NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: Empire's End (Character RP/OOC/Signups) [OPEN!!]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:24 pm

Tysklandia wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:Hello! Is anyone there? The thread has gone silent, IDK about the Discord...

For myself, I have nothing else to post for Fondor until it actually "happens".

1: Kuat and Teta are prepping a secondary event, surrounding AZURE command for the moment. In discussion with DRAOS, we picked a third player to "play" Azure Command for us, could you confirm you are fine with that?
2: I reckon we have some leeway in organising the whole deal, keeping in mind we don't go overboard and all that.
We would be planning it to be a form of Imperial civil war escalation between Teta (Independant Imperial), Azure Command (NPC / Imperial Hardliner / unreasonable figure) and Kuat ( Nominal Loyalist )

A few, extra questions.

3: We assume the Emperor cloning ordeal isn't Cannon. Can you confirm? Some Imperial characters would be aware, so it would change things.
3A: If the cloning ordeal isn't Cannon, could we mayhaps have clarity on who sits on Corrussant.
3B: If Mas Ameda is the official successor, does he sit on Corrussant as in new disney cannon? In crux, entirely powerless and more or less a Joke? If so, we'd assume the true power of Corrussant is Azure Command itself. Mayhaps modelled more after Legends than Disney Cannon
3C: We would propose to have Pestage flee to Byss, where he leads a contigent of hardline Imperial loyalists, nearing a true Sith cult. But most of the Imperial armed forces ignoring his commands, the rest assembling around Byss. Likely Biding his time to strike? Waiting things out? It could be a neat Imperial remnant force to act as a "balancing" force in the region that would keep all the players in the Core on their toes.

4: What is the NR capitol at this point in time?
5: Can you give a short description on what you want their territories to be?
6: The same for Imperial Remnant territory (NPC?)
Teta can use it to work on his map when he has time.

1: Absolutely!
2: That sounds really cool!
3: Correct, not cannon
a: Mas is "in charge."
b: Correct.
c: That would be perfect.
4: The NR is going to be on Chandrila at this point.
5: Most of the mid rim, some strategic outer rim worlds, progressing towards the core.
6: Mostly in the core, and some holdouts in the outer rim.

OP of Empire's End RP, Frequenter of P2TM, and part of the F7 delegation along with -Astoria, Valentine Z, Western Fardelshufflestein, La Xinga, and Nooooooooooooooo.
“...My only complaint is that this guy seems to have plot armor thicker than the hull of a battleship. What’s this Holy Grail thing, anyway? I tried looking it up using foreign information networks but I kept seeing footage of knights being butchered by a rabbit... I don’t think that was a legitimate source.”

...and Josephus sorta started a nuclear war, so I'll just ignore the fact that Kakistopia has almost 50% of deaths due in some part to the God-Empress, and I'll also ignore that Josephus XII was raised as a child-soldier, and I'll say Josephus is the more horrible leader.

Lotrisia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Lotrisia » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:19 am

Abbeyverne wrote:
Tysklandia wrote:
For myself, I have nothing else to post for Fondor until it actually "happens".

1: Kuat and Teta are prepping a secondary event, surrounding AZURE command for the moment. In discussion with DRAOS, we picked a third player to "play" Azure Command for us, could you confirm you are fine with that?
2: I reckon we have some leeway in organising the whole deal, keeping in mind we don't go overboard and all that.
We would be planning it to be a form of Imperial civil war escalation between Teta (Independant Imperial), Azure Command (NPC / Imperial Hardliner / unreasonable figure) and Kuat ( Nominal Loyalist )

A few, extra questions.

3: We assume the Emperor cloning ordeal isn't Cannon. Can you confirm? Some Imperial characters would be aware, so it would change things.
3A: If the cloning ordeal isn't Cannon, could we mayhaps have clarity on who sits on Corrussant.
3B: If Mas Ameda is the official successor, does he sit on Corrussant as in new disney cannon? In crux, entirely powerless and more or less a Joke? If so, we'd assume the true power of Corrussant is Azure Command itself. Mayhaps modelled more after Legends than Disney Cannon
3C: We would propose to have Pestage flee to Byss, where he leads a contigent of hardline Imperial loyalists, nearing a true Sith cult. But most of the Imperial armed forces ignoring his commands, the rest assembling around Byss. Likely Biding his time to strike? Waiting things out? It could be a neat Imperial remnant force to act as a "balancing" force in the region that would keep all the players in the Core on their toes.

4: What is the NR capitol at this point in time?
5: Can you give a short description on what you want their territories to be?
6: The same for Imperial Remnant territory (NPC?)
Teta can use it to work on his map when he has time.

5: Most of the mid rim, some strategic outer rim worlds, progressing towards the core.

May I suggest that we have the NR capital currently be placed on Mon Cala as a temporary capital, with a view of moving to Chandrila as a more legitimate one once the NR has mad enough inroads in that region for it to be safe?

Tysklandia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tysklandia » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:40 am

Lotrisia wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:

May I suggest that we have the NR capital currently be placed on Mon Cala as a temporary capital, with a view of moving to Chandrila as a more legitimate one once the NR has mad enough inroads in that region for it to be safe?

If the NR capital IS chandrilla, it will fall immediately. They can't be reinforced and are entirely surrounded by Imperial forces.
It would make little to no sense for a world that is actively being blockaded to be heralded as the NR capitol at this time in my opinion.

People can't even freely travel to the planet without risking the Imperial blockade over the planet, as Chandrilla is technically part of Azure Command territory at this point in time. Chandrilla isn't a fortress world either and would be under continued blockade. It wouldn't require a massive fleet to bring that planet to heel I'd say.
Last edited by Tysklandia on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 am

Tysklandia wrote:
Lotrisia wrote:

If the NR capital IS chandrilla, it will fall immediately. They can't be reinforced and are entirely surrounded by Imperial forces.
It would make little to no sense for a world that is actively being blockaded to be heralded as the NR capitol at this time in my opinion.

People can't even freely travel to the planet without risking the Imperial blockade over the planet, as Chandrilla is technically part of Azure Command territory at this point in time. Chandrilla isn't a fortress world either and would be under continued blockade. It wouldn't require a massive fleet to bring that planet to heel I'd say.

Certainly, I'm sorry, Mon Cala makes more sense.

OP of Empire's End RP, Frequenter of P2TM, and part of the F7 delegation along with -Astoria, Valentine Z, Western Fardelshufflestein, La Xinga, and Nooooooooooooooo.
“...My only complaint is that this guy seems to have plot armor thicker than the hull of a battleship. What’s this Holy Grail thing, anyway? I tried looking it up using foreign information networks but I kept seeing footage of knights being butchered by a rabbit... I don’t think that was a legitimate source.”

...and Josephus sorta started a nuclear war, so I'll just ignore the fact that Kakistopia has almost 50% of deaths due in some part to the God-Empress, and I'll also ignore that Josephus XII was raised as a child-soldier, and I'll say Josephus is the more horrible leader.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:14 pm

Well, here we go! Let the Battle of Fondor begin! And the PA starts with a disadvantage (limited fighters and, good Lord, what's up with Kaine!?).
Last edited by Abbeyverne on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tysklandia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tysklandia » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Abbeyverne wrote:Well, here we go! Let the Battle of Fondor begin! And the PA starts with a disadvantage (limited fighters and, good Lord, what's up with Kaine!?).

I double checked the rule page and I saw you filtered out a lot of what I proposed. To ensure everything is clear, i'm going to drop a few more questions here, to double check why you abandoned those proposals.
I feel like those changes you made, makes them ineffective and largely pointless.

(WHERE) Entering hyperspace, Interdiction and Escaping :

* Their will be no traffic, outside of planetary orbit. Every single battle would still be performed in planetary orbits. "Trade ships", convoys or anything of the sort would be impossible to intercept without interdiction as they will simply "jump" from one planetary orbit to another.
* If these "egress" points are stations, planets and/or systems, then people will always travel to the safest point, likely being the fortified or secured planetary orbits. This doesn't also doesn't answer how "close" these egress points are to a planetary surface.
* If one can skip entire systems on the route at will, then their is no form of defence. The entire NR Navy could travel to Corrussant right now, as I assume they hold access to the Permillian route, and bypass all Imperial remnant in between whenever they desire.

(WHEN) Entering hyperspace, Interdiction and Escaping :

"Hyperspace calculations will take time increasing with the length of the flight, calculations cannot be made while in hyperspace, and"

* This does not solve the issue. If you wish to flee, making an extremely short jump is enough. You can then make longer calculations in relative, if temporary, safety to ensure a long term escape.

Planets and ground warfare :

"Orbital bombardment is acceptable, but can be easily overridden by a planetary shield, necessitating a ground attack. Also, orbital bombardment is not precise, and will hit friendly units or non combatants if present."

* Simply making Orbital bombardment inaccurate, does not solve the issue. The only thing this will ensure is that the only method of ensuring planetary defence, is to use mass human shields and hiding in population centers. Added with hoping that your enemy actually gives a damn about mass civilian casualties.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:38 pm

Tysklandia wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:Well, here we go! Let the Battle of Fondor begin! And the PA starts with a disadvantage (limited fighters and, good Lord, what's up with Kaine!?).

I double checked the rule page and I saw you filtered out a lot of what I proposed. To ensure everything is clear, i'm going to drop a few more questions here, to double check why you abandoned those proposals.
I feel like those changes you made, makes them ineffective and largely pointless.

(WHERE) Entering hyperspace, Interdiction and Escaping :

* Their will be no traffic, outside of planetary orbit. Every single battle would still be performed in planetary orbits. "Trade ships", convoys or anything of the sort would be impossible to intercept without interdiction as they will simply "jump" from one planetary orbit to another.
* If these "egress" points are stations, planets and/or systems, then people will always travel to the safest point, likely being the fortified or secured planetary orbits. This doesn't also doesn't answer how "close" these egress points are to a planetary surface.
* If one can skip entire systems on the route at will, then their is no form of defence. The entire NR Navy could travel to Corrussant right now, as I assume they hold access to the Permillian route, and bypass all Imperial remnant in between whenever they desire.

(WHEN) Entering hyperspace, Interdiction and Escaping :

"Hyperspace calculations will take time increasing with the length of the flight, calculations cannot be made while in hyperspace, and"

* This does not solve the issue. If you wish to flee, making an extremely short jump is enough. You can then make longer calculations in relative, if temporary, safety to ensure a long term escape.

Planets and ground warfare :

"Orbital bombardment is acceptable, but can be easily overridden by a planetary shield, necessitating a ground attack. Also, orbital bombardment is not precise, and will hit friendly units or non combatants if present."

* Simply making Orbital bombardment inaccurate, does not solve the issue. The only thing this will ensure is that the only method of ensuring planetary defence, is to use mass human shields and hiding in population centers. Added with hoping that your enemy actually gives a damn about mass civilian casualties.

Ok, then can you rewrite as you would find better? I see and agree with most of your points, but I want to see your thoughts verbatim. I still think the out-of-system thing does not work, because some systems are very large, so it would be very difficult to make it to an objective. Thanks!

Thrashia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2004
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Thrashia » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:46 pm

I'm going to suspend my pending sign-up. I'll still be here for any lore information that may be requested or help as requested, but I don't think I have the time available to commit to writing in the rp. Cheers.
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 am

Thrashia wrote:I'm going to suspend my pending sign-up. I'll still be here for any lore information that may be requested or help as requested, but I don't think I have the time available to commit to writing in the rp. Cheers.

We are sorry to see you go!

Lotrisia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Hyperspace Rule Alternative Proposal

Postby Lotrisia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:12 am

As Tysklandia has asked me to put forward my proposal for hyperspace as well, here it is

Hyperspace is possibly one of the shakiest parts of Star Wars lore. The specific rules as to when you can and can't jump, and parameters about that, aren't even poorly-defined, they're just outright contradictory in much of Star Wars lore. As such, here's my shot at some cohesive hyperspace rules.

It is theoretically possible to travel to and through anywhere in hyperspace, including directly through a planet or a black hole. This is because objects in realspace have no physical counterpart in hyperspace. However, their gravitational field does have a counterpart in hyperspace. As gravitational fields are distortions of spacetime, their counterparts in hyperspace distort the fabric of hyperspace itself. This means that any ship that travels through a gravitational field while in hyperspace will suffer some level of distortion. If you are far out from the gravity well in question, you will be fine. However, the closer your get, the more stress it places on the frame of your ship. Eventually, if you are close enough, you will be torn apart by the strain. This structural strain scales with the inverse square of the distance between your ship and the gravity well, and is directly proportional to the gravitational strength of said gravity well. That it is just maths and not super important if you aren't really technically minded. What is important is that this means that the strain increases exponentially as you get closer to the planet. This means that there is a minimum safe threshold for any ship. A ship's ability to travel closer to a gravity well will be a direct result of its structural strength. As such, warships will be able to drop out of a gravity field closer to the centre than a freighter would. Something like an ISD would be able to drop in far closer to a planet than an FSCV would.

Limitations

Even the strongest ship won't be able to drop out of hyperspace directly above the atmosphere. It'll get torn apart by the structural stress, and if anything does drop out it'd be a mangled mess of metal and crew. The usual safe distance for most warships with a planet around the mass of Earth would be ~2 million kilometres. The distance to a planet can, at full burn, probably be crossed in a couple of minutes, but as is that sort of range is far outside of engagement range and so allows orbital defences some time to get ready. Jumping in closer is possible. However, closer jumps begin to place damaging strain on the warship in question. You could theoretically jump an ISD in to ~500 000 km, the limits of engagement ranges, but you'll have to totally scrap it afterwards because the strain would have warped integral structural beams, making it a total constructive loss. If you're getting closer than that you start heavily damaging systems. Too close and you're scrap metal. Remember, though, that this is simply a limit. There is nothing stopping you from dropping in at the Kuiper belt and coming in dark to fool sensors, like Vader planned to do at Hoth.

Freighters, and civilian ships in general, are subject to much larger minimum safe distances, usually around 4x that of a warship. Some ships, like the aforementioned FSCVs, may have to jump in much further away than that. This sort of range necessitates having customs vessels and sensors to pick up inbound freighters, and to protect them against pirates. A particularly daring pirate could well snatch a freighter right outside Coruscant. Most of the time though, they'd take isolated freighters from backwater worlds without major defence forces, like Tatooine. They'd do this by hanging around the planet and pouncing on freighters that show up, then presumably leaving before sector forces can get there. Now, escorts are necessary because particularly large groups may well attack convoys, possibly using interdiction mines to rip them out of hyperspace, or just hitting them when they're far away from the planet's protection. It's not very common, but if the target's valuable you need protection just in case it does happen.

Interdiction

Interdiction is obviously a useful technology. However, its role can be expanded a bit. First some lore. Interdiction works by projecting solely the hyperspace component of the gravity well, at enormous power due to the high generation of SW ships. An interdictor's field of influence literally stops a ship from jumping, because making the jump would tear them apart. As such, they have a field in which it is impossible or at least unsafe to jump, and then a greater area in which they have some limited effect. Interdiction mines should also be present, but they won't be cheap to run long-term, since you need to continually power the field itself, which exhausts fuel very quickly. As such, only relatively rich planets will make much use of them. However, those planets that do use them can saturate their orbits with them, to be turned on in case of imminent attack. Invading forces will then be stopped much further away, and forced to either shoot their way through the minefield to actually jump closer or travel at sublight speeds.

Escaping

Escaping through hyperspace is indeed possible. However, there are a few things that must be considered. Firstly, calculating a route takes time, probably a few minutes depending on the ship making the calculations. The further away you're jumping to, the longer. Due to the cleared nature of hyperlanes, calculating an escape along one of those is also much faster than a "free" jump. When escaping, it is not possible to directly track the escapee. However, one can use algorithms that account for a number of complex variables to calculate their possible destinations, which should be pretty nearby anyway since it's faster, and then send ships there to try find them. This is the reason why "Calculate every possible destination along their last known trajectory" is a doable thing. There is a second consideration, namely battle damage. Taking a hit to a structural beam will likely weaken it, meaning that a jump that would have been safe before would become dangerous. The nav computer won't know that either, it'll just know your original strength rating. Jumping after taking damage risks disintegration on jumping. If you can trap a ship in low orbit and pound on it, you can theoretically stop it from running entirely. However, this is only if it takes integral structural damage. You can't always stop a ship, probably not even usually, which is why the Immobiliser 418 and Dominator are necessary.

Hyperlanes

Hyperlanes are areas of space that have been cleared of obstructions, presumably by major effort. Systems along hyperplanes will probably obstruct part of it, meaning it's easier to stop in at each individual one and slowboat across the system to go through. There are likely massive traffic "lanes" in systems on hyperplanes for ships that are just passing through, necessitating lots of protection and traffic control. Travelling along hyperplanes can be done much faster than through "free" space, since the ship in question will not have to manoeuvre around obstacles. This also makes them much cheaper fuel-wise to travel along, incentivising traders to use them. The larger, and thus safer, a hyperlane is, the faster it can be travelled and the cheaper travel is. Major lanes like the Hydian way are likely very large, possibly light-hours across. Others may be as small as a couple of AU, depending on how frequently-traveled and maintained the lane itself is. The bigger it is, the more expensive it is to maintain. Hyperlanes are excellent avenues to move large forces along, since they offer very quick travel.
The measurement of a ship's speed isn't going to be how fast it travels along hyperlanes, which would entail only marginal difference in time taken, but rather the speeds possible in "free" space. The differentiator of a good hyperdrive is mostly the navigation and manoeuvring system, as well as possibly its energy efficiency for a given speed.

Collisions

Now, the one people probably might want to know with this system is whether a hyperspace ram is possible. The answer is, both for gameplay purposes and lore purposes, no, since you'll pass harmlessly through them. Neither is ramming while accelerating up to or dropping out from hyperspace a truly viable tactic in anything but the most unbelievably precise situations. You will not be able to replicate the Holdo Manoeuvre, so don't try it. Even in the case that you do, any warship at full shielding should be able to take the impact fairly easily, unless you're physically bigger than them. Something like what Holdo pulled would require so many things to coincidentally come together that you'd stand a better chance of doing damage if you get out and use your fists against them. 99% of the time you miss and just enter hyperspace, 1% of the time you hit and transfer a lot of energy into the shields but do nothing of import other than totally wrecking your ship. The chances of doing meaningful damage are so small that I won't even have to bother writing them in. Just stick to turbolasers.
Last edited by Lotrisia on Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:02 pm

Lotrisia wrote:As Tysklandia has asked me to put forward my proposal for hyperspace as well, here it is

Hyperspace is possibly one of the shakiest parts of Star Wars lore. The specific rules as to when you can and can't jump, and parameters about that, aren't even poorly-defined, they're just outright contradictory in much of Star Wars lore. As such, here's my shot at some cohesive hyperspace rules.

It is theoretically possible to travel to and through anywhere in hyperspace, including directly through a planet or a black hole. This is because objects in realspace have no physical counterpart in hyperspace. However, their gravitational field does have a counterpart in hyperspace. As gravitational fields are distortions of spacetime, their counterparts in hyperspace distort the fabric of hyperspace itself. This means that any ship that travels through a gravitational field while in hyperspace will suffer some level of distortion. If you are far out from the gravity well in question, you will be fine. However, the closer your get, the more stress it places on the frame of your ship. Eventually, if you are close enough, you will be torn apart by the strain. This structural strain scales with the inverse square of the distance between your ship and the gravity well, and is directly proportional to the gravitational strength of said gravity well. That it is just maths and not super important if you aren't really technically minded. What is important is that this means that the strain increases exponentially as you get closer to the planet. This means that there is a minimum safe threshold for any ship. A ship's ability to travel closer to a gravity well will be a direct result of its structural strength. As such, warships will be able to drop out of a gravity field closer to the centre than a freighter would. Something like an ISD would be able to drop in far closer to a planet than an FSCV would.

Limitations

Even the strongest ship won't be able to drop out of hyperspace directly above the atmosphere. It'll get torn apart by the structural stress, and if anything does drop out it'd be a mangled mess of metal and crew. The usual safe distance for most warships with a planet around the mass of Earth would be ~2 million kilometres. The distance to a planet can, at full burn, probably be crossed in a couple of minutes, but as is that sort of range is far outside of engagement range and so allows orbital defences some time to get ready. Jumping in closer is possible. However, closer jumps begin to place damaging strain on the warship in question. You could theoretically jump an ISD in to ~500 000 km, the limits of engagement ranges, but you'll have to totally scrap it afterwards because the strain would have warped integral structural beams, making it a total constructive loss. If you're getting closer than that you start heavily damaging systems. Too close and you're scrap metal. Remember, though, that this is simply a limit. There is nothing stopping you from dropping in at the Kuiper belt and coming in dark to fool sensors, like Vader planned to do at Hoth.

Freighters, and civilian ships in general, are subject to much larger minimum safe distances, usually around 4x that of a warship. Some ships, like the aforementioned FSCVs, may have to jump in much further away than that. This sort of range necessitates having customs vessels and sensors to pick up inbound freighters, and to protect them against pirates. A particularly daring pirate could well snatch a freighter right outside Coruscant. Most of the time though, they'd take isolated freighters from backwater worlds without major defence forces, like Tatooine. They'd do this by hanging around the planet and pouncing on freighters that show up, then presumably leaving before sector forces can get there. Now, escorts are necessary because particularly large groups may well attack convoys, possibly using interdiction mines to rip them out of hyperspace, or just hitting them when they're far away from the planet's protection. It's not very common, but if the target's valuable you need protection just in case it does happen.

Interdiction

Interdiction is obviously a useful technology. However, its role can be expanded a bit. First some lore. Interdiction works by projecting solely the hyperspace component of the gravity well, at enormous power due to the high generation of SW ships. An interdictor's field of influence literally stops a ship from jumping, because making the jump would tear them apart. As such, they have a field in which it is impossible or at least unsafe to jump, and then a greater area in which they have some limited effect. Interdiction mines should also be present, but they won't be cheap to run long-term, since you need to continually power the field itself, which exhausts fuel very quickly. As such, only relatively rich planets will make much use of them. However, those planets that do use them can saturate their orbits with them, to be turned on in case of imminent attack. Invading forces will then be stopped much further away, and forced to either shoot their way through the minefield to actually jump closer or travel at sublight speeds.

Escaping

Escaping through hyperspace is indeed possible. However, there are a few things that must be considered. Firstly, calculating a route takes time, probably a few minutes depending on the ship making the calculations. The further away you're jumping to, the longer. Due to the cleared nature of hyperlanes, calculating an escape along one of those is also much faster than a "free" jump. When escaping, it is not possible to directly track the escapee. However, one can use algorithms that account for a number of complex variables to calculate their possible destinations, which should be pretty nearby anyway since it's faster, and then send ships there to try find them. This is the reason why "Calculate every possible destination along their last known trajectory" is a doable thing. There is a second consideration, namely battle damage. Taking a hit to a structural beam will likely weaken it, meaning that a jump that would have been safe before would become dangerous. The nav computer won't know that either, it'll just know your original strength rating. Jumping after taking damage risks disintegration on jumping. If you can trap a ship in low orbit and pound on it, you can theoretically stop it from running entirely. However, this is only if it takes integral structural damage. You can't always stop a ship, probably not even usually, which is why the Immobiliser 418 and Dominator are necessary.

Hyperlanes

Hyperlanes are areas of space that have been cleared of obstructions, presumably by major effort. Systems along hyperplanes will probably obstruct part of it, meaning it's easier to stop in at each individual one and slowboat across the system to go through. There are likely massive traffic "lanes" in systems on hyperplanes for ships that are just passing through, necessitating lots of protection and traffic control. Travelling along hyperplanes can be done much faster than through "free" space, since the ship in question will not have to manoeuvre around obstacles. This also makes them much cheaper fuel-wise to travel along, incentivising traders to use them. The larger, and thus safer, a hyperlane is, the faster it can be travelled and the cheaper travel is. Major lanes like the Hydian way are likely very large, possibly light-hours across. Others may be as small as a couple of AU, depending on how frequently-traveled and maintained the lane itself is. The bigger it is, the more expensive it is to maintain. Hyperlanes are excellent avenues to move large forces along, since they offer very quick travel.
The measurement of a ship's speed isn't going to be how fast it travels along hyperlanes, which would entail only marginal difference in time taken, but rather the speeds possible in "free" space. The differentiator of a good hyperdrive is mostly the navigation and manoeuvring system, as well as possibly its energy efficiency for a given speed.

Collisions

Now, the one people probably might want to know with this system is whether a hyperspace ram is possible. The answer is, both for gameplay purposes and lore purposes, no, since you'll pass harmlessly through them. Neither is ramming while accelerating up to or dropping out from hyperspace a truly viable tactic in anything but the most unbelievably precise situations. You will not be able to replicate the Holdo Manoeuvre, so don't try it. Even in the case that you do, any warship at full shielding should be able to take the impact fairly easily, unless you're physically bigger than them. Something like what Holdo pulled would require so many things to coincidentally come together that you'd stand a better chance of doing damage if you get out and use your fists against them. 99% of the time you miss and just enter hyperspace, 1% of the time you hit and transfer a lot of energy into the shields but do nothing of import other than totally wrecking your ship. The chances of doing meaningful damage are so small that I won't even have to bother writing them in. Just stick to turbolasers.

Thank you! I like that! I'll put it in, and I don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever.

Lotrisia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lotrisia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:48 pm

Abbeyverne wrote:
Lotrisia wrote:As Tysklandia has asked me to put forward my proposal for hyperspace as well, here it is

Limitations

Interdiction

Escaping

Hyperlanes

Collisions

Thank you! I like that! I'll put it in, and I don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever.

I should add the consideration that you can't precalculate a route beforehand, since the calculations are complex and include your current position and orientation, which is impossible to predict with precalculation. Precalculating would then just expedite the process of calculation by including the rough route. A ship's orientation should also be roughly in the direction you want to go when calculating, and straight and level, since orientation is a factor in calculation

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:40 pm

Lotrisia wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:

I should add the consideration that you can't precalculate a route beforehand, since the calculations are complex and include your current position and orientation, which is impossible to predict with precalculation. Precalculating would then just expedite the process of calculation by including the rough route. A ship's orientation should also be roughly in the direction you want to go when calculating, and straight and level, since orientation is a factor in calculation

Ok, that makes sense.

Tysklandia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tysklandia » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:09 pm

In terms of responding to the IC, i'm working on a post for the Azure Hammer conflict, i'll follow that up with a Fondor reply this week.

For OP:
- We are having some discussions about ground warfare, specifically for Orbital bombardment. I know, we are buzz-kills :p
I think we have some form of basic logic that allows everything we like about star wars combat that doesn't require everyone to just ignore the possibility of orbital strikes.

We will post it once we have given it a bit more thought.

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Ruhr Draay APP

Postby Flarbinia » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:39 pm

Name: Ruhr Draay
Faction: black Sun (Current), Jedi Order (Previous)
Appearance: During his days as a Jedi, Ruhr closely resembled his ancestor Lucian. However, due to being on the run into old age, he has gray hair, a beard, Black sun tattoos and wears a duster over the rusty and dented armor he bought off the Black Market.
Personality: Ruhr Draay is a cynic, refusing to get involved in Galactic Affairs out of a belief that the Sith are destined to rise again and continue the endless conflict. However, due to being born and raised in a family that prides itself on the Lightsaber Combat prowess of its Force Sensitive members, he refuses to throw away his Lightsaber, seeing the very thought as the weakness of a dishonorable coward.

Recognizing the need to stay one step ahead of the Empire, Ruhr only uses his Lightsaber when there are no witnesses and goes into battle with the intent of leaving no survivors.
Skills: Mastery of Form I, Form II, Form III, Form V, and Form VI. Force Push, Force Pull, Jedi Mind Trick, and Tutaminis. Marksmanship with blasters
Weapons: Single Action Slugthrower that holds six rounds. Lightsaber with green blade and rusty bronze handle
Ship: Barrison (YU-410)
Bio: Born into a family notorious for its skill with the Lightsaber, Ruhr Draay was expected by his parents to become a Jedi, being taught the history of the various Lightsabers used by his ancestors, though they dodged questions about their most prominent ancestor. Their wish was granted when they were visited by a Gamorrean Jedi Master known only by the nickname "Snarl", Ruhr being taken to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant to begin his training. It was on Coruscant that he discovered that Lucien Draay had attempted to murder his apprentice, framed the apprentice for the Padawan Massacre, and allowed Haazen to gain control of the Jedi Covenant, these actions turning the Draays into pariahs in the eyes of the Jedi, the last of his ancestors to be brought into the Order being twin brothers who killed each other on Ruusan. However, Master "Snarl" only saw this as a challenge for Ruhr to overcome, as he himself as ostracized for being a Gammorean. To illustrate that point, "Snarl" began training his apprentice in the Lightsaber Forms suited for a Gamorrean: Schii-Cho (Form I), Makashi (Form II), Soresu (Form III), and Shien/Djem So (Form V). Three months later, "Snarl" was sent to Galidraan, a mission he would not return from. Ruhr Draay was quickly assigned to Thor Fey'Lir, a Bothan who did not hesitate to point out that due to "Snarl" preferring to resolve conflicts with his Lightsaber than the Force, Ruhr was behind other Padawans his age. While Ruhr was not pleased at the response, he accepted Thor's tutelage, as he could not deny that his skills in the use of the Force had been neglected by his late mentor.

Thor taught him how to push and pull objects with the force, how to use the Force to persuade others into doing or saying what he need them to say or do, how to use the Force to protect himself from incoming blaster fire, and most importantly, how to incorporate Force Abilities into his Lightsaber technique. However, after his knighting ceremony, Ruhr were placed in positions of command of men they had not met before and sent to the frontlines with Master Thor. They fought against the Separatists until Vjun, where Serpent Squad, upon being receiving the command to execute Order 66, killed Thor: Fang stabbed the Bothan in the back with his poisoned tipped Vibrobade, Quickstrike shooting Master Thor in the back, Inferno lighting him on fire, and Berserker beating him to death with a rock. Seeing his master killed in front of him, Ruhr was filled with rage, charging at the Commandos and decapitating three of them before tossing Berserker into the nearby cave wall, running out into the acid rain once he realized that more Clones would be heading to their position to dispose of the bodies. After a year of being presumed dead, Ruhr Draay had reemerged on Jelucan, working for Prince Xizor as a smuggler, though nobody recognized him due to the beard, tattoos, duster, and armor. Once he had concluded his business on the planet, he headed to his next assignment before the Inquisition arrived. The success of this pattern amused Xizor, who had a longstanding rivalry with Vader for the Emperor's favor and knew a potential recruit for the Inquisition remaining one step ahead of the Empire would make Vader look bad. Even after the Emperor's death, Ruhr has continued to keep as low a profile as possible, not wanting to draw attention at a time when the Empire's eyes are focused elsewhere. However, with Vader dead and Black Sun expanding due to the demise of Jabba The Hutt and its alliance with his father Zorba, it will not be long before Xizor decides that he has outlived his usefulness.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:59 am

Tysklandia wrote:In terms of responding to the IC, i'm working on a post for the Azure Hammer conflict, i'll follow that up with a Fondor reply this week.

For OP:
- We are having some discussions about ground warfare, specifically for Orbital bombardment. I know, we are buzz-kills :p
I think we have some form of basic logic that allows everything we like about star wars combat that doesn't require everyone to just ignore the possibility of orbital strikes.

Great! I can't wait to see it. Can you repost the link to the discord so I can put it in this thread's OP? Still can't join though...

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Star Wars: Empire's End (OOC/Signups) [OPEN!!]

Postby Abbeyverne » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:04 am

Flarbinia wrote:Name: Ruhr Draay
Appearance: During his days as a Jedi, Ruhr closely resembled his ancestor Lucian. However, due to being on the run into old age, he has gray hair, a beard, Black sun tattoos and wears a duster over the rusty and dented armor he bought off the Black Market.
Personality: Ruhr Draay is a cynic, refusing to get involved in Galactic Affairs out of a belief that the Sith are destined to rise again and continue the endless conflict. However, due to being born and raised in a family that prides itself on the Lightsaber Combat prowess of its Force Sensitive members, he refuses to throw away his Lightsaber, seeing the very thought as the weakness of a dishonorable coward.

Recognizing the need to stay one step ahead of the Empire, Ruhr only uses his Lightsaber when there are no witnesses and goes into battle with the intent of leaving no survivors.
Skills: Mastery of Form I, Form II, Form III, Form V, and Form VI. Force Push, Force Pull, Jedi Mind Trick, and Tutaminis. Marksmanship with blasters
Weapons: Single Action Slugthrower that holds six rounds. Lightsaber with green blade and rusty bronze handle
Bio: Born into a family notorious for its skill with the Lightsaber, Ruhr Draay was expected by his parents to become a Jedi, being taught the history of the various Lightsabers used by his ancestors, though they dodged questions about their most prominent ancestor. Their wish was granted when they were visited by a Gamorrean Jedi Master known only by the nickname "Snarl", Ruhr being taken to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant to begin his training. It was on Coruscant that he discovered that Lucien Draay had attempted to murder his apprentice, framed the apprentice for the Padawan Massacre, and allowed Haazen to gain control of the Jedi Covenant, these actions turning the Draays into pariahs in the eyes of the Jedi, the last of his ancestors to be brought into the Order being twin brothers who killed each other on Ruusan. However, Master "Snarl" only saw this as a challenge for Ruhr to overcome, as he himself as ostracized for being a Gammorean. To illustrate that point, "Snarl" began training his apprentice in the Lightsaber Forms suited for a Gamorrean: Schii-Cho (Form I), Makashi (Form II), Soresu (Form III), and Shien/Djem So (Form V). Three months later, "Snarl" was sent to Galidraan, a mission he would not return from. Ruhr Draay was quickly assigned to Thor Fey'Lir, a Bothan who did not hesitate to point out that due to "Snarl" preferring to resolve conflicts with his Lightsaber than the Force, Ruhr was behind other Padawans his age. While Ruhr was not pleased at the response, he accepted Thor's tutelage, as he could not deny that his skills in the use of the Force had been neglected by his late mentor.

Thor taught him how to push and pull objects with the force, how to use the Force to persuade others into doing or saying what he need them to say or do, how to use the Force to protect himself from incoming blaster fire, and most importantly, how to incorporate Force Abilities into his Lightsaber technique. However, after his knighting ceremony, Ruhr were placed in positions of command of men they had not met before and sent to the frontlines with Master Thor. They fought against the Separatists until Vjun, where Serpent Squad, upon being receiving the command to execute Order 66, killed Thor: Fang stabbed the Bothan in the back with his poisoned tipped Vibrobade, Quickstrike shooting Master Thor in the back, Inferno lighting him on fire, and Berserker beating him to death with a rock. Seeing his master killed in front of him, Ruhr was filled with rage, charging at the Commandos and decapitating three of them before tossing Berserker into the nearby cave wall, running out into the acid rain once he realized that more Clones would be heading to their position to dispose of the bodies. After a year of being presumed dead, Ruhr Draay had reemerged on Jelucan, working for Prince Xizor as a smuggler, though nobody recognized him due to the beard, tattoos, duster, and armor. Once he had concluded his business on the planet, he headed to his next assignment before the Inquisition arrived. The success of this pattern amused Xizor, who had a longstanding rivalry with Vader for the Emperor's favor and knew a potential recruit for the Inquisition remaining one step ahead of the Empire would make Vader look bad. Even after the Emperor's death, Ruhr has continued to keep as low a profile as possible, not wanting to draw attention at a time when the Empire's eyes are focused elsewhere. However, with Vader dead and Black Sun expanding due to the demise of Jabba The Hutt and its alliance with his father Zorba, it will not be long before Xizor decides that he has outlived his usefulness.

Interesting story. I will accept with the condition you be careful with his use of the force, he is old, after all.

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:20 pm

Abbeyverne wrote:
Flarbinia wrote:Name: Ruhr Draay

Interesting story. I will accept with the condition you be careful with his use of the force, he is old, after all.

Thank you. I am looking forward to my next post.

Tysklandia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tysklandia » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:04 pm

Abbeyverne wrote:
Tysklandia wrote:In terms of responding to the IC, i'm working on a post for the Azure Hammer conflict, i'll follow that up with a Fondor reply this week.

For OP:

Great! I can't wait to see it. Can you repost the link to the discord so I can put it in this thread's OP? Still can't join though...

https://discord.gg/jBFecXBD

I might hold a vote to re-create the discord though. Our friend ZERO COMMAND is the admin and he is AWOHL due to work for the next few weeks, sadly enough. But for now, it works.

The proposed ground warfare bit, i'll post during the weekend. Our discussion was lively xD

I do have a proposal for Fondor, who shall control Fondor and it's defense forces? Will you do so? One of the rebel players who doesn't intend to play a major part in it has volunteered and it may give the battle more Ooompf. A bit iffy to give a rebel player command of an Imperial NPC, but i'd suggest giving him a chance.
With Zero command Awohl, it will just be me and Fondor's Moff organising the defense, with Teta likely fleeing far away once the shooting starts.

Lotrisia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Orbital defences proposal

Postby Lotrisia » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:53 am

Woohoo another proposal instalment by Lotrisia! I shall do my best not to let this one drag on too much. Whether or not I get approved to help out narrating the Fondor garrison, this should hopefully be helpful.

Orbital defences are often neglected but are fairly decently described, at least in theory. However, as with much of Star Wars's lore, it's a bit unsatisfactory for our purposes. I won't ramble on about the exact purposes, we all know those, but I will make an effort to lay out some proposals for general rules surrounding the makeup of orbital defences, including things like Golan Stations, planetary shields and ground-based emplacements. As always, the proposals are separate from each other, so if some bits don't work we can mix and match them with other solutions.

Orbital defences
Orbital defence platforms are perhaps the simplest element to flesh out due to fairly decent lore on them, so I'll start with them. Orbital defence platforms are usually going to be in low orbit of a planet, to protect the more vital infrastructure, like shipyard facilities. It'd probably be quite unusual to see defensive stations high up in a planet's gravity well. They will naturally experience a range in sizes similar to that which ships do, but there are crucial differences to note. One is that, for their size, defensive stations will be proportionately stronger than a similarly-sized ship, since they don't need to dedicate any power to actually manoeuvring. A Victory-sized station should be able to dedicate proportionately more power to weapons and shields. The next is related to this. Due to the fact that mass isn't really an issue, since they never really manoeuvre under fire, orbital defence stations can mount a proportionately larger reactor. This won't always come to pass, but in something like a Golan III, a station that punches way above its size class, it'll come into play. More about the Golans later. Orbital defence stations should reasonably have some limited adjustment thrusters, though obviously far below those of a starship. They'll be more for adjusting orbits and orienting the station than for trying any fancy manoeuvring mid-battle.

Types of orbital defence platforms

The most well-known orbital defence platforms we have are the famous Golan Platforms, which at this point will consist of the Golan I, Golan II, and Golan III. Those stations vary in size, from the Golan I, which is significantly smaller than an ISD, to a Golan II, which is bigger than an Allegiance, and the Golan III, which is noticeably bigger than the Golan II. Here's my take on their relative sizes and reactor power.

The Golan I is roughly equal in reactor power to a Victory or Venator, and would prove to be a match for either of those. It is designed to engage corvettes, frigates and destroyers like the VSD. It possesses a relatively small hangar, enough to mount 36 fighters and some shuttles.

The Golan II is much larger, dwarfing ISDs, and is roughly equal in reactor power to an Allegiance. It is intended to engage the midrange of capital ships, from ISDs up to the Praetor Mk I, though the top end may well be a struggle for a single station. It possesses hangars that are proportionately small for its size but still large, mounting a maximum complement of 216 fighters, a couple of gunships and some shuttles.

The Golan III is not too much larger than the Golan II, but possesses a reactor significantly larger than its smaller cousin. It's intended to fight very large capital ships, spanning from Praetors all the way up to a Mandator II, but it can still comfortably engage things like ISDs, though not as proficiently as the Golan II can. It's equipped with an oversized reactor and superheavy weapons. The Golan III is notable for not possessing much in the way of hangar bays despite its large size, only sporting 72 fighters and then shuttles. It does this to focus better on its role as a dedicated anti-capital ship installation.

Golans, obviously, aren't going to be the only stations used, even by the Empire. It's likely that there will be a number of different stations in use by various factions. These will span a variety of sizes and roles, from small corvette-sized installations only good for engaging fighters and asteroids, all the way up to the 10km Grade III stations referenced in ICS, which will both be unbelievably rare due to their cost, and extremely dangerous to engage. The varying roles are also going to be important, from dedicated anticapital stations like the Golan III to dedicated carrier stations like the XQ platforms.

Ground defences

In accordance with our ground combat paradigms, which will be detailed later, ground-based defences are to be divided into two categories:

High orbit defences are the large, powerful batteries, like the V-150 Ion Cannon seen at Hoth, and the W-165 turbolaser. These defences are extremely powerful, able to pose a major threat to even large defences. However, the cost is literal cost, in credits. High orbit defences require enormous amounts of fuel to power, which is a drain on a planet under siege. This is compounded by the sheer cost of building one. The necessity to brace the ground against their immense recoil, and the complex components necessary in their construction, means only truly affluent groups and planets can afford to mount decent numbers of them.

Low orbit defences are significantly smaller than the their more powerful cousins, but are also far cheaper and more numerous. They'd be composed primarily of small heavy turbolasers and medium turbolasers. A planet will be able to mount far more in the way of these than the big weapons. These batteries are almost never mechanically precise enough to accurately target high orbit ships, an unfortunate side effect of their location planet-side. Their small size compounds the problems, limiting them primarily to relatively low orbits. Despite this problem, they are still very commonly mounted, as they serve to create a general area of denial in low orbits, necessitating ground forces to silence them in detail. This, however, will be detailed better in the post about ground forces.

Planetary shields

Planetary shields are emplaced on planets to protect them in the case of a siege. They are extremely expensive to keep up, as a massive shield surface must be maintained and powered. As a result of this, planetary shields are kept close to the edge of the atmosphere, in order to minimise the area of shield surface that must be powered, thus lowering the total amount of fuel expenditure. This, however, prevents orbital defence stations from being emplaced underneath the shield, as they would be encountering atmospheric drag, and also would create enormous amounts of atmospheric heating when offloading energy through radiators, or when firing. Planetary shields will also vary in power. Some may be rather weak, only able to stand up to an ISD for a while, while planets like Coruscant will have incredibly powerful shields, capable of sustaining bombardment from entire fleets without failing. However, they will also be incredibly expensive to run, especially in terms of fuel expenditure.

Fighters

Fighters are going to be an important aspect of any orbital defence network. You will two main ways of storing defence force fighters. Orbital hangar stations will essentially be enormous shielded boxes with station-keeping thrusters, possibly with some mid-sized defensive weapons. The fighters that you launch out of these will largely be solely space-based fighters like the TIE/ln. The other kind is ground facilities, which will mount regular fighters, but also trans-orbital fighters like the TIE Striker. These will perform better than space borne fighters in atmosphere, likely having better repulsorlift performance, but will suffer when outside of a gravity well, and as such must be kept relatively close to the planet.

The Cattagines
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

Coalition expansion

Postby The Cattagines » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:37 am

Overview: The Braccan Coalition has become a much more affluent faction since it’s emergence. With multiple galactic powers using its resources and its neutrality to help them with various interests. Trade convoys are continually moving in and out as the various fleet yards and the scaffold are humming with activity as trade continues to expand. With the amounts of resources coming into bracca, expansion of its assets has finally become a serious possibility, and the assembly has approved the following

New ships:
144 Droid Tri fighters have been brought online from mothballs and scrapyards, now that there was finally the fuel and munitions to equip them. As expansion continues, more fighters will be brought online
48 V wings
48 ARC-170s
24 X wings purchased from various retailers, at a high markup, limiting the number purchased
36 Y wings
Currently the most lacking element of the fighter compliment is trained pilots, meaning that the space around Bracca is almost always abuzz with training flights and a segment of space on the scaffold has been reserved for VR training suites for the trainees.
4 Imperial Nebulon Bs have been brought out of mothballs and powered up.
1 Lancer class
2 Raider class

Changes to infrastructure:
The half converted ISD that was taking up space around the scaffold has been slated to be fully integrated into the stations structure. When heavy rugs traded with Zsinjs sector arrive, the ship will be disconnected temporarily from the net and fully integrated, its reactor system becoming another secondary power source for the station, allowing for the expansion of all operations and allowing for more of the Star destroyers weapons compliment to join the existing station defenses.

A quartet of old scrapped SPHA-T artillery pieces have been added to the scaffolds defensive armament, finally able to be powered by the new reactors, this greatly increases the scaffolds abilities as a combat platform

With the addition of new guidance thrusters, the station has been rated for additional shipbuilding facilities, and with material coming in from independent contractors, the stations capacity for construction is being expanded.

On the ground, the number of engineers and scrappers has been rising since the coalitions emergence. With a safe, neutral space to find work, more and more skilled workers who might not have found work elsewhere have settled with family on the planet. The most notable group being members of the former Free Dac manufacturing group, who had been imprisoned on Wobani prior to the empires withdrawal from the system, these quarren engineers have provided valuable information on how to better reactivate and utilize former CIS assets.

Ship building:
The prosperous future ahead for the coalition has been marked by the first independent engineering project the group has undertaken since the revolution. Utilizing the extraordinarily efficient reactor system of the many YX-950 freighters that were deposited to Bracca after the craft was made illegal, the coalition has begun producing the Ajax-class outrider.

With a length of 35 meters, the Ajax is scaled approximately to the size of light freighter craft like the YT series, inspired by modified ships of those types proving their effectiveness as combat vessels during the galactic civil war, the coalition has chosen to design a ship of that size from the ground up for combat grade maneuvering. It has a crew of 7, and a very cramped design. This is to accommodate the oversized reactor and many ship systems that make the Ajax so dangerous. The reactor allows for an exceptionally efficient power shunting system, though the waste heat it generates had to be taken account of as well. The ships most impressive systems for combat are its engines and weaponry, it has slightly above average shields and armor for a ship it’s size, but it’s weaponry is especially potent. A trio of fire linked heavy turbolasers. The intended use being to either destroy smaller ships with their firepower, or to slip under the shield profiles of larger craft and use them within the permitter. In addition there are a two quad laser cannons in turreted form and a pair of modular munitions launchers. Alongside the traditional compliments of missiles and torpedoes of all types loaded based on mission, they can also be used to deploy mines, probes, or even some types of satellites. It’s engine system is also impressive, propelling it at full power to the speed of strike craft, though never as fast as interceptors. Running the engines at full power has downsides, as waste heat has required a radiator system so intense that the panels that shunt heat out the back compromise the ships shield profile when deployed. Outside of combat, the Ajax comes laid with powerful comm and sensor packages for its side, as well as a hyperdrive. As of now, 7 of these ships have been completed, with 23 currently under construction and more planned for the future. A future that is looking more and more bright for the forces of the coalition.

OOC notes: this is here basically to show what I plan for the next major check in post for the Coalition will look like, and is informed by the amount of dealings Ive had with other players who havent necessarily had the time for length IC posts about it
Last edited by The Cattagines on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:37 am

Tysklandia wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:

https://discord.gg/jBFecXBD

I might hold a vote to re-create the discord though. Our friend ZERO COMMAND is the admin and he is AWOHL due to work for the next few weeks, sadly enough. But for now, it works.

The proposed ground warfare bit, i'll post during the weekend. Our discussion was lively xD

I do have a proposal for Fondor, who shall control Fondor and it's defense forces? Will you do so? One of the rebel players who doesn't intend to play a major part in it has volunteered and it may give the battle more Ooompf. A bit iffy to give a rebel player command of an Imperial NPC, but i'd suggest giving him a chance.
With Zero command Awohl, it will just be me and Fondor's Moff organising the defense, with Teta likely fleeing far away once the shooting starts.

Ok, that sounds good. I say the rebel guy can be the Moff.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:39 am

Lotrisia wrote:Woohoo another proposal instalment by Lotrisia! I shall do my best not to let this one drag on too much. Whether or not I get approved to help out narrating the Fondor garrison, this should hopefully be helpful.

Orbital defences are often neglected but are fairly decently described, at least in theory. However, as with much of Star Wars's lore, it's a bit unsatisfactory for our purposes. I won't ramble on about the exact purposes, we all know those, but I will make an effort to lay out some proposals for general rules surrounding the makeup of orbital defences, including things like Golan Stations, planetary shields and ground-based emplacements. As always, the proposals are separate from each other, so if some bits don't work we can mix and match them with other solutions.

Orbital defences
Orbital defence platforms are perhaps the simplest element to flesh out due to fairly decent lore on them, so I'll start with them. Orbital defence platforms are usually going to be in low orbit of a planet, to protect the more vital infrastructure, like shipyard facilities. It'd probably be quite unusual to see defensive stations high up in a planet's gravity well. They will naturally experience a range in sizes similar to that which ships do, but there are crucial differences to note. One is that, for their size, defensive stations will be proportionately stronger than a similarly-sized ship, since they don't need to dedicate any power to actually manoeuvring. A Victory-sized station should be able to dedicate proportionately more power to weapons and shields. The next is related to this. Due to the fact that mass isn't really an issue, since they never really manoeuvre under fire, orbital defence stations can mount a proportionately larger reactor. This won't always come to pass, but in something like a Golan III, a station that punches way above its size class, it'll come into play. More about the Golans later. Orbital defence stations should reasonably have some limited adjustment thrusters, though obviously far below those of a starship. They'll be more for adjusting orbits and orienting the station than for trying any fancy manoeuvring mid-battle.

Types of orbital defence platforms

The most well-known orbital defence platforms we have are the famous Golan Platforms, which at this point will consist of the Golan I, Golan II, and Golan III. Those stations vary in size, from the Golan I, which is significantly smaller than an ISD, to a Golan II, which is bigger than an Allegiance, and the Golan III, which is noticeably bigger than the Golan II. Here's my take on their relative sizes and reactor power.

The Golan I is roughly equal in reactor power to a Victory or Venator, and would prove to be a match for either of those. It is designed to engage corvettes, frigates and destroyers like the VSD. It possesses a relatively small hangar, enough to mount 36 fighters and some shuttles.

The Golan II is much larger, dwarfing ISDs, and is roughly equal in reactor power to an Allegiance. It is intended to engage the midrange of capital ships, from ISDs up to the Praetor Mk I, though the top end may well be a struggle for a single station. It possesses hangars that are proportionately small for its size but still large, mounting a maximum complement of 216 fighters, a couple of gunships and some shuttles.

The Golan III is not too much larger than the Golan II, but possesses a reactor significantly larger than its smaller cousin. It's intended to fight very large capital ships, spanning from Praetors all the way up to a Mandator II, but it can still comfortably engage things like ISDs, though not as proficiently as the Golan II can. It's equipped with an oversized reactor and superheavy weapons. The Golan III is notable for not possessing much in the way of hangar bays despite its large size, only sporting 72 fighters and then shuttles. It does this to focus better on its role as a dedicated anti-capital ship installation.

Golans, obviously, aren't going to be the only stations used, even by the Empire. It's likely that there will be a number of different stations in use by various factions. These will span a variety of sizes and roles, from small corvette-sized installations only good for engaging fighters and asteroids, all the way up to the 10km Grade III stations referenced in ICS, which will both be unbelievably rare due to their cost, and extremely dangerous to engage. The varying roles are also going to be important, from dedicated anticapital stations like the Golan III to dedicated carrier stations like the XQ platforms.

Ground defences

In accordance with our ground combat paradigms, which will be detailed later, ground-based defences are to be divided into two categories:

High orbit defences are the large, powerful batteries, like the V-150 Ion Cannon seen at Hoth, and the W-165 turbolaser. These defences are extremely powerful, able to pose a major threat to even large defences. However, the cost is literal cost, in credits. High orbit defences require enormous amounts of fuel to power, which is a drain on a planet under siege. This is compounded by the sheer cost of building one. The necessity to brace the ground against their immense recoil, and the complex components necessary in their construction, means only truly affluent groups and planets can afford to mount decent numbers of them.

Low orbit defences are significantly smaller than the their more powerful cousins, but are also far cheaper and more numerous. They'd be composed primarily of small heavy turbolasers and medium turbolasers. A planet will be able to mount far more in the way of these than the big weapons. These batteries are almost never mechanically precise enough to accurately target high orbit ships, an unfortunate side effect of their location planet-side. Their small size compounds the problems, limiting them primarily to relatively low orbits. Despite this problem, they are still very commonly mounted, as they serve to create a general area of denial in low orbits, necessitating ground forces to silence them in detail. This, however, will be detailed better in the post about ground forces.

Planetary shields

Planetary shields are emplaced on planets to protect them in the case of a siege. They are extremely expensive to keep up, as a massive shield surface must be maintained and powered. As a result of this, planetary shields are kept close to the edge of the atmosphere, in order to minimise the area of shield surface that must be powered, thus lowering the total amount of fuel expenditure. This, however, prevents orbital defence stations from being emplaced underneath the shield, as they would be encountering atmospheric drag, and also would create enormous amounts of atmospheric heating when offloading energy through radiators, or when firing. Planetary shields will also vary in power. Some may be rather weak, only able to stand up to an ISD for a while, while planets like Coruscant will have incredibly powerful shields, capable of sustaining bombardment from entire fleets without failing. However, they will also be incredibly expensive to run, especially in terms of fuel expenditure.

Fighters

Fighters are going to be an important aspect of any orbital defence network. You will two main ways of storing defence force fighters. Orbital hangar stations will essentially be enormous shielded boxes with station-keeping thrusters, possibly with some mid-sized defensive weapons. The fighters that you launch out of these will largely be solely space-based fighters like the TIE/ln. The other kind is ground facilities, which will mount regular fighters, but also trans-orbital fighters like the TIE Striker. These will perform better than space borne fighters in atmosphere, likely having better repulsorlift performance, but will suffer when outside of a gravity well, and as such must be kept relatively close to the planet.

And another great proposal, thank you! I agree, If you will give me a moment, I will add it in later.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:32 am

The Cattagines wrote:Overview: The Braccan Coalition has become a much more affluent faction since it’s emergence. With multiple galactic powers using its resources and its neutrality to help them with various interests. Trade convoys are continually moving in and out as the various fleet yards and the scaffold are humming with activity as trade continues to expand. With the amounts of resources coming into bracca, expansion of its assets has finally become a serious possibility, and the assembly has approved the following

New ships:
144 Droid Tri fighters have been brought online from mothballs and scrapyards, now that there was finally the fuel and munitions to equip them. As expansion continues, more fighters will be brought online
48 V wings
48 ARC-170s
24 X wings purchased from various retailers, at a high markup, limiting the number purchased
36 Y wings
Currently the most lacking element of the fighter compliment is trained pilots, meaning that the space around Bracca is almost always abuzz with training flights and a segment of space on the scaffold has been reserved for VR training suites for the trainees.
4 Imperial Nebulon Bs have been brought out of mothballs and powered up.
1 Lancer class
2 Raider class

Changes to infrastructure:
The half converted ISD that was taking up space around the scaffold has been slated to be fully integrated into the stations structure. When heavy rugs traded with Zsinjs sector arrive, the ship will be disconnected temporarily from the net and fully integrated, its reactor system becoming another secondary power source for the station, allowing for the expansion of all operations and allowing for more of the Star destroyers weapons compliment to join the existing station defenses.

A quartet of old scrapped SPHA-T artillery pieces have been added to the scaffolds defensive armament, finally able to be powered by the new reactors, this greatly increases the scaffolds abilities as a combat platform

With the addition of new guidance thrusters, the station has been rated for additional shipbuilding facilities, and with material coming in from independent contractors, the stations capacity for construction is being expanded.

On the ground, the number of engineers and scrappers has been rising since the coalitions emergence. With a safe, neutral space to find work, more and more skilled workers who might not have found work elsewhere have settled with family on the planet. The most notable group being members of the former Free Dac manufacturing group, who had been imprisoned on Wobani prior to the empires withdrawal from the system, these quarren engineers have provided valuable information on how to better reactivate and utilize former CIS assets.

Ship building:
The prosperous future ahead for the coalition has been marked by the first independent engineering project the group has undertaken since the revolution. Utilizing the extraordinarily efficient reactor system of the many YX-950 freighters that were deposited to Bracca after the craft was made illegal, the coalition has begun producing the Ajax-class outrider.

With a length of 35 meters, the Ajax is scaled approximately to the size of light freighter craft like the YT series, inspired by modified ships of those types proving their effectiveness as combat vessels during the galactic civil war, the coalition has chosen to design a ship of that size from the ground up for combat grade maneuvering. It has a crew of 7, and a very cramped design. This is to accommodate the oversized reactor and many ship systems that make the Ajax so dangerous. The reactor allows for an exceptionally efficient power shunting system, though the waste heat it generates had to be taken account of as well. The ships most impressive systems for combat are its engines and weaponry, it has slightly above average shields and armor for a ship it’s size, but it’s weaponry is especially potent. A trio of fire linked heavy turbolasers. The intended use being to either destroy smaller ships with their firepower, or to slip under the shield profiles of larger craft and use them within the permitter. In addition there are a two quad laser cannons in turreted form and a pair of modular munitions launchers. Alongside the traditional compliments of missiles and torpedoes of all types loaded based on mission, they can also be used to deploy mines, probes, or even some types of satellites. It’s engine system is also impressive, propelling it at full power to the speed of strike craft, though never as fast as interceptors. Running the engines at full power has downsides, as waste heat has required a radiator system so intense that the panels that shunt heat out the back compromise the ships shield profile when deployed. Outside of combat, the Ajax comes laid with powerful comm and sensor packages for its side, as well as a hyperdrive. As of now, 7 of these ships have been completed, with 23 currently under construction and more planned for the future. A future that is looking more and more bright for the forces of the coalition.

OOC notes: this is here basically to show what I plan for the next major check in post for the Coalition will look like, and is informed by the amount of dealings Ive had with other players who havent necessarily had the time for length IC posts about it

Awesome!

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:15 pm

So, with Kaine's forces arrived at Fondor, Titan Command is going to try and stop the acquisition of the satellites, right? Then the NR players, led by Strala, and the TC will show up, am I correct in this?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse