NATION

PASSWORD

Inter-community poll for Americans: Regional identity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Rozarus
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Inter-community poll for Americans: Regional identity

Postby Rozarus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:41 am

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1e-3wC7 ... Y2-LVOdVA/

Hello all!

Doing an inter-polsim poll on the regional location and identity of Americans in our niche hobby here. Personally most of the people I've dealt with in my 6 years of polsimming are from the South and the Frontier, though that may be self-selection bias. So, I'm trying to gauge what the actual regional split is. No personal information is collected, the poll is totally anonymous, so have no worries about that. Thanks!

Mauritania Romana
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mauritania Romana » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:46 am

idk if this thread's even allowed tbh ngl, anyway with the third question what exactly do you mean by frontiersman?
Edit:
I also really wouldn't group in Western with Southern on the final question.
Last edited by Mauritania Romana on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:48 am

@All: Please note the link is prompting people to log in with their Google accounts, which can imply it automatically collects your email address. I would advise AGAINST answering this poll to protect your personal information.

Alternatively, a Google search suggests that limiting answers to one response or allowing edits can also prompt an obligatory login. So, OP, if you want people not to be worried I suggest you don't limit answer to one response and not allow edits.

Naturally this all hinges on whether this approach to polling is even tolerated by Moderation.
Last edited by Esternial on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rozarus
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rozarus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:01 am

Huh? I can't access emails. Have you ever used Google Forms before? I literally cannot view responder emails, I think you need to do some homework.

Also, Western refers to the Southern-descended people in places like NM, Arizona and Bakersfield, and I don't want to make things too wordy. Frontiersman implies people who settled Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, as well as the people who generally identify with that greater region (I have a Mormon friend who is a Frontiersman culturally but lives in the Northwest, for example). Basically, these categories aren't perfect, but I did my best.
Last edited by Rozarus on Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:22 am

Rozarus wrote:Huh? I can't access emails. Have you ever used Google Forms before? I literally cannot view responder emails, I think you need to do some homework.

Also, Western refers to the Southern-descended people in places like NM, Arizona and Bakersfield, and I don't want to make things too wordy. Frontiersman implies people who settled Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, as well as the people who generally identify with that greater region (I have a Mormon friend who is a Frontiersman culturally but lives in the Northwest, for example). Basically, these categories aren't perfect, but I did my best.

Your apparent willful ignorance is suspicious, to be honest.

EDIT: Again, I would advise you to go to your form settings and figure out what might be triggering the obligatory login. It does seem some settings trigger this. No need to get defensive, I'm just being cautious on the Internet.
Last edited by Esternial on Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:31 am

Ten options in a regular NS poll should be enough to discover "regions". Maybe use US Census regions?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Rozarus
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rozarus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:41 am

Lol, didn't even know that was an option. Nonetheless, I'm not collecting emails. I am not MUHAMMAD KHAN of Pakistan Fact, what the hell would I even do with some random Jimbo O'Jimbo's email address, unironically? People being afraid they'll be doxed for no reason is really silly, I literally tell people my full name and address for kicks, because I care that little.

Also, US census regions are useless, they're for population count and nothing more, they're not aligned to cultural boundaries. This is inter-community, so I'm pretty sure a NationStates poll would be useless. Plus it's an ethno-regional survey, it takes more than one question to get the full picture.
Last edited by Rozarus on Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:51 am

Rozarus wrote:Lol, didn't even know that was an option. Nonetheless, I'm not collecting emails. I am not MUHAMMAD KHAN of Pakistan Fact, what the hell would I even do with some random Jimbo O'Jimbo's email address, unironically? People being afraid they'll be doxed for no reason is really silly, I literally tell people my full name and address for kicks, because I care that little.

Hmm. I don't trust you well enough to tell you what you can do with stolen email addresses.

Also, US census regions are useless, they're for population count and nothing more, they're not aligned to cultural boundaries. This is inter-community, so I'm pretty sure a NationStates poll would be useless. Plus it's an ethno-regional survey, it takes more than one question to get the full picture.

A Nationstates poll allows up to ten options, that should be enough.

And OK, US Census regions are "useless" to you. It was just a suggestion. Maybe you could color in a map of the US with ten "cultural regions" as you see them, and number those to correspond with options in a poll.

I will not be participating otherwise. It is not my custom to click on ANY link from a new poster whose pitch is basically "click this so I can gather information about you, it's anonymous honestly".

New posters who express an interest in the race of people on the forum? That raises it from a Hard No to a Fuck No.

Others can speak for themselves: No poll. No play.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 am

Rozarus wrote:Lol, didn't even know that was an option. Nonetheless, I'm not collecting emails. I am not MUHAMMAD KHAN of Pakistan Fact, what the hell would I even do with some random Jimbo O'Jimbo's email address, unironically? People being afraid they'll be doxed for no reason is really silly, I literally tell people my full name and address for kicks, because I care that little.

I honestly don't care that you don't care. Just adjust your form's settings, it's not hard and probably takes less time than writing up a response to this post.

You've given people here little reason to trust you, especially with your continued attempts to disparage my legitimate comments, so if you actually care about getting some data your best bet is to create a NationStates poll at this point rather than continue discussing this with me.

Additionally, and I did forget to mention this before, your topic in and of itself is likely to be locked due to the fact you've offered nothing to discuss. It's essentially a request to help with your homework rather than a discussion.

To recap, if you want to try again in the future, be sure to:

A) Use the forum polling feature
B) Have an actual topic of debate with a fleshed-out OP (including your opinion) so there's something for people to discuss, not a simple request to follow a link or fill in a poll.
Last edited by Esternial on Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Lamoni » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:36 am

Locking this thread due to lacking anything to debate, and using a form that could potentially collect the e-mail addresses of NS users.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General