NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]: Workers Rights Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Imortan Empire
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT]: Workers Rights Act

Postby Imortan Empire » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:46 am

Noting that many citizens, referred to as "workers" for the remainder of this proposal, work in tough conditions;
Further noting that times of crisis put additional strains on workers both physically and mentally;
Appalled that places of work often cut pay, layoff, or fire workers in times of crisis unjustly;
Lays out the following:
I: All people of working age have the right to seek employment.
II: Employers may not discriminate against job candidates because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or any other such barriers to employment.
III: During times of crisis(war, pandemic, etc.) it is the right of workers to maintain employment status, and the pursuit thereof should not be infringed.
IV: Companies affected by an ongoing crisis must ensure that employees receive fair and just compensation for loss of work due to crisis, and should be paid out in a timely manner.
V: "Frontline workers" (EMTs, first responders, grocery workers, etc.) should be treated as top priority individuals during such times of national/international crisis and compensated as such.

Kaeyoku
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 04, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaeyoku » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:03 pm

Imortan Empire wrote:Noting that many citizens, referred to as "workers" for the remainder of this proposal, work in tough conditions;
Further noting that times of crisis put additional strains on workers both physically and mentally;
Appalled that places of work often cut pay, layoff, or fire workers in times of crisis unjustly;
Lays out the following:
II: Employers may not discriminate against job candidates because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or any other such barriers to employment.
III: During times of crisis(war, pandemic, etc.) it is the right of workers to maintain employment status, and the pursuit thereof should not be infringed.
IV: Companies affected by an ongoing crisis must ensure that employees receive fair and just compensation for loss of work due to crisis, and should be paid out in a timely manner.
V: "Frontline workers" (EMTs, first responders, grocery workers, etc.) should be treated as top priority individuals during such times of national/international crisis and compensated as such.

Ok, Now you just have to write the proposal and get the necessary support, but I think it is pretty good.
Signature Loading...
■■■[□□□□□□□□□□]
OH GOD IT'S IN THE NEGATIVES HELP-
I will collapse from flattery if you say anything positive about me

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Imortan Empire wrote:Noting that many citizens, referred to as "workers" for the remainder of this proposal, work in tough conditions;
Lays out the following:

This proposal essentially copies this resolution: viewtopic.php?p=37584138#p37584138
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:01 am

Untecna wrote:This proposal essentially copies this resolution: viewtopic.php?p=37584138#p37584138

But it doesn't. The cited resolution talks about arbitration agreements and employment disputes. This proposal before us talks about front-line workers in pandemic environments (with the euphemism about 'national/international crisis'). This proposal would have the Assembly ban layoffs and prohibit furloughs. While there is perhaps an argument that section 2 supra duplicates provisions of GA 35 'Charter of Civil Rights' such duplication is and has been acceptable.

Making claims of contradiction when no contradiction exists just confuses new players.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:07 pm

Untecna wrote:This proposal essentially copies this resolution: viewtopic.php?p=37584138#p37584138

As the author of that resolution, I disagree.

Protecting frontline workers during times of crisis is an interesting subject, and I suggest focusing on that.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Qhevak
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Qhevak » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Imortan Empire wrote:II: Employers may not discriminate against job candidates because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or any other such barriers to employment.

Change to "private employers". In it's current form this would prevent government offices and defense contractors from only hiring citizens.
The Oortian Community of Qhevak
Distributed association of posthuman Oort cloud space habitats in deep Scutum Centaurus - basically all of these ideologies living together. A Power 5 civilization according to this index. Does not use NS stats. Wiki here.
Aerospace Engineering grad student, currently doing work on smallsat and sounding rocket projects.
Previously Gogol Transcendancy, Ibis Galaxy Alliance.
N&I RP in a shellnut

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:58 pm

Imortan Empire wrote:III: During times of crisis(war, pandemic, etc.) it is the right of workers to maintain employment status, and the pursuit thereof should not be infringed.

So a ban on layoffs during times of crisis? Do you know that will bankrupt companies and leave these workers unemployed just the same?

So employees are ensured a good time even in crises, good. What about the companies? Is there any compensation for this expensive insurance scheme when the companies themselves are running losses due to crises?
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Western Kidora
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Kidora » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:14 am

"Insuring the protection of some of our most sacred workers, those that would put themselves on the frontlines of a crisis so that others may be safer, should be of top priority to the many nations of this world. Any person can work in an office or at home, but those that willingly put themselves in harms way so that the continuation of society may proceed deserve respect comparable to no one. The people of Western Kidora agree with the ideas that are proposed, and would like to see a more in-depth version of the bill at hand before we put our full support behind it."

Madison and Wisconsin
Secretary

Founded: Mar 12, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Madison and Wisconsin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:59 pm

This looks good and if it were to be officially submitted I would approve of it. I do have a few questions on this, however:
-In the first section, what is defined as "working age?" Does each individual nation get to determine this, and if so, could they say the working age is some ridiculous number such as "300," and basically just void this section? Also does this section apply to people who are in prison?
-In the second, I agree with Qhevak, this should be changed to just private employers, since it would make some laws, such as having to be a citizen to run for government office, illegal.
-For the third/fourth, does this mean that workers can't be fired for bad behavior? Under how it is now, a worker who doesn't show up to work can claim that there's a crisis and receive immunity from pay cuts or firing.

The proposal does look good though, and with some amendments to make this proposal better, there would be a high chance that I would endorse this if it was submitted.
Madison and Wisconsin
Founder and Governor of Dont Tread On Me

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:15 pm

Imortan Empire wrote:II: Employers may not discriminate against job candidates because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or any other such barriers to employment.

Does the ambassador from Imortan Empire intend that this clause apply to ministers or religious educators?

Madeleine Kofelgas
Deputy Ambassador to the World Assembly
Liberal Unitary Republic of Goobergunchia

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly