NATION

PASSWORD

[D] Is NS a safe space for leftists?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Vashty wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:
Nah, Mordor is better than the Reich, diversity under an Iron fist

Bilbo Baggins, anti-fascist partisan hero

Step aside Tito

Sauron was def a Left-Wing Authortarian

diverse followers under his crushing fist.

Bilbo Baggins was a hobbit reactionary comrade
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:If you get multiple people posting frivolous reports against you as a campaign of harassment then based on my interpretation of the rules that in and of itself is actually rulebreaking on their part. But I have not seen that happen before, so your concern is unwarranted.

Weeeellll... remember Hippostania? Something like what you stated kinda happened to him. Some posters really went hard after Hippo. But I don’t remember particulars. Not sure if relevant at all in the end but this has happened before.

People went after him because he did not engage in good faith, and afaik the mods ruled multiple times that he was trolling.
Last edited by Duvniask on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vashty
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vashty » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Vashty wrote:

Step aside Tito

pretty sure wanting to rid the earth of men is genocidal tendencies

back on topic, NS is just kind of a safe space for everyone except for the people who don't want it to be so inclusive to my mind
Last edited by Vashty on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| Formerly Vashtanaraada

Manners cost nothing because they're worthless

I play drums. https://youtu.be/mhRsiHRQOHE

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:28 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Weeeellll... remember Hippostania? Something like what you stated kinda happened to him. Some posters really went hard after Hippo. But I don’t remember particulars. Not sure if relevant at all in the end but this has happened before.

People went after him because he did not engage in good faith, and afaik the mods ruled multiple times that he was trolling.

Sure, never said he didn’t, but it was a campaign to get him to leave. Was he DOSd, or he just stopped posting?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Daves Computer
Envoy

Founded: May 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:30 pm

Vashty wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

back on topic, NS is just kind of a safe space for everyone except for the people who don't want it to be so inclusive to my mind

I can generally agree with that. Though I see it more as there are several safe spaces dotted around the forums and regions that cater to certain ideologies, like fascist regions which cater towards fascist ideologies. These safe spaces include their RMBs, offsite discords, and certain forum threads which attract like-minded people. Though, depending on the ideology, communities outside their safe space may decry them. But rarely are their designated safe spaces threatened or raided.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:33 pm

Daves Computer wrote:
Vashty wrote:

I can generally agree with that. Though I see it more as there are several safe spaces dotted around the forums and regions that cater to certain ideologies, like fascist regions which cater towards fascist ideologies. These safe spaces include their RMBs, offsite discords, and certain forum threads which attract like-minded people. Though, depending on the ideology, communities outside their safe space may decry them. But rarely are their designated safe spaces threatened or raided.

There used to be a rape thread on NSG that for a time was deemed a safe space by mods. But iirc that was done to protect those speaking about their experiences and the OP’s. The thread was eventually locked.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Daves Computer
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:34 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Daves Computer wrote:

There used to be a rape thread on NSG that for a time was deemed a safe space by mods. But iirc that was done to protect those speaking about their experiences and the OP’s. The thread was eventually locked.

I'm unfamiliar. Could you provide more context as to what the purpose of that thread was and why it was eventually locked?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:39 pm

Daves Computer wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I'm unfamiliar. Could you provide more context as to what the purpose of that thread was and why it was eventually locked?

Poster at the time shared experience having been raped and shared certain aspects of the case. Others offered support or talked about their own experiences, social stigmas, rape culture... a bunch of other related topics.

As for why it was locked, I can’t recall nor can I find the thread in question. Sorry. It may have been moved to the locker to protect identities and info shared. Part of the reasoning to deem a safe space, iirc, was for better moderation.

My point is that safe spaces have had a place in the forum but never permanently and the continued existence of threads that attract particular groups usually involves how those using the threads behave.
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:24 pm

Considering that we still have a fair sized right wing community, I'm gonna have to say no. And why is this thread so huge?
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Smith jones
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Smith jones » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:26 pm

I’d say not, it definitely has a large left wing community though

Gurkha Nepal
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Gurkha Nepal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:27 pm

I don t know about the forums but the regions are pretty evenly split. Currently the left wing regions have the most control and influence over the World Assembly, but that order changes every one or two years
Last edited by Gurkha Nepal on Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
सयौं थुँगा फूलका
Gurkha Nepal | गूर्खा नेपाल

Dollystana
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dollystana » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:27 pm

Yes. This game is like around 65-75% leftist so yes.
I like warrior cats uwu and having fun
Catocratic Constitutional Monarchy.
Economic -3.38 Social -5.28
My views are basically Scandinavia, that's all you need to know
the best book series Eat sleep read warriors repeat. Warriors Wiki
Self-appointed Warrior cat of F7 overvuwu The Truth Behind Area 51 All About Me

Stats not used
If you support cats, put this in your signature.
Perikuresu wrote:All of mothers are hamsters and all of your fathers smelt like elderberries

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Short answer: No.

No.
Signatures are so 2014.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:29 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:If you get multiple people posting frivolous reports against you as a campaign of harassment then based on my interpretation of the rules that in and of itself is actually rulebreaking on their part. But I have not seen that happen before, so your concern is unwarranted.

That's cause Hippo was constantly breaking rules, not arguing in good faith, and stereotyping.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:30 pm

Utceforp wrote:Short answer: No.

No.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:40 pm

Sodoran Alesia wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:Put a Swatstika up and a Hammer and Sickle Up and see who get's banned, their is your answer

but even the mods have to maintain the facade of "fairness" from time to time.

lmao, post something antisemitic and racist, and then post ACAB, see what gets taken down first. If anything, this site is a safespace for fash and the far right, it's unbelievable there are still fash who can't even stay within the incredibly loose rules of this site.

I'd imagine it would be quite hard to express openly antisemitic or racist views without eventually running into trouble with the "no "all X are Y"" rule. Even a basic racist-type comment like "I believe black people to be inferior to white people" easily becomes, within a normal person's interpretation, "Black people, taken as a monolithic group, are inherently inferior to white people," or in other words, "all black people are <insert negative attribute>." (No, I don't actually believe black people to be inferior to white people; it's 100% an example used to make my point.)

As for the "ACAB" ("all cops are bastards") comment, the problem isn't necessarily that it's criticizing police. I haven't seen anything within rules that states you're not allowed to criticize police, or any other group for that matter. It's because, right down to the literal way it's stated, it's an "all X are Y". "Police brutality is an issue that should be addressed" =/= "all cops are bastards."

I would strongly disagree that this site is a safe space for fascists and far-rightists. I'm nowhere near either and anecdotally I feel a strong lean to the left in the NSG user base and even in some moderators' rulings. I tend to find that increasing extremism is correlated with shorter tenure on this site, as the radicals either find themselves unable to conduct themselves within the rules, or get bored and leave after being dogpiled against too much.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:00 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Daves Computer wrote:

Poster at the time shared experience having been raped and shared certain aspects of the case. Others offered support or talked about their own experiences, social stigmas, rape culture... a bunch of other related topics.

As for why it was locked, I can’t recall nor can I find the thread in question. Sorry. It may have been moved to the locker to protect identities and info shared. Part of the reasoning to deem a safe space, iirc, was for better moderation.

It was hiding in plain sight. When it was locked, Kat said:
Katganistan wrote:You're correct: it was closed because we do not wish to be liable/responsible for the mental/emotional damage that trolling comments can cause in such a sensitive topic. As it had not been posted in for three weeks, it seemed like a good and natural place for it to end.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Daves Computer
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:15 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

It was hiding in plain sight. When it was locked, Kat said:
Katganistan wrote:You're correct: it was closed because we do not wish to be liable/responsible for the mental/emotional damage that trolling comments can cause in such a sensitive topic. As it had not been posted in for three weeks, it seemed like a good and natural place for it to end.

Oh, that's unfortunate. I haven't looked into or participated in that thread but if there were several trolling comments throughout the thread, then I suppose I can understand where the mods are coming from. Though, because it is such a sensitive topic wherein victims may find relief in discussing with others who can understand what they're going through, it is so much more vital for a safe space/welcoming and thoughtful community to be made for that area. But if the current capacity of moderation and common decency cannot discourage trolling and harassment there, it could ultimately undo the meritorious effect of a safe space.

Thank you both for bringing to light this thread and why it was ultimately locked.
Last edited by Daves Computer on Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:There used to be a rape thread on NSG that for a time was deemed a safe space by mods. But iirc that was done to protect those speaking about their experiences and the OP’s. The thread was eventually locked.

Yes, I vaguely remember it. How incredibly naive I was back then. I've changed to where I feel far differently on the issue.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:42 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Cordel One wrote:If you want to view it with that little nuance, I guess.

Eyeroll.

we get it your a radical leftist who likes to pretend that " OH we get shit canned too"

I'm fine, I don't have a victim complex about it but this definitely isn't a leftist space.

Nazeroth wrote:sure, but you cannot deny the bent is most definatley in the Left's favor.

I can and will do exactly that.
Nazeroth wrote:"nuance" shouldn't matter, literally at all if were talking about "fairness" in treatment.

It really should. Opposites are not equal.

Nazeroth wrote:if your letting radical "right-wing" symbols be banned or outright not tolerated the same should be said for extremist left-wing material, but that is not the case.

See above. People also forget a lot of the rightist presence left when the RWDT and LWDT were banned.
Last edited by Cordel One on Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Vashty wrote:

Step aside Tito

Sauron was an authright supremacist with a strong belief in hierarchies.

Nazeroth wrote:diverse followers under his crushing fist.

Only monsters who preyed on races they saw as inferior.

Nazeroth wrote:Bilbo Baggins was a hobbit reactionary comrade

Bilbo Baggins was an anti-authoritarian with little else to his ideology. He couldn't see a world better than the status quo.
Last edited by Cordel One on Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Byzconia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzconia » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:55 pm

No. People love to shout "bias" everytime the mods bust them for rulebreaking, but that ain't it, chief. Plenty of leftists on the site claim the mods have a bias for right-wingers. The mods are hated by people on both sides of the spectrums, which to me sounds like they must be doing a damn good job. Personally, I was smacked down by the mods more when I was a leftist than I am now when I'm not one, so if there is bias they sure as shit never showed any to me (not that I'd want them to, anyway).
Democratic Socialist Republic of Byzconia: a post-colonial Francophone African nation currently undergoing authoritarian backsliding, set in a world where the Eastern Bloc liberalized rather than collapsing.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:59 pm

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:The fact that you can post this answers your question.

/thread

Byzconia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzconia » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:10 pm

Nazeroth wrote:Put a Swatstika up and a Hammer and Sickle Up and see who get's banned, their is your answer

Nazism (as represented by the Swastika), as an ideology, requires you to believe in racial supremacy and genocide. Communism (as represented by the hammer and sickle), as an ideology, does not. Being a Nazi (or, in the modern age, neo-Nazi) literally requires you to believe that Hitler and Nazi Germany were 100% in the right and did nothing wrong (because, again, genocide and enslavement of "inferior races" is the core of Nazi ideology). That's why the Swastika is banned.

Communism doesn't have that same issue, hence why there are so many Communists who dislike the USSR/PRC/whoever and decry them as "not real communism" or whatever. Because there's plenty of wiggle room within communist ideology to argue that the things communist regimes have done are wrong from a communist perspective. Communism is a pretty diverse ideological label.

That's the short answer.
Democratic Socialist Republic of Byzconia: a post-colonial Francophone African nation currently undergoing authoritarian backsliding, set in a world where the Eastern Bloc liberalized rather than collapsing.

Daves Computer
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:18 pm

Byzconia wrote:

Nazism (as represented by the Swastika), as an ideology, requires you to believe in racial supremacy and genocide. Communism (as represented by the hammer and sickle), as an ideology, does not. Being a Nazi (or, in the modern age, neo-Nazi) literally requires you to believe that Hitler and Nazi Germany were 100% in the right and did nothing wrong (because, again, genocide and enslavement of "inferior races" is the core of Nazi ideology). That's why the Swastika is banned.

Communism doesn't have that same issue, hence why there are so many Communists who dislike the USSR/PRC/whoever and decry them as "not real communism" or whatever. Because there's plenty of wiggle room within communist ideology to argue that the things communist regimes have done are wrong from a communist perspective. Communism is a pretty diverse ideological label.

That's the short answer.

True. Nazism is a philosophy which touts genocide, eugenics, and overall horrid ideals. Communism is an economic philosophy that doesn't advocate for anything as depraved as Nazism. Many critics of communism, however, confuse the moral indecencies and downright depravity of regimes which supposedly practice communism as a reflection of the economic philosophy.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation