NATION

PASSWORD

Term limits

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Are term limits good or bad for democracy?

Good
67%
Bad
33%

Total votes : 75

The Constitutional Republic of Freedonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Constitutional Republic of Freedonia » Fri May 13, 2016 9:12 am

Jolthig wrote:
The Constitutional Republic of Freedonia wrote:
I do certainly agree, and, judging by approval ratings, most everyone agrees, that Congress is in a bad state, but while I am not inherently against term limits, I would rather first see a relaxation of the age restrictions on Federal office. After all, the courts lack such a restriction, and they are essentially the only part of the government sans military to be ranked consistently highly.

What do you thinnk the age for eligibility in Congress should be?

I think the age of eligibility for any Federal office (the states can do their own thing), ought to be eighteen.
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Could always have what I like to call a "Jeffersonian term limit."

It involves firearms. And ideological passion.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri May 13, 2016 10:27 am

Esternial wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:There's a good reason to kick people out of office because it's much easier for the entrenched to maintain their power and apathetic voting is just the most obvious reason why.

It's not a necessity though. Hell democracy is not a necessity. We could always go back to the divine right of kings and make some of NSG's monarchists happy.

Uh, or queen. This is the 21st century.

How do I insert an archaic political system into the 21st century?

Oh right I forgot. Have lots of oil.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri May 13, 2016 10:41 am

Ifreann wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Your insistence that it was a necessity then is kind of off topic then as it's a point I never made.

If you don't see how limiting the potential power of those in charge is a good reason then I'd have to explain my reasoning, and well that would also be off topic because it would be about checks and balances as opposed to just term limits.

Whatever, please yourself.

Electing to ignore our own conditions for an off topic post are we?
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Costa Azzurra
Attaché

Founded: Mar 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Azzurra » Fri May 13, 2016 10:50 am

There shouldn't be term limits, as long as there is always a recall option, and terms aren't too long (France used to have 7-year terms with no limits, which I think is a bit much).
"The Grand Republic of Costa Azzurra is a popular and democratic state, forever free and indivisible."
— from the 1945 constitution

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri May 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Hardknock wrote:Populism, and pure democracy is ironically not very representative.

Why should it be?

51 people lording it over all 100 is not quite fair.

Yes it is. What the majority want is always fair, even if you disagree with it. The majority of Americans want and support gay marriage, so do you think it's fair that same sex couples shouldn't get married because a minority of people object to it?

This is why a two thirds consensus is a good idea.

Two thirds is how you make your legislature so inefficient it ceases to function. That's not a good idea.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The Constitutional Republic of Freedonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Constitutional Republic of Freedonia » Fri May 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Hardknock wrote:Populism, and pure democracy is ironically not very representative.

Why should it be?

51 people lording it over all 100 is not quite fair.

Yes it is. What the majority want is always fair, even if you disagree with it. The majority of Americans want and support gay marriage, so do you think it's fair that same sex couples shouldn't get married because a minority of people object to it?

This is why a two thirds consensus is a good idea.

Two thirds is how you make your legislature so inefficient it ceases to function. That's not a good idea.

Hey, for some of us libertarian-minarchist types, an inefficient government that cannot function is a government that cannot infringe on our rights!
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Could always have what I like to call a "Jeffersonian term limit."

It involves firearms. And ideological passion.

ITmans
Attaché

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby ITmans » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:32 am

I think that term limits are questionable, but have some relevance.
They limit the time, which a single person can occupy a position.
So, even if this person occupies the position because of corruption or appointed because of having the right connections,
he will be eventually forced to leave and even answer for his actions.
Having term limits can bring back some trust in the democracy. Because of the questionable nature of the elections.

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:14 am

Please do not gravedig. Thread locked.

Thanks!
NVI
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General