave
brettenball by the inimitable Kiu Ghesik, IC flag here

User avatar
Mervay
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1479
Founded: Jan 05, 2018
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Mervay » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:20 pm

Polish Prussian Commonwealth wrote:oh lord

on one hand white tie is required

on the other hand prussia-poland doesn't issue it's military with anything equivalent to white tie, and this definitely would've trickled down to the cadet schools.

Mervay, would something like this with more muted colors and actual pockets be an acceptable substitute?

It will be an acceptable one mate, it has to be formal wear if white tie isn't possible.

The Selkie wrote:Mervay, two questions, which just popped into my head:
1. How's the weather on the evening? I am asking because, if it is cold, then my Kyrenaians would wear shawls to their dresses, at least for a bit, but if it is warm for some reason, then not.
2. That brings me to the second question: You say the dress code is White Tie, which raises the question, if you want the women in Ball Gowns or would Evening Gowns suffice?

Thank you for the answers!

Weather, well for the evening and all night; very cold. Between 5º to 6ºC at most to 3º to 4º as average of this time of the year. Luckily, there is no snow in sight for the ball so that would mean that's one thing less to worry about. And for the dresses; Ball Gowns are the ones recommended because of them being suited for the event, since evening gowns are more used in black tie events.

User avatar
A m e n r i a
Senator
 
Posts: 3667
Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby A m e n r i a » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:25 pm

The Selkie wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Well...uhm...when I googled it back in the day, it said ball and evening gowns so I assume both?


Well, it's a masquerade ball, innit? So... I thought I better ask before my lassies embarass themselves.


On that note, would more traditional clothing be allowed? Like a qipao or something.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)


Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future, Amenria reflects the prosperity that would be brought about by a real, modernist, Islamic government.


Save yourselves from yourselves.

User avatar
Mervay
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1479
Founded: Jan 05, 2018
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Mervay » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:41 pm

A m e n r i a wrote:
The Selkie wrote:
Well, it's a masquerade ball, innit? So... I thought I better ask before my lassies embarass themselves.


On that note, would more traditional clothing be allowed? Like a qipao or something.

It qualifies as formal wear and it is allowed mate.

If anyone has any question regarding it please look into rule 4.2 and you will see that if not able to bring a white tie attire, another formal wear is allowed as long as it goes with the event.

User avatar
Brettenwald
Minister
 
Posts: 3358
Founded: May 03, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brettenwald » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:53 pm

Hello darkness my old friend... *opens draft tab, again*
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”―Neal Stephenson
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -Albert Schweitzer
Qhevak wrote:Virgin International Incidents war RP enthusiast vs Chad NationStates party RP appreciator.
Yegla Islands wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:Israel rocks; China sucks.
Ahhh, so it's selective tolerance of human rights abuses. I see.
20, cis male, bi, history major, center-leftist, secular-ish humanist, trans ally, prefer character RPs.
brettenwave
brettenball by the inimitable Kiu Ghesik, IC flag here

User avatar
A m e n r i a
Senator
 
Posts: 3667
Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby A m e n r i a » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:12 pm

Mervay wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:
On that note, would more traditional clothing be allowed? Like a qipao or something.

It qualifies as formal wear and it is allowed mate.

If anyone has any question regarding it please look into rule 4.2 and you will see that if not able to bring a white tie attire, another formal wear is allowed as long as it goes with the event.


Ah, thank you
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)


Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future, Amenria reflects the prosperity that would be brought about by a real, modernist, Islamic government.


Save yourselves from yourselves.

User avatar
Lux Pulchrae
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1767
Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:48 pm

everyone's talking about pre-writing their intros....yeah

User avatar
Shwe Tu Colony
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Sep 27, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:24 pm

Lux Pulchrae wrote:everyone's talking about pre-writing their intros....yeah


Image
I MAY be stupid, because this isn't even repliable content either, but keep in mind some of this count is from me putting in quotes from other media because lol.
Last edited by Shwe Tu Colony on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherissime amis! Behold, Shwe Tu Colony/World Machine, the paracosm of a spoiled brat, taking everything, sparing nothing, mingling the childhood incroyable with the angst of a teen lad.
Current status: OMORI has taken over my mind. SAY WOA-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-WOA-OH
"The summer grass is getting in the way"
Extension

User avatar
Seleucid Pergamon
Envoy
 
Posts: 340
Founded: Sep 25, 2020
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Seleucid Pergamon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:54 pm

Lux Pulchrae wrote:everyone's talking about pre-writing their intros....yeah


I still have a lot to go for mine's.
A modern princedom situated in one of the oldest Greek cities in history
Ruled by the descendants of the ancient Seleucid dynasty

EMBASSY PROGRAM HERE: Link

User avatar
Lux Pulchrae
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1767
Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:32 am

Shwe Tu Colony wrote:
Lux Pulchrae wrote:everyone's talking about pre-writing their intros....yeah


Image
I MAY be stupid, because this isn't even repliable content either, but keep in mind some of this count is from me putting in quotes from other media because lol.


Seleucid Pergamon wrote:
Lux Pulchrae wrote:everyone's talking about pre-writing their intros....yeah


I still have a lot to go for mine's.


Geez, maybe I should get started. It's definitely not gonna be as long as you guys lol.

User avatar
Mervay
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1479
Founded: Jan 05, 2018
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Mervay » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:59 am

The IC is up!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=497129#p38221265

Sorry for the short introductory post, but I will get into the details of the ball in the next post as soon as most of you had made your characters introductions, then I will have the Devienne Family officially announce the beginning of the ball.

User avatar
Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10285
Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:23 am

Lux Pulchrae wrote:everyone's talking about pre-writing their intros....yeah

Come here into my corner you big fella!

Mervay wrote:The IC is up!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=497129#p38221265

Sorry for the short introductory post, but I will get into the details of the ball in the next post as soon as most of you had made your characters introductions, then I will have the Devienne Family officially announce the beginning of the ball.

Well colour me surprised, I expectes it in my afternoon or something.
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Woodhouse Loyalist & Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

User avatar
Polish Prussian Commonwealth
Minister
 
Posts: 3177
Founded: Oct 30, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Polish Prussian Commonwealth » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:29 am

Posted. 900~ words.
"Furthermore, I submit that Carthage NSG must be destroyed."
-Marcus Porcius Cato
My canon is currently in a state of constant flux. Please do not take anything that I say as set in stone.
A 13 civilization, according to this index.
A traumatized MT-PMT constitutional monarchy consisting of a personal union of Prussia and Poland. A land of rampant gun ownership, Cold-war equipment, rabid hatred of Germans, militias with enough artillery to turn an armored division into a badly-shaken battalion of light infantry, and terrified American troops counting down the days until they rotate back home.

Artsahk is Armenian.



User avatar
The Selkie
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13340
Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Selkie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:18 am

Mervay wrote:
Polish Prussian Commonwealth wrote:oh lord

on one hand white tie is required

on the other hand prussia-poland doesn't issue it's military with anything equivalent to white tie, and this definitely would've trickled down to the cadet schools.

Mervay, would something like this with more muted colors and actual pockets be an acceptable substitute?

It will be an acceptable one mate, it has to be formal wear if white tie isn't possible.

The Selkie wrote:Mervay, two questions, which just popped into my head:
1. How's the weather on the evening? I am asking because, if it is cold, then my Kyrenaians would wear shawls to their dresses, at least for a bit, but if it is warm for some reason, then not.
2. That brings me to the second question: You say the dress code is White Tie, which raises the question, if you want the women in Ball Gowns or would Evening Gowns suffice?

Thank you for the answers!

Weather, well for the evening and all night; very cold. Between 5º to 6ºC at most to 3º to 4º as average of this time of the year. Luckily, there is no snow in sight for the ball so that would mean that's one thing less to worry about. And for the dresses; Ball Gowns are the ones recommended because of them being suited for the event, since evening gowns are more used in black tie events.


Dang... and I had such beautiful evening gowns... because of course it is possible for a Princess of Kyrenaia and for the girlfriend of the Prince of Teressien to wear ball gowns. Well, can't be helped... off to rewriting!
Thank you for the answer, Mervay.
I play PT, MT and a bit FT. I am into character-RPs.
My people are called the Selkie, the nation is usually called the Free Lands in MT-settings. Thanks.

Silverport Dockyards Ltd.: Storefront - Catalogue

User avatar
A m e n r i a
Senator
 
Posts: 3667
Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby A m e n r i a » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:25 am

Also posted
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)


Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future, Amenria reflects the prosperity that would be brought about by a real, modernist, Islamic government.


Save yourselves from yourselves.

User avatar
The Selkie
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13340
Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Selkie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:52 am

And posted.
Mervay, you might notice, that I have Leonard joining Athena's side in the dance hall, a bit like a prologue to the part of your post, where you speak about Athena already having Leonard by her side.
People might also notice, that Branwen, Nolly, Finnya and Cel are not wearing ball gowns but evening gowns - I decided for that step mainly because
    a) They're Selkie and I think it fits them better to go still very formal, Wikipedia lists evening gowns as a possibility for White Tie Dressed Women, but not as formal as others and going for, in the case of Nolly and Branwen, with the larger options available.
    b) Branwen does not have the financial means for a fully-equipped ball gown. She is a student and author, after all.
The rest is dressed appropriately, though. ; )
I play PT, MT and a bit FT. I am into character-RPs.
My people are called the Selkie, the nation is usually called the Free Lands in MT-settings. Thanks.

Silverport Dockyards Ltd.: Storefront - Catalogue

User avatar
Seleucid Pergamon
Envoy
 
Posts: 340
Founded: Sep 25, 2020
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Seleucid Pergamon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:56 am

And here we go...Still have a lot to write about.
Last edited by Seleucid Pergamon on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
A modern princedom situated in one of the oldest Greek cities in history
Ruled by the descendants of the ancient Seleucid dynasty

EMBASSY PROGRAM HERE: Link

User avatar
Lillorainen
Senator
 
Posts: 4016
Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Lillorainen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:15 am

And there we go.
Ending two and a half years of resisting the urge to copy Selks' format. ^^
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

User avatar
The Selkie
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13340
Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Selkie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:22 am

Lillorainen wrote:And there we go.
Ending two and a half years of resisting the urge to copy Selks' format. ^^


No, no, no, you did not 'copy' anything, my friend, least of which is 'my format.' You got inspired by something. ; )
I play PT, MT and a bit FT. I am into character-RPs.
My people are called the Selkie, the nation is usually called the Free Lands in MT-settings. Thanks.

Silverport Dockyards Ltd.: Storefront - Catalogue

User avatar
Lillorainen
Senator
 
Posts: 4016
Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Lillorainen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:29 am

The Selkie wrote:
Lillorainen wrote:And there we go.
Ending two and a half years of resisting the urge to copy Selks' format. ^^


No, no, no, you did not 'copy' anything, my friend, least of which is 'my format.' You got inspired by something. ; )

That's another way to express it.
Technically, it has even been around already, but that was a bit different ... ^^
In any case, it just seemed logical to me, given my number of characters. Much easier to keep track.
Last edited by Lillorainen on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

User avatar
Greater Orcadia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 353
Founded: Feb 15, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Greater Orcadia » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:33 am

I might send Penny and Evan, (daughter and son in law to a diplomat)

Répondez s'il vous plaît

Name of attendee (including titles and similar): Phenom "Penny" Snyder
Occupation: Driver,
Country of Origin: Greater Orcadia
Appearance:
Image

Culinary Concerns: None
Medical Concerns: Triple Amputee - has Cybernetic limbs
Notes: Daughter of Sir Nick Warszinski, Greater Orcadian Ambassador to Port Ember


Name of attendee (including titles and similar): Evan Snyder
Occupation: Driver,
Country of Origin: Greater Orcadia
Appearance:
Image

Culinary Concerns: None
Medical Concerns: None
Notes: Husband of Penny Snyder

---------------

OOC-Section
Have you read and understood the rules? By the Midnight's light - oh turn the lights off you're wasting electricity


RP-Sample: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=490659.
Last edited by Greater Orcadia on Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greater Orcadia is played by the same person behind the Aurora Confederacy and is a Modern Tech nation

User avatar
Brettenwald
Minister
 
Posts: 3358
Founded: May 03, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brettenwald » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:29 am

Have posted.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”―Neal Stephenson
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -Albert Schweitzer
Qhevak wrote:Virgin International Incidents war RP enthusiast vs Chad NationStates party RP appreciator.
Yegla Islands wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:Israel rocks; China sucks.
Ahhh, so it's selective tolerance of human rights abuses. I see.
20, cis male, bi, history major, center-leftist, secular-ish humanist, trans ally, prefer character RPs.
brettenwave
brettenball by the inimitable Kiu Ghesik, IC flag here

User avatar
A m e n r i a
Senator
 
Posts: 3667
Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby A m e n r i a » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:36 am

Lux, you're free to talk to Camilla. Same goes for anyone who wants to talk to Camellia.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)


Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future, Amenria reflects the prosperity that would be brought about by a real, modernist, Islamic government.


Save yourselves from yourselves.

User avatar
Mervay
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1479
Founded: Jan 05, 2018
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Mervay » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:44 am

I will make a reply to all of you as soon as I'am in my PC, since doing it through a cellphone is difficult. Sorry for the wait

User avatar
Brettenwald
Minister
 
Posts: 3358
Founded: May 03, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brettenwald » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:45 am

Mervay wrote:I will make a reply to all of you as soon as I'am in my PC, since doing it through a cellphone is difficult. Sorry for the wait

It's cool, take as much time as you need!
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”―Neal Stephenson
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -Albert Schweitzer
Qhevak wrote:Virgin International Incidents war RP enthusiast vs Chad NationStates party RP appreciator.
Yegla Islands wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:Israel rocks; China sucks.
Ahhh, so it's selective tolerance of human rights abuses. I see.
20, cis male, bi, history major, center-leftist, secular-ish humanist, trans ally, prefer character RPs.
brettenwave
brettenball by the inimitable Kiu Ghesik, IC flag here

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Athara Magarat, Belgaam, Koniglich Wasserstein, North Alezia, Polkopia, Waisnor

Advertisement

Remove ads