NATION

PASSWORD

Andromeda: To Boldly Go... (SciFi Char RP|IC, Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Andromeda: To Boldly Go... (SciFi Char RP|IC, Open)

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Co-OPed by Bingellia and Khasinkonia

Welcome to Andromeda: To Boldly Go, a character RP set in a future universe very much like our own. In this RP you will have the option of playing a human or one of several alien races who live in the Sol System and who form the officers of the Cruiser UNS Destiny II. Your mission is to explore unknown worlds and sectors that have fallen into chaos in the aftermath of an intergalactic war. There will be monsters! There will be hostile aliens! There might even be another intergalactic war! This is not Star Trek though; Earth isn't a harmonious utopia and the greatest challenge could be dealing with the different species on the crew...

There will be room for you to write a member of the military, a scientist, a medic, an engineer or any other reasonable role you might think would be on the ship. Everyone you app will be an Ensign, though there is room for field promotions.

This is not going to be a spaceship RP in the sense of big space battles, this is an RP about the people on the ship and will mostly be set on a variety of strange alien planets... although there is scope for missions on the ship.

This RP is part of the larger 'Andromedaverse' family, though there is no need to have read any of the other RPs to participate. It is set 150 years after the others. Similarly, if you are RPing in an Andromeda thread, some things in the Universe might seem a little different.

This RP is open to latecomers. The UNS Destiny II has a crew of 300, most of whom will be NPCs. If you enter a bit late we will assume you've been along for the ride the whole time, just haven't been part of the core story yet.

If you want to join and are looking for inspiration, feel free to join the Discord. This thread is a sequel to 'Voyages in Andromeda', the tremendously successful RP that we have been running for the last year. There is a strong, friendly, community that has built up around the Andromeda RPs and there are plenty of people who will be willing to help you create a character... or just have a chat!

If this sounds interesting, feel free to hop over to the OOC and put an app in.

Chapter One: Before We Depart
(With some theme-appropriate music as well)

Captain Novak

"She's beautiful, Captain, isn't she?" the Admiral commented as the pair of them stood at the window. Before them, lit by the first rays of the sun as it peeked from behind the Earth lay the Destiny II, connected to the Station by a slender silver docking arm extending from the station out to the hulking mass of the Cruiser. Novak's Cruiser. Looking at it he felt something in the pit of his stomach leap with excitement. This was everything he had ever dreamed of; the chance to set sail into the unknown. To push the boundaries of the map and shine a light into the dark places for the peoples of Sol.

"She is," Novak agreed, in English. While it wasn't his first language, and he carried an accent, Novak had made a point of learning it and it did help to open doors if people didn't always need an earpiece in to understand what you were talking about.

The Admiral was an older man, his hair steel grey, time worn lines on his face, though his dark eyes remained sharp, "I suppose you are eager to take her out. I think should think the exploration of Cluster 1881 should slake your thirst for exploration, though I won't bore you by rehashing the entire mission now," he chuckled, "You may depart as soon as you have your crew onboard."

"With permission Sir," Novak pulled his eyes from the window to face the Admiral, "I would like to spend another day or two in station before we depart. I understand the berth isn't needed for another ship."

The comment drew a raised eyebrow from the Admiral, who had clearly been expecting Novak to be eager to leave, "That surprises me, though I imagine you have a good reason for the request. I don't see it being an issue, if that's what you want to do."

Novak nodded, "Thank you Sir. I've been reading through the personnel files of the crew. They all look like solid soldiers. However, we have every species in the system on that ship and even a few human-dhasath hybrids. There are Earthers, Martians and people from the deep space colonies. While I am sure they will be professional, I want them to learn to learn to trust each other. The success or failure of our mission could come down to the way our crew work together and I don't someone on my crew to die or, worse, the ship to be lost, because someone on the crew has a grudge."

The Admiral considered that for a moment, then nodded, "A sensible consideration, but what do you have in mind?"

"The ship has a VR suite I believe?" the Admiral nodded in response to Novak's query, "The Martians have loaned me one of their VR training programmes. I intend to put the Senior crew through it before we set sail."

That drew raised eyebrows again and a wry chuckle, "You're a cruel bastard Novak. Do I dare ask which one it is?"

Lieutenant Aula Cartia

The VR suite was a dark room, with ranks of spaced leather recliners. They were comfortable enough, though that was more for when you woke up. You wouldn't even feel the recliners once they had you in VR. The technician brushed Aula's hair to one side as she attached an electrode pad to her head. Once you lay down and the programme was on, the electrodes would do something Aula didn't really understand, but it made you think you were in the programme the coders behind it had constructed. You could feel everything in the programme as if it were real. You would wake up, completely fine and unscathed, though that was scant comfort when you were trapped in the VI. On earth they used them for entertainment, though Mars had adapted them for military training. She still remembered the Interrogation Resistance programme; every single officer had broken. They always did. Mars just wanted to see how long you lasted. The Captain hadn't said what programme they were being put into, which was pretty standard on Mars as well. You needed to be ready for anything.

"I'm sure it will be fine," she assured one of the Earthers, "It can get bad in there, but remember, you'll wake up fine and -"

"Lie back please," the technician interrupted Aula. She nodded, leaning back on the recliner then folded her hands across her chest, "Close your eyes," the attendant instructed.

Aula did as she was told. There was a brief moment of dizzying nausea and she opened them again. Or thought she did at least. She knew from experience her actual eyes were still shut; she just thought they were open. They were somewhere dark. The silhouettes of dead trees were illuminated by the moon above them. It didn't look like Deimos or Phobos. Was this supposed to be Earth? She bounced up on the balls of her feet, feeling the heavy, oppressive atmosphere of the homeworld pushing her down, her boots sinking into thick mud. Definitely Earth. Martian soldiers were trained to fight in this atmosphere, though she was sure she had seen some civilians and, for some bizarre reason, a monkey being put into VR as well. If any of them were Martian or from one of the deep space colonies, there was a strong chance they would struggle under the weight of the place, "I think this is earth," she called, not sure if anyone else was under yet or not, "Is anyone having trouble?"

She glanced down at herself: UNS Marine uniform. She guessed (correctly) that people would be appearing in their role from on the ship. She had a long-arm blaster, though she (again, correctly) imagined only the marines would get that. Anyone else would get a pistol. She felt the pockets of her vest. One spare battery pack. She had about 200 shots which was plenty, provided she was relatively sensible and didn't shoot at every shadow.

Before she had a chance to check for anything else, her earpiece crackled into life with the voice of Novak. She wasn't the only one; every one of the senior crew were getting the same message, "Right now you will be wondering exactly what you are doing. You will find the rest of the senior crew within a 100 metre radius. Your task is simple. You are to head to the location marked on the map in Ensign Calhoun's pocket. In twelve hour's time, extraction will arrive. Your goal is to get everyone out of the swamp you are in. It's dark and none of you have a flashlight, but I'm sure that won't be a problem to some of you," a slight pause then, "Good luck."

Lessoni
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lessoni » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:36 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:Before she had a chance to check for anything else, her earpiece crackled into life with the voice of Novak. She wasn't the only one; every one of the senior crew were getting the same message, "Right now you will be wondering exactly what you are doing. You will find the rest of the senior crew within a 100 metre radius. Your task is simple. You are to head to the location marked on the map in Ensign Calhoun's pocket. In twelve hour's time, extraction will arrive. Your goal is to get everyone out of the swamp you are in. It's dark and none of you have a flashlight, but I'm sure that won't be a problem to some of you," a slight pause then, "Good luck."

James Allan

Virtual reality. He was almost jealous, that he hadn't been the one to invent it, but then, he couldn't win them all. He was only human, after all. The situation overall was almost surreal; he was going to space, but before he could he'd be introduced to his crewmates via VR simulation. He was fulfilling every 10 year old's secret dreams and he'd be one of the first to properly explore this galaxy, and the only sad thought he could conjure was that his name wouldn't be in any of the history books, not unless he got incredibly lucky. Luck wasn't his forte, not by a long shot. He banished those thoughts with a shake of his head as he was hooked into the machine, and laid back in the recliner. He wasn't surprised it could interface with a grey langur brain, or at least this grey langur brain. He'd done his work well.

He looked around at the forest, then at himself. It was a wildly realistic simulation, enough the he internally cringed at the feeling of mud on his bare feet, and he didn't exactly love the small labcoat he now wore; it was tacky, though the pistol in his pocket was worse. It was deadly. He kept it there, not bothering to take it out. He doubted it would fit his hand, anyway. It was during this inspection that he heard a woman calling out, confirming that this was supposed to simulate Earth, though he briefly wondered where the hell else they'd be simulating. Pistol in pocket, he climbed a tree nearby, surveying the area around him from the relative high ground, before speaking in a surprisingly powerful voice for his diminutive size.

"I'm feeling splendid. My name is Doctor James Allan, James if you'd prefer a less formal identifier, I am a grey langur, a species of monkey, and I am head of science aboard the "Destiny II". I look forward to working with you all, but until we're in a more standard meet and greet scenario, I would suggest those less accustomed to violence link up with one of our combat gifted compatriots."

As he said that, he slid back down the tree, moving towards the woman who'd spoken up. Before long he was before her, in all his 2 feet of glory.

"Greetings. Dr. Allan, as I introduced before, I would presume you're one of our military component, from the rather impressive rifle in your hands, so if you don't have an objection I'll be shadowing you."
Last edited by Lessoni on Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pebis

Demencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Demencia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Aoibheann Mac Thréinfhir

Mac wasn't exactly thrilled at her forced inclusion in this exercise, and it seemed her displeasure didn't end in the virtual world. "Why am I feckin' here?" she demanded, looking up at the sky. "I don't go out with the bloody grunts, and unless there's some supplies to order or a bomb to build, you're wastin' my time and yours!." she paused a second, her head tilted. "Ah why'd you have to go and make me sober too? I was havin' fun!"

She took a moment to gauge her surroundings. "A fuckin' swamp? You're havin' a laugh now. Didn't I get enough on the bog tours in catholic school? Takin' the piss you are." Whoever she was yelling at didn't answer, and eventually she just grumbled to herself instead of loudly voicing her complaints. She pulled the pistol out of her pocket. "Oh that's nice, they gave me a cap gun. What, couldn't spare a rifle or a carbine? Unreal."

The voice in her head didn't exactly do much to calm her down when it told everyone what the goal was. "Yea I know it's bloody dark! I've got eyes ya know! Next you'll tell me I'm wearing pants, unless you're a pervert and didn't program those in." She muttered a few more choice words to herself and begrudgingly trudged forward. "Get on with this bullshit so I can drink again."

Nachfolgia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nachfolgia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Stella MacKay
Regional Scottish Engineer

Stella's body might be in the VR room, but her mind certainly wasn't. The robot armed scots woman was focusing all her attention on her the clipboard in her hand. She paid no attention to the others in the room as she paced back and forth. After being on ship for days, Stella was sweaty and covered in grease and oil from head to toe. As an engineer, she had to make sure the ship's engine and Skrim Drive were operational. Without it, the ship would never lift off of the station or worse, dead in the emptiness of space. Such a disastrous scenario would cause the entire expedition to be a flop across the universe. Stella, in all her hard working nation, would not allow that to happen.

Even though the crew were ordered to be present in the VR room, Stella was still hard at work. The clipboard she was eyeing rather aggressively was a systems checklist, a rank and file list of everything that needed to be working to ensure a successful launch. It was probably the most important stack of papers on the entire expedition. As such, Stella took the checklist very seriously as a competent engineer. She was staking her entire career and possibly her life on making sure the Destiny II has all her system's operation. Aside from the Captain, Stella probably had the most pride in the ship. While the Captain commanded the ship, it is her and the engineers that give her life. Without them, there is no launch.

" Ok... I've triple checked the couplin's on the Drive's port and starboard heads. Pistons were good when I left...gotta recheck them when I get back. Cooling levels were good...as was power levels...." Stella muttered out loud in a thick Scottish accent as she thumbed through the list. Each item that she knew was good was checked off with a pen that she held in her robotic arm. The real one was lost years ago in a freak training accident in college. It wasn't something she liked to talk about, each person that asked got an earful from her and a ridiculous story to avoid the subject. After awhile, people stopped asking the Scottish engineer.

As Stella looked over the checklist, her anger grew. It was equal parts the list and the fact that she was in the VR room. She had plenty of work that needed to be done down in the engine room, she didn't need to be there with the other crew. Having to be hear for HR reasons distracted her from more important matters. One too many double checks and the stress of everything caused Stella to finally outburst. She grunted angrily as she slammed the clipboard in her forehead.

"Aye! Where's the Capt'n?! I need to have a wee word with him!" Stella called out, her accent getting thicker in her anger. Unfortunately in her checklist prep, she did not realize that she was being prepped for the simulation. She suddenly found herself alone in a dark forest, no one else was around her. The clipboard that was in her hand was now a standard issue pistol. The situation didn't ease her anger as she looked all around her trying to see someone.

" A Forest?! You fuckin' kiddin' me?! With all due respect Capt'n, if her listenin', that wee talk is now a damn long one." Stella called out to nothing before walking off into the woods.
Last edited by Nachfolgia on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Military Factbook
The best damn alliance to ever grace NS
Strike witches

Accomplished Member of the The Age Of Neophytos RP Group

The United Federation of Terrans
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:32 pm

Pilot Officer Gabriel Polaski
VR Simulation

Gabriel didn't even have time to stow his kit. He had reported at the docking collar, received his bunk assignment and immediately been relieved of his bags by a pair of enlisted non-rates. His confusion had lasted for only a second before a third non-rate appeared as if from thin air to guide him through the unfamiliar ship. She had been brusk but courteous with her directions; though she revealed nothing of their destination or why he wasn't reporting to his immediate superior.

Then they got to the room and he saw the familiar sight of a VR suite. His short-lived guide left after, leaving him in the care of a Kiel attendant. Gabriel tried to bite down the surge of panic he felt as the attendant began to prep him for the simulation; the chair was more comfortable but the feel of electrodes still brought back the memories. The interrogation sessions came to mind first; constant cutting and prodding and pain that was only as real as his memory. The second was his "Pilot Afloat" sessions, simulations of floating after an eject; endless space and limited breaths. The goal to get you used to living in that gray area of survival, so you wouldn't freeze when the mom-

He was falling, the pilot gave a cry of alarm as he tried to figure out why he was falling backwards. Then he hit the water and submerged briefly before hitting the muddy bottom a foot below the surface. Gabriel sat up after that, rivulets of water running off him as he sat up in the brackish water and blew the foul tasting liquid out of his mouth.

Annoyed, he looked around in the darkness and found the cause of his fall in the gloom. He had came into being on a very muddy bank; which had given way as soon as his weight had appeared. Gabriel grumbled as he hauled himself to his feet in the shallow water and stepped back onto the bank which had dropped him into the river. Once on dry land he did a quick once over of himself, to see what "fun" gear the VR would give him this time.

He had the typical pilot uniform of heavy steel toed flight boots and olive-drab flight suit with reinforced joints that doubled as a vac suit. His helmet and gloves were missing, so he wasn't vac-rated; though the air seemed breathable enough. However, his flight vest; a scaled down piece of marine armor that served as a light flak vest and carried his survival gear was also absent. Though the pistol and survival knife he would have carried on it now sat in a thigh holster and waist sheathe respectively.

Though now that he thought about it, there was a different aroma to the air beside the rot of the swamp. It didn't smell like Mars and the weight on his shoulders didn't resemble any fam- Realization struck Gabriel as he remembered his acclimation sessions; exhausting hours at 1G with weights and sadistic instructors. Though as he took a careful probing step in the slippery, dark; he knew that those sessions were barely a fraction of what the marines went through.

Then his earpiece, apparently unaffected by the water, sputtered to life.

Dyelli Beybi wrote: "Right now you will be wondering exactly what you are doing. You will find the rest of the senior crew within a 100 metre radius. Your task is simple. You are to head to the location marked on the map in Ensign Calhoun's pocket. In twelve hour's time, extraction will arrive. Your goal is to get everyone out of the swamp you are in. It's dark and none of you have a flashlight, but I'm sure that won't be a problem to some of you," a slight pause then, "Good luck."

Gabriel let out a resigned sigh as he pulled the survival knife from its sheathe and slashed at the darkened outline of a vine that obscured his path.

"Ensign Calhoun. Who the hell is Ensign Calhoun?" Gabriel's boot caught a root and he stumbled before regaining his balance precariously close to falling into the water again. With another grunt in frustration he plodded on but stopped when he heard one of the thickest accents he ever heard shout unintelligibly into air. Another person was progress of a sort so, the pilot plodded his way through the muck, ignoring the chafing feel of his wet flight suit and socks.

Demencia wrote:"Get on with this bullshit so I can drink again."

He broke through a tangle of bushes just as he heard the voice say something he could make out. Gabriel made out the figure barely as he closed the distance cautiously and held up a hand.

"Pilot Officer Polaski. Please tell me your Ensign Calhoun."
Last edited by The United Federation of Terrans on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My travels take me many places, from the scorching sands to the cold, dark vacuum of space. But I always return to my friends and family at The Pub.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:36 pm

Eulli Yitakyeop
In the Dark, But Not Alone!

Virtual reality, what fun! Eulli had some experience with virtual reality during her time on Mars, but as a rather physical engineer, she had very little experience with the technology beyond rather necessary simulations such as working with nuclear reactors for a demonstration and once receiving a hands-on demonstration of the Martian military training academy’s gear, although she and her classmates had never completed one of the training exercises. She smiled brightly at the technician and leaned up to pull her hair back so they could more easily place the electrode pad down, but then laid back down at the technician’s further prompting.

The shock from the jump up to Earth gravity in the mud gave Eulli a shock. She squinted and could make out the basic shapes of much of the basic shapes of the forest around her, at least what was either in the moon’s direct light or shadowed darker, thanks to her youth under Titan’s dark, cold skies. Her grin faded slowly as she heard the Captain’s monologue, but bobbed her head side-to-side as he mentioned the extraction and map. She wasn’t entirely sure if her enthusiasm had been so warranted, but with the twelve hour window, it would surely be at least somewhat enjoyable getting to know her crewmates. To her great joy, however, the very first thing she heard was a voice that she recognised well. It was the loud bleating of one of her comrades from the engineering department, if the tree-shaking resonance did not deceive her. She turned and started slogging towards where she heard the sound, stepping careful to try to avoid anything that felt like a puddle, as she knew she couldn’t afford to sink too low into the mud with her height already against her without her backpack to give her some elevation. She stopped for just a moment and realised that the nature of her backpack would have meant she would have sunk into the mud anyway, so, with a shrug, she slugged another pace forward.

She ultimately decided to cup her hands around her mouth, and yell in the same direction as Stella’s voice.

“Stella!” she exclaimed in a thick Korean accent. To the best of her ability, she attempted to muster up an English phrase, as she was unsure if others had their translators with their earpieces, as she had the nanites to help her regardless, “Stella! You come to me now! My speaking! It is me, Eulli!”

Daotraou Inaotoann
Stick over the Mud

Inaotoann sighed as one of the technicians attempted to console her.

“I’m fine,” she blankly stated as she blinked irritably at the technician. Her grey eyes cast a bit of light onto the technician’s face and cast a soft glow on the ceiling behind them as well, until she was told to close her eyes and let the simulation take over.

As she felt her boots set into mud, she sighed loudly and mulled over a few curse words before deciding to say nothing. Although she squinted to see, her vision was only aided by the light her eyes helped cast onto the local flora. Despite the muggy air, her wrists felt cold, as it seemed the simulation had neglected to add her signature cuffs in with her. The local area where she was placed was fairly dense with trees and brush, so Inaotoann looked up at a lower-hanging branch and gripped it. It was dry enough to make use of. She snapped off the branch and then ripped off the smaller edges of the branch to leave herself with a craggly length of wood that was dry for something that came from the swamp. At the biggest curve, she snapped it over her knee and was left with two lengths of wood. She looked over her shoulder twice to make sure nobody was in sight of her, as best as she could tell, and then pressed the sticks together. She lit them fairly quickly, and then tossed the more inconvenient stick away. Now for excuses...

Nachfolgia
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nachfolgia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:02 pm

Stella MacKay

Stella was stomping through the dark forest, still pissed off by the situation. She had an entire list of things to do and running around in a simulation wasn't one of them. She was muttering to herself in a mix of Gaelic and English, complaining about near about everything right now. She complained about the ship, the Skrim Drive, and even the Admiral and Captain Novak. Nothing was spared her tiraid.

Stella was even pissed about the weapon in her hand that had replaced her precious clipboard. Even though this was a simulation and the weapon was not real, it was still one she barely fired. She had one in actuality, but it stayed on her work bench. She was a engineer and wasn't trained to fight like the Marines on ship. In all honesty, if an enemy soldier made it to the engine room, the ship was lost anyway.

Eulli Yitakyeop

Stella's anger induced muttering was suddenly interrupted by someone calling her name. Looking around, she could see anyone near her but the voice echoed through the woods. As the voice continued to yell, Stella recognized it as one of her engineers.

" Eulli?! Eulli, is that you?! Where are ya, lass?! " Stella yelled back as she stumped towards the direction of Eulli's voice. Hopefully, she'd get this over with quickly so she can get back to work.

Military Factbook
Strike witches

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019

Postby Europa Undivided » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:04 pm

Finbarr Shanahan
The Fecking Swamp

This was absolutely the worst day of his life.

Finbarr had always hated swamps. And bogs. And all of the many varieties of swamps all over planet Earth. Seriously. He had fallen into a bog when he was 10 during a camping trip, and the end result was that his mother scolded him for running around while everyone else was getting the tents and fires and everything else ready. She didn't even acknowledge that the mud had gotten all over her son's clothes. The worst thing about swamps was the disgusting taste of the brackish water, which were an assault against the Irishman's refined tongue. To top it off, he had one of those pointy eared illegal immigrants prep him for the whole thing. This was totally disgraceful!

When he had signed up for the Destiny II, he expected a posting that would see him run experiments in the laboratory and do all the biology and chemistry stuff while others did the hard job of wading through swamps and forests. Not once did he consider all of the strange possibilities that this ship would bring into his life, such as having a flipping monkey in the crew and a whole lot of human-dhasath hybrids in the mix. Nor did he think about... what was this, a team building activity? Those were just the weirdest things to do... running with your leg tied to someone else's, for one. And now, they were supposed to do this... thing.

"Fecking gobe shites!", Finbarr cursed as he made obscene gestures with both of his hands towards the sky. Sighing, he just waded forward, unsure if this Calhoun person was anywhere nearby. Ah, hell. There was just absolute darkness everywhere!

It didn't take him long to find someone else. He had recognized that thick Irish accent as coming from a woman, and understood what pieces of it filtered into his ears within the darkness. Using the screaming Irishwoman as a guide in the dark, he waded forward, finally coming near someone who introduced himself as a Pilot Officer.

"Hey, you.", Finbarr said to the man as he too held up a hand. "Finbarr Shanahan. Science department." Turning to the Irishwoman, he crossed his arms. "And you? Are you this Calhoun person?"

Rommel Salazar

This was nothing like home.

Rommel looked around as the blinding light of the VR suite faded into the shadowy darkness of the swamp. This was truly nothing like the home that he was so accustomed to in the Martian steppes. Being born from a patrician, noble clan in the winding concrete jungles of Martian high society, he has never been used to wet, damp places, instead knowing the dry dust of the land of his birth. Other than the occasional visits to the tropical climate of the Philippines, which is where the brazen noble ancestors of the Salazar clan originally came from, cold, dry land was all he knew all his life, at least until he began his career in the starfighter corps. That was when he grew accustomed to the winding metal innards of the vessels that represented mankind's pinnacle of technological progress, to the cockpit of the best fighter craft that the nations of man put together in a concerted effort towards the mastery of warfare in the cold void.

He had all but forgotten the terrible past, the bad time when he crashed unto a jungle world filled with hostile life. Truth be told, he had put all of that behind his back, seeking only to live in the present and the future, not the past. So, now, with blaster pistol at hand and eyes unaccustomed to the darkness, Rommel moved, looking for Ensign Calhoun. From what he could tell from her name, she was probably a human. But again, his name was completely human, as the Salazar patriarch had refused to allow him to bear his father's alien surname in the pain of expulsion from the fortunes of their family, so maybe she was also a hybrid, like him. Odds are low, though, as halflings like himself were supposed to be rare.

Nevermind. He just heard someone, no, sometwo call out to each other in the dark. Scottish and Korean, both female...

" Eulli?! Eulli, is that you?! Where are ya, lass?! " Stella yelled back as she stumped towards the direction of Eulli's voice. Hopefully, she'd get this over with quickly so she can get back to work.

Rommel was soon just less than ten feet away from the Scotswoman, approaching rather quietly. "Psssst.", he said to her from behind. "Who would you be?"
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Bingellia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Bingellia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:06 pm

Major Violann of Mihal

Violann had met Martian Soldiers from her other postings with the UNS, and she knew of the Virtual Reality training they had used. A part of her always scoffed a the pratice. Simulations were excellent tools, but there was no substitution to the experience of real physical training and, though heaven forbid, real combat in testing the mettle of a soldier in her eyes. Everything else was an imitation at best and utter mind games at worst, but it was all fake. She expected things to be easy when she came back too after being plugged in.

It was a bitter pill to swallow when she "opened" her eyes again and felt the thick mud pulling her down. "Swamps," Violann thought to herself as she trudged forward, "always fun to move through." Looking around, she had the advantage of being a Kiel, which meant the darkness wasn't an issue. Then the light of fire a few meters from her caught her eye. How did someone manage that?

Stubbornly, Violann worked through the mud as she walked over to the source of light and was found it hard to ignore the blue hair of Lieutenant Inaotoann as she approached.

Lieutenant," she finally spoke with only a faint hint of disbelief under her strict and stoic tone, "You're quite resourceful." As she turned away from the woman, she unslung her rifle and clicked off the safety. That light would attract anything watching, whether it was friendly or not, and seeing through it interfered with her own vision. Still, she could see the others moving through the treeline.

"This is Major Violann," she called out to the others. "Look for the light, we need to find one another! Ensign Calhoun, we need that map!" The group may have been an eccletic group of marines, naval personal, and scientists, but Violann was still the ranking officer in the simulation and she was going to take charge.
Last edited by Bingellia on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can call me Bing for short.
When in Rome, write a Roman.
Puns are the highest form of humor.
Best NS Bureaucrat 2020

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:20 pm

Hamza Sharaf, Operations Officer
Simulation Room

Hamza entered the VR room with a frown. He was just conducting checks on the ship's bridge to make sure the science and communications section was working properly, and all of a sudden, a non-rate appeared and asked him to go into the VR room. Captain's orders, it was all she said; when Hamza asked her to explain why didn't he was asked to report to his superior, she did not respond. Initially, he was reluctant to trust the non-rate officer, but he went regardless; the checks can wait, and there was an AI attendant on board to manage the systems in case he's not present.

Truth be told, Hamza is quite accustomed with a sudden change of retinue. He had learned it the hard way - being forced to abort important operations, shoveled into another room and sent into a small escape pod to avoid being shot by Taremi Industries thugs hired by his brothers. All events of that incident somewhat made him more disciplined, and flexible. That said, he wasn't thrilled at this sudden exercise, and to be honest he don't see the point of engaging in even more exercise. Though if the Captain commanded it, he must have a good reason to. It still spooked him somewhat, though, entering this VR program, because he doesn't know what kind of simulation is inside.

Even more annoying is the Kiellar attendants he saw when he stepped into the room. Hamza immediately scoffed. He felt like he wanted to spit on the floor. Ha ha, silly. What kind of joke is this? He wasn't going to let an elf mess with his brain, not by a long shot. But orders are still orders - and judging by the number of Destiny crew present on this VR room; and by "the number", that meant all of them, he knew he had to endure this process. So he lied in the leather recliner - which is surprisingly comfortable despite its look - and hoped for the worst. "Please close your eyes, sir," the Kiellar said to him, activating the VR system.

I'd rather close your eyes, elf, Hamza thought. He shut his eyes nevertheless, and immediately, a nauseating pain, like a thousand electric cables being yanked into his head, sent him into a shock. There was a strange feeling, as if his body was free-falling in the endless sky, and a very short second later, his brain jolted and he was awake. He was submerged, and he can't see anything clearly; foul, bitter water running into his mouth. Hamza reflectively stood up tried to think clearly. There was mud everywhere, and the water in which he landed seemed pretty brackish. He immediately reached to his pocket, making sure that he still had a pistol with him. And then he observed his surroundings, systematically.

There's an endless expanse of large trees - most likely cypress - and smaller ones, like mangroves, around him. Water lilies, hyacinths, and other weeds covered the brackish water. He hauled himself over to the nearest shore, which he discovered was made of peat. Shrub and muck covered the land, and the soil was soft. He didn't mind sitting on the muck - he'd experienced far worse conditions than this, such as a disgusting, semi-terraformed Martian wetland, but this is certainly not what he'd expected of a training VR. He'd thought they would have trained for the expedition to Cluster 1881, probably a spaceship battle simulation, or anything similar to that, but swamps were not even in his wildest guess. Damn...

Demencia wrote:"A fuckin' swamp? You're havin' a laugh now. Didn't I get enough on the bog tours in catholic school? Takin' the piss you are."

He could hear the voice of a woman talking with a thick Irish accent. He'd heard that voice before, probably from a person in his department - perhaps working at the ordnance section. His job was to manage communications and the bridge's operations section, though, so he doesn't exactly know the lady's name. However he yelled at her all the same, all the while running to the source of the voice. "Hey! You, ordnance!"
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Demencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Demencia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:38 pm

Aoibheann Mac Thréinfhir

Soon after, not one but two arseholes managed to find her, and both immediately asked her the exact same question. "No I'm not Calhoun? Do I sound like a fuckin' Calhouln?" she exclaimed, frustration rising at a steady rate. "Don't answer that." she said in the direction of the first person, assuming they didn't know enough about accents to tell the difference. "What a great start this is, I tell ya." she muttered walking forward, not checking if the other two were following her. "This ain't even me job and I'm out here handlin'. Wait till the lads back home hear about this, hi."

She considered just skipping the exercise entirely by shooting herself, but that would probably only lead to more forced time in this bloody thing when she could be doing something productive like drinking or working. Of course, it would be too easy that way and history has a saying about the luck of the Irish...

She got about maybe two steps before someone else yelled out at her. "For fuck's sake! Do I have a magnet in me suit?" she cried, patting down her pockets again. "No, I'm not Calhoun!"

Puranas
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 31, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Puranas » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:53 pm

Archer blinked slowly as the words on the screen began to blur together.  Sighing wearly, he put the tablet down and reached up to rub his eyes.
"Its alright, Bach," he answered a worried whistle from the droid, "just eye strain.  Have a lot to read and not a lot of time to do it."

The British man chuckled softly to himself.  While smart and clever in his own right, the intelligence programmed into his little assistant was far to limited to understand everything he was saying, let alone actually be someone he could hold a conversation with.  Sighing again, he slowly hauled himself out of his desk chair and, glancing around at the unpacked state his things were still in, he took the head of his cane in one hand and the now mostly chilled cup of tea he had been drinking in the other.  Pausing in his move to stand before the window he had been provided, he glanced down at the cup.

"Let yourself get to distracted again, old chap," he mused to himself, ignoring the inquisitive series of beeps from the other side of the room, "tea got cold."

Archer looked over at one of the few things he had unpacked.  Thankfully, the cozy was still snugly in place around the teapot, so it should keep warm for a while yet.  Not that he minded some teas if they got cold, he had been using the warmth to help keep warm - a glitch in the enviromental controls had locked his office at 18 degrees Celsius (or 65 degrees for those across the pond).

Finishing his current cup, the intelligence officer was just about to remove the cozy from the kettle so he could pour a fresh cup with the order to report to the VR suite came through the shipwide.

"Once more unto the breach," his voice now carried a light note of humor, "Come, Bach, the Matrix awaits."

The droid beeped in confirmation and, with a pulse of its limited gravitics, moved out of its charging station and landed smoothly onto the floor.  Using the keywords that Archer had directed its way, Bach interfaced with the ship's schematics and began leading the way as the three legged Brit limped along behind it through the corridors of the Destiny II.  Though not unaccostumed to Earth's deep dive virtual reality technology, Archer was nonetheless curious what the ship's commanding officer had in mind for this trip into what the intelligence officer jokingly referred to as the Matrix.

Archer was quick to notice that while not the first to arrive in the ship's VR suite, he was also not the last as several pods remained unoccupied.  Propping his cane up against the pod one of the techs guided him to, Nathan chuckled to himself as Bach defaulted into a guard mode protecting the lump of metal and wood - even going so far as to menace another tech who got to close.

"Don't mind him," he chortled at the annoyed looking tech, "he gets bored easy.  Gives him something to do," he finished as his tech finished plugging him in, "I always hated this part...."

Archer's last words in the waking world quickly switched to the intense nausia he was always hit by doing this transisition.  It was something about the sudden change in environment bringing on something akin to motion sickness.  Grimacing as he managed to keep his stomach contents down, Archer began quietly taking stock of the situation.  Or, at least that was what he had planned to do as, reflexively, he stepped as if still propped up by his cane and fell face first.

"Just great," he growled as he rolled over and pulled himself up into a sitting position, "just bloody great.  Can't see a blooming thing," he wiped mud from his face, "even with the moonlight."

He continued to grumble quietly to himself, pausing only as the instructions came through the earpiece he only just now noticed.

"Right now you will be wondering exactly what you are doing. You will find the rest of the senior crew within a 100 metre radius. Your task is simple. You are to head to the location marked on the map in Ensign Calhoun's pocket. In twelve hour's time, extraction will arrive. Your goal is to get everyone out of the swamp you are in. It's dark and none of you have a flashlight, but I'm sure that won't be a problem to some of you," a slight pause then, "Good luck."

"Bloody marvelous," Archer scowled.

Squinting to try and see through the darkness, he judged a length of branch jutting out from the tree he was sitting against.  Grunting, he got to his feet and reached up.and began to make use of his weight.  WIth a load spintering noise, the hunk of wood pulled free of the tree and tumbled to the ground with Nathan.  Now that he had a better angle, he grimaced - it wasn't exactly the length he needed, but beggers couldn't be choosers.

Making use of the impromtu cane, he used his free hand to pat himself down for any more gear he headn't initially noticed.

"A pistol," he mused dryly, "providing weapons likely means they expect us to at least think we'll need to use them."

He chose to leave the weapon in its holster for now, his free hand proving to be more useful in feeling his way through the dark.  It was at this point he heard the echoes of a rather irritiated Scottish woman blistering the bark of the trees near by.  Chuckling quietly, he followed the sound as best he could.

Archer broke through into sight of the other two just as Polaski introduced himself.  He raised both hands to about neck level. With the makeshift cane now dangling in midair, he was a bit unsteady on his feet.  Nathan didn't get a chance to say his planned introduction when another two arrived onto the scene and kept asking this woman if she was the Ensign Calhoun mentioned in the message.  The woman's brogue was a familiar taste of home for Archer when she rather aggressively denied being Calhoun.  Now free to break in once she was done, he cleared his throat to let them know he was there.

"Nathaniel Archer," he introduced himself, "Intelligence department.  Before worrying about who is and isn't this....Calhoun person, how many of you were armed by this simulation?"

It still festered at the back of his mind, why did they get weapons for this.
Puranas National Factbook (Under construction)
Andromeda Discord - The official Discord server for Dyelli Beybi‘s Andromeda universe set RPs
Far From Home Discord - The official Discord server for Theyra's original character RP

The Imarian Monarchy
Attaché

Founded: Jan 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imarian Monarchy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:01 pm

Sofia Calhoun

After being assisted into the VR suite by another human,following the assistant's guides quite well, since she spent many wasted hours in a VR arcade in her youth. She relaxed for a bit and closed her eyes, upon entering the dream like state, Sofia was greeted by view and message everyone else in the system was. Looking at herself she was in the standard UNS blue jumpsuit she was wearing when loaded in. However she had a few additional pieces of kit then normal, a belt with a hostler and the light emergency flak jacket, neither of which she was unfamiliar with. Digging through her pockets she felt nothing but a folded piece of paper. She pulled it to her face but it was no use this darkness. Looking around she started off back towards a large Cypress tree. then a message came through her earpiece, crisp and clear despite an otherwise lack of signal.

Dyelli Beybi wrote: "Right now you will be wondering exactly what you are doing. You will find the rest of the senior crew within a 100 metre radius. Your task is simple. You are to head to the location marked on the map in Ensign Calhoun's pocket. In twelve hour's time, extraction will arrive. Your goal is to get everyone out of the swamp you are in. It's dark and none of you have a flashlight, but I'm sure that won't be a problem to some of you," a slight pause then, "Good luck."

After hearing the message, Sofia decided she would be the center of attention, with this knowledge she decided to stay put. To gain the high ground which might help people find her, she attempted to climb the tree. After getting about 6 feet of the ground, the branch gave out beneath her, and hitting the mud with a bit of a slap, after getting up she heard the Major.

Bingellia wrote:Major Violann of Mihal

"This is Major Violann," she called out to the others. "Look for the light, we need to find one another! Ensign Calhoun, we need that map!" The group may have been an eccletic group of marines, naval personal, and scientists, but Violann was still the ranking officer in the simulation and she was going to take charge.

Looking around to find the direction of the of where Violann yelled out from and the source of the light, about 25m from the tree she started at, trudging through the mud to make her way towards the light Sofia yelled back, "I'm making my way to the light! Though I will be quite slow, I'm not quite that good in the mud! I was born on the Moon!"
Last edited by The Imarian Monarchy on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:18 pm

Pilot Officer Gabirel Polaski
VR Simulation

Gabriel was still waiting for a response when the next member of their group arrived. The now familiar sound of wading announcing his arrival ahead of time. His name was apparently Finbarr Shanahan, a scientist, and he had an accent that was disturbingly similar to the mysterious woman. Gabriel was going to continue on that line of questioning when a new figure appeared out of the gloom. The details were hard to make out, but the newcomer held some sort of club between his forefingers and walked with a stiff gait.

Gabriel was going to call out to him when-

Sarderia wrote: "Hey! You, ordnance!"

Demencia wrote:<Angry Irsih Ranting>

Gabriel wasn't sure what to make of the flurry of words, the angry stomp off, or the fact that such a little thing had set her off. He watched her as she patted down her suit for "a magnet" before turning his attention to the now closer club wielding figure. The man appeared to have suffered Gabriel's fate, having fallen into the cold, dirty water and/or the mud that lined the banks and shore. And judging by the way he favored the leg on the side holding the club; the club was more of a cane. Then he got close enough for introductions.

Puranas wrote:
"Nathaniel Archer, Intelligence department.  Before worrying about who is and isn't this....Calhoun person, how many of you were armed by this simulation?"

"Pilot Officer Gabriel Polaski" He answered back then added as an afterthought " Got a sidearm and a bush knife."

Demencia wrote:"No, I'm not Calhoun!"

Gabriel turned his attention back to Not-Calhoun, turning from the limping spook. "Okay, you're not Calhoun. Who are you then?"
My travels take me many places, from the scorching sands to the cold, dark vacuum of space. But I always return to my friends and family at The Pub.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:24 pm

Hamza Sharaf, Operations Officer
The Swamp

Demencia wrote:"For fuck's sake! Do I have a magnet in me suit? No, I'm not Calhoun!"

There goes my first guess, Hamza said, internally. "I know you're not Calhoun. I recognized your voice, perhaps someone from the ordnance department?" He raised his hand, and introduced himself. "Hamza Sharaf... Lieutenant, Operations department." Just as he completed his sentence, a man approached them and introduced himself as Nathaniel Archer, from the Intelligence department. he then proceeded to ask them about their weapons.

"Yeah, I had this," Hamza answered, pulling out his blaster, and cocked it to energize. He pulled it afterwards, though, to de-activate it. Just then, he heard the loud voice of a woman, shouting that she was moving into the source of a particularly bright light. "Did you hear that?" he asked pretty much everyone. "Don't you think we should observe that? Split up, maybe?"
Last edited by Sarderia on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puranas
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 31, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Nathaniel Archer

Postby Puranas » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:18 pm

Archer nodded as each of the others, well most of the others, introduced themselves. So far, it had been a universal confirmation of weapons amounts the group. Lowering his arms, he resumed a more comfortable weight distribution with the improved cane as a third leg.

“If this was supposed to be a team building exercise,” he mused aloud, “why the weapons....”

He looked between each of the others, his line of thought broken by the suggestion about heading for the light in the distance.

“We are alone in a dark forest with only light arms to our name,” he responded, “and I would just drag you down in a fight....” a pause as he considered his options, “it might be best to stick together. This muck is a right rat bastard to move through. If the rest of you think we head for the light, use me as a decoy....if it’s a trap, you can run better than I can with this leg,” a thump of the repurposed branch against the bad leg for emphasis.

As he waited for the others to make up their minds, Archer studied the motions of the light. Even at this distance he could tell it was neither ball lightening or a will-o'-the-wisp. Straining his eyes, he could just make out the flickers of flame.
Puranas National Factbook (Under construction)
Andromeda Discord - The official Discord server for Dyelli Beybi‘s Andromeda universe set RPs
Far From Home Discord - The official Discord server for Theyra's original character RP

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:21 pm

Eulli Yitakyeop
Engineers Stick Together

Eulli tried to jump up and wave in the direction of Stella’s voice, but couldn’t get herself that far out of the mud due to its sticky nature and the increased gravity, so instead she slightly bobbed in the darkness for a moment before realising that her attempt at hopping was futile. She slogged through a bit more of the mud, finally coming to the point that she was able to properly see Stella...and a fellow behind her that she vaguely recognised from her visit to the fighter hanger during preliminary maintenance checks. She tried to leap again, but fell forward into the mud, only just catching herself from becoming coated in it by putting out her hands. She pulled herself back up and shook most of the mud off of her hands, and then wiped the rest off just above where the muddy mess ended on her boots.

“Stella!” she exclaimed, quickly lapsing into Korean as soon as she got a good view of them, “Are you doing well with this dark swamp? The mud is so terrible to walk through; how do people in swamps even live?!”

She cocked her head slightly and quickly looked to the man standing behind Stella.

“You are from the fighter department, correct?”

Daotraou Inaotoann
Torch

Inaotoann turned her naked wrists inward and pulled her arms in so that the blaze of the makeshift torch lit up her face as she heard Violann’s voice. She looked at the Major and raised her eyebrow as if asking with her expression, What of it?.

“I am,” Inaotoann replied quite plainly.

She then blew a bit of hair out of her eye and then physically turned to look in the direction that a number of voices were coming from, particularly one seemingly claiming to be the important Calhoun. It occurred to her that she could probably make another few torches, but looked at Violann again and scoffed to herself at the notion, albeit fairly quietly.

Demencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Demencia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:26 pm

Aoibheann Mac Thréinfhir

The misery continued, as yet another person found their way to Aoibheann's immediate vicinity. "I suspect we got the guns so I can off meself when I get tired of hearin' all the chatter, hi." Clearly someone had decided that she in particular must suffer today, and this simulation was the method through which that judgement was being carried out. "I hope you lot aren't soldiers, cuz if you are you're doing a wile job of it." she said still walking towards the light, not looking back at the group. "Someone's burning something over there and yelling, probably trying to link with us, like we've been doin' so far, and you're talkin' about splittin' up and usin' decoys." She shook her head, "Now what bloody sense does that make?

Besides, ain't none of you ever seen this fucker Calhoun before? Pilot of the damn ship she is, and not a clue from any of ye? Can't say none of youse seen the crew before cuz I heard someone call me out as ordnance just by voice alone!" The redhead thought for a moment about making a signal torch of her own to be some form of response, but that was far too much time, so instead she just aimed her pistol upwards and fired thrice. "There, now they know we're comin'. Or at least I am, you lot wanna fuck around go right ahead."

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:48 pm

Lieutenant Aula Cartia

Lessoni wrote:"I'm feeling splendid. My name is Doctor James Allan, James if you'd prefer a less formal identifier, I am a grey langur, a species of monkey, and I am head of science aboard the "Destiny II". I look forward to working with you all, but until we're in a more standard meet and greet scenario, I would suggest those less accustomed to violence link up with one of our combat gifted compatriots."

As he said that, he slid back down the tree, moving towards the woman who'd spoken up. Before long he was before her, in all his 2 feet of glory.

"Greetings. Dr. Allan, as I introduced before, I would presume you're one of our military component, from the rather impressive rifle in your hands, so if you don't have an objection I'll be shadowing you."

Even in the darkness you could see the shock on Aula's face. There was a pause of a moment or two as she processed the fact that the monkey was genuinely one of the crew. Then the militarily part of her brain kicked in; whatever Doctor Allan looked like, he was a scientist on the ship (the Head of Science, no less) and it was her primary mission to look after the civilian crew members and keep them from harm, which included simulated harm, "Lieutenant Aula Cartia," she introduced herself in turn, "A pleasure to meet you Doctor Allan. If there is anything I can do to be of assistance, please let me know."

She could hear some idiotic Earther ranting and raving, though she chose not to comment on that, instead adding for the Doctor's benefit, "I have been in several of these training simulations before. There will be obstacles to overcome. Probably enemies."

Bingellia wrote:Major Violann of Mihal

Which was when the Major's voice sounded from nearby. It was hard to tell exactly where in the swamp, though they were flashing a light around, "Doctor Allan, please stay close behind me. I don't believe we are walking into a trap this early, but you cannot be too sure."

It wasn't far, and if it was the Major, she would probably see the dhasath stumbling about blind well before she reached her, "Major?" she called as she neared where she thought she had seen the light come from, "Lieutenant Cartia. I have Doctor Allan with me."

Lessoni
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lessoni » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:22 am

Dyelli Beybi wrote:Which was when the Major's voice sounded from nearby. It was hard to tell exactly where in the swamp, though they were flashing a light around, "Doctor Allan, please stay close behind me. I don't believe we are walking into a trap this early, but you cannot be too sure."

It wasn't far, and if it was the Major, she would probably see the dhasath stumbling about blind well before she reached her, "Major?" she called as she neared where she thought she had seen the light come from, "Lieutenant Cartia. I have Doctor Allan with me."

James Allan

He didn't bother with yet another introduction, mostly because the Lieutenant had given him one that would suffice for the moment. He couldn't see more than a few feet in front of his face, for a moment cursing that he hadn't picked one of the Night Monkeys of Panama, but didn't voice his internal cursing of his own shortsightedness, mostly because he understood exactly why he hadn't done that. Instead, he raised a hand to where he assumed the lieutenant to be in a facsimile of a wave, before falling back onto all fours. That was the other thing about primates that he found so distateful; none seemed to be following that trend, "upright walking", though of course one learned to cope.

"Major, a pleasure to make your acquaintance, though of course that pleasure would be dampened if you're some sort of voice mimicking creature intending to separate the insides of my body from the outside. I presume you're not one of those, of course, so I suppose we should find the rest of our compatriots before creatures like those do make a significantly less pleasurable acquaintance."
Pebis

Nachfolgia
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nachfolgia » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:39 am

Stella MacKay

Rommel was soon just less than ten feet away from the Scotswoman, approaching rather quietly. "Psssst.", he said to her from behind. "Who would you be?"

Hearing someone creep up behind and whisper, Stella quickly turned around to face the person. She had leveled her weapon at him and was about to pull the trigger. As soon as she saw that it was one of the crew, however, she immediately lowered her gun.

"Ah for fuck's sake! Whatcha doin' scarin' me fer? I coulda shot ya, ye eejit." Stella explained as she brought the weapon back to her side. " They gotta quit givin' me these things. I'm an engineer for Christ's sake, not a fuckin' soldier." Stella added, motioning to her pistol. Once her little rant was over, she brought her attention back to the man.

" C'mon, laddie. Let's go find the other einnseanair." Stella said before stomping off in the direction she was going. She didn't even bother introducing herself or asking for the man's name. She was far to preoccupied with completing the simulation.

“Stella!” she exclaimed, quickly lapsing into Korean as soon as she got a good view of them, “Are you doing well with this dark swamp? The mud is so terrible to walk through; how do people in swamps even live?!”

It didn't take Stella or the pilot long to find the alien engineer. With all her yelling, they were able to locate her without any problems. Stella stomped up to the Te-Gorial and simply shook her head, having witnessed her fall in the mud.

" How do you think I'm doing, ye red skinned bonnie. I'm knee deep in shite and it seems you're elbow deep in the stuff. Doesn't the Capt'n know how busy engineers are?! We got shite to do an' no time to do it in." Stella said, moving past Eulli and taking a look around them. There was still nothing, but swamp and trees in front of them.

While Stella might have been relieved to see the fellow engineer, her mannerisms and speech might say otherwise. It was just her way of dealing with people from a life of living in an engine room.

Stella looked back at the two others when Eulli mentioned that the man was in the fighter department.

" Yer a fly boy? Well that explains the lack of common sense. If you hadn't guessed, the red skinned lass is Eulli. Stella MacKay, engineer, and don't ye dare ask aboot the arm." Stella introduced herself in a rather harsh tone.

Military Factbook
Strike witches

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:39 am

Pierre Tonzi, Marine
The Swamp

When he shut his eyes and entered the VR program, Pierre could feel himself hovering in the air for a few moments, before opening his eyes. He found himself lying in a pool of shallow, brackish water. A layer of thick, slimy mud covered his face, which he wiped out while spitting into the water. Mud was covering his clothes and his boots; and he slowly walked towards the nearest dry land he saw. he took a quick glance to see that he's still wearing the UNS marine uniform. Grasping his belt, he could feel the gun, and his personal knife, was still present. Now what?

As there were thick reeds taller than him everywhere, and Pierre cannot see much in the dark, he took his knife and pressed a button on its hilt. He then pulled the tip of the knife, extending it to a length of about 6 inches, and pressed the button again to hold it in place. Silently, he cut the bottom of the reeds to give him a better sight of the surroundings. He also kept his right hand grasping the gun, in case of a trap, or something is to attack him. He walked for a while, until the reeds are no more, and returned his knife into its original size. Now things became quite clear, and he could even see some sort of light ahead - though he wasn't quite sure what exactly is that. Fire...?

Nachfolgia wrote:" Eulli?! Eulli, is that you?! Where are ya, lass?! "

...but a voice attracted his attention. He turned his direction towards the voice, and dragged himself through the mud, ever quiet and silent. He was a bit slow, but Pierre doesn't want to make a voice, so he continued through. When he arrived, there are already three people in the place; a man which he recognized as a pilot from his clothing, and two others, one human and one shorter, stockier which he recognized as a Te-Gorial. He raised his hand, calmly, only a hint of weapon - his combat knife - could be seen in his belt. "Second Lieutenant Pierre Tonzi, UNS Marine," he introduced himself, slowly lowering his hand. "May I know your names...?"

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:09 am

Pilot Officer Gabriel Polaski
VR Simulation

Gabriel was still considering the spook's suggestion for the light, mulling over the benefits for heading for the flickering flame, and unfortunately tuned out the never-ending chatter of Not-Calhoun. The trio of shots took him by surprise and sent him spinning towards the reports as he dropped into a crouch; and tried to draw his pistol.

Unfortunately the mud, combined with Earth normal gravity, caused an awkward half turn that almost spilled him to the ground before he righted himself into a squat. He did so just in time to see the outline of Not-Calhoun plod off through the dark, the distant fire her obvious goal. Gabriel stood and watched her figure disappear into the gloom and was out of earshot before he leaned in close to the spook.

"Bet you she kicks the calendar first." He said it with a sad smirk before unholstering his sidearm and followed in Not-Calhoun's path towards the light. Occasionally, he could see her silhouette ahead when she would cut in front of the frames, outline herself for a brief moment before disappearing back into the damn haze. Gabriel would have killed for his helmet and the augmented vision modes that would have made this place seem as bright as an Academy lecture hall.... it would also help with the horrible stench that seemed to waft from every direction. Gabriel couldn't place it but there was something in the back of his head that just labeled it as wrong.

His musings on the smell lasted until he found himself at the source of the light with Not-Calhoun standing uncharacteristically quiet next to the light. There were two people illuminated by the makeshift torch; one was a Kiel, by the ears, that stood as tall as him and wore marine fatigues that bore the insignia for Major. The other was also a marine and looked to be human but there was something off about her features, though Gabriel put that off to the flickering torch and her odd-colored hair.

However, there were more important things to do then figure out why the torch-bearing marine looked off. So Gabriel turned his attention to the higher ranking Kiel instead, holstered his sidearm and sketched a salute. Against regulations for combat zones, but between the dark and the need for some kind of chain of command; Gabriel felt it was warranted.

"Pilot Officer Polaski Ma'am. Three more coming from behind me." He threw a thumb over his shoulder in the direction he had come from. "No Ensign Calhoun among us ma'am."

He paused then added in almost as an afterthought. "Your orders ma'am?"
Last edited by The United Federation of Terrans on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bingellia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Bingellia » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:30 am

Violann

Demencia wrote:Three shots

The crack of blaster fire and the light of three bolts speeding to the sky were obvious in the darkness of the night to anyone paying attention to them. For a second, the major's hand went for her own sidearm to shoot a bolt up in reply but at least one person from the group in that direction seemed to be moving towards them, but she ultimately decided against shooting again. The torch was enough.

Dyelli Beybi wrote: "Lieutenant Cartia. I have Doctor Allan with me."

Lessoni wrote: "Major, a pleasure to make your acquaintance..."

Violann offered Aula a faint smile (if only because she wasn't screaming and was both following orders and escorting one of the scientists) though the Dhasath likely couldn't see it as Violann silhouetted against the light of the torch. When Allen introduced himself, however, the major seemed to freeze for a moment. "Did that monkey just speak to me?" The ridiculousness of the situation forced a very awkward chuckle out of her as she processed it. Still, it only took a few seconds before she composed herself, falling back to sang-froid soldering as she usually did.

"It's a pleasure as well, Doctor Allen," Violann replied to him, though she mentally noted how awkward it was too look down at the two-foot langur.

The United Federation of Terrans wrote:However, there were more important things to do then figure out why the torch-bearing marine looked off. So Gabriel turned his attention to the higher ranking Kiel instead, holstered his sidearm and sketched a salute. Against regulations for combat zones, but between the dark and the need for some kind of chain of command; Gabriel felt it was warranted.

"Pilot Officer Polaski Ma'am. Three more coming from behind me." He threw a thumb over his shoulder in the direction he had come from. "No Ensign Calhoun among us ma'am."

He paused then added in almost as an afterthought. "Your orders ma'am?"

Violann quickly returned the salute. "Stay with Second Leutienant Inaotoann, she has the torch. I can see well enough without it, so I'm going to help Ensign Calhoun. Do not move or fire a shot unless you need to."

"Pampered Lunar pilots," Violann groaned to herself as grew closer to the ensign trying to waddle through the best she could. Once close enough to help, however, her tone shifted. "Calhoun," Violann spoke to the Ensign softly as she took some of the human's weight. It drove the major deeper into the muck, but would hopefully help the lunar-born move. "Just take it one step at a time until we get to solid ground."
Last edited by Bingellia on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can call me Bing for short.
When in Rome, write a Roman.
Puns are the highest form of humor.
Best NS Bureaucrat 2020

The Imarian Monarchy
Attaché

Founded: Jan 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imarian Monarchy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:57 pm

Bingellia wrote:Violann

"Pampered Lunar pilots," Violann groaned to herself as grew closer to the ensign trying to waddle through the best she could. Once close enough to help, however, her tone shifted. "Calhoun," Violann spoke to the Ensign softly as she took some of the human's weight. It drove the major deeper into the muck, but would hopefully help the lunar-born move. "Just take it one step at a time until we get to solid ground."

Sofia Calhoun

With Violann's aid, meaning that Calhoun wasn't calf deep and struggling to get through the mud the pair was able to progress to the small group forming up around the one of the other kiels in the crew, the one with dyed hair and clipped ears, who was holding the torch."Hello Everybody," Sofia said with a little wave while approaching the torch holder. Reaching into her pocket to pull out the map. She found it a struggle to read it in the flickering light of the torch, so she passed it of to Violann.
Last edited by The Imarian Monarchy on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse