NATION

PASSWORD

Japan to release 1m tonnes of contaminated Fukushima water i

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Japan to release 1m tonnes of contaminated Fukushima water i

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:32 pm

Japan’s government has reportedly decided to release more than 1m tonnes of contaminated water from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant into the sea, setting it on a collision course with local fishermen who say the move will destroy their industry.

Media reports said work to release the water, which is being stored in more than 1,000 tanks, would begin in 2022 at the earliest and would take decades to complete.

The Asahi newspaper reported that any such release is expected to take at around two years to prepare, as the site’s irradiated water first needs to pass through a filtration process before it can be further diluted with seawater and finally released into the ocean.

In 2018, Tokyo Electric apologised after admitting its filtration systems had not removed all dangerous material from the water, collected from the cooling pipes used to keep fuel cores from melting when the plant was crippled.

It has said it plans to remove all radioactive particles from the water except tritium, an isotope of hydrogen that is hard to separate and is considered to be relatively harmless.

By the way, scientists believe that the water will reach the west coast of the United States through ocean currents

https://gcaptain.com/japan-to-release-fukushimas-nuclear-wast-water-into-sea/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/16/japan-to-release-1m-tonnes-of-contaminated-fukushima-water-into-the-sea#:~:text=Japan's%20government%20has%20reportedly,move%20will%20destroy%20their%20industry.
http://www.allgov.com/usa/ca/news/calif ... ews=852554
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:34 pm

Releasing 1000 tanks worth of radioactive water into the ocean probably wouldn't destroy the fishing industry. It's not ideal obviously, though.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Sounds like a none issue that won't affect much to any statistical degree but is being overblown because of the word nuclear.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:14 pm

Japan should take a leaf from its whaling industry and ship the contaminated water to the Antarctic Wildlife Reserve. :eyebrow:

I shouldn't say that, they actually might. Fishermen in Japan have similar clout to the Oil industry in the US. Bad for the fish, bad for Japan, so fuck you whale!
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:26 pm

There is a Godzilla joke in there somewhere.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Not sure how marine life would be affected, but it sounds like you could swim in this water worry-free. Doesn't sound too dangerous.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Well realistically they can't just store the water indefinitely I mean after enough years of filteration and natual half-life decay some of it should be okay.

PS: How many points does China give you for making this thread OP?
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:18 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:There is a Godzilla joke in there somewhere.....

*giant nuclear dinosaur rises from the sea*

Japan: Oh no, it's the Americans again!

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008

Postby Mushet » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:19 pm

Maybe they can sell it in commemorative vials, as fucked up as it is people would buy it.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:22 pm

Mushet wrote:Maybe they can sell it in commemorative vials, as fucked up as it is people would buy it.

Hell of an energy drink.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Mushet wrote:Maybe they can sell it in commemorative vials, as fucked up as it is people would buy it.

Do you want to get X-men? Because that's how you get X-men.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:

Hell of an energy drink.

They could mix in something that will glow and create a new festival.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:29 pm

People would absolutely drink them

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:34 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Hell of an energy drink.

They could mix in something that will glow and create a new festival.

You push a button
Turn a dial
Your work is done for miles and miles
When it hits it's bound to shake
'Cause it feels just like an earthquake

That's the drink that you don't pour
When you take one sip you won't need anymore
You're small as a beetle
Or big as a whale
Boom
Atomic Cocktail

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:14 pm

Cordel One wrote:

People would absolutely drink them

I can see some some shady fuark seeling them on the deep web as a snake oil immune supplement.
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Parxland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Parxland » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Bad decision.
- < D O O M > -

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:31 pm

Parxland wrote:Bad decision.

Not always. Radioactive atoms has a half-life that would basically decrease its effects (including harmful ones). If they deemed it safe enough, then it theoretically could be released into the ocean without causing significant ecological upset.

It is, however, not responsible to dump your wastes into the sea, be it radioactive, or simple things like a plastic bottle.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:37 pm

Part of Japan's ongoing war against sea life.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:38 pm

Parxland wrote:Bad decision.

Hardly. It's probably cleaner then your drinking water once it's been cleaned and is ready to be dumped.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:55 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:Well realistically they can't just store the water indefinitely I mean after enough years of filteration and natual half-life decay some of it should be okay.

I do wonder why they don't just allow it to evaporate and then store the resulting waste as low grade nuclear waste
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:58 pm

Aclion wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:Well realistically they can't just store the water indefinitely I mean after enough years of filteration and natual half-life decay some of it should be okay.

I do wonder why they don't just allow it to evaporate and then store the resulting waste as low grade nuclear waste

Because that's not how water contaminated with fallout works. Instead of evaporating around the waste, the particles would ride with the vapor into the air, which is perhaps worse.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:10 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Aclion wrote:I do wonder why they don't just allow it to evaporate and then store the resulting waste as low grade nuclear waste

Because that's not how water contaminated with fallout works. Instead of evaporating around the waste, the particles would ride with the vapor into the air, which is perhaps worse.
boo
Naughty stowaways
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Eukaryotic Cells
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Eukaryotic Cells » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:13 pm

Strange, because the fishing industry is huge in Japan. You'd think that if they objected over potential reputational damage, the government would opt not to release the water.

How serious is the contamination and how effective are the proposed mitigation measures?
Last edited by Eukaryotic Cells on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:14 pm

Eukaryotic Cells wrote:Strange, because the fishing industry is huge in Japan. You'd think that if they objected over potential reputational damage, the government would opt not to release the water.

How serious is the contamination and how effective are the proposed mitigation measures?

The ocean is really big, and the dumping is going to be over the span of years, so even someone like me who isn't quite convinced nuclear energy is the clean energy that a lot of people tout it as doubts that the dumping will do much damage.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:26 pm

Aclion wrote:

Hmm. Tritium was mentioned: that would be bound up in water molecules, as any free hydrogen would have escaped.

So that's probably why. Otherwise an elegant solution.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General