NATION

PASSWORD

Interesting factual questions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Interesting factual questions

Postby Feline Goetland » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:13 pm

There are some interesting questions about reality I would like to ask you guys.

1. Pastor John Andrews handled a venomous snake, believing that he would not be harmed by the venom, was bitten by the snake, refused medical attention because he still believed that he would recover due to divine assistance and died.

Questions:
a. Does Pastor Andrews still exist?
b. If so, where is Pastor Andrews?
c. Was the action of handling a venomous snake beneficial or harmful to him? Why?

2. Mr. Ibrahim Ali joined the Sunni Islamist militant group, al-Nusra Front. He then died due to a bullet from the Syrian Army.

Questions:
a. Does Mr. Ali still exist?
b. If so, where is Mr. Ali?
c. Was Mr. Ali dying in the war against Assad regime beneficial or harmful to himself?

3. Ms. Mary Idahosa had AIDS. She believed that T.B. Joshua was a real Christian prophet, supposedly got healed by him, refused to take medicine and died due to AIDS.

Questions:
a. Does Ms. Idahosa still exist?
b. If so, where is Ms. Idahosa?
c. Was Ms.Idahosa forgoing medical treatment in favor of T.B. Joshua’s miracle healing beneficial or harmful to herself?
Goetland is not China.

China as a state is inherently evil which needs to be rectified by oppressed nations controlled by it regaining our righteous independence just like the independence of Finland, Baltic States, Poland and Ukraine from iterations of the Russian empire.

No more anti-Anglo, antisemitic and anti-Japanese nonsense, no more communist party, no more theft of wealth from Wu-speaking lands by Beijing, no more Boxer Rebellion-style xenophobia and it’s modern successors. America, Israel and Japan are inherently awesome.

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:42 pm

What do you mean 'still exist'? Do you mean physically alive, spiritually alive, or something else? Because for the first one it's obvious that they're dead. If you meant spiritually alive that's a matter of faith. Since I'm a liberal Christian I can't really say anything for the Mr Ali. Even if I did try to answer for the rest my faith isn't that strong anymore.

The question you ask really depends on how religious the person is.

As for question c, all I can say is that all of them are a bit extreme in their faith, trying to survive through/do life-threatening things without any help. God can work miracles, but it's a matter of when he chooses to do it.

The question of why you would refuse medical help though is a while ' other level
johnathan

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:56 pm

a) No
b) question is meaningless if a=no
c) question is meaningless if a=no

A person who dies ceases to be a person, so cannot be "better/worse off"
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:57 pm

Twicetagram and JYPe wrote:What do you mean 'still exist'? Do you mean physically alive, spiritually alive, or something else? Because for the first one it's obvious that they're dead. If you meant spiritually alive that's a matter of faith. Since I'm a liberal Christian I can't really say anything for the Mr Ali. Even if I did try to answer for the rest my faith isn't that strong anymore.

As for question c, all I can say is that all of them are a bit extreme in their faith, trying to survive through/do life-threatening things without any help. God can work miracles, but it's a matter of when he chooses to do it.

The question of why you would refuse medical help though is a while ' other level

My point is that obviously it is impossible for people who disagree on religious premises to agree on facts, let alone other stuff.
Last edited by Feline Goetland on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goetland is not China.

China as a state is inherently evil which needs to be rectified by oppressed nations controlled by it regaining our righteous independence just like the independence of Finland, Baltic States, Poland and Ukraine from iterations of the Russian empire.

No more anti-Anglo, antisemitic and anti-Japanese nonsense, no more communist party, no more theft of wealth from Wu-speaking lands by Beijing, no more Boxer Rebellion-style xenophobia and it’s modern successors. America, Israel and Japan are inherently awesome.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:04 am

Feline Goetland wrote:
Twicetagram and JYPe wrote:What do you mean 'still exist'? Do you mean physically alive, spiritually alive, or something else? Because for the first one it's obvious that they're dead. If you meant spiritually alive that's a matter of faith. Since I'm a liberal Christian I can't really say anything for the Mr Ali. Even if I did try to answer for the rest my faith isn't that strong anymore.

My point is that obviously it is impossible for people who disagree on religious premises to agree on facts, let alone other stuff.

We can agree on facts like the color of the sky, or even political "facts" like Nixon was a crook.

You have tailored some questions deliberately to create disagreement between those who believe in the soul, and others. And then between people who believe in heaven and others. Also between believers in a loving "god" who would never punish people in the afterlife, and the ... other kind of "god".

It does not matter to me whether I can reach agreement with religious OR atheist people. The universe I live in is just the same whether there are god(s) or not. If a person is hanging other ideas like creationism or moral rules on abortion, from their religious beliefs, then they are just exercising bad method in knowing and interacting with the world. We live in the same universe but I have a clearer view of it, since I avoid as much as possible beliefs that cannot be proven or disproven.

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:08 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:

We can agree on facts like the color of the sky, or even political "facts" like Nixon was a crook.

You have tailored some questions deliberately to create disagreement between those who believe in the soul, and others. And then between people who believe in heaven and others. Also between believers in a loving "god" who would never punish people in the afterlife, and the ... other kind of "god".

It does not matter to me whether I can reach agreement with religious OR atheist people. The universe I live in is just the same whether there are god(s) or not. If a person is hanging other ideas like creationism or moral rules on abortion, from their religious beliefs, then they are just exercising bad method in knowing and interacting with the world. We live in the same universe but I have a clearer view of it, since I avoid as much as possible beliefs that cannot be proven or disproven.

I disagree. You just haven’t found people whose religion requires them to believe that the sky is black or Nixon was awesome. All beliefs are religion-dependent. People with different religious beliefs don’t just disagree on whether their deities exist. They also disagree on issues such as whether a random person is in hell and whether certain actions are ethical. Issues such as faith healing and religious warfare are unavoidable.
Last edited by Feline Goetland on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Goetland is not China.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:12 am

Feline Goetland wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I disagree. You just haven’t found people whose religion requires them to believe that the sky is black or Nixon was awesome. All beliefs are religion-dependent.

I disagree. I think you're just making stuff up.

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:
I disagree. You just haven’t found people whose religion requires them to believe that the sky is black or Nixon was awesome. All beliefs are religion-dependent.

I disagree. I think you're just making stuff up.

Not really. Mainstream modern western societies are really implicitly atheistic which is why courts actually believe that a child refused healthcare and died due to their parents’ religious beliefs really suffered and that it is a problem. From a religious POV on the other hand maybe the child is in heaven and nothing is wrong. Same for people who died due to jihad. Some believe these perished jihadists are in heaven and that dying in jihad is beneficial. Others believe that these people are in hell and that jihad sucks since Islam or that sect of Islam is factually inaccurate. Still others believe that they no longer exist and that dying in jihad is essentially equivalent to suicide.

If we can’t even agree on facts how can we agree on what to do?
Last edited by Feline Goetland on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Goetland is not China.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:45 am

Do your homework somewhere else.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:17 am

Feline Goetland wrote:

Every single religious person can agree that 1+1=2 right?
johnathan

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:15 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:

We can agree on facts like the color of the sk.

Can we? When you ask people they will often say it is blue. Machines however will tell you that violet is actually the dominantly scattered colour.in the visible spectrum and thst our eyes are deceiving us due to them favouring certain colours over others. Other animals have different eyes and visible spectra and will disagree. On a cloudy day the sky is grey. At night it is black with stars.

So.. what colour is it ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:37 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Can we? When you ask people they will often say it is blue. Machines however will tell you that violet is actually the dominantly scattered colour.in the visible spectrum and thst our eyes are deceiving us due to them favouring certain colours over others. Other animals have different eyes and visible spectra and will disagree. On a cloudy day the sky is grey. At night it is black with stars.

So.. what colour is it ?

Safety orange.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:38 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

So.. what colour is it ?

I live in Yorkshire. The sky is grey.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Dofstrittopia
Civilian

Founded: Sep 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Dofstrittopia » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:55 am

Feline Goetland wrote:There are some interesting questions about reality I would like to ask you guys.

1. Pastor John Andrews handled a venomous snake, believing that he would not be harmed by the venom, was bitten by the snake, refused medical attention because he still believed that he would recover due to divine assistance and died.

Questions:
c. Was the action of handling a venomous snake beneficial or harmful to him? Why?

2. Mr. Ibrahim Ali joined the Sunni Islamist militant group, al-Nusra Front. He then died due to a bullet from the Syrian Army.

Questions:
c. Was Mr. Ali dying in the war against Assad regime beneficial or harmful to himself?

3. Ms. Mary Idahosa had AIDS. She believed that T.B. Joshua was a real Christian prophet, supposedly got healed by him, refused to take medicine and died due to AIDS.

Questions:
c. Was Ms.Idahosa forgoing medical treatment in favor of T.B. Joshua’s miracle healing beneficial or harmful to herself?

Some of these questions are pretty good, some are meaningless. No offense.

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:58 am

Dofstrittopia wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:There are some interesting questions about reality I would like to ask you guys.

Questions:

Questions:

Questions:

Some of these questions are pretty good, some are meaningless. No offense.

Because you are secular and hence b)s are all meaningless to you?
Goetland is not China.

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 am

Twicetagram and JYPe wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:

Every single religious person can agree that 1+1=2 right?

Not necessarily. What I do know is that if a religion insists on 1+1=3 it will be proclaimed wherever it spreads.
Goetland is not China.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:05 am

Can Feline Goetland name me one actual religion that refuses to believe in the existence of forum.nationstates.net?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:59 am

1. A. Yes
B. The after life (Heaven or Hell is for God to judge not me)
C. Harmful- if God didn't want the snake to be venomous, He wouldn't have given it venom.
[size=small]Also, Judges 11 warns against doing foolish things like that, but we can't be sure that he knows of that passage[/size]

1. A. Yes
C. Harmful, considering that my religion says that the best a war can be is the lesser of two evils, and only when fighting against an evil regime

3. A. Yes
C. Harmful- Christianity doesn't have prophets post Jesus, and even if we did, or even if she was ignorant to that, what made her so sure that Joshua was prophet? And why did he tell her to refuse medical treatment? Why didn't he tell her he's not a prophet. Was he a cult leader?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:04 am

Tinhampton wrote:Can Feline Goetland name me one actual religion that refuses to believe in the existence of forum.nationstates.net?

Does flat-earthism count as a religion ? Many of those deny Australia exists; which means that Australian products like Nationstates cannot exist either.

And yes, Australian flat-earthers exist for the ultimate irony.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:40 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Can Feline Goetland name me one actual religion that refuses to believe in the existence of forum.nationstates.net?

Does flat-earthism count as a religion ? Many of those deny Australia exists; which means that Australian products like Nationstates cannot exist either.

That actually makes more sense. You can walk all around the coast and confirm that the ocean horizon is unbroken.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:11 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Does flat-earthism count as a religion ? Many of those deny Australia exists; which means that Australian products like Nationstates cannot exist either.

That actually makes more sense. You can walk all around the coast and confirm that the ocean horizon is unbroken.

Given this is Australia we are talking about I am not sure you could try that and survive the experience. I mean spiders and serpents and platupy! Oh my!
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:18 am

Purpelia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Given this is Australia we are talking about I am not sure you could try that and survive the experience. I mean spiders and serpents and platupy! Oh my!

People have done it actually. It's only 17,000 km. :o

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:21 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Given this is Australia we are talking about I am not sure you could try that and survive the experience. I mean spiders and serpents and platupy! Oh my!

People have done it actually. It's only 17,000 km. :o

I was making a joke about how Australia is a death world. :p
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:13 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:

We can agree on facts like the color of the sky,

I assume that the blind and colour blind would probably beg to differ, however, since I fit neighter catagory, I have no way of knowing if I'm right or wrong
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:13 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:

We can agree on facts like the color of the sky,

I assume that the blind and colour blind would probably beg to differ, however, since I fit neighter catagory, I have no way of knowing if I'm right or wrong

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General