NATION

PASSWORD

(DRAFT) Limiting of Weapons of Mass Destruction

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Ciroi
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

(DRAFT) Limiting of Weapons of Mass Destruction

Postby Ciroi » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:59 am

Limiting of Weapons of Mass Destruction

Recognizing That WMDs are a large threat to humanity, but WA member nations still require a way to protect themselves,
Understanding that having enough nuclear weapons to deter attacks is crucial to survival as a nation,
This resolution Creates the Commitee For Global Disarmament, or CFGD, which has the power to check all member nations for Weapons of Mass Destruction and guarantee that a country is following the laws written in this resolution,
The WA hereby [Requires] all member nations to limit their amount of WMDs to 250, with the punishments for exceeding this limit being sanctions from member nations and loss of all WMDs, the WMDs being taken by a branch of the CFGD called the International Peacekeeping Division or IPD.
This resolution will go into effect 2 years after it has passed.

Langenia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Langenia » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:01 pm

This seems potentially interesting, but I think many nations would object to have many of their WMDs confiscated.
LANGENIA
Fatherland, Unity, and Valor
Overview|Armed Forces|LangenArPort| Incumbent President: Nicolas Furia
Langenia is an MT Latin American nation, the result of European powers not successfully colonizing the region but leaving their mark. We outpollo PolloHut.
Military oversight? Checks on executive powers? Nah.
Our foreign policy: a t t a c k. Also, war?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:02 pm

Ciroi wrote:

Recognizing That WMDs are a large threat to humanity, but WA member nations still require a way to protect themselves,
Understanding that having enough nuclear weapons to deter attacks is crucial to survival as a nation,
This resolution Creates the Commitee For Global Disarmament, or CFGD, which has the power to check all member nations for Weapons of Mass Destruction and guarantee that a country is following the laws written in this resolution,
The WA hereby [Requires] all member nations to limit their amount of WMDs to 250, with the punishments for exceeding this limit being sanctions from member nations and loss of all WMDs, the WMDs being taken by a branch of the CFGD called the International Peacekeeping Division or IPD.

Ooc: you should read over the passed WA Resolutions list, as this seems to contradict some extant resolutions dealing with specific types of weapons.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Ciroi wrote:

Ooc: you should read over the passed WA Resolutions list, as this seems to contradict some extant resolutions dealing with specific types of weapons.

OOC: More specifically, bioweapons have been banned entirely, so allowing any would be a contradiction. And also, the WA is explicitly banned for having something like peacekeepers, whether military or police forces, so if that's not meant to be such, it should most likely be renamed.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:16 pm

"We wonder how this IPD would actually seize anything from a nation unless the things are willingly given up. Opposed obviously. Get your dirty little hands off our precious nukes, our precious... our precious!"
Last edited by Ardiveds on Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

South Acren
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby South Acren » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:22 pm

OOC: Would need A L O T of work before this goes anywhere.
IC:
"So you oppose the use of WMDs....ok. Why must you worry about what my homeland does with OUR weapons? They do not effect you directly. There is the option for your nation to take a stance against WMDs, and we respect your decision. Limiting our stockpile out of fear or distaste towards our weapons would only make those with these weapons feel threatened, and when a nation is threatened they may act out. Against, Obviously, and I will do what I must to prevent its passage, should it go to vote."
Last edited by South Acren on Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Gott Mit Uns!"
.....begin transmission

Be not afraid. We now acknowledge your existence. You are now under protection of The Eternal Empire. We will guard you with our lives forevermore. Pray you never give us a reason to revoke it.
Imperium Aeterna, Empire Eternal

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:55 am

South Acren wrote:OOC: Would need A L O T of work before this goes anywhere.
IC:
"So you oppose the use of WMDs....ok. Why must you worry about what my homeland does with OUR weapons? They do not effect you directly. There is the option for your nation to take a stance against WMDs, and we respect your decision. Limiting our stockpile out of fear or distaste towards our weapons would only make those with these weapons feel threatened, and when a nation is threatened they may act out. Against, Obviously, and I will do what I must to prevent its passage, should it go to vote."

"Because such weapons can be turned in any nation at any time. Because their presence has destabilizing impacts in regional and world peace. Because their use may not have any legitimate military application that does not violate laws protecting civilians. The World Assembly has every reason to regulate such weapons, ambassador."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Langenia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Langenia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:33 am

IC:

The Langenian ambassador speaks up. "We stand by this."
LANGENIA
Langenia is an MT Latin American nation, the result of European powers not successfully colonizing the region but leaving their mark. We outpollo PolloHut.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:14 am

Langenia wrote:
IC:

The Langenian ambassador speaks up. "We stand by this."

"Ambassador, there are many good reasons to oppose this. You have elected to stand by the worst of them. As I noted before, such weapons are absolutely of international concern given their indescriminate application, their destabilizing political impact of their use, and their often peristant damage. A far better argument appeals to extant law and the careful curtailment of weapons to limited scenarios that do not implicate their faults.

"You may as well put on a bomb vest and tell me it isn't my problem if you arm the bomb at your desk."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

South Acren
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby South Acren » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:17 am

"Because such weapons can be turned in any nation at any time. Because their presence has destabilizing impacts in regional and world peace. Because their use may not have any legitimate military application that does not violate laws protecting civilians. The World Assembly has every reason to regulate such weapons, ambassador."

"And yet we do not force you non-WMD nations to own any nor do we limit your own industries with silly laws. These weapons are rarely used as it is, and any instance of them being used non-conformally with World Assembly Laws should be shown now. As of now there is already multiple laws in effect already limiting/governing their usage, and yet you need more power over them then the actual nation who owns them? Tell me, Ambassador, do you want the limitations for the safety of other or yourself? I can tell you either way it wouldn't matter much, 250 WMDs is still a formidable force, and could obliterate any nation quickly, if we are speaking generic nuclear devices. Imagine what 250 Chemical WMDs could do. Now, tell me again, when has these WMDs ever been used without a proper reason? Most of the violators of the laws already in effect are the psychotic dictatorships who already refuse the WA. Blaming the entire side for a small percentages actions is a tactic used by Old World Teachers and Drill Sergeants, and its usage here would only serve to elevate the tensions that are already seen world wide."
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Ambassador, there are many good reasons to oppose this. You have elected to stand by the worst of them. As I noted before, such weapons are absolutely of international concern given their indescriminate application, their destabilizing political impact of their use, and their often peristant damage. A far better argument appeals to extant law and the careful curtailment of weapons to limited scenarios that do not implicate their faults."

"Ambassador, may I point out that there are already curtailment laws in effect, and while a law to limit their usage would be a good idea, the reduction of their numbers would serve little purpose, and would only delay the inevitable"
"Gott Mit Uns!"
.....begin transmission

Be not afraid. We now acknowledge your existence. You are now under protection of The Eternal Empire. We will guard you with our lives forevermore. Pray you never give us a reason to revoke it.
Imperium Aeterna, Empire Eternal

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:23 am

Ciroi wrote:The WA hereby [Requires] all member nations to limit their amount of WMDs to 250

"250"? 250 what? ICBMs? Warheads? And even specifying that isn't enough, as a way around the limitation would just be to use ICBMs with as many warheads crammed into each ICBM re-entry bus as possible in the case of the limitation being on ICBMs, or having warheads each in the multi megaton range in the case of the limitation being on warheads.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:26 am

South Acren wrote:

"And yet we do not force you non-WMD nations to own any nor do we limit your own industries with silly laws.

"You do not, ambassador. Your nation lacks the power. The World Assembly has done so several times. The World Assembly limits their possession, use, and transfer."
These weapons are rarely used as it is, and any instance of them being used non-conformally with World Assembly Laws should be shown now.

" C.D.S.P. forces use chemical weapons routinely within the limits prescribed by extant law. Chemical weapons are Weapons of Mass Destruction by any measure. This alone indicates that they are not rarely used."

As of now there is already multiple laws in effect already limiting/governing their usage, and yet you need more power over them then the actual nation who owns them? Tell me, Ambassador, do you want the limitations for the safety of other or yourself?

"This was not my argument, ambassador, and you would see that if you had bothered to think critically about it."
I can tell you either way it wouldn't matter much, 250 WMDs is still a formidable force, and could obliterate any nation quickly, if we are speaking generic nuclear devices. Imagine what 250 Chemical WMDs could do. Now, tell me again, when has these WMDs ever been used without a proper reason? Most of the violators of the laws already in effect are the psychotic dictatorships who already refuse the WA.

"You, again, haven't thought very critically about my argument."

Blaming the entire side for a small percentages actions is a tactic used by Old World Teachers and Drill Sergeants, and its usage here would only serve to elevate the tensions that are already seen world wide."

"More twaddle. I will happily address the question of regulation versus punishment when you have absorbed my prior arguments."

"Ambassador, may I point out that there are already curtailment laws in effect, and while a law to limit their usage would be a good idea, the reduction of their numbers would serve little purpose, and would only delay the inevitable"

"No need. I wrote some of them. You keep missing my argument, which is not against keeping these weapons but against the truly indefensible argument that their ownership is a private matter unsuited for oversight. You have engaged in what we call a 'strawman argument, ' ambassador. Let's not start our day with logical fallacies."

Langenia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Langenia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:29 am

"No, Langenia opposes any attempt to limit our arsenal. We shall not disarm ourselves or support any resolution for this. You might as well tell me that the police in Langenia should go around unarmed. These weapons are necessary for our national security."
LANGENIA

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:33 am

Langenia wrote:"No, Langenia opposes any attempt to limit our arsenal. We shall not disarm ourselves or support any resolution for this. You might as well tell me that the police in Langenia should go around unarmed. These weapons are necessary for our national security."

"If you need such weapons to prevent immediate destruction, you probably ought to fire your diplomatic staff, ambassador. And you probably ought to read the passed resolutions that limit your access to certain weapons of mass destruction and the indiscriminate use of any weapon. It may be worth considering before the WACC makes you consider it.

"That said, I agree about the utility of such weapons. Which I had made clear in my response to you. The logical premise for your support, though, is faulty."

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:51 am

South Acren wrote:I can tell you either way it wouldn't matter much, 250 WMDs is still a formidable force, and could obliterate any nation quickly, if we are speaking generic nuclear devices. Imagine what 250 Chemical WMDs could do.

"Any nation, Ambassador? What about nation that controls an entire planet, or an entire system or an entire galaxy?"
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:57 am

Ardiveds wrote:
South Acren wrote:I can tell you either way it wouldn't matter much, 250 WMDs is still a formidable force, and could obliterate any nation quickly, if we are speaking generic nuclear devices. Imagine what 250 Chemical WMDs could do.

"Any nation, Ambassador? What about nation that controls an entire planet, or an entire system or an entire galaxy?"

"Not to mention that the effective impact of a single chemical payload is substantially less than that of a nuclear payload. Also ignoring the effect of counterstrikes on second strike capacity. No, this strikes me as overconfidence."

Langenia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Langenia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:59 am

"Our commitment to retaining such weapons is shown by our recent nuclear and missile tests." (That's in the news in my signature.)
LANGENIA

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:02 am

Langenia wrote:"Our commitment to retaining such weapons is shown by our recent nuclear and missile tests." (That's in the news in my signature.)

"This fails to address the many arguments offered to you previously. And has no bearing on this proposal."

Langenia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Langenia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:03 am

Langenia wrote:"Our commitment to retaining such weapons is shown by our recent nuclear and missile tests." (That's in the news in my signature.)

"This fails to address the many arguments offered to you previously. And has no bearing on this proposal."

"We will not disarm."
LANGENIA

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:05 am

Langenia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"This fails to address the many arguments offered to you previously. And has no bearing on this proposal."

"We will not disarm."

"Or engage with reality, apparently. Ambassador, if you can't respond to arguments, why are you even here?"

Langenia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Langenia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:07 am

Langenia wrote:
"We will not disarm."

"Or engage with reality, apparently. Ambassador, if you can't respond to arguments, why are you even here?"

"To just voice our opinions, not really to argue."
LANGENIA

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:09 am

Langenia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Or engage with reality, apparently. Ambassador, if you can't respond to arguments, why are you even here?"

"Since you cannot defend them, ambassador, I am not sure anybody but you cares." Bell shrugs. "There's an old broom closet across the hallway if you'd like to talk to yourself while we use the debate hall to, you know, debate."

Langenia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Langenia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:10 am

Langenia wrote:

"Since you cannot defend them, ambassador, I am not sure anybody but you cares." Bell shrugs. "There's an old broom closet across the hallway if you'd like to talk to yourself while we use the debate hall to, you know, debate."

"Why not?" He walks into the broom closet.
LANGENIA

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:11 am

"Excellent. Now the professionals can get back to it."

Langenia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Langenia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:14 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Excellent. Now the professionals can get back to it."

"If the Langenian delegation is bad at debating, it's probably only because we just got to the WA since Langenia RECENTLY rejoined it. Still learning how the organization works..." the Langenian ambassador says as he walks away.
LANGENIA

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly