NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft 2] Neutral Space Act (renamed Safer Space Act)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 17, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

[Draft 2] Neutral Space Act (renamed Safer Space Act)

Postby Tezikstan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Draft 2
Safer Space Act

Category: Global Disarmament
Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging the need for space to be a safe territory open for exploration and free of mass destruction.

Acknowledging that many General Assembly resolutions about space have been passed and later repealed.

Hoping to pass an act that can survive the test of time and be a baseline for future space resolutions.

This act defines space as any area beyond a planet's atmosphere.

This act defines a space weapon of mass destruction as a weapon that is used from space to attack a planet's atmosphere, geography, hydrosphere, or a weapon whose main purpose is to attack a planet’s wildlife or local population.

Requirements:
I. This act requires that no space weapons of mass destruction be made or used.
II. No weapon used from space may attack a planet anywhere except for military objectives or active enemy military personnel.
III. This act sets up the Neutral Space Committee (NSC) to monitor violations and fine nations who violate clause (I) or (II) of the requirements.

This act urges:
I. nations to destroy any space weapons of mass destruction.
II. nations fund private or government space exploration.
III. Include people from other nations in space exploration missions.

This act does not impact:
I. This act does not impact weapons that are used in space to destroy other objects in space.
II. This act does not impact weapons that attack objects in space from the surface of a planet.
III. This act does not impact wars.

Hereby the General Assembly passes the Safer Space Act.

OOC: I changed the name as the act has been almost completely reworked and I believed needed to be renamed. The second draft has also been downgraded to a mild strength as it now just tries to keep planets safe from weapons in space. I think. these changes account for muti-planet or space nations and took most recommendations from the first draft.

Category: Global disarmament strength: significant or strong
Neutral Space Act

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging the need for space to be a neutral territory open for exploration and free of war.

Acknowledging that many General Assembly resolutions about space have been passed and later repealed.

Hoping to pass an act that can survive the test of time and be a baseline for future space resolutions.

This Act defines space as any area beyond the planet's atmosphere.

Requirements:
I. That no part of space shall be owned by any nation or any company.
II. This act requires that no weapons be made that can be used in space.
III. This act requires that no wars shall be fought in space.
IV. This act sets up the Neutral Space Committee (NSC) to monitor violations and keep space neutrality.

This act urges:
I. nations to destroy any space weapons that were made before this act was passed.
II. nations fund private or government space exploration.
III. Include people from other nations in space exploration missions.

This act does not:
I. Impact exploration by a nation or a company as long as it does not claim to own any part of space.
II. Impact any parts of space claimed or owned before this act was passed.
III. Impact colonization that is open to every nation and is not owned by a company or nation.

Hereby the General Assembly passes the Neutral Space Act.

This is one of my first acts and I also need help deciding if it's strong or significant.
Thanks for taking your time to read it in the first place.
Last edited by Tezikstan on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:23 pm

“Although this proposal would work well for a planet-bound nation such as Kenmoria, I feel that other nations might not look upon it too kindly, given that there are many states in the WA which consist on multiple planets or indeed multiple solar systems. For these nations, therefore, mandating neutrality in space is essentially mandating neutrality in the middle of their territory, which doesn’t work for obvious reasons.

The draft itself Is quite well-written, especially for a fairly new delegation such as yourself, but this topic is one in which the rather exotic, at least when from my first impressions, nature of some of the nations here does pose an issue.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tezikstan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:33 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Although this proposal would work well for a planet-bound nation such as Kenmoria, I feel that other nations might not look upon it too kindly, given that there are many states in the WA which consist on multiple planets or indeed multiple solar systems. For these nations, therefore, mandating neutrality in space is essentially mandating neutrality in the middle of their territory, which doesn’t work for obvious reasons.

The draft itself Is quite well-written, especially for a fairly new delegation such as yourself, but this topic is one in which the rather exotic, at least
when from my first impressions, nature of some of the nations here does pose an issue.”

I do have to agree that the resolution could be a problem with nations that have multiple planets as it would essentially ban wars from occurring in some nations altogether. Thanks for your input as it is very valuable and I see a possible compromise. Would getting rid of clause II in the requirements and changing clause III in the requirements to a no first strike rule make it better for nations that take up multiple planets?

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:12 pm

Tezikstan wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“Although this proposal would work well for a planet-bound nation such as Kenmoria, I feel that other nations might not look upon it too kindly, given that there are many states in the WA which consist on multiple planets or indeed multiple solar systems. For these nations, therefore, mandating neutrality in space is essentially mandating neutrality in the middle of their territory, which doesn’t work for obvious reasons.

The draft itself Is quite well-written, especially for a fairly new delegation such as yourself, but this topic is one in which the rather exotic, at least
when from my first impressions, nature of some of the nations here does pose an issue.”

I do have to agree that the resolution could be a problem with nations that have multiple planets as it would essentially ban wars from occurring in some nations altogether. Thanks for your input as it is very valuable and I see a possible compromise. Would getting rid of clause II in the requirements and changing clause III in the requirements to a no first strike rule make it better for nations that take up multiple planets?

OOC: Clause I has to go as well. There are territorial waters and there is territorial space. Thought to be completely fair, this entire proposal is non sense in the presence of multi-planetery nations
Last edited by Ardiveds on Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tezikstan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:42 pm

Ardiveds wrote:
Tezikstan wrote:I do have to agree that the resolution could be a problem with nations that have multiple planets as it would essentially ban wars from occurring in some nations altogether. Thanks for your input as it is very valuable and I see a possible compromise. Would getting rid of clause II in the requirements and changing clause III in the requirements to a no first strike rule make it better for nations that take up multiple planets?

OOC: Clause I has to go as well. There are territorial waters and there is territorial space. Thought to be completely fair, this entire proposal is non sense in the presence of multi-planetery nations

OOC: I wasn't considering multi-planet nations when writing the proposal and the proposal doesn't work very well with multi-planet nations I do have to agree. I might be able to change it to a mild resolution that just urges nations to do things so that it can still work with multi-planet nations.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:04 am

Tezikstan wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:OOC: Clause I has to go as well. There are territorial waters and there is territorial space. Thought to be completely fair, this entire proposal is non sense in the presence of multi-planetery nations

OOC: I wasn't considering multi-planet nations when writing the proposal and the proposal doesn't work very well with multi-planet nations I do have to agree. I might be able to change it to a mild resolution that just urges nations to do things so that it can still work with multi-planet nations.

(OOC: Because of how integral territorial space can be to certain nations, any sort of mandate for neutrality wouldn’t be feasible. Although it might be possible to rework this draft into something which covers a far less broad topic, I don’t think that doing so would be any easier than starting from scratch on a different area. Your execution is quite good, but the idea of regulating space is one that has been deliberates avoided recently because of the near-impossibility.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tezikstan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:49 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Tezikstan wrote:OOC: I wasn't considering multi-planet nations when writing the proposal and the proposal doesn't work very well with multi-planet nations I do have to agree. I might be able to change it to a mild resolution that just urges nations to do things so that it can still work with multi-planet nations.

(OOC: Because of how integral territorial space can be to certain nations, any sort of mandate for neutrality wouldn’t be feasible. Although it might be possible to rework this draft into something which covers a far less broad topic, I don’t think that doing so would be any easier than starting from scratch on a different area. Your execution is quite good, but the idea of regulating space is one that has been deliberates avoided recently because of the near-impossibility.)

OOC: Honestly I thought that all nations were on the same unnamed planet since it was called a world assembly but it does seem impossible to regulate space if that is not the case.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Tezikstan wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Because of how integral territorial space can be to certain nations, any sort of mandate for neutrality wouldn’t be feasible. Although it might be possible to rework this draft into something which covers a far less broad topic, I don’t think that doing so would be any easier than starting from scratch on a different area. Your execution is quite good, but the idea of regulating space is one that has been deliberates avoided recently because of the near-impossibility.)

OOC: Honestly I thought that all nations were on the same unnamed planet since it was called a world assembly but it does seem impossible to regulate space if that is not the case.

OOC: If all nations were on one earth sized world every nation would be about the size of Liechtenstein.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tezikstan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:08 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Tezikstan wrote:OOC: Honestly I thought that all nations were on the same unnamed planet since it was called a world assembly but it does seem impossible to regulate space if that is not the case.

OOC: If all nations were on one earth sized world every nation would be about the size of Liechtenstein.

OOC: Now I see why all the space GA resolutions have been repealed.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:04 am

OOC: Requirement IV sounds an awful lot like it would violate GAR #2 (see Article 10).

IC:

"And what, pray tell, are we supposed to do about pirates and uranium smugglers once we've done away with spaceship armaments, ambassador? Even quaint 20th-century entertainments like Wagon Train to the Stars weren't so optimistic about the conduct of people in space. It would be nice to prioritize diplomatic solutions to interplanetary problems, certainly. This brute force measure isn't the way to go about it, however."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tezikstan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:29 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: Requirement IV sounds an awful lot like it would violate GAR #2 (see Article 10).

IC:

"And what, pray tell, are we supposed to do about pirates and uranium smugglers once we've done away with spaceship armaments, ambassador? Even quaint 20th-century entertainments like Wagon Train to the Stars weren't so optimistic about the conduct of people in space. It would be nice to prioritize diplomatic solutions to interplanetary problems, certainly. This brute force measure isn't the way to go about it, however."

OOC: Maybe I need to reword it as I didn't mean for them to intervene in conflict but to just fine/punish nations that violate the act. I might reword it if anything in this act manages to survive lol.

IC: "Ambassador, I'm thinking about rewording the act to possibly being just weapons that can cause massive damage to planets. I understand that space pirates may be a problem to multiple nations and nations need ways to respond."

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:44 am

Tezikstan wrote:
IC: "Ambassador, I'm thinking about rewording the act to possibly being just weapons that can cause massive damage to planets. I understand that space pirates may be a problem to multiple nations and nations need ways to respond."

"Ambassador, while our nation certainly does not possess the technology to make anything that destructive, we suggest mandating that such weapons not be used against members instead of banning them. I only say this because nothing you mandate can or will effect non members and I hope you understand that a weapon that can destroy planets is a rather significant advantage in wars."
Last edited by Ardiveds on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tezikstan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Ardiveds wrote:
Tezikstan wrote:

"Ambassador, while our nation certainly does not possess the technology to make anything that destructive, we suggest mandating that such weapons not be used against members instead of banning them. I only say this because nothing you mandate can or will effect non members and I hope you understand that a weapon that can destroy planets is a rather significant advantage in wars."

IC: "Ambassador I understand your concern with non-member nations using weapons of mass destruction however I think that banning world assembly nations from building weapons of mass destruction in the first place will help keep the universe in a more safe environment and also many nations are nowhere near the technological level of creating weapons of mass destruction. Members being able to use weapons of mass destruction on non-member states will led to lots of destruction for the local populace that are not involved with their government being in the WA or not being in the WA and would led to lots of unnecessary suffering. Letting WA nations attack non WA nations with these weapons will led to the WA nations being as bad as the non WA nations using these weapons but that is just my opinion ambassador."

Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tezikstan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:38 pm

OOC: I'm thinking the second draft should be out tonight or tomorrow.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:21 pm

Tezikstan wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:"Ambassador, while our nation certainly does not possess the technology to make anything that destructive, we suggest mandating that such weapons not be used against members instead of banning them. I only say this because nothing you mandate can or will effect non members and I hope you understand that a weapon that can destroy planets is a rather significant advantage in wars."

IC: "Ambassador I understand your concern with non-member nations using weapons of mass destruction however I think that banning world assembly nations from building weapons of mass destruction in the first place will help keep the universe in a more safe environment and also many nations are nowhere near the technological level of creating weapons of mass destruction. Members being able to use weapons of mass destruction on non-member states will led to lots of destruction for the local populace that are not involved with their government being in the WA or not being in the WA and would led to lots of unnecessary suffering. Letting WA nations attack non WA nations with these weapons will led to the WA nations being as bad as the non WA nations using these weapons but that is just my opinion ambassador."

OOC: On the topic of "weapons of mass destruction," please see GA Resolutions #10 and #272. They can be found in the Passed Resolutions thread or by clicking the "Extant Resolutions" link in my signature below. If OTOH you literally mean weapons capable of blowing up planets, feel free to proceed but be advised the WA hasn't had much patience, historically, for resolutions dealing with too far "out there" sci-fi content (I believe #354 and #355 are the only ones that fit a setting beyond the contemporary right now timeframe, unless we passed that cloning thing).
Ambassador Pro Tem
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:11 am

OOC: I suggest keeping your latest draft above older drafts and also spoilering older drafts to avoid confusion.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:00 am

It's not the best choice, it's Spacer's Choice.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:06 am

The current title of this thread is "[Draft 2] Neutral Space Act (renamed Safer Space Act)". Could you not just be consistent in referring to this proposal as the Safer Space Act?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tezikstan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Tinhampton wrote:The current title of this thread is "[Draft 2] Neutral Space Act (renamed Safer Space Act)". Could you not just be consistent in referring to this proposal as the Safer Space Act?

OOC: It helps people that looked at the first draft (Neutral Space Act) know that it is the same topic page and not a new topic page with a similar name.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:45 pm

"Opposed. The C.D.S.P. is perfectly happy to exclusively control the space above our borders, and see no reason to share with other nations as though they have an "equal claim" to it. They would complain were we to park a carrier group off their coast. Space is no different."

OOC: You can probably leave the language regarding lawful military targets out entirely. Extant resolutions cover the topic, and the extraterrestrial nature of warfare would not change this.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:08 pm

Ardiveds wrote:OOC: I suggest keeping your latest draft above older drafts and also spoilering older drafts to avoid confusion.

Seconded.

Use this format:
Code: Select all
[spoiler]
Put the first draft, and other older drafts, between these spoiler tags.

Lorem ipsum!

Crispy extra, if tasty powerful cool. Challenge handcrafted effervescent golden exotic advertising any mountain extra ocean appreciate simulated satisfied. Big listen in successful blend creamy, goodbye that try triple, wherever effervescent inside. $19.95 just latest exotic fun monster goodbye grown. Get much, whenever, deserve $19.95 most, bigger deal absorbent find. Hurry, warm huggable clinically win hearty, feedback advertising feedback plush clean made, grown. Go remarkable outlasts revolutionary, very, polished sure, take mouthwatering open tasting just pure. Cool colossal this buy rosy improved, mega fast.

"Marketing" filler text generated by [url=http://andymatthews.net/code/fillertext/marketing.cfm]this page[/url].
[/spoiler]

The above contents of the Code box will yield:

Lorem ipsum!

Crispy extra, if tasty powerful cool. Challenge handcrafted effervescent golden exotic advertising any mountain extra ocean appreciate simulated satisfied. Big listen in successful blend creamy, goodbye that try triple, wherever effervescent inside. $19.95 just latest exotic fun monster goodbye grown. Get much, whenever, deserve $19.95 most, bigger deal absorbent find. Hurry, warm huggable clinically win hearty, feedback advertising feedback plush clean made, grown. Go remarkable outlasts revolutionary, very, polished sure, take mouthwatering open tasting just pure. Cool colossal this buy rosy improved, mega fast.

"Marketing" filler text generated by this page.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tezikstan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed. The C.D.S.P. is perfectly happy to exclusively control the space above our borders, and see no reason to share with other nations as though they have an "equal claim" to it. They would complain were we to park a carrier group off their coast. Space is no different."

OOC: You can probably leave the language regarding lawful military targets out entirely. Extant resolutions cover the topic, and the extraterrestrial nature of warfare would not change this.

OOC: Thanks for the feedback and I will probably change this in the next draft.

Tezikstan
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tezikstan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:47 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:OOC: I suggest keeping your latest draft above older drafts and also spoilering older drafts to avoid confusion.

Seconded.

Use this format:
Code: Select all
[spoiler]

Lorem ipsum!

"Marketing" filler text generated by [url=http://andymatthews.net/code/fillertext/marketing.cfm]this page[/url].
[/spoiler]

The above contents of the Code box will yield:

Lorem ipsum!

"Marketing" filler text generated by this page.

OOC: Thanks that helped a lot.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly