NATION

PASSWORD

Initials & Unicode?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Initials & Unicode?

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:38 pm

I saw on an effect line on Moderal, whose @@TYPE@@ is set as "Stórveldi" (whatever that means), that its @@TYPEINITIALS@@ was computed as "SR". Obviously the server failed to recognize that non-ASCII character "ó" is, in fact, a letter rather than whitespace.

If you don't want to go through the effort of using a proper Unicode-aware library to identify character types, it makes more sense to at least assume that all non-ASCII characters are letters, rather than that none of them are.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:58 pm

Well there's 45 minutes I'll never get back. But this should work better now.

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:29 am

That nation also has some broken character encoding in the description.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:24 am

Source: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=west_calypso

Example of the description text going haywire with foreign characters (I know it worked before): I expected the leader of my issues subsidiary to be Nicolás Maduro, not Nicolás Maduro.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:07 am

Minoa wrote:Source: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=west_calypso

Example of the description text going haywire with foreign characters (I know it worked before): I expected the leader of my issues subsidiary to be Nicolás Maduro, not Nicolás Maduro.

Where are you seeing the problem? The nation description looks fine to me.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:39 am

[violet] wrote:
Minoa wrote:Source: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=west_calypso

Where are you seeing the problem? The nation description looks fine to me.

It looks like it got fixed before you saw my message.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:57 am

Moderal is still glitched.

The big banner next to the flag reads "The Stórveldi of Moderal", correctly. However, the text reads "The Stórveldi of Moderal is a massive, orderly nation...", "hard-nosed, cynical, humorless, devout population of 4.087 billion Flammæ", and "The all-consuming Flammæ economy". Retrieving the custom fields via the API does give the correct values. (Though while I'm at it, this (escaping a character in C/JSON/etc. style rather than XML style) has never been fixed.)

West Calypso meanwhile lists "ruled by Nicolás Maduro" correctly in the text, but still has the broken code in some old effect lines in the log.

Dunno why some nations work and others don't, maybe it's just stale data and resubmitting the fields will be enough to fix it.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical