NATION

PASSWORD

WA Whaling act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
User avatar
Brulave
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 8
Founded: May 22, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

WA Whaling act

Postby Brulave » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:32 am

This is the forum for the WA Whaling act.

Seeing that in some WA nations that whaling, the act of hunting whales, is legal.

Acknowledging that whaling may be a part of some nations economies.

Noting that whale populations are decreasing around the world.

Benefits if this bill passes are
1. Whale populations will increase.
2. More chances to spot whales, which would positively affect tourism in nations with a whale population.
3. Populations of animals and plants that whales eat can be managed easier, preventing the creation of another invasive species.

The bill herby enacts
1. The WA will create a WA maintained ant-whaling service.
2. Whale sanctuaries will be created to protect whales. These are islands maintained by the WA that have jurisdiction to protect whales within a 150 mile radius.
3. Whaling is to be banned in a 150 mile radius of the coast of WA nations.
4. The selling of whale products (I.E. blubber) is banned in WA nations.

Further Protections
1. Ships with a size over 90 meters long are to be inspected by a WA inspector every 5 months to check for whaling equipment.
2. WA agents will infiltrate black market hubs and prevent the sale of whale products.
3. People caught whaling withing the 150 mile radius of protection for whales are to be punished with a felony charge with varying levels of punishment depending on the nation.
4. Buoys with regular and low light cameras are to be placed in the 150 mile radius to catch whaling and identify the ships which are whaling said whales.
Last edited by Brulave on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grays Harbor
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18526
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:14 pm

OOC: You have already submitted it. What’s to discuss?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Head of the Grays Harbor WA delegation: Sir Henry Rodut, OHE, GHC
3-2-1 lets jam

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10155
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Brulave wrote:The bill herby enacts

Hereby.

Author: 1 SC and 40 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Toxic villainous globalist kittehs
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley (EMW); OOC unless otherwise indicated
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Nooooooooooooooo
Diplomat
 
Posts: 602
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Nooooooooooooooo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:32 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Brulave wrote:The bill herby enacts

Hereby.

Who is Bill Herby?
https://i.ibb.co/0t409y4/spi.png
New Transeurasia wrote:
Did you know? Running faster than anyone else can help you win a race.


googles how to enter nascar with running shoes as your car

User avatar
Baedan
Attaché
 
Posts: 93
Founded: Jan 02, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Baedan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:11 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Brulave wrote:The bill herby enacts

Hereby.

You misunderstand - the bill's enforcement mechanism is Herby.

It'll be hard for her. She doesn't have any hands.
Last edited by Baedan on Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baedan 1: the journal of queer nihilism

purist raiderist
aurrelius, TBH, lily, obootsma 69

"more like Basedan" - some defender idk

formerly soppy

User avatar
Wayneactia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1689
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wayneactia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:34 pm

Nooooooooooooooo wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Hereby.

Who is Bill Herby?

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=herby

User avatar
Gatchina
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 16
Founded: May 29, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gatchina » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:40 pm

Gatchina will absolutely not support this racist resolution! This resolution targets our native communities and seeks to disrupt their way of life and destroy their culture and economy. Our native populations have engaged in whaling for centuries as a means of survival and a means of economic support. Whaling restrictions will have an adverse effect on their way of life, and we are disgusted by your perceived need to interfere with their ancient practices. Your contempt for our native population is despicable and we will have no part in helping you destroy their culture.
His Supreme & Imperial Excellency
His Imperial Highness, Colonel-General Prince Brendan I. Wentworth, III
Prime Minister of The Supreme & Exalted Empire of Gatchina
WA Delegate, Krasnaya

User avatar
Scalizagasti
Attaché
 
Posts: 84
Founded: Jun 15, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Scalizagasti » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:00 am

"There are numerous flaws with this resolution."

Brulave wrote:Acknowledging that whaling may be a part of some nations economies.

"You acknowledge this fact yet this entire resolution does nothing to address it. What will happen to all the people who rely on whaling for food and money? Totally banning the practice will only harm those economies."

Brulave wrote:3. Populations of animals and plants that whales eat can be managed easier, preventing the creation of another invasive species.

"That is... not how invasive species work. Because invasive species are introduced to an ecosystem, they generally will not have natural predators."

Brulave wrote:1. The WA will create a WA maintained ant-whaling service.

"What are ant whales?"

Brulave wrote:3. Whaling is to be banned in a 150 mile radius of the coast of WA nations.

"Why 150 miles? Also, does this not allow WA nations to whale on the coasts of non-member nations, defeating the whole purpose?"

Brulave wrote:4. The selling of whale products (I.E. blubber) is banned in WA nations.

"Can WA nations sell whale products outside of their borders then? Also, you should use 'e.g.' instead of 'i.e' because blubber is not a synonym for whale products."

Brulave wrote:1. Ships with a size over 90 meters long are to be inspected by a WA inspector every 5 months to check for whaling equipment.

"Why 90 meters long, and why 5 months?"

"Ultimately, there are a lot of things that need to be clarified, rewritten, and rethought before this resolution will become viable. In fact, the whole premise is flawed because you don't define what counts as a whale. Are dolphins and porpoises included? What about whales who are nowhere near extinction/endangerment?"
Scalizagasti (he/him)
Overseer of the Assembly in the United Regions Alliance (URA)
Senator in Mariner Trench
Former President of The Great Experiment

User avatar
Herby
Diplomat
 
Posts: 858
Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Herby » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:00 pm

Brulave wrote:herby enacts

Ehhhhhhhhhh no I don’t.
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

User avatar
Untecna
Diplomat
 
Posts: 942
Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Untecna » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:48 am

Brulave wrote:This is the forum for the WA Whaling act.

Seeing that in some WA nations that whaling, the act of hunting whales, is legal.

Acknowledging that whaling may be a part of some nations economies.

Noting that whale populations are decreasing around the world.

Benefits if this bill passes are
1. Whale populations will increase.
2. More chances to spot whales, which would positively affect tourism in nations with a whale population.
3. Populations of animals and plants that whales eat can be managed easier, preventing the creation of another invasive species.
Hahahaha no. Also, not how invasive species work!

The bill herby enactsHereby, not Herby, she will find it very hard to enact this.
1. The WA will create a WA maintained ant-whaling service. Unnecessary red tape!
2. Whale sanctuaries will be created to protect whales. These are islands maintained by the WA that have jurisdiction to protect whales within a 150 mile radius.
3. Whaling is to be banned in a 150 mile radius of the coast of WA nations.
4. The selling of whale products (I.E. blubber) is banned in WA nations. That will most likely drop fishing-based economy nations to lose loads of money.

Further Protections
1. Ships with a size over 90 meters long are to be inspected by a WA inspector every 5 months to check for whaling equipment. Which means that ships 89 meters or less will get past easily.
2. WA agents will infiltrate black market hubs and prevent the sale of whale products. Not happening.
3. People caught whaling withing the 150 mile radius of protection for whales are to be punished with a felony charge with varying levels of punishment depending on the nation.
4. Buoys with regular and low light cameras are to be placed in the 150 mile radius to catch whaling and identify the ships which are whaling said whales. At who's expense?
Somehow still arguing in the WA since 2020.
A Middle East nation that hates extremists of all stripes, and loves to keep his policies except for some that he needs to get rid of due to unfairness. Except the Death Penalty. We use it fairly, we are going to keep it.
Part of: SETA | IFTC | GRAIL | CATO
My storefronts: Palo

I denounce you

User avatar
Grays Harbor
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18526
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:54 am

WA agents will infiltrate black market hubs and prevent the sale of whale products.

There is no WA police nor “agents”. Not permitted.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Head of the Grays Harbor WA delegation: Sir Henry Rodut, OHE, GHC
3-2-1 lets jam

User avatar
TURTLESHROOM II
Senator
 
Posts: 3635
Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:57 am

A voice from the vents echoed into the conference room. It was that turtle again.

"Have y'all considered them quotas and sustainable harvestin'? We shouldn't deprahv people'a whale products, but huntin' 'em to extinction would be even worse."
Jesus loves you and died for you!
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

The Selkie wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 2/2/2021 AD):

Tsars eagerly anticpate arrival of Neo-Reactionary German Kaiser -|-TS refuses to lift travel warnings on known COVID despite no cases of the Kung Flu -|- TurtleShroom continues uncovering new Civil War casualties

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10155
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:01 am

Untecna wrote:
Brulave wrote:This is the forum for the WA Whaling act.

Seeing that in some WA nations that whaling, the act of hunting whales, is legal.

Acknowledging that whaling may be a part of some nations economies.

Noting that whale populations are decreasing around the world.

Benefits if this bill passes are
1. Whale populations will increase.
2. More chances to spot whales, which would positively affect tourism in nations with a whale population.
3. Populations of animals and plants that whales eat can be managed easier, preventing the creation of another invasive species.
Hahahaha no. Also, not how invasive species work!

The bill herby enactsHereby, not Herby, she will find it very hard to enact this.
1. The WA will create a WA maintained ant-whaling service. Unnecessary red tape!
2. Whale sanctuaries will be created to protect whales. These are islands maintained by the WA that have jurisdiction to protect whales within a 150 mile radius.
3. Whaling is to be banned in a 150 mile radius of the coast of WA nations.
4. The selling of whale products (I.E. blubber) is banned in WA nations. That will most likely drop fishing-based economy nations to lose loads of money.

Further Protections
1. Ships with a size over 90 meters long are to be inspected by a WA inspector every 5 months to check for whaling equipment. Which means that ships 89 meters or less will get past easily.
2. WA agents will infiltrate black market hubs and prevent the sale of whale products. Not happening.
3. People caught whaling withing the 150 mile radius of protection for whales are to be punished with a felony charge with varying levels of punishment depending on the nation.
4. Buoys with regular and low light cameras are to be placed in the 150 mile radius to catch whaling and identify the ships which are whaling said whales. At who's expense?

Surely you can make comments by reference to provisions outside of the quote tags instead of with garishly coloured remarks.

Author: 1 SC and 40 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Toxic villainous globalist kittehs
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley (EMW); OOC unless otherwise indicated
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Untecna
Diplomat
 
Posts: 942
Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Untecna » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:04 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Untecna wrote:

Surely you can make comments by reference to provisions outside of the quote tags instead of with garishly coloured remarks.

Not going to edit it now, focusing on other things.
Somehow still arguing in the WA since 2020.
A Middle East nation that hates extremists of all stripes, and loves to keep his policies except for some that he needs to get rid of due to unfairness. Except the Death Penalty. We use it fairly, we are going to keep it.
Part of: SETA | IFTC | GRAIL | CATO
My storefronts: Palo

I denounce you

User avatar
The Palentine
Diplomat
 
Posts: 744
Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:31 am

Deputy Ambassador Philo Simeon, along with three female staffers give their tentative approval for the legislation in a song...

'Tis advertised in Boston
New York and Buffalo,
A hundred hearty sailors
A whalin' for to go.

Blow, ye winds, o' mornin', blow, ye winds, hi ho
Haul away your runnin' gear and blow, boys, blow!

They tell you of the clipper ships
A-runnin' in and out.
They say you'll take five hundred whales
Before you're six months out...
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

User avatar
Ardiveds
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 414
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ardiveds » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:01 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
WA agents will infiltrate black market hubs and prevent the sale of whale products.

There is no WA police nor “agents”. Not permitted.

OOC: I do find the thought of well suited WA gnomes followed by Herby (cause that's the guy in charge of enacting this) trudging through those cliche "hive of scum and villainy" black markets looking for whale blubber quite amusing. :rofl:
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

User avatar
Araraukar
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15384
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am

IC: Linda looked utterly confused by the proposal at hand and leaned towards the nearest delegation to ask in stage whisper, "Is this proposal talking about some kind of cetaceans I don't know about? Ones that aren't sapient - or ones that eat plants, for that matter? The only whales I'm aware of, are carnivorous sapients. Sure, we can't talk their language nor can they speak ours, but they clearly do have languages and culture and teach such to their young and all that, some even use tools of sorts. Killing sapients for being invasive species is specifically not included in the relevant resolution, and just generally speaking killing sapients is called murder where I come from."

OOC: Look 'em up, no claim not found among RL cetaceans.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Coronavirus related. This too. And this. These are all jokes. This isn't. This is, again, but it's also the last one.
Apologies for absences, RL has been hectic, nothing to do with COVID-19, I'm just busy with other things than NS.

User avatar
Grays Harbor
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18526
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:47 am

Ardiveds wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:There is no WA police nor “agents”. Not permitted.

OOC: I do find the thought of well suited WA gnomes followed by Herby (cause that's the guy in charge of enacting this) trudging through those cliche "hive of scum and villainy" black markets looking for whale blubber quite amusing. :rofl:

“These are not the whales you are looking for.”
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Head of the Grays Harbor WA delegation: Sir Henry Rodut, OHE, GHC
3-2-1 lets jam

User avatar
Araraukar
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15384
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:33 am

Ardiveds wrote:Herby (cause that's the guy in charge of enacting this)

OOC: Herby's a gal, not a guy.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Coronavirus related. This too. And this. These are all jokes. This isn't. This is, again, but it's also the last one.
Apologies for absences, RL has been hectic, nothing to do with COVID-19, I'm just busy with other things than NS.

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 15788
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:43 am

"Opposed to anything that prevents us from space whaling."

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

User avatar
Araraukar
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15384
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:47 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed to anything that prevents us from space whaling."

"...now I want to go whale-watching in space..."
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Coronavirus related. This too. And this. These are all jokes. This isn't. This is, again, but it's also the last one.
Apologies for absences, RL has been hectic, nothing to do with COVID-19, I'm just busy with other things than NS.

User avatar
Far Tholk
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 63
Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Far Tholk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:57 am

A bit odd to use miles for one thing and meters for another in the same proposal. Also, why are sanctuaries limited to radii around islands? How are they selected? Who owns the islands? Better to drop the islands part and have sanctuaries be areas of water designated by a committee or left to member nations themselves.

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 15788
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:46 am

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed to anything that prevents us from space whaling."

"...now I want to go whale-watching in space..."

"Space whales are evil telekinetic creatures that must be destroyed."

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Walfo

Advertisement

Remove ads