NATION

PASSWORD

Worst movie you have ever seen

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Outer Bratorke
Secretary

Founded: Nov 08, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Bratorke » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:55 am

Maybe not the worse, but the worse movie adaptation ever was the Last Air bender.

Terrible acting, not saying character names right, making earth bending a joke, and changing the race of every group for no reason.

As someone who watch Air bender from when it began to when it ended as a kid, it was liking waking your childhood house burn down.
Last edited by Outer Bratorke on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.politiscales.net/en_US/resul ... 3&comp=100

"Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." Tom Leher

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:40 pm

Outer Bratorke wrote:Maybe not the worse, but the worse movie adaptation ever was the Last Air bender.

Terrible acting, not saying character names right, making earth bending a joke, and changing the race of every group for no reason.

As someone who watch Air bender from when it began to when it ended as a kid, it was liking waking your childhood house burn down.

Normally I sort of roll my eyes when someone brings up a Hollywood blockbuster as "the worst movie evah!" No matter how bad they are, they're not going to be as bad as something like Red Zone Cuba or Manos: The Hands of Fate.

But The Last Airbender is kind of an exception to that. It was such a crushing betrayal to see this beloved franchise handled with the level of care you'd expect from one of the worse episodes of Star Trek: Voyager.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:15 pm

Outer Bratorke wrote:Maybe not the worse, but the worse movie adaptation ever was the Last Air bender.

Ah yes. Keep the earthbenders in a prison made of.. earth. And require 9 of them to move a small pebble.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:25 pm

Ah yes, the movie that required the world conquering totalitarian army to run around everywhere with braziers otherwise they wouldn't be able to use their mediocre magic powers.

Such a dumb movie. Such an utter betrayal of an excellent TV series. Never forgive. Never forget.

PS EDIT: Of course, normally my answer for this question would probably be some of the seriously awful Christian movies that have been made with disgusting graphics but you see the thing is, those ones and other bad movies you kinda get because movie making is hard. Avatar meanwhile already had a rock solid base, a complex lore that should have been red meat for any competent studio... and it was made by an otherwise extremely competent studio. It's just unforgivable. It's simply awful, not only for what it was but for what it represents. It was trash, and it absolutely should not have been.
Last edited by Chan Island on Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:39 pm

There is no Last Airbender Movie in Ba Sing Se....
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:42 pm

Aeritai wrote:

Yeah, it's such a shame they never made any follow-up series either...

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:49 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Aeritai wrote:

Yeah, it's such a shame they never made any follow-up series either...

Happily, they did make a short two-episode prequel about the first Avatar, Wan - which was pretty nice.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:52 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Yeah, it's such a shame they never made any follow-up series either...

Happily, they did make a short two-episode prequel about the first Avatar, Wan - which was pretty nice.

Yes it was.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:55 pm

I've only ever seen the movie and it wasn't horrible imo, just forgettable. If I think really hard I can vaguely remember some bits and pieces. I think someone was frozen in time?
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:

I've only ever seen the movie and it wasn't horrible imo, just forgettable. If I think really hard I can vaguely remember some bits and pieces. I think someone was frozen in time?

You've spoken like someone who didn't watch the original cartoon series. That TV show is still widely held up as one of the best examples of world building and story telling in all of television history. I mean it, and I'm not just talking about fans either. It's talked about in actual courses on creative writing.

It's when you watch that movie in a context where the bar so high, with such utter, consistent excellency, that the crushing mediocreness of the film becomes apparent. It's not about the film itself. It never was. It's about what it represents.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Qhevak
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Qhevak » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:17 am

Objectively worst, Birdemic, but Birdemic is also absolutely amazing.

Worst relative to my expectations, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Just absolutely godawful pacing, a plot ripped off straight from ANH, and some of the worst understanding of scale I've seen in sci-fi.
The Oortian Community of Qhevak
Distributed association of posthuman Oort cloud space habitats in deep Scutum Centaurus - basically all of these ideologies living together. A Power 5 civilization according to this index. Does not use NS stats. Wiki here.
Aerospace Engineering grad student, currently doing work on smallsat and sounding rocket projects.
Previously Gogol Transcendancy, Ibis Galaxy Alliance.
N&I RP in a shellnut

Langenia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Langenia » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Ugh, Sharkboy and Lavagirl left me scarred for a while. I never want to see that again.
LANGENIA
Fatherland, Unity, and Valor
Overview|Armed Forces|LangenArPort| Incumbent President: Nicolas Furia
Langenia is an MT Latin American nation, the result of European powers not successfully colonizing the region but leaving their mark. We outpollo PolloHut.
Military oversight? Checks on executive powers? Nah.
Our foreign policy: a t t a c k. Also, war?

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:The Emoji Movie. It was truly terrible, the unfunniest movie probably ordered by out of touch executives for a ‘Fellow Kids’ moment.

United Passions is probably worse. To me, it’s nothing more than actually trying to pervert the course of justice: for that reason there was a good chance that a country would ban the film, but eventually it simply skipped the theatres in many countries due to the backlash.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Pixels
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:51 pm

Langenia wrote:Ugh, Sharkboy and Lavagirl left me scarred for a while. I never want to see that again.

It's time for Sharkboy and Lavagirl 2: electric boogaloo

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:52 pm

Oh god, it sucked.

Qhevak wrote:Objectively worst, Birdemic, but Birdemic is also absolutely amazing.

Worst relative to my expectations, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Just absolutely godawful pacing, a plot ripped off straight from ANH, and some of the worst understanding of scale I've seen in sci-fi.

Plus, Ben Solo, the objectively worst Gary Stu in Star Wars canon.

Wait, have I seriously not posted my opinion here? Jeez.

Dumb and Dumber Too. Oh my god, that movie was so bad I had to turn it off halfway. It's not even "so bad it's good," like The Room.
Last edited by Atheris on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Kargintina the Third
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina the Third » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:39 pm

Hard Kill recently released on Netflix is definitely high on the list. I didn’t even make it to the end.
Representative Earl Tenson (R-MT-All)

Senate candidate Christina Mudale (R-AL)

Senator Nickolai Dernilski (D-OH)

Houston Mayor Harold Baines (D-TX)

Kraljevstvo Rata
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kraljevstvo Rata » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:03 pm

Alien: Covenant. There's so little substance to this 2 hour movie.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:27 pm

Langenia wrote:Ugh, Sharkboy and Lavagirl left me scarred for a while. I never want to see that again.

I saw that movie when it first came out. 6 year old me thought it was the best thing ever :lol2:
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:02 am

While not as grave a sin as the rape of the last airbender, the real life Mulan remake is also... wow.
Main gripe ? Its message is that the highest thing a woman who does not have special magic gifts from birth can achieve is becoming someones wife.
Contrast that to the cartoon, which showed a normal girl becoming great through hard work and dedication, with many failures on the way.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:35 am

Kraljevstvo Rata wrote:Alien: Covenant. There's so little substance to this 2 hour movie.

I mean, Prometheus exists too, so...

If you are a fan of the Alien franchise everything past the sequel has been a disappointment, so you should be used to it by now.

And if you're not a fan of the Alien franchise then there are soooo many worse movies out there.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:19 am

Dead Alive was pretty horrible. It was a good kind of bad. Also Killer Clowns from Outer Space and Morons from Outer Space. I like stupidly funny films. I loved Caveman with Ringo Starr. These are in very poor taste.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2020

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:13 am

The Alma Mater wrote:While not as grave a sin as the rape of the last airbender, the real life Mulan remake is also... wow.
Main gripe ? Its message is that the highest thing a woman who does not have special magic gifts from birth can achieve is becoming someones wife.
Contrast that to the cartoon, which showed a normal girl becoming great through hard work and dedication, with many failures on the way.

Although I would argue that's a problem,
it's not a big problem compared to what the Mulan movie represents: Disney, is becoming more and more stagnant and unoriginal with every remake they push out.
bruz

Not affiliated with Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company
or any associated firms

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:47 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:While not as grave a sin as the rape of the last airbender, the real life Mulan remake is also... wow.

Although I would argue that's a problem,
it's not a big problem compared to what the Mulan movie represents: Disney, is becoming more and more stagnant and unoriginal with every remake they push out.

The production of the movie was also filled with political controversy that is best suited for NSG.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Pantos
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Pantos » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:45 am

You're gonna hate me for this but I absolutely hate LOTR. The movie trilogy is among the most boring things I've ever seen and even the books weren't my cup of tea. Like, at all.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction