NATION

PASSWORD

How Tall are You, NSG? A New Height Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

How tall are you? (by gender)

Less than 162cm/5'3.5" (female or gender diverse)
4%
163 - 170cm/5'7" (female or gender diverse)
5%
More than 171cm (female or gender diverse)
5%
Less than 158cm/5'2" (male)
2%
159-170cm/5'7" (male)
12%
171-176/5'9" (male)
17%
177-182/5'11" (male)
27%
183-188/6'2" (male)
17%
189-194/6'4" (male)
8%
More than 195cm/6'4.5" (male)
3%

Total votes : 115

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

How Tall are You, NSG? A New Height Thread

Postby Forsher » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:33 am

Height's been on my mind lately. First, there was Poor diet: Children 20cm shorter as a result, analysis says some days back. Then I went to the doctor the other day and he goes "do you play basketball?" (I'm 207cm tall) to which the answer is no... I'm actually pretty bad at basketball, or was last time I played it and I see no reason why not playing for years would've helped there (I got my revenge though... one Covid swab later and, voila, free trip). And then I go to the NZHerald earlier today and one of the top links was about a basketball transaction involving, obviously, Steven Adams. So, why not make a new height thread, says I.

Naturally, a height thread ought to have a poll and so I have devised one. There are fewer options for female and gender diverse heights because NSG appears to remain a vastly male site. Hopefully no height category is too much bigger than the others (except the last two). Or, more accurately, the people who answer polls on NSG are, anyway. But if you're interested in global heights over time, have a look at the supplementary graphs from that study the BBC was reporting on. Also, can I just say that it's really interesting that this study was also covered here but under this title: Pacific Island and New Zealand children among fattest and least healthy, new study says.

Anyway... some quick talking points:

• do you feel tall?
  • does height discrimination exist?
  • is there an ideal height? does it differ between men and women?
  • should Wolverine be played by a short or average height actor in the MCU?

My answers:

• yes
  • I suspect that the ideal height (benefit vs height) is something like a negative parabola... that "too tall" very much exists... but obviously people are more interested in the more common state of being shorter than the ideal
  • I would say 191cm/6'3" for men (if your foot is less than a UK 12), no idea for women... aeroplanes might be an issue but ordinary public transport should be fine
  • yes

Obviously anything else height related is fair game... maybe you're interested in the midpoint prediction a basic OLS of Galton's height data would have for you. Well, don't worry, I gotchu:

52.24961 + 0.40598 * (your father's height in cm) + 0.32150 * (your mother's height in cm) - 13.27392 (only make this subtraction if you were born female)

Also, this.
Last edited by Forsher on Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:42 am

Anyway... some quick talking points:

do you feel tall?
does height discrimination exist?
is there an ideal height? does it differ between men and women?
should Wolverine be played by a short or average height actor in the MCU?

-Do I feel tall? No. Not at all. I’m 149.86cm/4’11ft. The women in my family tend to be short.
-Existence of height discrimination? I’ve seen it happen to men, especially.
-Ideal height? I guess it’s a personal take. I frankly don’t think there’s one myself.
-Differing between men and women? In my experience, yes. It’s seen as cute when women are small, but men who are short of stature tend to be mocked.
-On Wolverine? Whatever’s best for the role, I suppose. I guess average height may be best but I’m sure it’ll all come down to acting chops.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:44 am

I’m a 5’4” woman. I’m technically average, but I feel short.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Mandicoria
Senator

Founded: Sep 10, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Mandicoria » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:51 am

5'9, in other words taller than 6'3. Stay seething manlets.
silly little creature, she/they
apologies if im like, really aloof. this site has an affect on me.
What if Humanity was as Important as it thought it was... But it turned out to not be a very good thing.
also i rip off warhammer, DOOM, and halo unapologetically
Highly suggest listening to this when reading anything I post about this nation.
A [1.18] civilization, according to this index.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:59 am

Do I feel tall? No.

Does height discrimination exist? I dunno, maybe? The internet tells me as a short male I'm condemned to the live of an incel but the internet also tells me that I'm most like Jon Snow so... yeah.

Is there an ideal height? Whatever height you're comfortable with I'd imagine. Personally I like my current level of stature.

I have no opinion on Wolverine. I just know the corrupt movie executives will overlook someone who can genuinely sprout claws from their knuckles for some rugged moviestar, as always. :p

Neo Prutenia
Minister

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Neo Prutenia » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:15 am

I don't feel tall, but I am tall. 192 cm. I felt tall back in my home country, since I was always the tallest in my age group. Since I've moved to my new home, I don't feel so tall anymore. Barely above average. Men in my age group and younger are basically all around my height or taller. @_@ It's that one vacation to the Netherlands all over again, every day

Height discrimination definitely exists. It might however be cultural or differ depending on where you are. I've noticed people assume you're dumber if you're tall in some places, or that you're somehow more resilient. I've often gotten "you're a big guy, just toughen up". I'm not magically less affected by pain or diseases just because I'm tall. Even had this problem with physicians. And some family members (we're a tall bunch :) ) had similar issues, particularly when it came to dosage for medicine (tall women in my family had this problem more often then men however). And it is more difficult to find appropriately sized anything, e.g. shoes, trousers, etc. Especially nice looking stuff. They're making standardised sizes still based on average measures from decades ago. And no one takes short people seriously. I've seen more than once someone's grievances being dismissed with a "you're cute when you're angry".

The ideal height is and always was whatever the local average is. Maybe a bit taller for men and a bit smaller for women.

I couldn't care less who should play Wolverine in films... Whoever's good for the role. Idris Elba. He should play him, he's a good actor
Factbook: The Prut Meritocracy | Prutopaedia (TG feedback appreciated) | National Policies | φ(._.) - Shoot me a TG if you want to RP with me

Always assume I'm the exact same tech level/reality as you are, with access to the exact same technology/abilities; I just happen to prefer very strict MT. IC name: Prut Meritocracy

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:26 am

6'2.. do I feel tall.. well I live in HK so.. yes. I've turned round to find people jumping up and down as their friend takes a photo, I've been at a festival where a girl said on the phone 'I'm stood next to a tall guy, can you see him?', I did not know her.

Old ladies grab my sleeve and ask me to get stuff from supermarket shelves.
Last edited by Bombadil on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Rhine Kingdom
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 17, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Rhine Kingdom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:44 am

Alright, I'll bite.

Do you feel tall?
No, not at all. I'm short for a man.

Does height discrimination exist?
It depends on who you ask. I don't believe it's that much of an issue in America, but I have seen it to people.

Is there an ideal height? Does it differ between men and women?
I don't really think so. I'd say that ideal hight depends on what you want in a man or a woman. Personally, I don't really care.

Should Wolverine be played by a short or average height actor in the MCU?
When's the last time I've seen Wolverine?
Last edited by Rhine Kingdom on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbies: Sitting around
Currently a slave to: the rock genre
Rhine Kingdom does not reflect my real-world views

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 am

My dad is 6’4” so I thought I was set, height wise. Didn’t take into account my 5’2” mom. I landed at the literal average of 5’10” but my 5’9” friends insist I’m 5’11”...like I’d lie down. I wanted at least 6’.

I feel like what I am, average. If you’re shorter than me, you’re short, you’re taller you’re tall. Not really but that’s about how I feel if I’m not thinking about it.

I don’t think anyone’s make or break decision about me has been based on height. I’ve given short and tall people a hard time but try not to that much because people sometimes act cool with shit when they aren’t because they don’t want to be a nuisance but then I’m the nuisance.

And I think they should give Wolverine a rest for a bit since he was the center of the Fox Mutantverse.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Free Las Pinas
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Free Las Pinas » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:45 am

I'm 5'7 :)

I do feel tall, because I live in the Philippines, wherein I'm taller than my friends' dads. I'm also taller than an uncle, and in 2017, I remember saying I was 5'4, and he argued that he was 5'4, so I must be wrong! Though while I feel tall, I know I could be taller.

Height discrimination probably does exist, but I've only ever seen it in a playful way. However, I did hear something similar about women under 5'3 and men under 5'5 not being accepted for Aircrew.

I personally don't have an ideal height, but I don't judge others for that, simply because it's typically easier to be the "big spoon" if you're taller.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:05 am

To answer the questions

1) It depends where I am, in truth. In Britain I feel thoroughly average, if perhaps maybe a bit short. But when I travel abroad, especially in the third world or in East Asia, I feel very tall indeed. That sentiment is a very relative one therefore, in my experience.

2) Of course it does. Just ask any short man. Mockery, infantilisation and dismissal are common. Many facilities are built with the average in mind; like supermarket shelves, bathroom stalls, cars...

In addition, there is a very real world social penalty to being short. For example, in every US presidential election since the foundation of the country, the taller candidate has won more than 2/3rds of the time. Taller people in general are more likely to get positions of power.

3) I don't think there is a precise 'ideal' height. It really depends on what you're doing and what situation. Want to be an astronaut? Then it pays to be shorter than average. Basketball player? Then being taller is a massive benefit. Want to be taken seriously in an election? Then being short is not a good trait. Want to avoid getting hit in the head by a doorframe? Then being tall is bad news.

4) Doesn't really matter. The amount of movie magic that exists these days make the actor's physical height be a mere academic question.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Innovationist Eurasia
Secretary

Founded: Aug 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Innovationist Eurasia » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:11 am

1. do you feel tall?
2. does height discrimination exist?
3. is there an ideal height? does it differ between men and women?
4. should Wolverine be played by a short or average height actor in the MCU?

1: Kind of. I'm a bit above average at around 6'0" but there are plenty of people taller than me. I have been asked to grab stuff off of supermarket shelves too.
2: Not in my experience, but I'm sure someone has a story.
3: There doesn't seem to be any consistent "ideal height". Though it seems like everyone is all over shorter people though, as my best friend is 5'2" and often I hear people calling them cute and whatever. But when it comes to day to day operation average height seems to be ideal in the eyes of society, such as supermarkets and what not.
4. Considering the comics put him at 5'3" I think there should be a shorter actor if they want to be comic consistent, however at the end it doesn't matter.
Last edited by Innovationist Eurasia on Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
::THE FEDERAL INNOVATIONIST STATE OF EURASIA.::
::A REVOLT AGAINST TRADITION, A REVOLUTION OF PROGRESS.::
::If it is Human Nature to act foolishly, then we shall change Human Nature itself.::

NS Stats =/= Canon.
Nation does not reflect writer's beliefs.
Feel free to TG with comments, criticism, suggestions, and additions to factbooks. I welcome and encourage it.
Factbooks are a slow WIP.

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:48 am

do you feel tall?

Not really, seeing as my family are generally quite tall (me being 5'10"), although sometimes I do notice.
does height discrimination exist?

Not on a serious level, no. Although people like to joke about it :lol:
is there an ideal height? does it differ between men and women?

Not really.

should Wolverine be played by a short or average height actor in the MCU?

*shrug* If they can find a short one that fits the role, cool. I'm sure average height would do otherwise.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:24 am

6'0, so long as I'm not under oath.
Also, ideal height is 5'10 to 6'0 and a bit. Tall enough that everyone gets you to reach for things, but not so tall that most of the world is basically built to fuck you over.
Last edited by Kubra on Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:32 am

Being the smallest kid in the school aged 11 was not fun.
Everything is intertwinkled

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:56 am

I’m around 5’7, 5’8 at tallest.

Do I feel tall? Nope, but I don’t feel short either.

Does height discrimination exist? Yes, go to an amusement park or dating site if you want to see it.

Is there an ideal height? Varies from culture to culture but I’d say I general Anglo culture at least prefers if men are 6’ or taller. Women can be ideally be any height so long as they’re not taller then their male partner.

I don’t have an opinion on Wolverine’s height.
Last edited by Adamede on Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:06 am

I'm 172cm and I reached that height when I was like 12. I was a really tall kid my whole life and I doubt that really helped me, being the tall skinny girl singles you out in a way you really don't want as a kid.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:35 am

1. do you feel tall?
2. does height discrimination exist?
3. is there an ideal height? does it differ between men and women?
4. should Wolverine be played by a short or average height actor in the MCU?

1. Nope
2. Yes
3. Personally? No. Society? 6 ft+ for guys, 5'2''-5'5'' for gals
4. Short.

5'8'' by the by. I feel cold and abandoned by the poll.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:17 am

Heloin wrote:I'm 172cm and I reached that height when I was like 12. I was a really tall kid my whole life and I doubt that really helped me, being the tall skinny girl singles you out in a way you really don't want as a kid.

Yeah, being a tall kid sucks.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:20 am

I'm 132 cm tall!

And before you ask, no I never stand up. I'm actually shorter when I crawl to the toilet or the shops.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:52 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I'm 132 cm tall!

And before you ask, no I never stand up. I'm actually shorter when I crawl to the toilet or the shops.

I fear your explanation leaves me more confused than enlightened.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:56 am

Im about 6'1 i think, ive not checked it in a while.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:32 am

I am in the 6'2" range. sometimes in the morning I just peak at 6'3" sometimes in the evening I am like 6'1" and a half after squat day at the gym. Bone compression yeah.

Statically I know I am in the top 10 to 15% of human height. I work as a lawyer in finance however and pretty much everyone is over 6 foot. So I feel average.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:38 am

I'm around 5'10 barefoot. My driver's license says 5'11 though. Even though my height is pretty average for a man, maybe even slightly above average, I always feel short because everyone I hang out with is taller.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:22 am

A little over four cubits.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General