NATION

PASSWORD

N-Day to coincide with Yom Kippur

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
East Blepia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:41 pm

In my timezone, the final four or five hours depending on sunset are going to coincide with Yom Kippur, the holiest day in Judaism.

This is going to inconvenience a lot of people. In more easterly timezones the majority or even entirety of N-Day could coincide with Yom Kippur, making it not permissible for Jews to participate in N-Day.

Was this considered and the scheduling gone ahead with anyway or did no one consider it at all?
20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, 10 years in Syria, constant brinksmanship with Iran, $230 billion[1] and counting in military and economic aid to a first-world country, and the agitation of Islamic extremism[2] causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths is not enough. America MUST do more for Israel. If you ask what we get in exchange, you are an anti-semite.

1. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf "As of March 2020, in 2018 U.S. dollars (inflation-adjusted), total U.S.
aid to Israel... is $236 billion."

2. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver "Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple...You attacked us in Palestine...the degree of American support for Israel"

Doge Land
Envoy

Founded: Feb 15, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Doge Land » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:44 pm

This was most likely not considered. N-Day is meant to coincide with the International Day of the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons on September 26th.
this is a signature

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:45 pm

In my timezone, the final four or five hours depending on sunset are going to coincide with Yom Kippur, the holiest day in Judaism.

This is going to inconvenience a lot of people. In more easterly timezones the majority or even entirety of N-Day could coincide with Yom Kippur, making it not permissible for Jews to participate in N-Day.

Was this considered and the scheduling gone ahead with anyway or did no one consider it at all?
20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, 10 years in Syria, constant brinksmanship with Iran, $230 billion[1] and counting in military and economic aid to a first-world country, and the agitation of Islamic extremism[2] causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths is not enough. America MUST do more for Israel. If you ask what we get in exchange, you are an anti-semite.

1. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf "As of March 2020, in 2018 U.S. dollars (inflation-adjusted), total U.S.

2. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver "Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple...You attacked us in Palestine...the degree of American support for Israel"

Brinckerhoff
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Brinckerhoff » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:46 pm

Wanna regularize with the One True Calendar yet? ;P

East Blepia wrote:In my timezone, the final four or five hours depending on sunset are going to coincide with Yom Kippur, the holiest day in Judaism.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:50 pm

East Blepia wrote:In my timezone, the final four or five hours depending on sunset are going to coincide with Yom Kippur, the holiest day in Judaism.

I'd say the number of Jews that participate in NS is likely small, and those who want to participate in N-Day will be even less; so you might want to reconsider "a lot of people"...

Also, I don't see N-Day in the following list of Yom Kippur prohibitions. unless you want to be really creative with how you interpret them:

No eating and drinking
No wearing of leather shoes
No bathing or washing
No anointing oneself with perfumes or lotions
No marital relations
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:50 pm

I agree that this is a real issue. For me, the timing coincides with almost the entirety of Yom Kippur.

This is a real scheduling issue that directly inconveniences a not insignificant proportion of the userbase.

While N-Day is scheduled to coincide with the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons on 26 September, the event is starting on the 27th in most of the world.

It would be comforting to know that NS admin has considered this and will ensure that there is not a repeat in the future.

The New California Republic wrote:Also, I don't see N-Day in the following list of Yom Kippur prohibitions. unless you want to be really creative with how you interpret them:

No eating and drinking
No bathing or washing
No marital relations

It's always heartening when someone explains your own religion to you. No, playing NS is incompatible with Yom Kippur. I know it must be difficult for a Generalite, but you could try not talking about things you don't have a clue about.
Last edited by Guy on Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:53 pm

The New California Republic wrote:I don't see N-Day in the following list of Yom Kippur prohibitions. unless you want to be really creative with how you interpret them:

No eating and drinking
No bathing or washing
No marital relations

It's a holy day. It's not forbidden to use a computer on Christmas, but I doubt that you will see practicing Christians doing it very much and with great focus. Many Jews are going to be travelling, or having travelled, or praying or attending services, or otherwise occupying themselves with things other than NationStates.

Guy
Ambassador

Postby Guy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:56 pm

Guy wrote:I agree that this is a real issue. For me, the timing coincides with almost the entirety of Yom Kippur.

This is a real scheduling issue that directly inconveniences a not insignificant proportion of the userbase.

While N-Day is scheduled to coincide with the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons on 26 September, the event is starting on the 27th in most of the world.

It would be comforting to know that NS admin has considered this and will ensure that there is not a repeat in the future.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:58 pm

East Blepia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I don't see N-Day in the following list of Yom Kippur prohibitions. unless you want to be really creative with how you interpret them:

No eating and drinking
No bathing or washing
No marital relations

It's a holy day. It's not forbidden to use a computer on Christmas, but I doubt that you will see practicing Christians doing it very much and with great focus. Many Jews are going to be travelling, or having travelled, or praying or attending services, or otherwise occupying themselves with things other than NationStates.

Sorry but there are religious holidays/festivals etc throughout the year. It is just not reasonable to expect NS to try to avoid all of them. There will inevitably be clashes with events here and there, so folk just need to deal with it.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:59 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Sorry but there are religious holidays/festivals etc throughout the year. It is just not reasonable to expect NS to try to avoid all of them. There will inevitably be clashes with events here and there, so folk just need to deal with it.

Yom Kippur is the holiest day in Judaism.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:01 pm

It's amusing to have N-Day scheduled on a holiday that's about atoning for your sins, though.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:01 pm

East Blepia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Sorry but there are religious holidays/festivals etc throughout the year. It is just not reasonable to expect NS to try to avoid all of them. There will inevitably be clashes with events here and there, so folk just need to deal with it.

Yom Kippur is the holiest day in Judaism.

Makes no difference really. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wave on, wave on

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:02 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Makes no difference really. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes it does. It makes a great deal of difference. This is a whole-day thing, this is like hiking fifteen miles.

Aureumterra III
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra III » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:04 pm

I’m not going to speak for anyone else, but personally, I would place a much higher priority on observing a religious holiday than an online text based satirical political simulator
♔ The Empire of Aureumterra ♔

IIWiki
TL;DR Nordic Oppressive Absolute Empire
Maintainence Thread (Outdated)
Esvanovia, Ajax, etc. member

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:04 pm

East Blepia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Makes no difference really. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes it does. It makes a great deal of difference. This is a whole-day thing, this is like hiking fifteen miles.

No it makes no difference at all, my point still stands regardless.

Wave on, wave on

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:06 pm

Participating in N-Day is completely voluntary, so you could just not join a faction (and therefore stay out of it) until you're done with your religious obligations.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:06 pm

I mean, that's unfortunate and all, but it's not like Yom Kippur completely prevents you from getting on NS. Nor do you need to play on N-day.

East Blepia wrote:It's a holy day. It's not forbidden to use a computer on Christmas, but I doubt that you will see practicing Christians doing it very much and with great focus. Many Jews are going to be travelling, or having travelled, or praying or attending services, or otherwise occupying themselves with things other than NationStates.

Every Christmas dinner I've been to has the older folks watching a football game and the younger ones on their phones while we wait to eat. Of course I'm sure that's quite different from Yom Kippur celebrations, but people certainly can find time to play NS during holidays.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 pm

The New California Republic wrote:No it makes no difference at all, my point still stands regardless.

It makes a great deal of difference. It's like scheduling some very important assembly (e.g. a town meeting) for Christmas Day. It's totally disrespectful to Jews.
Last edited by East Blepia on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:09 pm

Brettenwald wrote:Participating in N-Day is completely voluntary, so you could just not join a faction (and therefore stay out of it) until you're done with your religious obligations.

If you want to really observe the holiday and not just use it as an excuse for a family gathering it is going to be an all-day thing.

Tranzoria
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tranzoria » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:09 pm

The New California Republic wrote:

I'd say the number of Jews that participate in NS is likely small, and those who want to participate in N-Day will be even less; so you might want to reconsider "a lot of people"...

Also, I don't see N-Day in the following list of Yom Kippur prohibitions. unless you want to be really creative with how you interpret them:

No eating and drinking
No bathing or washing
No marital relations

Over here.
A Naive Nation in the Bay Area of California who has fought too many wars to count. NSG's Resident Yes-man.
Raider, Writer and Rickroll Fanatic.
Recent News: Tranzoria joins Israel-Palestine discussion-promises no flaming

Pro: Choice, Democracy, Acknowledgment, PR Statehood
Anti:Terrorism, Racism, Karenism, People who pour the Milk first

Guy
Ambassador

Postby Guy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:09 pm

Hey mate. I get that your real-life experience is probably rather limited. Some of us have actually scheduled a community event before, and have had regard to avoiding clashes with days of cultural significance. This is literally happens for every community or corporate event.

Had the event been scheduled for 24 hours later, or 1 week later, it is very unlikely that would have posed a scheduling issue of this magnitude. Therefore, the request is for the admin team to have regard for this in the future.

Lastly, this doesn't affect you. People have raised concerns with the timing. If admin feels that in future years they are able to avoid this clash, there is only benefit from that. There is literally no harm to you here, so the only thing that can be concluded is that you want the event to clash with Yom Kippur.

Side 3 wrote:Every Christmas dinner I've been to has the older folks watching a football game and the younger ones on their phones while we wait to eat. Of course I'm sure that's quite different from Yom Kippur celebrations, but people certainly can find time to play NS during holidays.

No it's literally forbidden throughout the whole day. Please, if you don't know what Yom Kippur is about, just be quiet.
Last edited by Guy on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm

East Blepia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:No it makes no difference at all, my point still stands regardless.

It makes a great deal of difference. It's like scheduling some very important assembly (e.g. a town meeting) for Christmas Day. It's totally disrespectful to Jews.

And now I just think you are really overstating the importance of N-Day.

Wave on, wave on

Tranzoria
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tranzoria » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm

East Blepia wrote:

Because it evolves around War? Or because we will miss it. Either way, it's fun.
A Naive Nation in the Bay Area of California who has fought too many wars to count. NSG's Resident Yes-man.
Raider, Writer and Rickroll Fanatic.
Recent News: Tranzoria joins Israel-Palestine discussion-promises no flaming

Pro: Choice, Democracy, Acknowledgment, PR Statehood
Anti:Terrorism, Racism, Karenism, People who pour the Milk first

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm

Side 3 wrote:Every Christmas dinner I've been to has the older folks watching a football game and the younger ones on their phones while we wait to eat. Of course I'm sure that's quite different from Yom Kippur celebrations, but people certainly can find time to play NS during holidays.

It's a holiday. It's a religious observance. They could have had some decent consideration.

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm

East Blepia wrote:It makes a great deal of difference. It's like scheduling some very important assembly (e.g. a town meeting) for Christmas Day. It's totally disrespectful to Jews.

Oh come on, now you're stretching it. If N-Day being on Yom Kippur is that disrespectful to you, don't play it. This isn't a mandatory function you have to attend to, you can completely skip it if you want.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical