NATION

PASSWORD

Shadow of the Reich [AH|OOC|CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:53 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:Couldn't have been born prior to 1943, so seventeen. Since Rockwell has divorced and remarried, it could be from either marriage, and I'm assuming he has kids from both (unless you're set on an only child).

Seventeen will work just fine, so I'll see to it. I'll telegram you if I have any questions!
Feel free, I'm very excited to see what you come up with.
Capilean News (Updated 16 November)
Where is the horse gone? Where the warrior?
Where is the treasure-giver? Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup! Alas for the mailed warrior!
Alas for the splendour of the prince!
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:31 am

This looks interesting, most of RPs like these are nation-based and lack a lot of fun so I'm glad to see someone change the formula a bit.

New United States of Columbia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New United States of Columbia » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:51 am

In case anyone pops over here and needs a character idea, I was thinking maybe an SS officer married to my main character’s daughter Victoria, who would play a Lady Macbeth like role in manipulating and pushing her husband to take on more work and try to climb the ranks of his department. Just a thought.
http://i.imgur.com/l5GAwrs.jpg
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:02 pm

Some brainstorming about the state of the NYC Resistance, while I'm working on my app:

The New York Resistance is a local alliance of liberal-democrats, communists, Jews, and black nationalists. Each of these groups also has a separate national organization; their cooperation is a matter of local expediency, not institutional integration. The Resistance also includes many New Yorkers who do not belong to any national resistance network, but who simply hate the Nazis.

The Resistance is highly compartmentalized. Cells include as few as seven or as many as thirty members. Each cell has a primary mission. Most work to raise money (finance teams) or acquire weapons (logistics teams). Propaganda teams work to spread the message of resistance; recruitment teams provide a point of first contact for people wishing to join the Resistance. Direct action teams work to make the streets unsafe for Nazis and collaborators: shooting police, terrorizing the Americans who staff the Reich bureaucracy. Strike teams plan higher-risk, higher-impact attacks: assassination of Reich officials, attacks on banks or armories to augment the finance and logistics teams, and so on. Notably, there are no intelligence teams; Resistance members responsible for passing information from positions inside the Reich are handled directly by an Oracle, who is their only point of contact with the larger organization.

To promote cohesion, cells tend to belong to one of the Resistance's constituent groups. A finance team, for example, might be mostly Jewish or communist; a propaganda team might be mostly liberal-democratic or black nationalist; strike teams are usually made up of veterans of the war or the American Heer. Cell members know each others' identities, since they must work together; they also choose a leader from their own number. They never interact with anyone outside their cell, except for an Oracle: a higher-ranking Resistance leader who connects each cell to Control, the top Resistance leader in New York. Oracles are often senior members of the Resistance's constituent groups: thus a mostly black nationalist cell, for example, will trust the word of a black nationalist leader as their Oracle. For this reason, many Resistance members in New York do not even know that the New York Resistance is a united front; they believe that they are simply following orders from higher up in their own organizations. When the Gestapo catches rank-and-file Resistance members, they usually assert that Control does not exist.

Cells tend to operate with a high level of autonomy, planning and executing operations on their own initiative; Control mainly uses Oracles to coordinate larger operations, distribute funds and arms, and veto cell operations that risk excessive retaliation. Oracles do not know each others' identities, or about any cell except the one for which they are responsible. They have mostly met Control, and many can describe him, but they do not know his name or business or any other information about him. Moreover, Control himself works as an Oracle in some contexts, especially when dealing with strike teams or informants within the Reich government. Thus, even the Oracles are not totally sure whether Control is actually the top man in New York, or whether he represents a kind of second-level Oracle shielding the true commander and personally handling highly sensitive operations. And many undercover agents believe that the man whom the Oracles know as Control is simply another Oracle like any other, since he is the only contact with the larger Resistance they've ever known.

This extreme compartmentalization and deliberate ambiguity have made the New York Resistance very difficult to penetrate. The Gestapo can fairly easily contact a recruitment team and get an agent assigned to a cell. They can then raid and destroy that cell. But unless they manage to capture an Oracle, they have no way of identifying any Resistance members outside that cell - and Oracles are notoriously difficult to catch, since most have survived more than a decade in the Resistance. Even if the Gestapo do capture an Oracle (as has happened four times) he or she can provide only a vague description of Control - not any information about other cells or other Oracles, about which each Oracle knows nothing. And the conflicting reports of Control's appearance, role, and even existence make captured Oracles' descriptions of him mostly useless. This is because Control is actually three men, not one; while the man once known as David Weitzman is the Resistance's overall commander, he shares his duties with two other people in order to delegate administration and mislead the Gestapo. Each Oracle has only met one Control, and believes that this man is the only leader of the New York Resistance.
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:03 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:Some brainstorming about the state of the NYC Resistance, while I'm working on my app:

The New York Resistance is a local alliance of liberal-democrats, communists, Jews, and black nationalists. Each of these groups also has a separate national organization; their cooperation is a matter of local expediency, not institutional integration. The Resistance also includes many New Yorkers who do not belong to any national resistance network, but who simply hate the Nazis.

The Resistance is highly compartmentalized. Cells include as few as seven or as many as thirty members. Each cell has a primary mission. Most work to raise money (finance teams) or acquire weapons (logistics teams). Propaganda teams work to spread the message of resistance; recruitment teams provide a point of first contact for people wishing to join the Resistance. Direct action teams work to make the streets unsafe for Nazis and collaborators: shooting police, terrorizing the Americans who staff the Reich bureaucracy. Strike teams plan higher-risk, higher-impact attacks: assassination of Reich officials, attacks on banks or armories to augment the finance and logistics teams, and so on. Notably, there are no intelligence teams; Resistance members responsible for passing information from positions inside the Reich are handled directly by an Oracle, who is their only point of contact with the larger organization.

To promote cohesion, cells tend to belong to one of the Resistance's constituent groups. A finance team, for example, might be mostly Jewish or communist; a propaganda team might be mostly liberal-democratic or black nationalist; strike teams are usually made up of veterans of the war or the American Heer. Cell members know each others' identities, since they must work together; they also choose a leader from their own number. They never interact with anyone outside their cell, except for an Oracle: a higher-ranking Resistance leader who connects each cell to Control, the top Resistance leader in New York. Oracles are often senior members of the Resistance's constituent groups: thus a mostly black nationalist cell, for example, will trust the word of a black nationalist leader as their Oracle. For this reason, many Resistance members in New York do not even know that the New York Resistance is a united front; they believe that they are simply following orders from higher up in their own organizations. When the Gestapo catches rank-and-file Resistance members, they usually assert that Control does not exist.

Cells tend to operate with a high level of autonomy, planning and executing operations on their own initiative; Control mainly uses Oracles to coordinate larger operations, distribute funds and arms, and veto cell operations that risk excessive retaliation. Oracles do not know each others' identities, or about any cell except the one for which they are responsible. They have mostly met Control, and many can describe him, but they do not know his name or business or any other information about him. Moreover, Control himself works as an Oracle in some contexts, especially when dealing with strike teams or informants within the Reich government. Thus, even the Oracles are not totally sure whether Control is actually the top man in New York, or whether he represents a kind of second-level Oracle shielding the true commander and personally handling highly sensitive operations. And many undercover agents believe that the man whom the Oracles know as Control is simply another Oracle like any other, since he is the only contact with the larger Resistance they've ever known.

This extreme compartmentalization and deliberate ambiguity have made the New York Resistance very difficult to penetrate. The Gestapo can fairly easily contact a recruitment team and get an agent assigned to a cell. They can then raid and destroy that cell. But unless they manage to capture an Oracle, they have no way of identifying any Resistance members outside that cell - and Oracles are notoriously difficult to catch, since most have survived more than a decade in the Resistance. Even if the Gestapo do capture an Oracle (as has happened four times) he or she can provide only a vague description of Control - not any information about other cells or other Oracles, about which each Oracle knows nothing. And the conflicting reports of Control's appearance, role, and even existence make captured Oracles' descriptions of him mostly useless. This is because Control is actually three men, not one; while the man once known as David Weitzman is the Resistance's overall commander, he shares his duties with two other people in order to delegate administration and mislead the Gestapo. Each Oracle has only met one Control, and believes that this man is the only leader of the New York Resistance.

So The Resistance would be a single, umbrella institution, right? If that's the case some form of a chain of command should probably be in place, with a highly disguised executive body like a council comprised of representatives of various member groups on charge. Perhaps some of it's leaders could be famous irl figures like Malcolm X or MLK who might have fled the South. Different groups could have different ways of accepting members with minority organizations such as Jewish or Black resistance cells being the hardest to infiltrate by intelligence agencies. Resistance members could also cooperate within their organizations sharing equipment and information through runners. A large degree of sectarianism could exist as well.
Last edited by Alozia on Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

PLAYER INFORMATION
Preferred NS Name: Khasinkonia
Roleplay Sample: It’s a shame this one never took off, but at least the character is getting another moment in the sun
Have you read the OP in its entirety? Yes
GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: “My name is Georgina Elisabeth Rockwell. I think you’ll find my father is a tad arrogant, hence my first name, so I’m often called Gina in private to avoid any confusion.”
Age: “I am seventeen years of age, eighteen come this next spring. A fun fact: I share my birthday with Emperor Hirohito of Japan, and the late Tsar Alexander II of the defunct Russian Empire.”
Sex: “Manifestly a woman, inside and out.”
Sexual Orientation: “I don’t suppose one ought to give this question much thought, though I will personally admit that I can appreciate the inherent beauty of both sexes, even if I am only to partake in one.”
Ethnicity: “Aryan enough to be the daughter of the American Reichsführer, I should say.”
Appearance:

“As one can clearly see, I’ve inherited my father’s striking blue eyes, shiny dark hair, which I keep terribly long, and serious face. This is a somewhat old picture, but though my face is a tad more defined, I still can’t say I inherited a strong jawline. I’m tall, like my father, though without my hair and heels, I believe he would be several inches taller than me, rather than only a miniscule increment when my hair is done up. I would say I’m rather on the thin side, so I’m careful about portion control, especially as I carry most of my weight in my lower half. I suppose it could be considered attractive, considering the Nazi emphasis on childbearing for women, though I would rather not make myself a bustle of fat in any case, since those things haven’t been in fashion during my lifetime. I keep my hands and feet perfectly manicured, and heaven forbid leaving my legs unshaven. To be very precise, my measurements are 33”, 29”, 27”, 39”, for bust, band, waist, and hips. As far as clothing goes, I tend to prefer longer dresses, but I keep up with the fashion save for how I go about my hair. I find a charm in the old-fashion, you see, so I like to wear old jewelry and do my hair anachronous to the clothes I must wear for important functions. And due to my proportions inconveniently falling on odd numbers, I should consider myself lucky that my father has the wealth to ensure access to a good tailor so that I have the luxury of a diverse wardrobe.”
Residence: “We have many different residences, which I will sometimes retreat to either with or without my parents, though I usually live in our primary suite in New York.”
Occupation: “I’m a student, of course, but I would say my primary job is to wave to the cameras and speak to the children of the nation. Of course, this means much of my schooling is somewhat independent, taking place at odd times and whenever is convenient, so I supplement it with reading whenever possible.”
Family: “Most important among my family members, I believe, is my father, though I think it should go without saying that I care for my mother too. I’m not particularly close to my two sisters, due to the gap in our ages, but I do love them, of course.”
Religion: “I suppose you could call me a High Church Atheist. I don’t want any of the sermons or readings, but a good pipe organ and choir is to die for.”
PSYCHOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Greatest fear? “I really don’t want to get much into it, but I’ll admit that I believe less of what I say at the podiums every day. I know someone out there will eventually see the cracks in my logic, because I see them too. What would they all say if the daughter of the American Reichsführer were to be revealed to not even believe in Nazism? Slavery is such a wasteful institution, and yet we have come to embrace it once more? I just can’t see how this serves much better than an enlightened monarchy or some other form of government. Perhaps like that of Japan in the 1920s or of Britain of the last century? I suppose I don’t really know what I’ve gotten into yet, but then again, I’m still trying to resist the temptation to find truly forbidden literature. Who was Karl Marx, really? What did the old regimes believe they stood for? I ask myself these questions often, and then wonder what they would all say if it came to light what I’m asking myself.”
Most intimate ambition? “I suppose I want nothing more than to know certain truths which are concealed by the Reich-approved curriculum. I remember the war that brought America into the fold of the Reich, even if it’s a faint recollection, and some things just don’t quite add up. Surely our history is more nuanced than it is made out to be?”
Loyalty? “I’d love to say the Reich, and I’d love to say my father and my mother, I really would—you must believe that this is what I truly want to say—but in my heart of hearts, I don’t really know if I would stand by them if the Reich were to crumble. If another American Revolution, a monarchist revival, or even perhaps a communist revolution were to occur, I can’t say with certainty that I wouldn’t at least want to hear their candid perspective before making my choice.”
Three defining traits: “I’m inquisitive to a fault. If I could ask every question that pops into my head without consequence, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second. I like to think I’m well-spoken and polite, very well behaved in most respects, which helps me to be the public face of the Rockwell children. Finally, I should say I’m very diligent. I take care that both my schoolwork and my other duties are prepared for and completed in advance, even if I consider it trivial.”
Personality: “I’ll admit, I’m verbose because I find it makes me just a bit more difficult to read, and makes me sound mature beyond my years and befitting of the position I find myself in. I’m not particularly important or involved in any real decisions, but a place at the microphone for the children is not to be understated in value, for I am heard by millions when it is my time to speak, so whatever I say must...be both melodious to the ear and pleasing to the powers that be, chief among those, my father.”
BIOGRAPHY
“I very faintly remember the America before the Reich. The America that surrendered. That’s actually all I remember, really. As I was born in 1944, I was only an infant when my father made the decision to join the Luftwaffe. I have vague memories of watching the American surrender broadcast and the ensuing trials and triumph broadcasts with my family, though I was only perhaps three when it all went down, so my memories are foggy at best. I didn’t understand most of it, so the best I could do was rewatch some of the tapes for educational purposes when I could. I would honestly say my early education was somewhat subpar, as we saw a high turnover in teachers, likely due to the simple fact that the entire country was in the process of being reformed in one way or another. I was educated in German from a very young age, such that I would say it’s almost a second native tongue to me sometimes.

I’ve read Mein Kampf several times over, and then great works of literature in both English and German. I do well enough in my math classes and am a fairly strong science student, if I do say so myself, although I’m weaker in the math-oriented sections of science courses. I’m a strong humanities student and I think I fare rather well when it comes to writing speeches, though it sometimes takes me a moment to get to the point—which I imagine may frustrate my father at times. I’ve been a good student, to the extent that I’ve even dabbled in Japanese and Italian lessons alike for many years now.

Now, with my father’s career, I’ve been privy to many historic meetings. Though I was not present for his first trip to Berlin, I’ve had the privilege of going to many other functions. One of my favourite memories since my father became Reichsführer is Prince Akihito’s wedding. In 1959, we had the opportunity to attend and I absolutely insisted on joining. How often does one have the opportunity to practice the Japanese language in the presence of such important figures of that nation? I must admit that it at the very least rivalled, if not outright surpassed when I met Adolf Hitler himself. There’s something mystical about royalty that the average leader, in my opinion, just can’t quite replicate, you know?

Other than that particular occasion, I would say that I’ve spent a lot of time being a good little Aryan girl who is pure of heart and mind, whatever that may entail. I suppose I ought to look into finding someone with blond hair to marry, but I can’t be bothered, what with how I’m expected to answer questions that I don’t know the answers to. And then, the Reich functions consume more time still. Not to mention my continued studies. I ought to consider university too, right? There just isn’t enough time and certainly not enough room for all of the extra things I should also be doing.”
Last edited by Khasinkonia on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:25 pm

Alozia wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:Some brainstorming about the state of the NYC Resistance, while I'm working on my app:

So The Resistance would be a single, umbrella institution, right? If that's the case some form of a chain of command should probably be in place, with a highly disguised executive body like a council comprised of representatives of various member groups on charge. Perhaps some of it's leaders could be famous irl figures like Malcolm X or MLK who might have fled the South. Different groups could have different ways of accepting members with minority organizations such as Jewish or Black resistance cells being the hardest to infiltrate by intelligence agencies. Resistance members could also cooperate within their organizations sharing equipment and information through runners. A large degree of sectarianism could exist as well.

I think we need to distinguish the American Resistance as a whole from the NYC Resistance. Your ideas seem quite plausible for the larger American resistance: various sectarian groups, with different ways of recruiting members and different levels of cooperation, and with an overall council coordinating matters. But the NYC Resistance is special, and does not operate like that at all, as I have outlined above. For this reason, I will be finishing my app based on the concept that I have outlined, and not - with all due respect - based on your suggestions.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:38 pm

Alozia wrote:This looks interesting, most of RPs like these are nation-based and lack a lot of fun so I'm glad to see someone change the formula a bit.
Glad you like the premise! I think nation-based RPs, while they certainly have their place, often miss opportunities for compelling character-driven stories, which is what I'm hoping to weave here.
Khasinkonia wrote:
PLAYER INFORMATION
Preferred NS Name: Khasinkonia
Roleplay Sample: It’s a shame this one never took off, but at least the character is getting another moment in the sun
GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: “My name is Georgina Elisabeth Rockwell. I think you’ll find my father is a tad arrogant, hence my first name, so I’m often called Gina in private to avoid any confusion.”
Age: “I am seventeen years of age, eighteen come this next spring. A fun fact: I share my birthday with Emperor Hirohito of Japan, and the late Tsar Alexander II of the defunct Russian Empire.”
Sex: “Manifestly a woman, inside and out.”
Sexual Orientation: “I don’t suppose one ought to give this question much thought, though I will personally admit that I can appreciate the inherent beauty of both sexes, even if I am only to partake in one.”
Ethnicity: “Aryan enough to be the daughter of the American Reichsführer, I should say.”
Appearance:
“As one can clearly see, I’ve inherited my father’s striking blue eyes, shiny dark hair, which I keep terribly long, and serious face. This is a somewhat old picture, but though my face is a tad more defined, I still can’t say I inherited a strong jawline. I’m tall, like my father, though without my hair and heels, I believe he would be several inches taller than me, rather than only a miniscule increment when my hair is done up. I would say I’m rather on the thin side, so I’m careful about portion control, especially as I carry most of my weight in my lower half. I suppose it could be considered attractive, considering the Nazi emphasis on childbearing for women, though I would rather not make myself a bustle of fat in any case, since those things haven’t been in fashion during my lifetime. I keep my hands and feet perfectly manicured, and heaven forbid leaving my legs unshaven. To be very precise, my measurements are 33”, 29”, 27”, 39”, for bust, band, waist, and hips. As far as clothing goes, I tend to prefer longer dresses, but I keep up with the fashion save for how I go about my hair. I find a charm in the old-fashion, you see, so I like to wear old jewelry and do my hair anachronous to the clothes I must wear for important functions. And due to my proportions inconveniently falling on odd numbers, I should consider myself lucky that my father has the wealth to ensure access to a good tailor so that I have the luxury of a diverse wardrobe.”
Residence: “We have many different residences, which I will sometimes retreat to either with or without my parents, though I usually live in our primary suite in New York.”
Occupation: “I’m a student, of course, but I would say my primary job is to wave to the cameras and speak to the children of the nation. Of course, this means much of my schooling is somewhat independent, taking place at odd times and whenever is convenient, so I supplement it with reading whenever possible.”
Family: “Most important among my family members, I believe, is my father, though I think it should go without saying that I care for my mother too. I’m not particularly close to my two sisters, due to the gap in our ages, but I do love them, of course.”
Religion: “I suppose you could call me a High Church Atheist. I don’t want any of the sermons or readings, but a good pipe organ and choir is to die for.”
Greatest fear? “I really don’t want to get much into it, but I’ll admit that I believe less of what I say at the podiums every day. I know someone out there will eventually see the cracks in my logic, because I see them too. What would they all say if the daughter of the American Reichsführer were to be revealed to not even believe in Nazism? Slavery is such a wasteful institution, and yet we have come to embrace it one more? I just can’t see how this serves much better than an enlightened monarchy or some other form of government. Perhaps like that of Japan in the 1920s or of Britain of the last century? I suppose I don’t really know what I’ve gotten into yet, but then again, I’m still trying to resist the temptation to find truly forbidden literature. Who was Karl Marx, really? What did the old regimes believe they stood for? I ask myself these questions often, and then wonder what they would all say if it came to light what I’m asking myself.”
Most intimate ambition? “I suppose I want nothing more than to know certain truths which are concealed by the Reich-approved curriculum. I remember the war that brought America into the fold of the Reich, even if it’s a faint recollection, and some things just don’t quite add up. Surely our history is more nuanced than it is made out to be?”
Loyalty? “I’d love to say the Reich, and I’d love to say my father and my mother, I really would—you must believe that this is what I truly want to say—but in my heart of hearts, I don’t really know if I would stand by them if the Reich were to crumble. If another American Revolution, a monarchist revival, or even perhaps a communist revolution were to occur, I can’t say with certainty that I wouldn’t at least want to hear their candid perspective before making my choice.”
Three defining traits: “I’m inquisitive to a fault. If I could ask every question that pops into my head without consequence, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second. I like to think I’m well-spoken and polite, very well behaved in most respects, which helps me to be the public face of the Rockwell children. Finally, I should say I’m very diligent. I take care that both my schoolwork and my other duties are prepared for and completed in advance, even if I consider it trivial.”
Personality: “I’ll admit, I’m verbose because I find it makes me just a bit more difficult to read, and makes me sound mature beyond my years and befitting of the position I find myself in. I’m not particularly important or involved in any real decisions, but a place at the microphone for the children is not to be understated in value, for I am heard by millions when it is my time to speak, so whatever I say must...be both melodious to the ear and pleasing to the powers that be, chief among those, my father.”
BIOGRAPHY
“I very faintly remember the America before the Reich. The America that surrendered. That’s actually all I remember, really. As I was born in 1944, I was only an infant when my father made the decision to join the Luftwaffe. I have vague memories of watching the American surrender broadcast and the ensuing trials and triumph broadcasts with my family, though I was only perhaps three when it all went down, so my memories are foggy at best. I didn’t understand most of it, so the best I could do was rewatch some of the tapes for educational purposes when I could. I would honestly say my early education was somewhat subpar, as we saw a high turnover in teachers, likely due to the simple fact that the entire country was in the process of being reformed in one way or another. I was educated in German from a very young age, such that I would say it’s almost a second native tongue to me sometimes.

I’ve read Mein Kampf several times over, and then great works of literature in both English and German. I do well enough in my math classes and am a fairly strong science student, if I do say so myself, although I’m weaker in the math-oriented sections of science courses. I’m a strong humanities student and I think I fare rather well when it comes to writing speeches, though it sometimes takes me a moment to get to the point—which I imagine may frustrate my father at times. I’ve been a good student, to the extent that I’ve even dabbled in Japanese and Italian lessons alike for many years now.

Now, with my father’s career, I’ve been privy to many historic meetings. Though I was not present for his first trip to Berlin, I’ve had the privilege of going to many other functions. One of my favourite memories since my father became Reichsführer is Prince Akihito’s wedding. In 1959, we had the opportunity to attend and I absolutely insisted on joining. How often does one have the opportunity to practice the Japanese language in the presence of such important figures of that nation? I must admit that it at the very least rivalled, if not outright surpassed when I met Adolf Hitler himself. There’s something mystical about royalty that the average leader, in my opinion, just can’t quite replicate, you know?

Other than that particular occasion, I would say that I’ve spent a lot of time being a good little Aryan girl who is pure of heart and mind, whatever that may entail. I suppose I ought to look into finding someone with blond hair to marry, but I can’t be bothered, what with how I’m expected to answer questions that I don’t know the answers to. And then, the Reich functions consume more time still. Not to mention my continued studies. I ought to consider university too, right? There just isn’t enough time and certainly not enough room for all of the extra things I should also be doing.”
Accepted and added to the dramatis personae.
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:17 pm

PLAYER INFORMATION
Preferred NS Name: Norv
Roleplay Sample: I believe you know me.
Have you read the OP in its entirety? Yes.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Name:
"We named him David. His Hebrew name was Mordechai: a warrior. He lived up to it in the end. David Weitzman: my sweet boy who spent all his time in the art museum. God, how I miss him."

Diary of Susannah Weitzman

"The importer on the Upper West Side? His name is Edward Clarendon. Goes by Ted. He's always got Bordeaux, cognac, cigarettes, fancy cars. I wouldn't go near him, though. He goes to dinner parties with the Rockwells. You've got to know when to leave well enough alone, boys."

Reich Customs Enforcement Service Memorandum 59-8357

"His name was Jim. That's all we knew. He had been an academic before the war, I think, or something; all the liberals trusted him implicitly. He was an Oracle - a go-between with the higher-ups, our link to the larger organization. He planned the operation. I swear to God, that's all I know. I don't know anyone called Control."

Interrogation of Patrick Clark, 11/4/1958, re. NYC Customs House bombing

"The head of Resistance operations in New York City is known as CONTROL. His age, appearance, profession, location, family, and true name are unknown and the subject of multiple conflicting reports from the few detainees who claim to have met him."

Gestapo File 61-1556

"He was born in 1906, so he'd be - God, he'd be fifty-five years old now. He was forty-one when he sent us to the Neutral Zone. I can't imagine him with grey in his hair."

"Clarendon, Edward. Age: 57. D.O.B.: 7/15/1904."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"He looked - I don't know. Forty-five? Fifty-five? Sixty-five? [unintelligible]. Stop stop - stop that - lines in his face but no wrinkles, grey in his hair but mostly dark, hairline receding but still strong - [unintelligible]. Jesus Christ I don't know how old Jim was!"

"CONTROL is known with moderate confidence to be older than forty. His exact age is unknown."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Sex:
"I try to remember him as he was, but sometimes I worry that age has brought a golden haze over all that. He seemed like the sort of man who never had trouble being a man: strong, brave, deep-voiced, broad-shouldered. He always seemed to know what to do. But perhaps that's just because I'm his mother."

"Clarendon, Edward. Sex: Male."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Yes - Jim's a man, definitely a man - I don't know if all the Oracles are men, I never met any others - God, please just stop."

"CONTROL is known with moderate confidence to be male. Reports from two detainees that CONTROL is female are believed to be attempts to mislead authorities through fantastic fabrications."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Sexual Orientation:
"I always wanted Davey to get married - I know, I know, Jewish mother. He never did, though. He had a few girlfriends in college, and I think he was truly in love with a girl at Harvard, when he was doing his graduate studies. They were together for five or six years, even after he got his degree and started teaching at Columbia, but they never married. In the end, I think she was committed to a mental institution."

"Clarendon shows no signs of sexual perversion, but has not been closely monitored; an element of speculation is unavoidable."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"God, I've already told you, yes, I'm a queer. I've already told you - what? Jim? I don't know - oh Jesus no, okay, listen, Jim was an Oracle, he didn't fraternize with guys like us either way, but [unintelligible]. Yes, God, yes, fine, sure, he was a queer, is that what you want? Yes, yes, yes."

"CONTROL's sexual preference is not known per se, but psychological profiling suggests that perversion, like most other forms of effeminacy, would be inconsistent with his effectiveness."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Ethnicity:
"I still remember my father talking about how we were not just Jews, but the right kind of Jews: Hamburg merchants who came over in the 1840s, not this Ukrainian rabble pouring into the slums of the Lower East Side. I was only supposed to marry another yekke, and so I did, and David grew up like we had: assimilated, wealthy, speaking English and not Yiddish, playing squash with Episcopalians and Presbyterians in nice uptown neighborhoods. I don't know how we could have been so arrogant; how we could have forgotten so quickly why we left Europe in the first place."

"Clarendon is of Aryan stock derived from pure Anglo-Saxon lines, as demonstrated by his skull shape (confirmed by physician), genealogical records, and intellect."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"White, yeah, definitely white, looked maybe English to me, maybe French? Not Irish, I think - [unintelligible]. Russian! Italian! Ah - ah - Jewish? Yeah, yeah, Jewish! Oh, God, Jewish. Please."

"CONTROL's obvious intellect makes clear that he cannot be a Negro. His evident combination of low cunning and wanton brutality suggest Jewish blood."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Appearance:
"David was always so handsome. I thought so, anyway, but I wasn't the only one. About average height, but with such broad shoulders and always trim around the middle - he kept himself in shape. He had my hair: dark and straight and thick - and grey eyes, like my father. When he was a professor, he grew a short beard, but they made him shave it when he went to the Army. If he's alive now, I expect he'll have grey in his hair. Oh, I hope I get to see him go grey."

"Clarendon, Edward: Height: 5'11''. Weight: 177 lbs. Hair color: brown; side-part and short beard. Eye color: grey. Build: athletic. Race: Aryan. Typically dresses in tailored suits in the English style. Uses a cane to walk."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Oh thank you. Thank you. Yeah. Like I said, anywhere between forty-five and sixty-five, face more lined than wrinkled, like he'd spent a lot of time outdoors, you know? Dark brown hair, receding hairline, a lot of grey in it, beard cut close to the jaw. Eyes? Grey - ah, fuck, beautiful eyes I thought, why hide anything now? But cold. Jim had a battered leather coat, and he always wore a tie - I thought that was odd. Not a big guy, not obviously, but built, you know? Not like a laborer - like a boxer, I think. Plenty of muscle, but none of it wasted."

"CONTROL's exact appearance is unknown. Captured 'Oracles' - conduits between Resistance cells and leadership - report that he has red hair, or dark hair; two report that CONTROL is actually a woman. Psychological profiling indicating Jewish blood is likely most reliable indicia of appearance."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Residence:
"I begged and pleaded with Davey - oh, how I begged, like I was begging for my life - for him to come with us to the Neutral Zone. He had arranged our passage, after all, Sam and Esther and me. But he wouldn't go. He's always been so - beyond stubborn - unmovable. That vast silent strength that not even he could express or explain. If he's still alive, I'm sure he's still in New York. Somewhere."

"Clarendon, Edward. Address: Apt. A-21, the Apthorp, 2201 Broadway."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Oh, please. Please. I don't know Jim's address. Only our cell leader even knew how to contact him. And then Jim told us where to be for him to meet us, and half the time he didn't even show up anyway. Please. You gotta believe me. I don't know."

"CONTROL's address is unknown, though the evident efficiency with which he communicates with 'Oracles' suggests a residence somewhere within the city of New York."

Gestapo File 61-1556

"David was a student for a long time: years and years, until he was twenty-eight years old. So long that we worried about him. Then he taught philosophy at Columbia for seven years. After Pearl Harbor, he went to a lawyer friend - a Mr. Donovan - and he helped organize the OSS. I don't know what happened after that exactly - he was in Burma for a time, I think, and then Norway. After the bomb, in '45, he made it back to New York a few weeks ahead of the invasion, and helped to organize the RAA - some kind of OSS fallback plan, called Operation Gladio. After that collapsed too, he sent us to the Rockies, and I don't know what he's done since. All I can do is pray he's still alive."

"Now remember: Clarendon is licensed to import products both from inside and from outside the territory of the Greater German Reich. That means wine, brandy, fancy cars, cigars, nice suits, silk stockings - he gets to handle all of that. We know Clarendon probably goes beyond that. But he's a low enforcement priority, and he has powerful friends: half the Reich government goes to him for one reason or another. Don't touch him, or we'll have the SS breathing down our necks."

"I have no idea. Jim had some money, at least enough for food and medicine, because he seemed healthy. And he gave me the feeling that he'd been rich at some time - but I think that was probably before the war. He definitely didn't dress like he had money now."

"CONTROL's occupation is unknown. It is likely that his employment is seasonal or temporary, allowing him to minimize his tax documentation. Recommend investigation of handymen, contractors, accountants, etc."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Family:
"He has so few people left. Sam and me - his parents - he sent us to the Rockies in '47, with his sister Esther, when the RAA fell apart. He told us that we would not be able to contact him, that we'd never know where he was or what he was doing, but if freedom ever came he'd meet us at noon in front of our old house uptown. I am so old, now, but I am still waiting. After almost fifteen years, I am still waiting. And David has no one else: no wife, no children. He must be so alone."

"Clarendon, Edward. Unmarried, no known offspring. Next of kin: Clarendon, Matilda, mother, of Braintree, MA. (Note: identity not confirmed)."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Family? No, Jim never mentioned any family. I don't think he was wearing a wedding ring - no, stop, wait, all right, I looked, I know. He wasn't wearing a ring."

"CONTROL's family situation is unknown. It is unlikely that he has allowed any family to remain in New York City. His persistence suggests potential connection to a family member who was made subject to the justice of the Reich."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Religion:
"David believed in God. I do know that, I think, and it gives me some comfort - because then he can't have been quite so alone after all. He wasn't Orthodox, or anything like that. I'm not sure how much he read the Bible, or said the prayers, but it was probably more than Sam and I did. But when he prayed, he meant it. To him, God really was 'Melech Ha'Olam' - king of the universe. God would bring all things right. All David had to do was hold on, and help it happen."

"Clarendon's attendance at Reich Church services is consistent and voluntary, and he has repeatedly contributed funds to church-related charities."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Jim wasn't Catholic, that's for damn sure. He seemed like one of those old-school Protestants, Episcopalian or Presbyterian or Dutch Reformed or something. One of those churches with a lot of money and a lot of Presidents. You can tell when a guy's never been told to say a Hail Mary."

"CONTROL's religion, consistent with the rest of his psychological profile, is likely to be Jewish."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Greatest fear?
"David was never afraid to die. How that terrified me, as his mother - how could he hold his life so lightly when it mattered more than anything to me? But now I think it comforts me. What he feared most was losing whatever it was that gave him the strength to go on: some combination of God, and country, and steady confidence in the right. A truth beyond philosophy, he called it, back when he was a professor of exactly that. Something worth dying for. As long as he held on to that truth, I'm not sure anything could really scare him. If he is dead, then I can know that at the last, he was not afraid. There is some comfort in that."

"Clarendon walks with a cane due to injuries sustained in a boating accident, and has since evinced a deep-seated fear of boats."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"I can say with some confidence that Control will never allow himself to be taken alive. He may, in fact, never even risk being taken alive. He has sacrificed everything for the Cause. He has no family left, no friends, no one with whom to share his secrets, no one to hold him close, no one to mourn him. His only relationships are with the Nazis upon who he spies, and with a few Resistance comrades who do not even know his name. A man more lonely, more crushed by responsibility and fear, I cannot imagine. All he has left is the Cause. He will never risk losing it. I suspect it is not the fear of torture that makes Control keep a cyanide pill in a fake tooth. It is the fear that he might break, and lose the one piece of himself he has left."

James Baldwin, Report to Central Committee of the American Resistance on New York Situation

"CONTROL, like most other Resistance leaders, is likely to fear capture and may go to great lengths to avoid it."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Most intimate ambition?
"Before he sent us to the Rockies, Davey told us that if we all survived, and freedom came back, he'd meet us in front of our old house uptown. He told us that there would be a life for us on the far side of this: a quiet life, a life with no guns. He'd move us all into his home and make breakfast every morning, and teach Esther's kids to play chess, and spend his afternoons in the park reading Sartre and feeding the pigeons. And we'd all grow old together. How my heart breaks to think of it."

"Clarendon's motivations appear to be as simple as most other American nouveaux-riches: he wants to be wealthy, and respected, and to have powerful friends who can keep him safe. Should leverage be required, a threat to his prosperity or social position would likely secure his compliance."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"This is why Control is so effective: he wants, above all else, to win. He does not want to be wealthy or powerful or popular or respected. He does not want to be good or gentle or merciful or moral; he does not want to feel superior; he does not even want to go to heaven. He does not want to be happy; he does not want to be loved; he does not want to be remembered when he is gone. He wants to win, and only to win, no matter the cost to his body or his soul or his country. He does not even care who runs the country after the Nazis are defeated, so long as life becomes livable again. He is unburdened by ego, ideology, friendship, or mercy. His whole life has but a single purpose: the destruction of the American Reich."

James Baldwin, Report to Central Committee of the American Resistance on New York Situation

"CONTROL's systematic policy of terrorism toward Reich police and functionaries suggests a fundamental motivation of personal revenge, not broader degenerate ideology or self-preservation. He hates the German people and all that they have built, and wishes to tear down the Reich to satisfy his own anguish at having been defeated. Unlike other Resistance leaders, such a man cannot be bought off or marginalized. He must be hunted down and destroyed."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Loyalty?
"David once told me that the one thing to keep your eye on was doing what was right. That didn't mean what was easy - what was popular - what was practical. It also didn't mean doing what was good: sometimes doing a purely good act was exactly the wrong thing to do, because you would hurt people if you tried to be a better man than the times required. It didn't mean doing what felt like the right thing, either; it didn't mean keeping your hands clean. It meant seeing quite clearly what the greatest evil before you was, and doing whatever was necessary to stop it. That's where David's heart has always lived, where his deepest loyalty lay: with doing the right thing. I would do anything for my boy, anything. But he would not do the same for me; he had a higher loyalty. In the end, that's why he wouldn't come to the Rockies with us, no matter how I begged; David was willing to cut his entire family out of his life rather than compromise that higher calling."

"Clarendon's loyalty is not seriously in doubt; the Reich has been good to him, and his fortunes are directly bound to the success of the Reich's government, whose officials constitute most of his customers. His occasional avoidance of customs regulations is a matter of venal self-interest, not of political perversion."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"In my view, any attempt by the Central Committee to exert greater control over the New York organization would be counterproductive. Control is cautious about even existing contacts to the larger nationwide Resistance, because he cannot compartmentalize our access to information in the way that he does within his own organization; he sees us as a security risk. Moreover, unlike the resistance organizations represented on the Central Committee, the New York Resistance is a heterogenous umbrella group, in which cells may be communist or black or Jewish, but the organization as a whole is not. For us to extend our influence risks enflaming sectarian tensions within Control's organization. He is loyal to the Committee, at least in an abstract sense, and he accepts that it will serve as America's transitional government if we at last succeed. But in return for his loyalty, he expects us to leave him alone and let him do his job. At least for now, I suggest we comply."

"CONTROL may not be affiliated with the so-called 'Central Committee' of the Resistance; at the very least, he does not take direct orders from the Committee and he shares very little information with it. Our sources with access to the Committee have not provided usable intelligence on Control or his New York organization."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Three defining traits:
"It's a strange and awful thing to know that the boy you washed and dressed and taught to ride a bike has turned into a hero. No mother should have to watch her son take up that kind of burden. He was so strong, and so brave, and so utterly sad - that day we said goodbye. I loved him, and pitied him, and understood that he belonged to history now, and not to me any more. Not ever."

"Ultimately, despite his unusual level of access, Clarendon cannot be taken seriously as a security threat. He is a nonentity: bright, pleasant, and weak."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"I do not believe this man will long outlive the Reich he seeks to destroy. Control is so perfectly fitted to the present moment that its end, somehow, would seem to entail his own. He is too brilliant, too brutal, too lonely to bear the return of peace. To become human again would destroy him."

"CONTROL's psychological profile can be assessed only by reference to his evident choices as leader of the Resistance in New York. His resistance to capture or even identification suggests profound paranoia; his proclivity for terrorist tactics suggests sadism, or at the least a pathological lack of empathy; his refusal to surrender after more than a decade suggests delusional or magical thinking, a disconnect with reality that does not appear to impede his effectiveness."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Personality:
"David was hard to know. From his teenage years on, I would see him in different contexts, with different people, and he would seem almost like a different man. He could be funny, eloquent, inspiring, infuriating - but never quite open. I did know him - I have to believe that - but even so I'm not sure I understood him. Beneath all the faces he could wear, there was something true and warm and wise, but he never quite knew how to speak it or share it. It was a fire that warmed him alone. I wish someone - anyone - had found a way to know him better."

"Clarendon possesses the capacity for manipulation, but only at the level of a car salesman. He can be ingratiating, seductive, highly persuasive; but he is more merely beguiling than genuinely charismatic."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"No man I've ever met has been so lonely, for so long, with such silent endurance. His every waking moment is a prison of silent, solitary fear. God willing, he may yet win this war for us - and then, God willing, the world will let him die and be free at last."

"CONTROL cannot possibly be entirely sane, after being hunted continuously for fourteen years by the Reich's finest. What makes him so dangerous is precisely that his madness does not appear to make him less effective; quite the contrary. Whatever his psychosis, he has turned it into a weapon; it is not a weakness, but a strength."

Gestapo File 61-1556

BIOGRAPHY
"In the end, I think we did the best we could for David. If he never quite seemed happy, it was something within him that was the cause, some distant summons that only he could hear. We couldn't understand that, or change it. But he had a good childhood: Sam was one of the highest-paid surgeons in New York, I was a fairly successful writer, and we gave Davey a lovely brownstone on the Upper West Side to grow up in. We paid his tuition at a nice private school, where he sat through chapel with all the Episcopalians. He spent summers at camp in Vermont, canoeing and woodworking and birdwatching. He rode ponies in the park and went to the Met every weekend to stare at the art and think: always a thoughtful child, always with some silent passion locked away behind his eyes. During the first war, when he was twelve, David volunteered to collect pocket change from the neighborhood children to buy war bonds. During the pandemic, he helped Sam in the field hospital, carrying food and bedpans. That was when we knew we'd raised him right: that privilege had not rotted his soul. But it was also the first time I began to fear for him, because what kind of child seems happier in a field hospital than playing with his friends?

"As he got older he had lots of - I suppose they were friends, because Davey spent afternoons with them, but the word didn't quite fit. Maybe it was because when he was with his friends, I almost didn't recognize David; everything about him was just a tiny, precise measure different. It was the same when he was at Hebrew school, and during his Bar Mitzvah: this strange, precocious gravity, the hushed solemnity of the central-casting pious Jew. He seemed most himself when he was alone: when he made his weekly pilgrimage to the Met. Once, I saw him reading Kierkegaard in the park, the summer before he left for college. He was tucked away on a bench by the pond, where he didn't know anyone could see. I saw him look up from the book, and hold his head in one hand, and sob.

"He was cheerful, engaged, kind and helpful around the house, popular at school. But I could never shake the image of him crying in the park with that book.

"David went to college at Harvard, like Sam had before him. We saw him pretty often, even so, and he wrote to us regularly and thoughtfully. He studied philosophy, and learned French and German and Russian and Greek and Latin and Hebrew; he was amazing with languages, dazzling. He joined the boxing team, which shocked and scared me, but he never got seriously hurt. From his letters, it even sounded like he mostly won. He alluded to a few girlfriends, but never brought any of them home; I just assumed that was because he was fooling around with shiksas. I don't think he drank his way through school, like all those other students in the '20s who were imitating This Side of Paradise. If anything, he seemed to me to get more and more serious every time he came home over the summers. I wasn't surprised when David was accepted to Harvard's Ph.D. program in philosophy, instead of going to law school or medical school like Sam wanted. When we talked about it, he was as open as I ever saw him. He said that he felt like some great truth was out there, blinding in its simplicity, that would tell him everything he needed to know for his life and death to matter. How could he fail to pursue it?

"We saw David a little less after that. He was building a life in Boston: a tidy apartment, tutoring professors' children to augment his graduate assistant's stipend, a little garden, a brand-new beard that made me laugh when I saw it for the first time. I think of those as the years of Hannah: she was his girlfriend, though he never brought her back to New York and I only saw her when I went up to Boston to visit. They were together for five or six years - his last two years of graduate school, and three or four more after that. At first, I asked why they didn't just get married; then I stopped asking, because it was such a strange situation that I didn't really want to know the answer. She was a quiet girl, very quiet, with huge dark eyes. I thought she seemed very sad: sad like the Great War veterans who worked with Sam at the hospital. There was that same silence in her. Once, David got a phone call from Hannah when he was visiting us, and he left and drove up to Boston less than two minutes after hanging up. He never told us why.

"David wrote his Ph.D. thesis on the connections between Kierkegaard and a little-known Austrian Jewish philosopher named Martin Buber. I have read it five times now, and I'm still not totally sure what it means. It is about encountering the world as it is and not as you would like it to be, allowing it to change you and eventually unmake you, and yet refusing to despair - because despair is the only unforgivable sin, the ultimate lie. It got David a junior professorship at Columbia after he graduated, and he moved home; Hannah stayed in Boston. In the end, I think she was committed to a mental institution; David took two weeks off from teaching, and vanished up to Boston, and came back silent and exhausted to stay in his childhood bed for a while. I knew, after that, that he would never marry; somehow, I knew.

"But he still seemed happy, at least in a quiet, calm way. His students adored him, and he clearly loved teaching; he won the university's teaching award twice in seven years. In the '30s, as Hitler amassed his power, David gave speeches against isolationism with a friend he made in Washington - Mr. MacLeish, the Librarian of Congress. In his spare time, Davey worked with our local synagogue and other Jewish groups to sponsor refugees from Europe. When Esther got married and had the twins, David was thrilled; he came over two or three times a week to sit and watch the babies, and I had never seen such pure joy on his face. He promised Esther that when they got old enough, he'd teach them to play chess.

"And then the war came: Pearl Harbor, the utter destruction of our Pacific Fleet. And suddenly, David's whole social circle vanished: him and MacLeish and their lawyer friend Bill Donovan, all the pro-intervention intellectual elite of New York. We later learned that Wilkie had told them to create an agency tasked with spywork and sabotage: the OSS. I saw David once during the war, in '43, when he was home on leave. He was exhausted and frightened. I asked him what was happening, and he stared at me for a long moment. Then a terrible peace loosened his shoulders, and he told me to make a plan to flee the city in case the worst happened.

"I saw him next in late '45. We had fled the invasion to an RAA-controlled enclave in southern Ohio. Somehow, David tracked us down. He told us that the fight was only just beginning, and gave us ten thousand dollars in cash to buy food. And he told us to burn anything that could identify us as Jews. He was harder now, much harder. I asked him how many men he had killed. He smiled with just one side of his mouth, and said: "Evidently, not enough." I was angry about that. I didn't know I'd only ever see him once more.

"I saw my son for the last time in '47, after the massacre at Cincinnati. David found us hiding in a farmhouse in northern Kentucky. He gave us more money, and the name of a man in Lexington who could get us out to the Neutral Zone. He told us that he was not coming; that he could not tell us where he would be or how to contact him; that he could not risk ever contacting us, either, because the Nazis might be watching him. I knew what he meant: he was saying goodbye. I begged and pleaded and wept and raged, but he would not change his mind. He could not change it - he said that, and after all these years, I think I finally believe him. In the end, he told us that when freedom came, if any of us escaped the camps, we would meet at our old house in New York. He would wait for us there every day, David said, no matter how long it took. I cried and cried and held him in my arms, and suddenly he cried too, a great heartbroken flood. Then Davey kissed Esther's children on the forehead, and said very softly: 'This is the last time I shall weep.'

"I never saw him again."

TOP SECRET, OSS EYES ONLY, DO NOT RELEASE TO WAR DEPT.

Weitzman, David Henry: founding OSS officer personally recruited by Director Donovan. Directly commissioned as major, trained in Canada by British SOE.

Parachuted into Fort Hertz, northern Burma, 5/21/1942. Recruited local hill tribes to fight as Kachin Rangers, screening advance of Chinese and Indian forces. Contracted and survived yellow fever and dysentery; wounded in action and subsequently contracted dengue fever, and evacuated. Returned to duty after 5 weeks' medical recovery in Calcutta, over the objections of British physicians.

Parachuted into Kauai Island, Hawaii, 12/15/1942, and led OSS sabotage team assigned to destroy Japanese logistics and airfields. Succeeded in crippling local Japanese air defenses ahead of US invasion, but captured and tortured for two weeks before liberated by US troops, 3/12/1943. Fought on frontlines against Japanese counterinvasion, and evacuated with rest of US troops in final retreat from Hawaii in May 1943.

Returned to duty after two weeks' leave to visit family, and then parachuted into France, 6/20/1943, to coordinate French Resistance attacks on German naval infrastructure in Brittany. Despite pressure from OSS Command for an immediate sabotage operation, spent four months cultivating network of agents inside Brest dockyards, feeding each of them mutually inconsistent stories about their objective in case of capture. Successfully sabotaged five U-boats, though all agents inside dockyard were captured or killed.

Extracted by submarine and parachuted into Norway, 1/18/1944, assigned to coordinate with Norwegian resistance and investigate reports of German uranium enrichment. Lost two toes to frostbite during eight-day cross-country ski approach march in dead of winter. Personally infiltrated facility using SS uniform and forged documents. Confirmed enrichment program and presence of Dr. Heisenberg. Blew his cover attempting to sabotage facility, shot twice in ensuing gunfight, rescued by Norwegian resistance and evacuated by submarine.

Upon return to U.S., emphasized necessity of contingency planning for Axis invasion in debrief with Director Donovan and General Marshall. Assigned 7/21/1944 as deputy director, Operation Gladio: preparation for domestic resistance in case of Axis invasion. Coordinated creation of weapons caches and militia training programs in all 48 states; identified and groomed local leaders for resistance to occupation; supervised stockpile of $1.2 million cash for postinvasion bribes and black market transactions. Took extreme precautions to ensure that his role in the program was not public knowledge or identified in War Dept. documents; communicated with local partners only through intermediaries.

Returned to New York shortly after nuclear bombing of Washington, 12/24/1945, and assisted in coordinating civilian evacuation (including of close family) ahead of German advance. Expressed intention to rally forces in Vermont, and then Kentucky and Ohio, as part of Rebel American Army armed and trained by Operation Gladio. Record ends 2/15/1946, pursuant to OSS Order 46-111 (Termination of Compromising Records in Case of Invasion).

OSS File 46-1197

"Clarendon, Edward. Born 7/15/1904 in Braintree, MA, to an Anglo-Saxon family descended from early Puritan settlers. Attended Harvard University, Class of 1926; graduated with degree in economics (official university records destroyed by subversive faculty in 1949). Moved to California and established successful import/export business; all records held by Japanese Pacific States; document request issued 4/12/1953 remains pending. Married 1929 (date unknown); divorced 1931, likely due to business difficulties. Active in California conservative politics in opposition to organized labor, and funded strike-breakers in 1937. Member in good standing of America First Committee. All records cease in early 1945, but interviews with Clarendon indicate that he fled California for Reich-controlled territory in order to avoid Japanese rule, taking his entire life savings with him in cash. Arrived in New York City 5/18/1952, and established a new import-export business with half-million pre-war US dollars in cash. Acquired relevant licenses with remarkable speed. Has since established close social and business ties with Party, military, and administrative officials; sterling reputation for efficiency and discretion. Bank statements reveal net worth of $781,290. Suspected of customs violations, but officially listed as low enforcement priority."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Control has exercised the utmost discretion in concealing his personal background and true identity. Not even his closest associates know what name his mother gave him, nor exactly how old he is. He has a well-established cover identity in New York City, but has refused to disclose it even to the Central Committee. As a result, only the general outlines of his life can be inferred even by a member of his own organization. Some of my conclusions are more in the realm of wager than of conclusion.

"He seems likely to be a native of New York, based on his intimate knowledge of the city. He is clearly well-educated, indeed classically educated, and speaks at least French and Latin if not other languages. He almost certainly served in the armed forces during the war, most likely in some capacity relating to intelligence. He was with the RAA, perhaps in Ohio, before V-A Day, since he did not arrive in New York until early 1948. The sharp uptick in Resistance activity observed in New York in 1948 and 1949 suggests that he arrived with immediate access to funds, weapons, or both. Perhaps more importantly, he must have been aware of the identity of almost every potential Resistance leader in the city, since he managed to build a coalition of communist, black-nationalist, Jewish, and liberal-democratic leaders - the current Oracles of the organization - each of whom had previously led a separate Resistance cell. To the best of my knowledge, however, no Oracle had ever met Control before he arrived in New York. They identify his access to capital, knowledge of weapons caches, and obvious competence and commitment as reasons for trusting him, and for accepting the strictly compartmentalized structure that he designed and implemented.

"During Control's tenure, the New York Resistance has successfully bombed and completely destroyed seven police stations, three courthouses, two radio stations, a war memorial, a military barracks, a bar frequented by SS officers, and the New York Customs House. It has robbed five banks, three armories, one train, and more than a dozen armored cars. It has assassinated a general, three deputy ministers, a Reich Church bishop, eight significant Reich media figures, eleven judges, and dozens if not hundreds of ordinary police, soldiers, and SS. It has, by Control's estimation, suffered the complete loss of thirty-one cells and the death of more than eight hundred members over the course of fourteen years; nevertheless, the total number of cells has increased every year but 1956, despite (or perhaps because of) mass reprisals that have killed nine thousand New Yorkers since 1948. Control has achieved this in the most heavily policed city in North America. I have no way of knowing how many of these operations Control directly planned, but it is likely that he was personally involved in at least approving every operation that risked a mass reprisal. More importantly, his organizational structure is what has allowed the Resistance to survive under exceedingly risky conditions.

"I understand the reluctance of the Committee to trust a man whose name, age, origin, and background are entirely unknown to them. But I would offer the thought that it is perhaps precisely because so little is known of Control that we should trust him. The name his mother gave him has no relevance to him any longer, and realistically, it is equally irrelevant to us. What matters - the only thing that matters - is what he does. And so for our purposes, we know all that we need to know. This man fights, and he fights to win."

"CONTROL's background is entirely unknown, and can be discerned only through psychological profiling, which is necessarily an imprecise tool. Nevertheless, certain conclusions are warrantable. CONTROL's pathological contempt for order and discipline suggest an origin amid conditions of decadence and individual license; he is likely the child either of privilege, or of extreme poverty, but not of workers. His evident ability to organize disparate factions may reflect past experience with the socialist labor unions of the 1920s and 1930s. He almost certainly served in the American Army during the war, perhaps even in a special-operations or intelligence capacity, and may have been severely wounded or suffered the loss of a close friend; this would explain his unreasoning desire for revenge. His arrival in New York City likely coincides with the sharp uptick in violence in early 1948, and this implies that he must have been elsewhere until that time, presumably fighting with the Rebel American Army. At least one captured 'Oracle' has stated that CONTROL has or had independent access to funds and arms, which may indicate an organized crime connection; this has not been confirmed. No further conclusions as to CONTROL's personal history can be regarded as warranted."

Gestapo File 61-1556
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The Imperial Warglorian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 10, 2015

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:24 am

Tag, exactly how much of Man in the High Castle canon is gonna be in play here? Any Nebelwelt project? Grasshopper Lies Heavy tapes? Etc?
Call me Warg or Antic
Yeah, u do that and I’m gonna have to force u to pull a France, and then a Vichy-Wargloria, after one of his allies proposed pulling an Italy

PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES!

Powerbroker

WIP

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:07 am

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist
PLAYER INFORMATION
Preferred NS Name: The Imperial Warglorian Empire
Roleplay Sample: Fairly recent too, lucky
Have you read the OP in its entirety? Yep
GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: "My name is John Smith, but please, call me John."
Sex: "Well, I have a beautiful wife, so I assume male."
Sexual Orientation: "As straight as they come: I could tell you otherwise, but then i'd have to kill you, wouldn't I?"
Ethnicity: "I may not have the blondest of hair or the bluest of eyes, but I assure you I'm as Aryan as any other man or woman. "
Appearance:

"I admit, the family life's got me a bit round down there, but rest assured I can run as fast as any rascal, son or escaped Jew. I like to think I've kept myself in shape, fairly broad figure despite the light stretching of the old belt. Luckily, my hair's still the same black it's been for years, which is an absolute miracle considering what I've had to do. I measure out at a fairly decent six feet in height, which I've heard is a good Aryan height so lucky me I guess."
Residence: "Heh, my wife would tell me I'm married to my work, always in that office of mine up in the SS-HQ at New York. But, when I'm lucky enough for some time off, I get to go back to my lovely family in this quaint little suburban neighbourhood, real honest to God classic American home...you want a specific address? Well, I mean no disrespect when I say that's none of your concern...any reason for such vested interest? Oh, no, no reason, just making sure everything is alright. Someone, get me a file on that guy..."
Occupation: "I have the privilege of serving as Obergruppenführer, specifically in the American Waffen SS, though the rank itself generally lends further influence across the other subdivisions of the SS. Don't tell the others but for all intents and purpose I run New York City, though "Mayor Smith" doesn't quite sound as flashy, does it?"
Family: "I have my absolutely beautiful wife, Helen, makes some of the best apple pies in the entire Reich, I'll bring you some. We were lucky to be blessed with three children: two daughters, Amy and Jennifer, and one absolutely healthy and strapping young lad, Thomas."
"Dad! Cut it out!"
"Oh, you bet your running legs it's true!"
Religion: "I never really believed in the big man upstairs, not since the Great Depression. If there really is a God up there, it'd be even sadder to know he hates us so much. Also, never a big fan of that whole 'pre-destined' gobbledygook: fate is fluid after all, and I'm not letting any self-declared God tell me what I will and will not do."
Greatest fear? "Well, I am first and foremost a family man I suppose, as any other good Aryan would tell you. If anything were to happen to 'em, I don't know what I'd do...Actually, that's a lie, I most definitely know what I would do. Speaking of which, how's your daughter? Did she get those flowers I got her? Petunias if I remember carefully, I heard they're her favourite..."
Most intimate ambition?
Loyalty?
Three defining traits:
Personality: Any other quirks yet to be mentioned.
BIOGRAPHY
Insert biography.
Last edited by The Imperial Warglorian Empire on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Call me Warg or Antic
Yeah, u do that and I’m gonna have to force u to pull a France, and then a Vichy-Wargloria, after one of his allies proposed pulling an Italy

New United States of Columbia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New United States of Columbia » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:52 am

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:Tag, exactly how much of Man in the High Castle canon is gonna be in play here? Any Nebelwelt project? Grasshopper Lies Heavy tapes? Etc?

Dunno if there’ll be tapes but there will be “Alt-history” novels showing a world where the Allies or Comintern won.
http://i.imgur.com/l5GAwrs.jpg
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:30 am

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:I'm sorry, I couldn't resist
PLAYER INFORMATION
Preferred NS Name: The Imperial Warglorian Empire
Roleplay Sample: Fairly recent too, lucky
Have you read the OP in its entirety? Yep
GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: "My name is John Smith, but please, call me John."
Sex: "Well, I have a beautiful wife, so I assume male."
Sexual Orientation: "As straight as they come: I could tell you otherwise, but then i'd have to kill you, wouldn't I?"
Ethnicity: "I may not have the blondest of hair or the bluest of eyes, but I assure you I'm as Aryan as any other man or woman. "
Appearance:

"I admit, the family life's got me a bit round down there, but rest assured I can run as fast as any rascal, son or escaped Jew. I like to think I've kept myself in shape, fairly broad figure despite the light stretching of the old belt. Luckily, my hair's still the same black it's been for years, which is an absolute miracle considering what I've had to do. I measure out at a fairly decent six feet in height, which I've heard is a good Aryan height so lucky me I guess."
Residence: "Heh, my wife would tell me I'm married to my work, always in that office of mine up in the SS-HQ at New York. But, when I'm lucky enough for some time off, I get to go back to my lovely family in this quaint little suburban neighbourhood, real honest to God classic American home...you want a specific address? Well, I mean no disrespect when I say that's none of your concern...any reason for such vested interest? Oh, no, no reason, just making sure everything is alright. Someone, get me a file on that guy..."
Occupation: "I have the privilege of serving as Obergruppenführer, specifically in the American Waffen SS, though the rank itself generally lends further influence across the other subdivisions of the SS. Don't tell the others but for all intents and purpose I run New York City, though "Mayor Smith" doesn't quite sound as flashy, does it?"
Family: "I have my absolutely beautiful wife, Helen, makes some of the best apple pies in the entire Reich, I'll bring you some. We were lucky to be blessed with three children: two daughters, Amy and Jennifer, and one absolutely healthy and strapping young lad, Thomas."
"Dad! Cut it out!"
"Oh, you bet your running legs it's true!"
Religion: "I never really believed in the big man upstairs, not since the Great Depression. If there really is a God up there, it'd be even sadder to know he hates us so much. Also, never a big fan of that whole 'pre-destined' gobbledygook: fate is fluid after all, and I'm not letting any self-declared God tell me what I will and will not do."
Greatest fear? "Well, I am first and foremost a family man I suppose, as any other good Aryan would tell you. If anything were to happen to 'em, I don't know what I'd do...Actually, that's a lie, I most definitely know what I would do. Speaking of which, how's your daughter? Did she get those flowers I got her? Petunias if I remember carefully, I heard they're her favourite..."
Most intimate ambition?
Loyalty?
Three defining traits:
Personality: Any other quirks yet to be mentioned.
BIOGRAPHY
Insert biography.
Based especially on the RP sample you linked, I'm very reticent to trust you with a role in this very sensitive thread. This roleplay isn't a venue for anyone to fetishize Nazis, and I'm not going to take any chances when it comes to that.

However, for future reference to anyone else who wishes to apply:
1) Chances of being accepted will be much higher if you don't port someone from the television series directly into this thread. I would prefer that you either (a) make a truly original character or (b) use a historical person. For example, if you were inspired by the television series' depiction of Herbert Hoover, and wanted to play him (as Sarderia is already planning to do), I'd be fine with that. But I won't be accepting any Joe Blakes or John Smiths or Juliana Cranes.

2) Die Nebenwelt and the concept of hopping between universes won't be mentioned or explored in this roleplay, probably the most significant deviation from the Man in the High Castle source material. This isn't a science fiction roleplay; the point is to focus on politicking, treachery, revolution, etc.

3) Banned books similar to The Grasshopper Lies Heavy would absolutely exist and be quite sensational amongst large segments of the American Reich population.

If there are any more questions, y'all are welcome to ask here or join the Discord, where I'll be much swifter in responding.

The Wanderer

Powerbroker

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Sigh, should’ve expected this from Norv.

I’m sorry it didn’t work out chaps, I’ll say “Ausf Wirdersehen,” as I do hope we meet each other again under more amicable circumstances.

Bye!

And one last thing, I’m happy to see someone take a “hard stance” on Nazism in terms of an RP, but if you’re going to hold people to that kind of standard? In an Alternate WW2 RP? With no chance to defend them selves whatsoever? Oh man, I fear.
Last edited by The Imperial Warglorian Empire on Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Warg or Antic

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:56 pm

Looks great. Need any help world building? Any type of character especially needed?
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:00 pm

I’m interested!
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:13 pm

Sanabel wrote:Looks great. Need any help world building? Any type of character especially needed?

Meelducan wrote:I’m interested!
Good to see you folks!

Positions that need to be filled, in terms of big power players: Commander of the SS in America, Chief of the American Generals Staff, or Minister of Justice/Economics/Defense/etc. The Japanese ambassador could also play a big part.

If you prefer a more ground-level character: A resistance fighter, or especially a Gestapo/Kripo/SD detective, would be good to see.

The Wanderer

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:23 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:
Sanabel wrote:Looks great. Need any help world building? Any type of character especially needed?

Meelducan wrote:I’m interested!
Good to see you folks!

Positions that need to be filled, in terms of big power players: Commander of the SS in America, Chief of the American Generals Staff, or Minister of Justice/Economics/Defense/etc. The Japanese ambassador could also play a big part.

If you prefer a more ground-level character: A resistance fighter, or especially a Gestapo/Kripo/SD detective, would be good to see.

Ok. I’m going to work on my Iranian ambassador and then go from there- these are all good ideas.
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Bingellia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Bingellia » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:26 pm

Have a WIP application

PLAYER INFORMATION
Preferred NS Name:
Roleplay Sample: A link directly to a post which showcases formatting, proper spelling and grammar, and decent skill at character writing. Links to topics at large will not be considered.
GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: “I am Anton Dahlgren. Family papers after the liberation and my membership records will confirm that, though there may be some old church records in Illinois that still read Anthony Dahlgren.”
Age: “I’ve just turned 26, and I spent it on-duty filing paperwork because a few heer men couldn’t keep their mouths shut around us the day before.”
Sex: “I’m in the SS, I’ve had more than enough doctors examine what’s in my pants.
Sexual Orientation: “There may be a few degenerates who weaseled their way into the ranks of the SS, but I can assure you I’m not one of them. Any names I know have also been reported already, like Jonathan Karl, so I’m of no use in that regard.”
Ethnicity: “Swedish, and almost certainly more nordic than you.”
Appearance: I’m 186 centimeters and 82 kilos, needless to say I’m physically impressive. I also have a faint dueling just next to my lip, and a far more noticeable one along the inside of my right arm.
Residence: “I have a lovely home in Victory Hill, though the company headquarters may be more apt some days.”
Occupation: Hauptsturmführer in the Waffen-SS, I command a company in the 44th Waffen Grenadier Division “Fritz Julius Kühn,” the 1st American. B. Company, 3-6. We’re known as a fireman company, and we provide the Gestapo, KriPo and OrPo with manpower and firepower when the need arises.
Family: “You may know my father, Brigadeführer Theodor Dahlgren. My mother is Helen Dahlgren, and I have one brother, Johann, 19 years old, and two sisters, Charlotta and Ingrid, 17 years old. They’re twins. I’m married to Victoria Mills, Generaloberst Mill’s daughter, and I have two children of my own.”
Religion:, “I still attend Reich Church, as an officer is required, but I’m contemplating other options within the SS.”
Greatest fear? “Seeing my family’s work burn. My father served the Reich from the moment troops landed on the Atlantic Coast, and I dread seeing the status and privilege it has earned us disappear.”
Most intimate ambition? “I want to serve the Reich, of course. What kind of question is that? Do you take me for a traitor?”
Loyalty? “Meine Ehre heißt Treue, as the saying goes.”
Three defining traits: I am punctual above all else. An instructor at Junkerschool once said he could set a watch to my steps, and I suppose that’s a good thing to have when strict timetables are involved. Compared to some of my colleagues, I consider myself a calm man and I’m not prone to explosive fits of rage, though don’t mistake that for weakness.
Personality: “I have a soft spot for fencing. After all, those dueling scars have to come from somewhere. I indulge in fine schnapps and chocolate in moderation.
BIOGRAPHY
Insert biography.
You can call me Bing for short.
When in Rome, write a Roman.
Puns are the highest form of humor.
Best NS Bureaucrat 2020

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:03 pm

PLAYER INFORMATION

Preferred NS Name: Alozia
Roleplay Sample: viewtopic.php?p=36608084#p36608084

GENERAL INFORMATION

Name:
My name's Thomas, but most people call me Tom. Last name's Hoffman, after my father. Probably wanna ch-- oh, never mind.

I was born in 1943, January 20th to be exact. I guess that would make me 18, calendar year-wise.

Sex:
Well, I'm a guy... Or a man, as of late. Not much to add here, I guess.

Sexual Orientation:
Oh, well... I'm single, if that's any help... no? Okay, uhm... I don't, I don't know, I just never got around to dating, I guess, so not sure why that's important... It's just, you know, the war took a couple of good men and it's time someone replaced them, so I've been focusing mostly on school... I'd imagine I'll be a bachelor for a while.

Ethnicity:
My mother's American and so is my father. But I guess that's not the question. Uhm, I think my mother mentioned something about her grandparents in England, they've been dead for a while, though. Father's parents came from Germany - 'you're lucky', some say. I don't quite get it... I mean I get it, but I don't get it. It's not like they are listening here.

Appearance:
Butterscotch blond hair, formerly pale skin, lightly tanned after his visits to the countryside, fairly tall (6ft.) and slim, green eyes - the latter being his largest flaw or most redeeming quality, depending on who you ask. Image

Residence:
Well, I live in Brooklyn, one of the working-class neighborhoods, or so my parents told me. Kind of hard to tell nowadays. Apparently it used to be 'full of life' back in the day, not sure what that means though since it's very loud even now... I guess people used to be more neighborly.

High school student, wants to study further to become a doctor.

Family:
  • John George Hoffman, 45 - father - veteran, car salesman
  • Elizabeth Joanne Hoffman (nee Winslow), 43 - mother - registered tutor, former tailor and ammunitions factory worker (during the war)
  • Franklin "Frank" Hoffman, 21 (at the time of death) - uncle, father's brother - Air Force pilot, shot down over the Pacific, bares resemblance to Thomas

Religion:
It's hard to have faith these days, but I'm trying. Haven't been to a church in a while, though. I try my best to pray before sleep.

Greatest fear?
What do you want me to say? Death, I guess... Although life under certain conditions, these conditions... Best not to think too long about it.

Most intimate ambition?
I'd love to be the President one day. The first President of Free America!

~a not so joke-ish joke he once made

Loyalty?
To the Reich, obviously. *eye roll* Oh, give me a break.

Three defining traits: idealistic, kind-hearted, energetic
Personality:
Thomas is cynical towards the Nazi regime, he's opposed to it for more or less obvious reasons, but knows not to keep his opinions mostly to himself, with the exception of few close friends and family. His mother always gets a tiny heart attack when he mentions his views, even though deep in her heart she agrees. Thomas exhibits a degree of optimism and idealism. A hard worker he wishes to see a better tomorrow. Him and his friends take occasional trips out of NYC, mostly to Upstate New York for leisure purposes.

BIOGRAPHY

Born in the New York borough of Brooklyn on January 20, 1943 to a working-class family, Thomas didn't choose a good time to be born. At that point America has been at war for over a year, its prospects looking grim from the very start. Always on the defensive, Columbia called for all of her sons to fulfill their duty to their motherland, drafting as many able-bodied men as it could. One of those men was John George Hoffman, son of German immigrants whose loyalty to America would be questioned to the war's bitter end.

With his then-young father away Thomas spent the first six years of his life under the care of his mother Elizabeth Joanne Hoffman. A kind-hearted, yet hard-working woman she would do her best to raise a son she could be proud of, regardless of reigning trends. Being a working mother wasn't easy, many of her friends enjoyed a far easier maternal life, but that perhaps was the reason why the bond between her and her son was so strong. Something that cannot be said about Thomas and his father.

Even though he would eventually return, John was a broken man, like many American veterans. The defeat would lie heavy on him. Thomas never learned the true reason for his father's depressive nature, always assuming that it was the yoke of Nazi invaders that kept him down, blissfully unaware of his father's own wrong doings following the war. You see, John Hoffman didn't immediately return home after the war. Rather, he spent the first few years of the New Order as an enlisted man, forced to serve in the newly reformed Reich Army due to his German ancestry. John decided to never forgive himself for his passive nature in the face of the horrors he witnessed. He never had to pull a trigger against a fellow American, but knew that he would if circumstances required it. All because of the fear for his family. "As if they didn't have families" he would remind himself everytime he felt pity for himself.

Thomas didn't know the America of old. Concepts such as racial hatred, segregation or violence weren't foreign to him, but he always perceived them as foreign imports. That wasn't the America of his very early childhood, not in his eyes. His America was more egalitarian, more free. That's the America that was, that's the America will be. That's the America he's thinking of everytime he's pledging allegiance to the nation.

And that's the America he builds time and time again, behind closed doors, for a few hours every week.

The idea of zealous Nazi American youth is a myth. It's nothing more than a notion to blind those to foolish to see the truth. Young people couldn't care less about race or gender or anything like that. The hatred and prejudice found in every corner of America is a bitter old man's tale, created to justify the shortcomings of petty men who don't have what it takes to make it in a just, equal world. These men might have seized power yesterday, they hold it today, but tomorrow - who knows what will happen.

The American youth, Thomas included, may not have the guns or tanks or planes of the Wehrmacht, but they have hope. And in today's world, hope can go a long way. It has to.
Last edited by Alozia on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bingellia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Bingellia » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:05 pm

PLAYER INFORMATION
Preferred NS Name: Bingellia
Roleplay Sample: To Boldly Go
GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: “I am Anton Dahlgren. Family papers after the liberation and my membership records will confirm that, though there may be some old church records in Illinois that still read Anthony Dahlgren.”
Age: “I’ve just turned 26, and I spent it on-duty filing paperwork because a few heer men couldn’t keep their mouths shut around us the day before.”
Sex: “I’m in the SS, I’ve had more than enough doctors examine what’s in my pants.
Sexual Orientation: “There may be a few degenerates who weaseled their way into the ranks of the SS, but I can assure you I’m not one of them. Any names I know have also been reported already, like Jonathan Karl, so I’m of no use in that regard.”
Appearance:I’m 186 centimeters and 82 kilos, needless to say I’m physically impressive. I also have a faint dueling just next to my lip, and a far more noticeable one along the inside of my right arm.
Residence: “I have a lovely home in Victory Hill, though the company headquarters may be more apt some days.”
Occupation: Hauptsturmführer in the Waffen-SS, I command a company in the 44th Waffen Panzergrenadier Division “Fritz Julius Kühn,” the 1st American. B. Company, 3-6. We’re known as a fireman company, and we provide the Gestapo, KriPo and OrPo with manpower and firepower when the need arises.
Family: “You may know my vater, Brigadeführer Theodor Dahlgren. My mother is Helen Dahlgren, and I have one brother, Johann, 19 years old, and two sisters, Charlotta and Ingrid, 17 years old. They’re twins. I’m married to Victoria Mills, Generaloberst Mill’s daughter, and I have three year old twins of my own, Baldur and Emma”
Religion:, “My census records identify me as gottgläubig, but I’m contemplating other options within the SS.”
Greatest fear? “Seeing my family’s work burn. My father served the Reich from the moment troops landed on the Atlantic Coast, and I dread seeing the status and privilege it has earned us disappear.”
Most intimate ambition? “I want to serve the Reich, of course. What kind of question is that? Do you take me for a traitor?”
Three defining traits: I am punctual above all else. An instructor at Junkerschule once said he could set a watch to my steps, and I suppose that’s a good thing to have when strict timetables are involved. Compared to some of my colleagues, I consider myself a calm man and I’m not prone to explosive fits of rage, though don’t mistake that for weakness. I’ve done my share for the Reich in the Waffen-SS, after all. Finally, I am a protective sort of man, in both senses. I’ve been told I’m hard to read, unless you’re Victoria, and I don’t take threats well.
Personality: “I have a soft spot for fencing, if it wasn’t obvious by the dueling scars, and I indulge in fine schnapps and chocolate in moderation.
BIOGRAPHY
“I was born in a Scandivanian town in Illinois that’s likely been wiped off the map by fighting during the liberation back in 1935. Right in the middle of the depression brought on by the bankers. Vater was a town clerk then, and was a member of the German-American Bund for as I can remember, and I thought little of it at the time.

I was twelve when the liberation started, and vater carried us to the east coast as soon as the Reich gained a foothold there. He, and many other Bund members, formed the first volunteer unit during the war, and, if his career has been any indication, served valiantly.

I, meanwhile, joined the Hitlerjugend and was immersed in proper curriculum and sports while the liberation raged and naturally succeeded. After the war, the Bund was important to integrating America to the Riech, and so my family reaped the spoils of that. Vater received a home in a New York suburb, previously owned by some undesirable. The change was immense, they had multiple radios and even a television.

Of course, a boy cannot stay young forever. Vater naturally wanted me to go into the SS and I did as well, so he used some connections to get me into the Junkerschule in the City. I passed my examinations, as naturally as an Aryan as pure as I am would, and completed my training.

From there, I was assigned to the 44th as a newly minted Untersturmführer and cut my teeth liquidating some underground fighters, starting a career in such actions. There’s little else to do in New York besides security detail and looking pretty with new equipment, I suppose.

I met Victoria not long after. Our fathers are familiar with one another, and it was only natural we’d soon bump into each other at social events, and soon we were married. I love the woman and her cooking certainly helped with that, though I obviously can’t deny that our fathers were politicking as well.

Three years have gone by since then, and with two children and a promotion to boot, I’d say that’s a decent start for a career, wouldn’t you? I myself wonder how far it will go. I’m still young, after all.
Last edited by Bingellia on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can call me Bing for short.
When in Rome, write a Roman.
Puns are the highest form of humor.
Best NS Bureaucrat 2020

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:39 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
PLAYER INFORMATION
Preferred NS Name: Norv
Roleplay Sample: I believe you know me.
Have you read the OP in its entirety? Yes.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Name:
"We named him David. His Hebrew name was Mordechai: a warrior. He lived up to it in the end. David Weitzman: my sweet boy who spent all his time in the art museum. God, how I miss him."

"The importer on the Upper West Side? His name is Edward Clarendon. Goes by Ted. He's always got Bordeaux, cognac, cigarettes, fancy cars. I wouldn't go near him, though. He goes to dinner parties with the Rockwells. You've got to know when to leave well enough alone, boys."

"His name was Jim. That's all we knew. He had been an academic before the war, I think, or something; all the liberals trusted him implicitly. He was an Oracle - a go-between with the higher-ups, our link to the larger organization. He planned the operation. I swear to God, that's all I know. I don't know anyone called Control."

"The head of Resistance operations in New York City is known as CONTROL. His age, appearance, profession, location, family, and true name are unknown and the subject of multiple conflicting reports from the few detainees who claim to have met him."

Gestapo File 61-1556

"He was born in 1906, so he'd be - God, he'd be fifty-five years old now. He was forty-one when he sent us to the Neutral Zone. I can't imagine him with grey in his hair."

"Clarendon, Edward. Age: 57. D.O.B.: 7/15/1904."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"He looked - I don't know. Forty-five? Fifty-five? Sixty-five? [unintelligible]. Stop stop - stop that - lines in his face but no wrinkles, grey in his hair but mostly dark, hairline receding but still strong - [unintelligible]. Jesus Christ I don't know how old Jim was!"

"CONTROL is known with moderate confidence to be older than forty. His exact age is unknown."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Sex:
"I try to remember him as he was, but sometimes I worry that age has brought a golden haze over all that. He seemed like the sort of man who never had trouble being a man: strong, brave, deep-voiced, broad-shouldered. He always seemed to know what to do. But perhaps that's just because I'm his mother."

"Clarendon, Edward. Sex: Male."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Yes - Jim's a man, definitely a man - I don't know if all the Oracles are men, I never met any others - God, please just stop."

"CONTROL is known with moderate confidence to be male. Reports from two detainees that CONTROL is female are believed to be attempts to mislead authorities through fantastic fabrications."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Sexual Orientation:
"I always wanted Davey to get married - I know, I know, Jewish mother. He never did, though. He had a few girlfriends in college, and I think he was truly in love with a girl at Harvard, when he was doing his graduate studies. They were together for five or six years, even after he got his degree and started teaching at Columbia, but they never married. And when he left for the war I don't know what happened to her."

"Clarendon shows no signs of sexual perversion, but has not been closely monitored; an element of speculation is unavoidable."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"God, I've already told you, yes, I'm a queer. I've already told you - what? Jim? I don't know - oh Jesus no, okay, listen, Jim was an Oracle, he didn't fraternize with guys like us either way, but [unintelligible]. Yes, God, yes, fine, sure, he was a queer, is that what you want? Yes, yes, yes."

"CONTROL's sexual preference is not known per se, but psychological profiling suggests that perversion, like most other forms of effeminacy, would be inconsistent with his effectiveness."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Ethnicity:
"I still remember my father talking about how we were not just Jews, but the right kind of Jews: Hamburg merchants who came over in the 1840s, not this Ukrainian rabble pouring into the slums of the Lower East Side. I was only supposed to marry another yekke, and so I did, and David grew up like we had: assimilated, wealthy, speaking English and not Yiddish, playing squash with Episcopalians and Presbyterians in nice uptown neighborhoods. I don't know how we could have been so arrogant; how we could have forgotten so quickly why we left Europe in the first place."

"Clarendon is of Aryan stock derived from pure Anglo-Saxon lines, as demonstrated by his skull shape (confirmed by physician), genealogical records, and intellect."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"White, yeah, definitely white, looked maybe English to me, maybe French? Not Irish, I think - [unintelligible]. Russian! Italian! Ah - ah - Jewish? Yeah, yeah, Jewish! Oh, God, Jewish. Please."

"CONTROL's obvious intellect makes clear that he cannot be a Negro. His evident combination of low cunning and wanton brutality suggest Jewish blood."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Appearance:
"David was always so handsome. I thought so, anyway, but I wasn't the only one. About average height, but with such broad shoulders and always trim around the middle - he kept himself in shape. He had my hair: dark and straight and thick - and grey eyes, like my father. When he was a professor, he grew a short beard, but they made him shave it when he went to the Army. If he's alive now, I expect he'll have grey in his hair. Oh, I hope I get to see him go grey."

"Clarendon, Edward: Height: 5'11''. Weight: 177 lbs. Hair color: brown; side-part and short beard. Eye color: grey. Build: athletic. Race: Aryan. Typically dresses in tailored suits in the English style. Uses a cane to walk."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Oh thank you. Thank you. Yeah. Like I said, anywhere between forty-five and sixty-five, face more lined than wrinkled, like he'd spent a lot of time outdoors, you know? Dark brown hair, receding hairline, a lot of grey in it, beard cut close to the jaw. Eyes? Grey - ah, fuck, beautiful eyes I thought, why hide anything now? But cold. Jim had a battered leather coat, and he always wore a tie - I thought that was odd. Not a big guy, not obviously, but built, you know? Not like a laborer - like a boxer, I think. Plenty of muscle, but none of it wasted."

"CONTROL's exact appearance is unknown. Captured 'Oracles' - conduits between Resistance cells and leadership - report that he has red hair, or dark hair; two report that CONTROL is actually a woman. Psychological profiling indicating Jewish blood is likely most reliable indicia of appearance."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Residence:
"I begged and pleaded with Davey - oh, how I begged, like I was begging for my life - for him to come with us to the Neutral Zone. He had arranged our passage, after all, Sam and Esther and me. But he wouldn't go. He's always been so - beyond stubborn - unmovable. That vast silent strength that not even he could express or explain. If he's still alive, I'm sure he's still in New York. Somewhere."

"Clarendon, Edward. Address: Apt. A-21, the Apthorp, 2201 Broadway."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Oh, please. Please. I don't know Jim's address. Only our cell leader even knew how to contact him. And then Jim told us where to be for him to meet us, and half the time he didn't even show up anyway. Please. You gotta believe me. I don't know."

"CONTROL's address is unknown, though the evident efficiency with which he communicates with 'Oracles' suggests a residence somewhere within the city of New York."

Gestapo File 61-1556

"David was a student for a long time: years and years, until he was twenty-eight years old. So long that we worried about him. Then he taught philosophy at Columbia for seven years. After Pearl Harbor, he went to a lawyer friend - a Mr. Donovan - and he helped organize the OSS. I don't know what happened after that exactly - he was in Burma for a time, I think, and then Norway. After the bomb, in '45, he made it back to New York a few weeks ahead of the invasion, and helped to organize the RAA - some kind of OSS fallback plan, called Operation Gladio. After that collapsed too, he sent us to the Rockies, and I don't know what he's done since. All I can do is pray he's still alive."

"Now remember: Clarendon is licensed to import products both from inside and from outside the territory of the Greater German Reich. That means wine, brandy, fancy cars, cigars, nice suits, silk stockings - he gets to handle all of that. We know Clarendon probably goes beyond that. But he's a low enforcement priority, and he has powerful friends: half the Reich government goes to him for one reason or another. Don't touch him, or we'll have the SS breathing down our necks."

"I have no idea. Jim had some money, at least enough for food and medicine, because he seemed healthy. And he gave me the feeling that he'd been rich at some time - but I think that was probably before the war. He definitely didn't dress like he had money now."

"CONTROL's occupation is unknown. It is likely that his employment is seasonal or temporary, allowing him to minimize his tax documentation. Recommend investigation of handymen, contractors, accountants, etc."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Family:
"He has so few people left. Sam and me - his parents - he sent us to the Rockies in '47, with his sister Esther, when the RAA fell apart. He told us that we would not be able to contact him, that we'd never know where he was or what he was doing, but if freedom ever came he'd meet us at noon in front of our old house uptown. I am so old, now, but I am still waiting. After almost fifteen years, I am still waiting. And David has no one else: no wife, no children. He must be so alone."

"Clarendon, Edward. Unmarried, no known offspring. Next of kin: Clarendon, Matilda, mother, of Braintree, MA. (Note: identity not confirmed)."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Family? No, Jim never mentioned any family. I don't think he was wearing a wedding ring - no, stop, wait, all right, I looked, I know. He wasn't wearing a ring."

"CONTROL's family situation is unknown. It is unlikely that he has allowed any family to remain in New York City. His persistence suggests potential connection to a family member who was made subject to the justice of the Reich."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Religion:
"David believed in God. I do know that, I think, and it gives me some comfort - because then he can't have been quite so alone after all. He wasn't Orthodox, or anything like that. I'm not sure how much he read the Bible, or said the prayers, but it was probably more than Sam and I did. But when he prayed, he meant it. To him, God really was 'Melech Ha'Olam' - king of the universe. God would bring all things right. All David had to do was hold on, and help it happen."

"Clarendon's attendance at Reich Church services is consistent and voluntary, and he has repeatedly contributed funds to church-related charities."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Jim wasn't Catholic, that's for damn sure. He seemed like one of those old-school Protestants, Episcopalian or Presbyterian or Dutch Reformed or something. One of those churches with a lot of money and a lot of Presidents. You can tell when a guy's never been told to say a Hail Mary."

"CONTROL's religion, consistent with the rest of his psychological profile, is likely to be Jewish."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Greatest fear?
"David was never afraid to die. How that terrified me, as his mother - how could he hold his life so lightly when it mattered more than anything to me? But now I think it comforts me. What he feared most was losing whatever it was that gave him the strength to go on: some combination of God, and country, and steady confidence in the right. A truth beyond philosophy, he called it, back when he was a professor of exactly that. Something worth dying for. As long as he held on to that truth, I'm not sure anything could really scare him. If he is dead, then I can know that at the last, he was not afraid. There is some comfort in that."

"Clarendon walks with a cane due to injuries sustained in a boating accident, and has since evinced a deep-seated fear of boats."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"I can say with some confidence that Control will never allow himself to be taken alive. He may, in fact, never even risk being taken alive. He has sacrificed everything for the Cause. He has no family left, no friends, no one with whom to share his secrets, no one to hold him close, no one to mourn him. His only relationships are with the Nazis upon who he spies, and a few Resistance comrades who do not even know his name. A man more lonely, more crushed by responsibility and fear, I cannot imagine. All he has left is the Cause. He will never risk losing it. I suspect it is not the fear of torture that makes Control keep a cyanide pill in a fake tooth. It is the fear that he might break, and lose the one piece of himself he has left."

"CONTROL, like most other Resistance leaders, is likely to fear capture and may go to great lengths to avoid it."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Most intimate ambition?
"Before he sent us to the Rockies, Davey told us that if we all survived, and freedom came back, he'd meet us in front of our old house uptown. He told us that there would be a life for us on the far side of this: a quiet life, a life with no guns. He'd move us all into his home and make breakfast every morning, and teach Esther's kids to play chess, and spend his afternoons in the park reading Sartre and feeding the pigeons. And we'd all grow old together. How my heart breaks to think of it."

"Clarendon's motivations appear to be as simple as most other American nouveaux-riches: he wants to be wealthy, and respected, and to have powerful friends who can keep him safe. Should leverage be required, a threat to his prosperity or social position would likely secure his compliance."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"This is why Control is so effective: he wants, above all else, to win. He does not want to be wealthy or powerful or popular or respected. He does not want to be good or gentle or merciful or moral; he does not want to feel superior; he does not even want to go to heaven. He does not want to be happy; he does not want to be loved; he does not want to be remembered when he is gone. He wants to win, and only to win, no matter the cost to his body or his soul or his country. He does not even care who runs the country after the Nazis are defeated, so long as life becomes livable again. He is unburdened by ego, ideology, friendship, or mercy. His whole life has but a single purpose: the destruction of the American Reich."

"CONTROL's systematic policy of terrorism toward Reich police and functionaries suggests a fundamental motivation of personal revenge, not broader degenerate ideology or self-preservation. He hates the German people and all that they have built, and wishes to tear down the Reich to satisfy his own anguish at having been defeated. Unlike other Resistance leaders, such a man cannot be bought off or marginalized. He must be hunted down and destroyed."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Loyalty?
"David once told me that the one thing to keep your eye on was doing what was right. That didn't mean what was easy - what was popular - what was practical. It also didn't mean doing what was good: sometimes doing a purely good act was exactly the wrong thing to do, because you would hurt people if you tried to be a better man than the times required. It didn't mean doing what felt like the right thing, either; it didn't mean keeping your hands clean. It meant seeing quite clearly what the greatest evil before you was, and doing whatever was necessary to stop it. That's where David's heart has always lived, where his deepest loyalty lay: with doing the right thing. I would do anything for my boy, anything. But he would not do the same for me; he had a higher loyalty. In the end, that's why he wouldn't come to the Rockies with us, no matter how I begged; David was willing to cut his entire family out of his life rather than compromise that higher calling."

"Clarendon's loyalty is not seriously in doubt; the Reich has been good to him, and his fortunes are directly bound to the success of the Reich's government, whose officials constitute most of his customers. His occasional avoidance of customs regulations is a matter of venal self-interest, not of political perversion."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"In my view, any attempt by the Central Committee to exert greater control over the New York organization would be counterproductive. Control is cautious about even existing contacts to the larger nationwide Resistance, because he cannot compartmentalize our access to information in the way that he does within his own organization; he sees us as a security risk. Moreover, unlike the resistance organizations represented on the Central Committee, the New York Resistance is a heterogenous umbrella group, in which cells may be communist or black or Jewish, but the organization as a whole is not. For us to extend our influence risks enflaming sectarian tensions within Control's organization. He is loyal to the Committee, at least in an abstract sense, and he accepts that it will serve as America's transitional government if we at last succeed. But in return for his loyalty, he expects us to leave him alone and let him do his job. At least for now, I suggest we comply."

"CONTROL may not be affiliated with the so-called 'Central Committee' of the Resistance; at the very least, he does not take direct orders from the Committee and he shares very little information with it. Our sources with access to the Committee have not provided usable intelligence on Control or his New York organization."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Three defining traits:
"It's a strange and awful thing to know that the boy you washed and dressed and taught to ride a bike has turned into a hero. No mother should have to watch her son take up that kind of burden. He was so strong, and so brave, and so utterly sad - that day we said goodbye. I loved him, and pitied him, and understood that he belonged to history now, and not to me any more. Not ever."

"Ultimately, despite his unusual level of access, Clarendon cannot be taken seriously as a security threat. He is a nonentity: bright, pleasant, and weak."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"I do not believe this man will long outlive the Reich he seeks to destroy. Control is so perfectly fitted to the present moment that its end, somehow, would seem to entail his own. He is too brilliant, too brutal, too lonely to bear the return of peace. To become human again would destroy him."

"CONTROL's psychological profile can be assessed only by reference to his evident choices as leader of the Resistance in New York. His resistance to capture or even identification suggests profound paranoia; his proclivity for terrorist tactics suggests sadism, or at the least a pathological lack of empathy; his refusal to surrender after more than a decade suggests delusional or magical thinking, a disconnect with reality that does not appear to impede his effectiveness."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Personality:
"David was hard to know. From his teenage years on, I would see him in different contexts, with different people, and he would seem almost like a different man. He could be funny, eloquent, inspiring, infuriating - but never quite open. I did know him - I have to believe that - but even so I'm not sure I understood him. Beneath all the faces he could wear, there was something true and warm and wise, but he never quite knew how to speak it or share it. It was a fire that warmed him alone. I wish someone - anyone - had found a way to know him better."

"Clarendon possesses the capacity for manipulation, but only at the level of a car salesman. He can be ingratiating, seductive, highly persuasive; but he is more merely beguiling than genuinely charismatic."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"No man I've ever met has been so lonely, for so long, with such silent endurance. His every waking moment is a prison of silent, solitary fear. God willing, he may yet win this war for us - and then, God willing, the world will let him die and be free at last."

"CONTROL cannot possibly be entirely sane, after being hunted continuously for fourteen years by the Reich's finest. What makes him so dangerous is precisely that his madness does not appear to make him less effective; quite the contrary. Whatever his psychosis, he has turned it into a weapon; it is not a weakness, but a strength."

Gestapo File 61-1556

BIOGRAPHY
"In the end, I think we did the best we could for David. If he never quite seemed happy, it was something within him that was the cause, some distant summons that only he could hear. We couldn't understand that, or change it. But he had a good childhood: Sam was one of the highest-paid surgeons in New York, I was a fairly successful writer, and we gave Davey a lovely brownstone on the Upper West Side to grow up in. We paid his tuition at a nice private school, where he sat through chapel with all the Episcopalians. He spent summers at camp in Vermont, canoeing and woodworking and birdwatching. He rode ponies in the park and went to the Met every weekend to stare at the art and think: always a thoughtful child, always with some silent passion locked away behind his eyes. During the first war, when he was twelve, David volunteered to collect pocket change from the neighborhood children to buy war bonds. During the pandemic, he helped Sam in the field hospital, carrying food and bedpans. That was when we knew we'd raised him right: that privilege had not rotted his soul. But it was also the first time I began to fear for him, because what kind of child seems happier in a field hospital than playing with his friends?

"As he got older he had lots of - I suppose they were friends, because Davey spent afternoons with them, but the word didn't quite fit. Maybe it was because when he was with his friends, I almost didn't recognize David; everything about him was just a tiny, precise measure different. It was the same when he was at Hebrew school, and during his Bar Mitzvah: this strange, precocious gravity, the hushed solemnity of the central-casting pious Jew. He seemed most himself when he was alone: when he made his weekly pilgrimage to the Met. Once, I saw him reading Kierkegaard in the park, the summer before he left for college. He was tucked away on a bench by the pond, where he didn't know anyone could see. I saw him look up from the book, and hold his head in one hand, and sob.

"He was cheerful, engaged, kind and helpful around the house, popular at school. But I could never shake the image of him crying in the park with that book.

"David went to college at Harvard, like Sam had before him. We saw him pretty often, even so, and he wrote to us regularly and thoughtfully. He studied philosophy, and learned French and German and Russian and Greek and Latin and Hebrew; he was amazing with languages, dazzling. He joined the boxing team, which shocked and scared me, but he never got seriously hurt. From his letters, it even sounded like he mostly won. He alluded to a few girlfriends, but never brought any of them home; I just assumed that was because he was fooling around with shiksas. I don't think he drank his way through school, like all those other students in the '20s who were imitating This Side of Paradise. If anything, he seemed to me to get more and more serious every time he came home over the summers. I wasn't surprised when David was accepted to Harvard's Ph.D. program in philosophy, instead of going to law school or medical school like Sam wanted. When we talked about it, he was as open as I ever saw him. He said that he felt like some great truth was out there, blinding in its simplicity, that would tell him everything he needed to know for his life and death to matter. How could he fail to pursue it?

"We saw David a little less after that. He was building a life in Boston: a tidy apartment, tutoring professors' children to augment his graduate assistant's stipend, a little garden, a brand-new beard that made me laugh when I saw it for the first time. I think of those as the years of Hannah: she was his girlfriend, though he never brought her back to New York and I only saw her when I went up to Boston to visit. They were together for five or six years - his last two years of graduate school, and three or four more after that. At first, I asked why they didn't just get married; then I stopped asking, because it was such a strange situation that I didn't really want to know the answer. She was a quiet girl, very quiet, with huge dark eyes. I thought she seemed very sad: sad like the Great War veterans who worked with Sam at the hospital. There was that same silence in her. Once, David got a phone call from Hannah when he was visiting us, and he left and drove up to Boston less than two minutes after hanging up. He never told us why.

"David wrote his Ph.D. thesis on the connections between Kierkegaard and a little-known Austrian Jewish philosopher named Martin Buber. I have read it five times now, and I'm still not totally sure what it means. It is about encountering the world as it is and not as you would like it to be, allowing it to change you and eventually unmake you, and yet refusing to despair - because despair is the only unforgivable sin, the ultimate lie. It got David a junior professorship at Columbia after he graduated, and he moved home; Hannah stayed in Boston. In the end, I think she was committed to a mental institution; David took two weeks off from teaching, and vanished up to Boston, and came back silent and exhausted to stay in his childhood bed for a while. I knew, after that, that he would never marry; somehow, I knew.

"But he still seemed happy, at least in a quiet, calm way. His students adored him, and he clearly loved teaching; he won the university's teaching award twice in seven years. In the '30s, as Hitler amassed his power, David gave speeches against isolationism with a friend he made in Washington - Mr. MacLeish, the Librarian of Congress. In his spare time, Davey worked with our local synagogue and other Jewish groups to sponsor refugees from Europe. When Esther got married and had the twins, David was thrilled; he came over two or three times a week to sit and watch the babies, and I had never seen such pure joy on his face. He promised Esther that when they got old enough, he'd teach them to play chess.

"And then the war came: Pearl Harbor, the utter destruction of our Pacific Fleet. And suddenly, David's whole social circle vanished: him and MacLeish and their lawyer friend Bill Donovan, all the pro-intervention intellectual elite of New York. We later learned that Wilkie had told them to create an agency tasked with spywork and sabotage: the OSS. I saw David once during the war, in '43, when he was home on leave. He was exhausted and frightened. I asked him what was happening, and he stared at me for a long moment. Then a terrible peace loosened his shoulders, and he told me to make a plan to flee the city in case the worst happened.

"I saw him next in late '45. We had fled the invasion to an RAA-controlled enclave in southern Ohio. Somehow, David tracked us down. He told us that the fight was only just beginning, and gave us ten thousand dollars in cash to buy food. And he told us to burn anything that could identify us as Jews. He was harder now, much harder. I asked him how many men he had killed. He smiled with just one side of his mouth, and said: "Evidently, not enough." I was angry about that. I didn't know I'd only ever see him once more.

"I saw my son for the last time in '47, after the massacre at Cincinnati. David found us hiding in a farmhouse in northern Kentucky. He gave us more money, and the name of a man in Lexington who could get us out to the Neutral Zone. He told us that he was not coming; that he could not tell us where he would be or how to contact him; that he could not risk ever contacting us, either, because the Nazis might be watching him. I knew what he meant: he was saying goodbye. I begged and pleaded and wept and raged, but he would not change his mind. He could not change it - he said that, and after all these years, I think I finally believe him. In the end, he told us that when freedom came, if any of us escaped the camps, we would meet at our old house in New York. He would wait for us there every day, David said, no matter how long it took. I cried and cried and held him in my arms, and suddenly he cried too, a great heartbroken flood. Then Davey kissed Esther's children on the forehead, and said very softly: 'This is the last time I shall weep.'

"I never saw him again."

TOP SECRET, OSS EYES ONLY, DO NOT RELEASE TO WAR DEPT.

Weitzman, David Henry: founding OSS officer personally recruited by Director Donovan. Directly commissioned as major, trained in Canada by British SOE.

Parachuted into Fort Hertz, northern Burma, 5/21/1942. Recruited local hill tribes to fight as Kachin Rangers, screening advance of Chinese and Indian forces. Contracted and survived yellow fever and dysentery; wounded in action and subsequently contracted dengue fever, and evacuated. Returned to duty after 5 weeks' medical recovery in Calcutta, over the objections of British physicians.

Parachuted into Kauai Island, Hawaii, 12/15/1942, and led OSS sabotage team assigned to destroy Japanese logistics and airfields. Succeeded in crippling local Japanese air defenses ahead of US invasion, but captured and tortured for two weeks before liberated by US troops, 3/12/1943. Fought on frontlines against Japanese counterinvasion, and evacuated with rest of US troops in final retreat from Hawaii in May 1943.

Returned to duty after two weeks' leave to visit family, and then parachuted into France, 6/20/1943, to coordinate French Resistance attacks on German naval infrastructure in Brittany. Despite pressure from OSS Command for an immediate sabotage operation, spent four months cultivating network of agents inside Brest dockyards, feeding each of them mutually inconsistent stories about their objective in case of capture. Successfully sabotaged five U-boats, though all agents inside dockyard were captured or killed.

Extracted by submarine and parachuted into Norway, 1/18/1944, assigned to coordinate with Norwegian resistance and investigate reports of German uranium enrichment. Lost two toes to frostbite during eight-day cross-country ski approach march in dead of winter. Personally infiltrated facility using SS uniform and forged documents. Confirmed enrichment program and presence of Dr. Heisenberg. Blew his cover attempting to sabotage facility, shot twice in ensuing gunfight, rescued by Norwegian resistance and evacuated by submarine.

Upon return to U.S., emphasized necessity of contingency planning for Axis invasion in debrief with Director Donovan and General Marshall. Assigned 7/21/1944 as deputy director, Operation Gladio: preparation for domestic resistance in case of Axis invasion. Coordinated creation of weapons caches and militia training programs in all 48 states; identified and groomed local leaders for resistance to occupation; supervised stockpile of $1.2 million cash for postinvasion bribes and black market transactions. Took extreme precautions to ensure that his role in the program was not public knowledge or identified in War Dept. documents; communicated with local partners only through intermediaries.

Returned to New York shortly after nuclear bombing of Washington, 12/24/1945, and assisted in coordinating civilian evacuation (including of close family) ahead of German advance. Expressed intention to rally forces in Vermont, and then Kentucky and Ohio, as part of Rebel American Army armed and trained by Operation Gladio. Record ends 2/15/1946, pursuant to OSS Order 46-111 (Termination of Compromising Records in Case of Invasion).

OSS File 46-1197

"Clarendon, Edward. Born 7/15/1904 in Braintree, MA, to an Anglo-Saxon family descended from early Puritan settlers. Attended Harvard University, Class of 1926; graduated with degree in economics (official university records destroyed by subversive faculty in 1949). Moved to California and established successful import/export business; all records held by Japanese Pacific States; document request issued 4/12/1953 remains pending. Married 1929 (date unknown); divorced 1931, likely due to business difficulties. Active in California conservative politics in opposition to organized labor, and funded strike-breakers in 1937. Member in good standing of America First Committee. All records cease in early 1945, but interviews with Clarendon indicate that he fled California for Reich-controlled territory in order to avoid Japanese rule, taking his entire life savings with him in cash. Arrived in New York City 5/18/1952, and established a new import-export business with half-million pre-war US dollars in cash. Acquired relevant licenses with remarkable speed. Has since established close social and business ties with Party, military, and administrative officials; sterling reputation for efficiency and discretion. Bank statements reveal net worth of $781,290. Suspected of customs violations, but officially listed as low enforcement priority."

Gestapo File 56-4412

"Control has exercised the utmost discretion in concealing his personal background and true identity. Not even his closest associates know what name his mother gave him, nor exactly how old he is. He has a well-established cover identity in New York City, but has refused to disclose it even to the Central Committee. As a result, only the general outlines of his life can be inferred even by a member of his own organization. Some of my conclusions are more in the realm of wager than of conclusion.

"He seems likely to be a native of New York, based on his intimate knowledge of the city. He is clearly well-educated, indeed classically educated, and speaks at least French and Latin if not other languages. He almost certainly served in the armed forces during the war, most likely in some capacity relating to intelligence. He was with the RAA, perhaps in Ohio, before V-A Day, since he did not arrive in New York until early 1948. The sharp uptick in Resistance activity observed in New York in 1948 and 1949 suggests that he arrived with immediate access to funds, weapons, or both. Perhaps more importantly, he must have been aware of the identity of almost every potential Resistance leader in the city, since he managed to build a coalition of communist, black-nationalist, Jewish, and liberal-democratic leaders - the current Oracles of the organization - each of whom had previously led a separate Resistance cell. To the best of my knowledge, however, no Oracle had ever met Control before he arrived in New York. They identify his access to capital, knowledge of weapons caches, and obvious competence and commitment as reasons for trusting him, and for accepting the strictly compartmentalized structure that he designed and implemented.

"During Control's tenure, the New York Resistance has successfully bombed and completely destroyed seven police stations, three courthouses, two radio stations, a war memorial, a military barracks, a bar frequented by SS officers, and the New York Customs House. It has robbed five banks, three armories, one train, and more than a dozen armored cars. It has assassinated a general, three deputy ministers, a Reich Church bishop, eight significant Reich media figures, eleven judges, and dozens if not hundreds of ordinary police, soldiers, and SS. It has, by Control's estimation, suffered the complete loss of thirty-one cells and the death of more than eight hundred members over the course of fourteen years; nevertheless, the total number of cells has increased every year but 1956, despite (or perhaps because of) mass reprisals that have killed nine thousand New Yorkers since 1948. Control has achieved this in the most heavily policed city in North America. I have no way of knowing how many of these operations Control directly planned, but it is likely that he was personally involved in at least approving every operation that risked a mass reprisal. More importantly, his organizational structure is what has allowed the Resistance to survive under exceedingly risky conditions.

"I understand the reluctance of the Committee to trust a man whose name, age, origin, and background are entirely unknown to them. But I would offer the thought that it is perhaps precisely because so little is known of Control that we should trust him. The name his mother gave him has no relevance to him any longer, and realistically, it is equally irrelevant to us. What matters - the only thing that matters - is what he does. And so for our purposes, we know all that we need to know. This man fights, and he fights to win."

"CONTROL's background is entirely unknown, and can be discerned only through psychological profiling, which is necessarily an imprecise tool. Nevertheless, certain conclusions are warrantable. CONTROL's pathological contempt for order and discipline suggest an origin amid conditions of decadence and individual license; he is likely the child either of privilege, or of extreme poverty, but not of workers. His evident ability to organize disparate factions may reflect past experience with the socialist labor unions of the 1920s and 1930s. He almost certainly served in the American Army during the war, perhaps even in a special-operations or intelligence capacity, and may have been severely wounded or suffered the loss of a close friend; this would explain his unreasoning desire for revenge. His arrival in New York City likely coincides with the sharp uptick in violence in early 1948, and this implies that he must have been elsewhere until that time, presumably fighting with the Rebel American Army. At least one captured 'Oracle' has stated that CONTROL has or had independent access to funds and arms, which may indicate an organized crime connection; this has not been confirmed. No further conclusions as to CONTROL's personal history can be regarded as warranted."

Gestapo File 61-1556

Alozia wrote:
PLAYER INFORMATION

Preferred NS Name: Alozia
Roleplay Sample: viewtopic.php?p=36608084#p36608084

GENERAL INFORMATION

Name:
My name's Thomas, but most people call me Tom. Last name's Hoffman, after my father. Probably wanna ch-- oh, never mind.

I was born in 1943, January 20th to be exact. I guess that would make me 18, calendar year-wise.

Sex:
Well, I'm a guy... Or a man, as of late. Not much to add here, I guess.

Sexual Orientation:
Oh, well... I'm single, if that's any help... no? Okay, uhm... I don't, I don't know, I just never got around to dating, I guess, so not sure why that's important... It's just, you know, the war took a couple of good men and it's time someone replaced them, so I've been focusing mostly on school... I'd imagine I'll be a bachelor for a while.

Ethnicity:
My mother's American and so is my father. But I guess that's not the question. Uhm, I think my mother mentioned something about her grandparents in England, they've been dead for a while, though. Father's parents came from Germany - 'you're lucky', some say. I don't quite get it... I mean I get it, but I don't get it. It's not like they are listening here.

Appearance:
Butterscotch blond hair, formerly pale skin, lightly tanned after his visits to the countryside, fairly tall (6ft.) and slim, green eyes - the latter being his largest flaw or most redeeming quality, depending on who you ask.

Residence:
Well, I live in Brooklyn, one of the working-class neighborhoods, or so my parents told me. Kind of hard to tell nowadays. Apparently it used to be 'full of life' back in the day, not sure what that means though since it's very loud even now... I guess people used to be more neighborly.

High school student, wants to study further to become a doctor.

Family:
  • John George Hoffman, 45 - father - veteran, car salesman
  • Elizabeth Joanne Hoffman (nee Winslow), 43 - mother - registered tutor, former tailor and ammunitions factory worker (during the war)
  • Franklin "Frank" Hoffman, 21 (at the time of death) - uncle, father's brother - Air Force pilot, shot down over the Pacific, bares resemblance to Thomas

Religion:
It's hard to have faith these days, but I'm trying. Haven't been to a church in a while, though. I try my best to pray before sleep.

Greatest fear?
What do you want me to say? Death, I guess... Although life under certain conditions, these conditions... Best not to think too long about it.

Most intimate ambition?
I'd love to be the President one day. The first President of Free America!

~a not so joke-ish joke he once made

Loyalty?
To the Reich, obviously. *eye roll* Oh, give me a break.

Three defining traits: idealistic, kind-hearted, energetic
Personality:
Thomas is cynical towards the Nazi regime, he's opposed to it for more or less obvious reasons, but knows not to keep his opinions mostly to himself, with the exception of few close friends and family. His mother always gets a tiny heart attack when he mentions his views, even though deep in her heart she agrees. Thomas exhibits a degree of optimism and idealism. A hard worker he wishes to see a better tomorrow. Him and his friends take occasional trips out of NYC, mostly to Upstate New York for leisure purposes.

BIOGRAPHY

Born in the New York borough of Brooklyn on January 20, 1943 to a working-class family, Thomas didn't choose a good time to be born. At that point America has been at war for over a year, its prospects looking grim from the very start. Always on the defensive, Columbia called for all of her sons to fulfill their duty to their motherland, drafting as many able-bodied men as it could. One of those men was John George Hoffman, son of German immigrants whose loyalty to America would be questioned to the war's bitter end.

With his then-young father away Thomas spent the first six years of his life under the care of his mother Elizabeth Joanne Hoffman. A kind-hearted, yet hard-working woman she would do her best to raise a son she could be proud of, regardless of reigning trends. Being a working mother wasn't easy, many of her friends enjoyed a far easier maternal life, but that perhaps was the reason why the bond between her and her son was so strong. Something that cannot be said about Thomas and his father.

Even though he would eventually return, John was a broken man, like many American veterans. The defeat would lie heavy on him. Thomas never learned the true reason for his father's depressive nature, always assuming that it was the yoke of Nazi invaders that kept him down, blissfully unaware of his father's own wrong doings following the war. You see, John Hoffman didn't immediately return home after the war. Rather, he spent the first few years of the New Order as an enlisted man, forced to serve in the newly reformed Reich Army due to his German ancestry. John decided to never forgive himself for his passive nature in the face of the horrors he witnessed. He never had to pull a trigger against a fellow American, but knew that he would if circumstances required it. All because of the fear for his family. "As if they didn't have families" he would remind himself everytime he felt pity for himself.

Thomas didn't know the America of old. Concepts such as racial hatred, segregation or violence weren't foreign to him, but he always perceived them as foreign imports. That wasn't the America of his very early childhood, not in his eyes. His America was more egalitarian, more free. That's the America that was, that's the America will be. That's the America he's thinking of everytime he's pledging allegiance to the nation.

And that's the America he builds time and time again, behind closed doors, for a few hours every week.

The idea of zealous Nazi American youth is a myth. It's nothing more than a notion to blind those to foolish to see the truth. Young people couldn't care less about race or gender or anything like that. The hatred and prejudice found in every corner of America is a bitter old man's tale, created to justify the shortcomings of petty men who don't have what it takes to make it in a just, equal world. These men might have seized power yesterday, they hold it today, but tomorrow - who knows what will happen.

The American youth, Thomas included, may not have the guns or tanks or planes of the Wehrmacht, but they have hope. And in today's world, hope can go a long way. It has to.

Bingellia wrote:
PLAYER INFORMATION
Preferred NS Name: Bingellia
Roleplay Sample: To Boldly Go
GENERAL INFORMATION
Appearance:I’m 186 centimeters and 82 kilos, needless to say I’m physically impressive. I also have a faint dueling just next to my lip, and a far more noticeable one along the inside of my right arm.
Occupation: Hauptsturmführer in the Waffen-SS, I command a company in the 44th Waffen Panzergrenadier Division “Fritz Julius Kühn,” the 1st American. B. Company, 3-6. We’re known as a fireman company, and we provide the Gestapo, KriPo and OrPo with manpower and firepower when the need arises.
Family: “You may know my vater, Brigadeführer Theodor Dahlgren. My mother is Helen Dahlgren, and I have one brother, Johann, 19 years old, and two sisters, Charlotta and Ingrid, 17 years old. They’re twins. I’m married to Victoria Mills, Generaloberst Mill’s daughter, and I have three year old twins of my own, Baldur and Emma”
Religion:, “I still attend Reich Church, as an officer is required, but I’m contemplating other options within the SS.”
Three defining traits: I am punctual above all else. An instructor at Junkerschule once said he could set a watch to my steps, and I suppose that’s a good thing to have when strict timetables are involved. Compared to some of my colleagues, I consider myself a calm man and I’m not prone to explosive fits of rage, though don’t mistake that for weakness. I’ve done my share for the Reich in the Waffen-SS, after all. Finally, I am a protective sort of man, in both senses. I’ve been told I’m hard to read, unless you’re Victoria, and I don’t take threats well.
Personality: “I have a soft spot for fencing, if it wasn’t obvious by the dueling scars, and I indulge in fine schnapps and chocolate in moderation.
BIOGRAPHY
“I was born in a Scandivanian town in Illinois that’s likely been wiped off the map by fighting during the liberation back in 1935. Right in the middle of the depression brought on by the bankers. Vater was a town clerk then, and was a member of the German-American Bund for as I can remember, and I thought little of it at the time.

I was twelve when the liberation started, and vater carried us to the east coast as soon as the Reich gained a foothold there. He, and many other Bund members, formed the first volunteer unit during the war, and, if his career has been any indication, served valiantly.

I, meanwhile, joined the Hitlerjugend and was immersed in proper curriculum and sports while the liberation raged and naturally succeeded. After the war, the Bund was important to integrating America to the Riech, and so my family reaped the spoils of that. Vater received a home in a New York suburb, previously owned by some undesirable. The change was immense, they had multiple radios and even a television.

Of course, a boy cannot stay young forever. Vater naturally wanted me to go into the SS and I did as well, so he used some connections to get me into the Junkerschule in the City. I passed my examinations, as naturally as an Aryan as pure as I am would, and completed my training.

From there, I was assigned to the 44th as a newly minted Untersturmführer and cut my teeth liquidating some underground fighters, starting a career in such actions. There’s little else to do in New York besides security detail and looking pretty with new equipment, I suppose.

I met Victoria not long after. Our fathers are familiar with one another, and it was only natural we’d soon bump into each other at social events, and soon we were married. I love the woman and her cooking certainly helped with that, though I obviously can’t deny that our fathers were politicking as well.

Three years have gone by since then, and with two children and a promotion to boot, I’d say that’s a decent start for a career, wouldn’t you? I myself wonder how far it will go. I’m still young, after all.
All three accepted. Dramatis personae updated.

The Wanderer

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:28 pm

I am curious to know if the Japanese have the atomic bomb by now? Also what are the defined borders between the Americas?

Thinking of playing a resistance group that is unconventional, a group of paperclip scientists who fled into Japanese territory. Despite the appearance of having open Japanese loyalty the real loyalty of their "project" isn't to any of the powers that be.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 am

Benuty wrote:I am curious to know if the Japanese have the atomic bomb by now? Also what are the defined borders between the Americas?

Thinking of playing a resistance group that is unconventional, a group of paperclip scientists who fled into Japanese territory. Despite the appearance of having open Japanese loyalty the real loyalty of their "project" isn't to any of the powers that be.
The Japanese nuclear program lags several years behind the Reich, but has stable and abundant supplies of uranium from Australia and Siberia. It is almost certain that the Japanese have developed and tested at least the equivalent of the Heisenberg Device by this point, but the Reich will have advanced significantly further, if only because nuclear research not a crucial objective for the Japanese, who still view the Reich as a partner.

The borders of the American Reich run north to south from the western border of North Dakota to Texas. Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and the fringes of Nevada comprise the Neutral Zone, a buffer state that is largely lawless. The Japanese Pacific States control the West Coast, including Alaska and coastal British Columbia.

Your idea is certainly interesting, however, I am concerned that it lies a bit far afield from the rest of the group. The nexus of the story will be New York, and while the rest of America is indeed in play, to be relevant to the plot any character will need to have some connection to New York City.

If the Pacific States is what interests you, I might suggest an ambassador, either of Japan itself or of the Pacific States, to the American Reich, ostensibly there to smooth over relations and possibly with an ulterior motive. A Japanese Ambassador might have covert connections with the resistance, with instructions to undermine Reich control. A Pacific States ambassador might be some sort of American nationalist or Nazi with ambitions of collaborating with the Reich to cast off Japanese rule and reunite America, even if under the swastika. If not an ambassador, a Japanese spy could lean more heavily into the ulterior motives. Or, a refugee fleeing Asia for political reasons and seeking asylum with the Reich, offering state secrets.

Or, as I'm guessing, if it was the Paperclip aspect which was inspiring you... I'm somewhat stumped there. Perhaps a former Manhattan Project researcher with forged papers is in league with the resistance in NYC, working on some sort of cobbled-together, explosive project?

Ultimately, I've been very impressed with the diversity in interesting character concepts the community has invented so far. I'll let you mull it over, but at the end of the day, it must have relevance to the other characters and to New York City.

The Wanderer

Bolslania
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2018

Postby Bolslania » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:32 am

PLAYER INFORMATION
Preferred NS Name: Bolslania, but people often call me Bols
Roleplay Sample:Imperialisium's "Imperium"
Have you read the OP in its entirety?: Yes
GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: "My name is John Kleinmann"
Age: "I am 23 years of age, I was born in March of 1938"
Sex: "I am quite clearly a man."
Sexual Orientation: "I am fairly confident I am heterosexual"
Ethnicity: "I am American Jewish "
Appearance: Stands 5 feet 11 inches tall, dark blonde hair, steel grey eyes. Physical condition is in good shape, not bulky but still very athletic. Weighs 145 pounds. Can pass himself as Arian with minor cosmetic work. Image (Ignore the American soldier)
Residence: "I tend to reside in Manhattan, but I do not have an official residence."
Occupation: "I am a partisan, fighting against the Nazi oppression"
Family: "My family was taken from me by those SS fucks, I'm all that's left."
Religion: "I have tried to be a good Jew, maintaining my faith. I try to pray every week, but sometimes I can't. I hope God in his wisdom can understand the constraints I sometimes have put on me. I'll keep it a buck, my faith was damn near shattered by the capture and presumed death of my family. But that is the tale of the Torah, maintaining faith regardless of the struggles."
Greatest fear?:"Being caught again. I can't bear to think of it, I do my best to avoid attention unless I'm ready for it, and at all times I carry a cyanide pill. Just in case."
Most intimate ambition?: "I dream to kill Rockwell myself, and free America of the chains that hold it. That "Man" is the embodiment of evil in America, killing his mooks are necessary steps, but killing him will bring about the destabilization of Nazi reign here, and then, then we can finally break free of the Nazis."
Loyalty?: He is loyal to his fellow member of the faith, to the ideal of liberty and prosperity of America, and to the memories of his family.
Three defining traits: Relentlessness, drive, cunning.
Personality:He hates the Nazis with a passion and will not take anyone prisoner who has shown themselves sympathetic to the Nazi cause.
BIOGRAPHY

"So here's my story, in all of it's glory. I was born in a basement in Manhattan, in 1938. I still remember pre-Nazi America, even during the depression I didn't need to worry about some bastard kicking in the door to arrest us for how we'd been born, or some asshole turning us in because he wanted something we had. Jesus, it wasn't perfect, but it was better than this. So much better.

Unfortunately for us all, the Nazis did capture America, and my parents had disguised themselves as Arian Christians to the point everyone who needed to believe it believed it. Hell, they even attended a Protestant Church every Sunday, and when we had guests over they always knew when to say "Heil Hitler, Heil America". Anyway, I spent my teenage years being told I wasn't wanted in society and if anyone ever figured out what I was I would be captured and put in one of those concentration camps, along with all of my family and friends. That fucked me up a bit. Anyway, for 10 years of my life we kept it hidden, that we were Jewish. Eventually someone got lucky. In a very dark sense I suppose. Anyway, some sick fuck turned us in as 'Jews and dissenters'. I don't know how he found out, he probably just wanted our fridge or radio or something like that. So the sick bastard turned us in as Jews. Regardless of his limited evidence, it brought the SS 'round, and my father was shot when he tried to protest, while my mother, sister, and I were hauled into the back of a black car, tortured for a bit, and then put on a train to go to a concentration camp. I managed to escape by jumping out the side through a rotted wood panel, running into the woods. I was able to squeeze out, but as I left I saw a pair of guards come in. Probably prevented anyone else from getting out. I don't know what happened to my parents, but I pray to god that they are still alive. I just fucking wish I could've gotten out with them ya know? I made it out, but my mother and sister got stuck in that damned train. *Shakes head* Anyway, I would spend the next 3 weeks in the wilderness, surviving off of whatever I found. Eventually I made my way back to New York, when I came across a man, seeing my tattered prisoners garb, he tried to call the SS on me. I prevented him from doing so, and occupied his home for 2 days while I recovered. After taking some of his clothes, I went back into the city proper. This was about the time of the NYC Customs House Bombing, when I heard of this resistance organization, I couldn't help myself. I needed to strike back at the people who had taken my family from me. I began asking within Jewish circles, and I got put in contact with the resistance. After a strenuous interrogation I was allowed to join them. Even the grunt hit-jobs were good enough. Throwing a Molotov through the window of a junior SS officer's apartment was satisfying enough for me. Eventually I did it enough times that I got to be a Saboteur , or in layman's terms, I break shit that the Nazi's like. And that's been what I've been doing for several years now. Blowing up cars, assassination's via car-bombs, laying mines, burning documents. Basically anything to fuck with the Nazi's system."

I have had the honor of getting my fellow Jew into the relative safety of the neutral zone. I escorted them all the way from NYC to Montana. If I remember correctly it was a grocer and his wife and 2 kids that were under investigation by the SS, so we killed the guys surveilling them and snuck them out in the dead of night. It was about a two week trip, but we managed it. I returned to NYC shortly after, and here I have remained. I have yet to be captured, but I'll put that to the careful planning of CONTROL, whoever that guy is. Never met him, probably never will, but he's a smart one, no doubt. Anyway, not much besides that."

"Oh, memories of my family? Well besides the traumatic ones like my father getting shot or my mother and sister's face as I fell from the side of the train....Huh, I need to think about this for a moment. Ah, here's a good one. When I was about 7, my family and I went on a roadtrip to Washington D.C to see the Washington Monument and the like. It was a cramped car, but it was a fun trip. My poor sister got a cold along the way, and we spent the better part of 3 hours looking for a place to stay. She recovered after a day, but it was one of those things that goes in the scrapbooks, ya know? Moving on, when we actually got to D.C, luckily with no more incidents, that was the first time I'd really seen the faces of some of the most well regarded leader's of America. The monuments, the museums, the statues, all filled me with what America was, and what it could be. But staying on topic, I got to spend a week with my family, without work or school interrupting us. During the Depression that was one of the few times we got a vacation, so I will probably always remember it."
Last edited by Bolslania on Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:21 am, edited 7 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse