NATION

PASSWORD

Ban of Semi-Automatics and Automatics

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Ban of Semi-Automatics and Automatics

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:11 pm

I have a proposal that actually allows people to own handhled guns but, I think that a proposal banning semi-automatics and automatics from the public would be better. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Ban of Semi-Automatics and Automatics

Postby Tanaara » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:34 pm

The Un Delegate shakes his head sadly "You are forgetting that there are any number of nations that use nothing in the way of 'guns' at all - and with no optionality - you would force them to have guns? Or what about the civilizations that use higher tech weapons than solid slug projectiles, will they then beforece to privide or at least allow revolvers?"

"I've seen your other proposal and though I have not said anything I think it is a poor one indeed, and hopefully will never reach the floor of the WA. And yes Tanaara not only allows 'guns' but for all Citizens owning and being trained with them - proper operation safety, and maintence - is a legal requirement. But your arguement that people have a 'right' to own guns is specious."

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Tanaara wrote:The Un Delegate shakes his head sadly "You are forgetting that there are any number of nations that use nothing in the way of 'guns' at all - and with no optionality - you would force them to have guns? Or what about the civilizations that use higher tech weapons than solid slug projectiles, will they then beforece to privide or at least allow revolvers?"

"I've seen your other proposal and though I have not said anything I think it is a poor one indeed, and hopefully will never reach the floor of the WA. And yes Tanaara not only allows 'guns' but for all Citizens owning and being trained with them - proper operation safety, and maintence - is a legal requirement. But your arguement that people have a 'right' to own guns is specious."

So banning very dangerous guns from the hands of the nations citizens that do use them would be a bad proposal?
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:46 pm

"The optionality clauxe - meaning that it is MANDATORY - means every WA nation will have to ban them / allow them."

"And any one who knows guns, has trained in their use and so on, will tell you it is not the gun, but the person holding the gun. Knives are dangerous weapons, swords are dangerous weapons, Bertie's hands are dangerous weapons and ideals are the most dangerous yet"
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:49 pm

Tanaara wrote:"The optionality clauxe - meaning that it is MANDATORY - means every WA nation will have to ban them / allow them."

"And any one who knows guns, has trained in their use and so on, will tell you it is not the gun, but the person holding the gun. Knives are dangerous weapons, swords are dangerous weapons, Bertie's hands are dangerous weapons and ideals are the most dangerous yet"

So banning these guns wouldn't seriuoslly reduce violent crime?!?

Veilyonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Veilyonia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Tanaara wrote:"The optionality clauxe - meaning that it is MANDATORY - means every WA nation will have to ban them / allow them."

It probably wouldn't. Regardless of the weapon, the criminal will do what he wants to do. Whether he uses an AK-47 or a pistol doesn't really change things. It's the man behind the madness that is more dangerous than the weapon, as Tanaara so eloquently stated.
Previously known as Veilyonia
Political Compass
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" -Gandhi

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:56 pm

Veilyonia wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

It probably wouldn't. Regardless of the weapon, the criminal will do what he wants to do. Whether he uses an AK-47 or a pistol doesn't really change things. It's the man behind the madness that is more dangerous than the weapon, as Tanaara so eloquently stated.

I suppose so. Thus this legislation would be pointless.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:59 pm

Tanaara wrote:The Un Delegate shakes his head sadly "You are forgetting that there are any number of nations that use nothing in the way of 'guns' at all - and with no optionality - you would force them to have guns? Or what about the civilizations that use higher tech weapons than solid slug projectiles, will they then beforece to privide or at least allow revolvers?"

Incorrect. If a nation does not use guns, the resolution simply would not affect said nation.

EDIT-- This idea is lacking however.
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:01 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:

Incorrect. If a nation does not use guns, the resolution simply would not affect said nation.

EDIT-- This idea is lacking however.

It's just a rough (Very rough) start. I have a feeling my "right to own handheld guns" won't even reach the floor. However, I think some restrictions should be taken.

Seculartopia
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seculartopia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:05 pm

Not every countries rights on guns and other things are the same.
LOL....Google Chrome doesnt support the Google Toolbar
|Seculartopia Encyclopedia|
|Ask Seculartopia A Question|

Alliances- International Secular Coalition-AMTF-Comintern Founding Member-Nuclear Arms Assembly

Ifreann Awesomeness
Rhodmire wrote:4/5 for being bold enough to put up what looks like something made from MS Paint.
That takes balls, and you've got them.

All was dark when the armies surrounded the town. There was little bloodshed as they swept in, and they quickly took control. "Success," said a communicator, "a base has been established."

OOC:There. Now, we'll wait for UK to catch up.

^EPIC RP GODMOD FAIL!!

Civics Quiz
You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %
Average score for this quiz during August: 75.6%

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Seculartopia wrote:Not every countries rights on guns and other things are the same.

Yeah but that'sthe point of the WA. To create international laws.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:Not every countries rights on guns and other things are the same.

The point of the WA is to create international laws on international issues. I see no reason to ban all semi-automatics and automatics from the public. You haven't given me a reason as to why it's an international issue, therefore, I find that this isn't even worth the WA's time to consider. Tell me why it's an international issue and then we'll discuss it further. Oh, and a reduction in crime doesn't count. That's not an international issue. Banning the carry of these weapons across borders without proper permits would be an international issue. Banning these weapons from the public of all WA nations is not.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Rutianas wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

The point of the WA is to create international laws on international issues. I see no reason to ban all semi-automatics and automatics from the public. You haven't given me a reason as to why it's an international issue, therefore, I find that this isn't even worth the WA's time to consider. Tell me why it's an international issue and then we'll discuss it further. Oh, and a reduction in crime doesn't count. That's not an international issue. Banning the carry of these weapons across borders without proper permits would be an international issue. Banning these weapons from the public of all WA nations is not.

Ok so how would a gun smugling act even remotely stop people from smuggling guns???????

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:16 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:Ok so how would a gun smugling act even remotely stop people from smuggling guns???????

Mandatory compliance? If gun smuggling is banned, then it's banned.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Rutianas wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:Ok so how would a gun smugling act even remotely stop people from smuggling guns???????

Mandatory compliance? If gun smuggling is banned, then it's banned.

So you mean government smuggling. just becuase it's law doesn't mean a nations citizens will comply with it.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:31 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:So you mean government smuggling. just becuase it's law doesn't mean a nations citizens will comply with it.

OOC: Mandatory compliance means you comply with it no matter what. There's no other option. However, yeah, in nations that RP, there will probably still be smuggling. The point here is that if it's a resolution, you comply unless you can find a way around it.

IC:

I highly doubt there's going to be enough support to ban semi-automatics to the public. Automatics, maybe. But semi-automatics? No way. There's too many nations that already allow it. Seems kind of ridiculous to say 'people have the right to guns', then turn around and say 'but only the guns we want them to have'. Fact is that a pistol is just as dangerous as a semi-automatic or even an automatic. If you're going to ban semi-automatics and automatics, you'd better show concrete research as to how they're more dangerous than a run of the mill pistol and why the public shouldn't have it. In nations that allow gun sales to the public, for every one kook that shoots people with a gun, there's likely five hundred thousand others, or more in nations with large populations, that have guns and do not shoot another individual. Why? They know better. Don't punish the masses because some people went insane and started shooting.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Would the honored ambassador please place the text of the proposal before us for evaluation? Honestly, the standards lately...:grumble:

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Great Chiefdom of Krioval

OOC: Please, please, please post the text! If I (as a player) have to dig for it, that's an automatic strike against the proposal.

Carbandia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Carbandia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Hell no.
-President Eduard Gurashoy of Carbandia

New Xania
Envoy

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Xania » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:16 pm

If you ban guns people will use knives. If you ban knives, people will use their hands. If you ban hands, you are crazy.

CIB EMPIRE
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby CIB EMPIRE » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:19 pm

when will you guys learn that you will never ban guns in the WA
Join the Anti World Assembly

The AWA is dedicated to bringing down the World Assembly. Nations need the WA's permission to invading a region because only WA nations may invade!The WA is able to condemn non members but not vice versa. Members are forced to comply with the many unjust laws the WA imposes onto them. No one truely runs their own nation, you serve as a mere puppet of the WA unless you decide to do something about it! Others say it cant be done but why do so many try and stop us? The answer is simple, the WA can be brought down if enough nations band together and stand against it! The AWA is commited to uniteing all regions that are against the WA because a unified force will be unstopable! So join us and become part of the biggest thing that this game has ever seen!

axmanland
Attaché

Founded: Apr 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby axmanland » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:44 am

We of Axmanland deplore this assault on the freedom of our citizens to carry unfeasibly potent weaponry.

Here in Axmanland crime is practically nonexistent partly through froward looking social policies partly through the disproportionate response squads the police run........but mostly its because the average Axmanlandian citizen goes about his daily life more well armed than some countries soldiers.

In short we cannot support a proposal that would mean that criminals had more access to vastly destructive weaponry than our common citizens.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:39 am

What is with this recent spate of unprofitable proposals? If we didn't know better, we would have to say that there is a strong anti-capitalist mentality pervading the hallow halls of this noble institution,
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Murray the Evil Skull
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Murray the Evil Skull » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:05 am

Meekinos wrote:What is with this recent spate of unprofitable proposals? If we didn't know better, we would have to say that there is a strong anti-capitalist mentality pervading the hallow halls of this noble institution,

Horrible isn't it, Mortal. And not only are they unprofitable, but fluffy, and softer than a sneakerfull of grits. I can't find any proposals even remotely EVIL enough to get my support.

I have a proposal that actually allows people to own handhled guns but, I think that a proposal banning semi-automatics and automatics from the public would be better. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

This isn't any better, mortal, as there are some pretty powerful wheelguns out there as well, such as the S&W .500 magnum. It would be better to drop this and move on.
Last edited by Murray the Evil Skull on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murray the Evil Skull for WA Leader!
In your heart, you know He's right!

Warning: the player posts in Character, and will respond in Character.

Altani WA Mission
Secretary

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Altani WA Mission » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:27 pm

Arjel Khazaran, Security Liaison and Deputy Ambassador for the Altani Federation, pats a large and rather ominous-looking firearm on his desk.

It has been said many times, in many languages, in many nations. But I think it's appropriate here once again: "Come and take it."

In other words, the Federation will never support a proposal like this. Ever.
The WA Mission of the Altani Federation
Honor above all else!

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:35 pm

Gods! I thought I told you to post the damn text of your proposal and...oh. That was another nation and another debate. Oops. They all start to run together sometimes, don't they. Well, one should still post one's proposal if one wants it debated.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Great Chiefdom of Krioval

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly