NATION

PASSWORD

What is up with my tax rate?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Grand Hellenic Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

What is up with my tax rate?

Postby Grand Hellenic Republic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:16 am

I have noticed this on 2-3 separate occasions but it has become clear with the issues I answered yesterday.

I have been trying to lower my tax rate for the entire summer pretty much and the change has not only been negligible, but in fact it has been going up regardless. A few days ago, I got some issue and I noticed that despite the fact I had clicked an option for a tax/funding cut, the tax had gone up from about 68 to 73 percent. But then before I could really wonder why, it had corrected itself back to down 67 percent.

Yesterday I had the budget time issue and I was excited since it would allow me to have a big tax cut, I chose the correct option and then my taxes had gone up instead to 72.1 percent.

In general, from about august, this seems like a "1 step froward, 2 steps back" situation. I rarely get issues that affect taxes, those issues sometime don't include an option to cut them but just where to direct funding, and rarely I get an issue where I feel I cannot refuse funding there and my tax rate increases by like 5 points whereas all the previous issues I had chosen to cut taxes only cut them by like 0.3 - 0.5 percent each at most.
Last edited by Grand Hellenic Republic on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Technically a Puppet of Arcaniana, but in reality this is my newer and more representitive personal nation.

Freedom cannot exist without duty and neither can rights without responsibilities.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:31 am

Grand Hellenic Republic wrote:I rarely get issues that affect taxes, those issues sometime don't include an option to cut them but just where to direct funding, and rarely I get an issue where I feel I cannot refuse funding there and my tax rate increases by like 5 point whereas all the previous issues I had chosen cut taxes only cut them by like 0.3 - 0.5 percent each at most.

Issues that directly deal with taxation are thankfully rare, so as to avoid having a raft of issues that are all dealing with the same thing but just with different wording. That said, such issues do exist, but because there are relatively few of them then it means they don't appear that often.

But as usual, if there is an issue that doesn't have any decent options from your perspective then you can dismiss the issue. Dismissing issues is a valid option and results in no negative effects for your nation.*

*However just to point out there is one issue where dismissing it is absolutely not an option, let alone a "valid" option.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Grand Hellenic Republic
Spokesperson

Postby Grand Hellenic Republic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:45 am

The New California Republic wrote:Issues that directly deal with taxation are thankfully rare, so as to avoid having a raft of issues that are all dealing with the same thing but just with different wording. That said, such issues do exist, but because there are relatively few of them then it means they don't appear that often.

But as usual, if there is an issue that doesn't have any decent options from your perspective then you can dismiss the issue. Dismissing issues is a valid option and results in no negative effects for your nation.*

*However just to point out there is one issue where dismissing it is absolutely not an option, let alone a "valid" option.

I dismiss issues quite often now, but that is a recent change I'll admit. I guess I'll have to freeze funding until I get enough tax-related ones. As for that one issue you mention, honestly I am curious now.

I appreaciate the reply by the way.
Technically a Puppet of Arcaniana, but in reality this is my newer and more representitive personal nation.

Freedom cannot exist without duty and neither can rights without responsibilities.

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:59 am

I feel I need to have a pre-written text for this, as I think I respond to tax questions more often than anything else here. Anyways. Several points:

1) It's absolutely possible to have a low tax rate and keep it that way (more or less)
2) You're a pretty young nation still, so if you start working at keeping taxes low now, you should be able to get your taxes to where you want eventually, but it will take time and effort.
3) Pro-business options (free market!) generally drop your tax rate.
4) Big government options (health care! welfare! education! transport! military!) tend to increase your taxes. You can have these things, but you probably won't have top 1% rankings for them if you also want low taxes. At least, it will be very challenging =D
5) There's a few issues that are very very nice for low taxes. Look out for issue 490 :)
6) Be consistent!! If lowering your tax is one of your main drivers (as it is for me), always keep that in mind when you're choosing an issue response. Don't choose options that have the government providing things.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Tax is not always intuitive and I've definitely chosen some options before that I think my tax will go down and it instead goes up. It's complicated, which is why you have to play the long game and just be aware it will take time to get your tax rate down to where you want it.

Grand Hellenic Republic
Spokesperson

Postby Grand Hellenic Republic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:10 am

Land Without Shrimp wrote:I feel I need to have a pre-written text for this, as I think I respond to tax questions more often than anything else here. Anyways. Several points:

1) It's absolutely possible to have a low tax rate and keep it that way (more or less)
2) You're a pretty young nation still, so if you start working at keeping taxes low now, you should be able to get your taxes to where you want eventually, but it will take time and effort.
3) Pro-business options (free market!) generally drop your tax rate.
4) Big government options (health care! welfare! education! transport! military!) tend to increase your taxes. You can have these things, but you probably won't have top 1% rankings for them if you also want low taxes. At least, it will be very challenging =D
5) There's a few issues that are very very nice for low taxes. Look out for issue 490 :)
6) Be consistent!! If lowering your tax is one of your main drivers (as it is for me), always keep that in mind when you're choosing an issue response. Don't choose options that have the government providing things.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Tax is not always intuitive and I've definitely chosen some options before that I think my tax will go down and it instead goes up. It's complicated, which is why you have to play the long game and just be aware it will take time to get your tax rate down to where you want it.

Thank you very much, I will keep these all in mind!

Apologies for the late response by the way!
Last edited by Grand Hellenic Republic on Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Technical