NATION

PASSWORD

Imperium: Reboot (OOC/Sign Ups) Always Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:36 am

Work-in-Progress, with character apps to follow. Any feedback and comments would be appreciated! If these guys don't feel like they'd fit the setting, I could throw up a more trade-focused faction or another zealous religious order.

Imperial Subject Survey: The Kai’Mir Khanate Semi-Autonomous Sector
Executive Summary

Herein lies the compiled findings regarding the SAS designated as the ‘Kai’Mir Khanate’. The expert opinions and census data collated below was gathered in accordance with the Imperial Survey Bureau’s mandate, as established in Holy Imperial Edict 9701. The following information is up to date as of 19,923 IC. Details and descriptions of the SAS’ functioning were determined through interviews with Imperial subject matter experts.

Name of Territory: Kai’Mir Khanate
Government: Star Feudalism, with tribal democracy on a more local level.
Capital World: Kai’denn
Population: An accurate headcount of the Kai’Mir is all but impossible to achieve. The decentralized and mobile nature of many of their population groupings, coupled with worryingly weak government institutions have all but invalidated any attempts at an accurate census. Of potentially even greater concern is the lack of a single registry containing the locations of all of the Kai’Mir’s major population centers. As a species, the Kai’Mir have also proven to be both naturally resilient and inherently expansionist. Dr. Leonold Murphy, from the Nova Terran Institute of Xenostudies, wishes to highlight the pest-like migratory patterns of the Kai’Mir. Stricter border and enforced population control policies are recommended to combat ongoing and unapproved movement of Kai’Mir bands into Imperial territory. If left to their own devices, history has shown that the Kai’Mir will only place Imperial citizens at risk with their barbaric and destructive tendencies.

Economy: Although the large population and resources of the Khanate should nominally allow it to be a highly productive contributor to the galactic economy, cultural and social obstacles have hamstrung the state’s development. Although managing to produce much of what they need through a rudimentary system of autarky, the Kai’Mir largely focus on producing based upon need and have made only half-hearted attempts at developing a worthwhile consumer good industry that would be of interest to foreign importers. Fortunately, this has presented an opportunity for Imperial businesses to corner a number of markets within the SAS. Favourable trade arrangements with the Khanate has even allowed for Imperial industries to all but displace any attempts at local competition.

However, the nomadic nature of much of the Kai’Mir population has negatively impacted the profit margins of these entrepreneurial Imperial businesses. Maintaining consistent trade routes with the mobile Kai’Mir bands is all but impossible without local expertise, and the decentralised local authorities make the negotiation of significant trade deals problematic. There have been controversial proposals to help alleviate this through collaborating with the Khanate’s central government on forced resettlement programs that would seek to reduce the internal movement of its people. A few pilot programs are currently being evaluated, although such policies have yet to be rolled out on a large scale.

Culture: (Any unique cultural traits?) Any reasonable Imperial observer can’t be faulted for criticising the so-called ‘culture’ demonstrated by the Kai’Mir. Barbaric and warlike, they appear to revel in conflict and are predisposed to such brutish activities as piracy and raiding - much to the misfortune of the sectors that border their domain. While martial prowess and strength are held with high regard within their society, they are nevertheless and inherently communal people, with bands and tribes being viewed as extended families and support structures for the individual. Although there are a few large and stationary population centers, most of the Kai’Mir bands are highly migratory - roaming either on a planet’s surface, or in small flotillas of craft.

However, it is the Kai’Mir’s attachment to their traditional social structures that have likely prevented them from adopting some of the more modern structures of a space-faring civilization. To this day, they maintain a number of traditions that can be traced back to their pre-spacefaring tribal roots, such as the use of animal pelts and bones for decorations and the maintenance of some of their worlds as traditional hunting grounds. These traditions serve as a way to link together the Kai’Mir’s often disparate and disconnected tribal groupings with a common heritage, while also providing ways to help with the resolution of internal disputes.

The Kai’Mir have always practiced slavery within their civilization, be it through the enslavement of captured prisoners from a hostile tribe or aliens taken in a cross-border raid. Since the integration of the Khanate into the Imperium as an SAS, steps have been taken to place limits on illegal cross-border activities and to bring the Kai’Mir’s slave trade to be more in line with galactic norms. Although anti-piracy patrols have deterred the Kai’Mir from raiding beyond their borders, the internal slave trade is increasingly lucrative as indentured Kai’Mir have become prized for their physical prowess. The relatively high population of Kai’Mir, and the Khanate’s willingness to both enslave its own kind, have provided a boon to developing Imperial colonies within their galactic neighbourhood thanks to the provision of cheap and plentiful manpower. Today, the trade of enslaved Kai’Mir is one of the Khanate’s most profitable exports and it is this report’s conclusion that the Imperium stands to benefit from further growth in this trade.

Social Structure: The Kai’Mir as a whole are only loosely unified within the Khanate. Real power within the SAS lies with the leadership of the individual Clans and Tribes - collections of Kai’Mir bonded together through either a common ancestry or shared cultural ties. Tribes can vary widely in size and influence, with some composed of only a single extended family grouping, while others consist of millions of individuals in thousands of individual bands. The bands themselves are the smallest organizational structure within the Khanate, and is the term used to refer to a grouping of Kai’Mir that travel or live together under a Chieftain. Individual bands tend to specialize in a particular activity, such as asteroid mining or farming, but still maintain a good deal of self-sufficiency if living outside of one of the Kai’Mir’s major settlements. Membership of a band is more fluid than a tribe, with individuals often moving between bands during their lifetime and bands coming together or splitting apart.

Territorial Size: (How many settled planets/moons/stations, broken down into what kind: Arid, Alpine, Continental, Desert, Artic, Barren, Dead (No Atmosphere), Death World (everything wants to kill non-natives), Oceanic, Terraformed (not natural and extremely expensive, needs Imperial permission), Gaia (rare natural gems of worlds) WIP - any comments and ideas would be appreciated

Military and Security Forces:
There is no denying the military prowess of the Kai’Mir. Naturally strong and aggressive, tribal conflicts provide a near-constant stream of experienced and battle-hardened warriors. Although exceptional at hand-to-hand combat and warfare on the ground, the Kai’Mir have also become infamous for their abilities at asymmetrical warfare in space, and even their civilian vessels are capable of being used for piracy. For bands that spend most of their time living and working in the vacuum of space, star-faring can become second nature and exceptional pilots can emerge from these groupings. Although most of their weaponry may not be as technologically advanced as the Imperium, they have still developed a frightening capability to wage war. If they were drawn together on paper, the forces that the Kai’Mir could muster would pose a significant threat to their region. However, such a threat is mitigated by the internal divisions and organizational deficiencies within the Kai’Mir’s military.

The standing army of the Khanate is drawn primarily from the tribe of the current Khan, with supposedly mandatory levies from other tribes often remaining unfilled. This has led to the security forces being overstretched and undermanned, with little hope of maintaining peace and security throughout the Khanate’s territory. Most of this responsibility falls on the militaries of individual tribes, which can vary in both size and quality, while severely lacking in any standardisation across the Khanate. These tribal forces end up fighting amongst themselves more than any external threat, and there are times when Imperial detachments need to be dispatched to put a stop to conflicts that stray too close to the border. An additional headache for local Imperial forces comes from the prevalence of pirates and raids emanating from the Khanate’s borders. The ease with which Kai’Mir vessels can be converted to serve as rudimentary warships, coupled with their decentralized nature, can make combatting the pirate scourge a constant drain on Imperial resources.

In recent times, the weaknesses of the Khanate’s military have become all the more exposed with the eruption of civil conflict. With a sinking economy and an increasing concentration of wealth, a number of tribes have risen up against the Imperium-backed Khan. Although still lacking in formal leadership and organization, the rebellious tribes have proven to be too numerous for the Khan to easily put down. As the Khanate deploys more of its soldiers to fight the civil war, patrols have all but vanished from its borders, leading to an upsurge in cross-border piracy. The repercussions of this on neighbouring Imperial worlds has led to growing calls for an Imperium-led intervention before the conflict gets even more out of hand, although some are cautioning that a less-heavy-handed approach may be required as whispers of anti-Imperial sentiment grow among the Kai’Mir.
Last edited by Bentus on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Caltharus
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltharus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:16 am

Imperialisium wrote:The nepotism is strong with this one. Accepted

I'll take that as a compliment

Bolslania
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bolslania » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:01 am

Union Princes wrote:yeah, Space Lenin has the entire coalition on his shoulders when fighting the Imperial Senate and Emperor.

Your move commie

Astarten
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Astarten » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:15 am

Are we allowed to app as any one of the Emperor's children?

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:33 am

Astarten wrote:Are we allowed to app as any one of the Emperor's children?

Given they have apps in the OP, one would assume not.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Astarten
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Astarten » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:37 am

Lunas Legion wrote:
Given they have apps in the OP, one would assume not.

I see only written apps for Valeria and Verina. Would it be fine if I plan up an app for Romeran?

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:38 am

Wait until the OP allows you.
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Astarten
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Astarten » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:08 am

If I can't app for a prince I'll probably make an app for a loyalist great house. From what I've seen so far, there are like a ton of revolutionaries and commies but no factions loyal to the Celestial Throne to balance the equation out :lol:

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:12 am

Astarten wrote:If I can't app for a prince I'll probably make an app for a loyalist great house. From what I've seen so far, there are like a ton of revolutionaries and commies but no factions loyal to the Celestial Throne to balance the equation out :lol:

There are like 3 loyalists, so another loyalist would be appreciated

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:13 am

Astarten wrote:If I can't app for a prince I'll probably make an app for a loyalist great house. From what I've seen so far, there are like a ton of revolutionaries and commies but no factions loyal to the Celestial Throne to balance the equation out :lol:

...uh, I don't know, I kept feeling like there's some fat loyalists.

I'm gonna count reformists as technical loyalists too.

But eh, it'll be fine. The more the merrier!
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

Astarten
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Astarten » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:21 am

Bolslania wrote:There are like 3 loyalists, so another loyalist would be appreciated

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:...uh, I don't know, I kept feeling like there's some fat loyalists.

Can't wait for an official Accepted List to be out so it's easier to sift through all the apps :blush: . But I really like the creativity and the lore behind some of them. Especially the religious factions. Now have to decide what faith to align my WIP char with...

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:24 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:

...uh, I don't know, I kept feeling like there's some fat loyalists.

Cleanse, burn, reform!
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Caltharus
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltharus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:36 am

Bolslania wrote:

There are like 3 loyalists, so another loyalist would be appreciated

We really need a list of all the houses/factions and their loyalties.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:36 am

Astarten wrote:
Bolslania wrote:There are like 3 loyalists, so another loyalist would be appreciated

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:...uh, I don't know, I kept feeling like there's some fat loyalists.

Can't wait for an official Accepted List to be out so it's easier to sift through all the apps :blush: . But I really like the creativity and the lore behind some of them. Especially the religious factions. Now have to decide what faith to align my WIP char with...

I looked the accepted ones over.

Looks like 6 characters that are loyalist/reformist but loyal to the throne.

2 Reds which I didn't manage seeing if more reformist or revolutionary.

1 definitive revolutionary zealot.

And 1 corporate opportunist.

And that's it in terms of what's been accepted.

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:38 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:
Astarten wrote:

I looked the accepted ones over.

Well the odds just looked a lot better for me

Astarten
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Astarten » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:43 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Looks like 6 characters that are loyalist/reformist but loyal to the throne.

Ooooo that changes a few things for me but we'll see. Thanks for the info man really appreciate it 8)

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:44 am

Astarten wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Looks like 6 characters that are loyalist/reformist but loyal to the throne.

Ooooo that changes a few things for me but we'll see. Thanks for the info man really appreciate it 8)

Don't take it for granted.

It's extremely hard seeing wether people are against or with the Empire just from the app.

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:45 am

Bolslania wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:I looked the accepted ones over.

Yeah, it's almost as if the Imperial Senate was more openminded to reformists like Irene, instead of shutting down any attempt of reform, the Imperium would be more stable and not go down the path of ruination.

"Those who make a peaceful revolution impossible will make a violent revolution inevitable."
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:49 am

Union Princes wrote:
Bolslania wrote:

Yeah, it's almost as if the Imperial Senate was more openminded to reformists like Irene, instead of shutting down any attempt of reform, the Imperium would be more stable and not go down the path of ruination.

"Those who make a peaceful revolution impossible will make a violent revolution inevitable."

Fair enough. Although Jac's loyalties really depend on who's winning

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:51 am

Love the fact that no one has noticed/ cared about one of Sharas hobbies

Kek
Lover of doggos

Bentus
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:54 am

Union Princes wrote:Yeah, it's almost as if the Imperial Senate was more openminded to reformists like Irene, instead of shutting down any attempt of reform, the Imperium would be more stable and not go down the path of ruination.

Could be neat to have some more courtly characters, too. Some Imperial Senators or other political-types could help craft some cool intrigue-driven plots.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
At peace.

Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:58 am

Imo, we need more people apping for a Revolutionary/Reformist character to balance things out... because you can't have a revolution if almost all of the characters are loyal to the Emperor :p
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:04 am

Sarderia wrote:Imo, we need more people apping for a Revolutionary/Reformist character to balance things out... because you can't have a revolution if almost all of the characters are loyal to the Emperor :p

Please take "loyal" with a grain of salt.

It's really hard to see from the apps themselves.

For example, I slotted Irene as loyal despite all your talks of a Reformist/Revolutionary alliance, simply because I don't see her disliking the Emperor or the idea of one Empire.

And a lot of the loyalist chars are high ranking military/nobles whose apps generally say what they've all done for the Empire, that they're dutiful or whatnot but say little to nothing about goals, dreams and motivations so I just go and slot them as loyal.

Of course number of characters doesn't necessarily mean an imbalance in power.

I didn't bother to check on the phone but having something like a Viceroy on your side would be way more important than 10 Amban characters.

Bentus
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:11 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:-snip-

On top of that, all the great houses and SAS factions are likely jostling for influence and power behind the scenes. The loyalists would hardly be a united front and I could even see internal conflicts cropping up if one party or another saw it as advantageous. Though I also don't think the Reds were ever meant to be able to last in a slug fest against the whole Imperium.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
At peace.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:13 am

Of course. Loyalty is in the end relative, because they can be bought, persuaded with money and power, et cetera. To be honest, I've considered taking a more diplomatic approach of reform in regards to my character as well - he managed to transform a former feudal dominion into an actually working Socialist state, and the principle is, if it can be done on a smaller scale, why couldn't it be implemented on a larger scale.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse