NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Flag Bracket II (Congratulations to Albali!)

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:01 am

So this is something that I thought I have tried while this contest is still going on. Allow me to introduce: The Prominent Colors of the Categories!

Basically, I observed and looked at the flags' rankings, and using Python and other Computational Wizardry, I have managed to map out 1-3 prominent colors of each of the flags. For Top 8 and Top 16, I picked the 4 most prominent colors in each flag, then 3 prominent color, then 1 dominant color for Top 128.

Data used. Please do note that not all flags in the brackets might be present either due to the lack of data, or the inability of the code to interpret the image. Some of the flags are still not included due to the inconclusive nature of the contest (e.g. I am not sure if a flag is gonna be Top 4, or Top 8).

Some colors might be botched because I narrowed them down to 300 height. Width is variable, depends on aspect ratio.
EDIT: And so is this one, fixed.
EDIT: Top 64 has been recently fixed. Excel dropped the non-significant zero, which is still important! "50146" is NOT "050146" in Hex!

Hope you like it! ♥

-----

Some of the sources:
- Python: Find most dominant color in an image.
- Python: Convert RGB to Hex.
- Excel VBA: Automatically color cell from 6-digit Hex.

-----

There was an attempt with a histogram, but it was not as interesting, and it was difficult to interpret the data. You never know what color they are supposed to be, other than that the spikes indicate that, for example, Blue 100 (out of 255) is pretty frequent.

As for how I got the flags? ... I saved them one by one. No other way around this. :P
Fun game: Top 128 is too hard, so for Top 64 and above, see if you can identify your flag from the 3 colors alone!
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:33 am, edited 10 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:29 am

@Valentine Z
Can you change your own flag with the color codes you see in the picture ? and tell me your opinion :)
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:08 am

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:@Valentine Z
Can you change your own flag with the color codes you see in the picture ? and tell me your opinion :)

Unfortunately, in my most very honest opinion, I don't really like the colors. :/ I mean, it is a good exercise that is for sure, but it just doesn't stick with me.

On another note, I'm sorry that you got the blunt end of my anger a few days back. Suffice to say that personal issues got in the way, but that's not an excuse to lash out on someone else. I know I have said this so many times, and had it happen on other people, but yeah. My apologies!
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

New Solaurora
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Solaurora » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:39 pm

Paradeavenlisian States wrote:RNG. That's why.
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:The matches are picked by RNG with a small amount of human interference to prevent 4-way matches and matches between two of the same submitter's flags.

I know. That was an attempt at a jest. Apparently a very poor attempt.
---------
New Solaurora
---------

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:48 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:@Valentine Z

Unfortunately, in my most very honest opinion, I don't really like the colors. :/ I mean, it is a good exercise that is for sure, but it just doesn't stick with me.

On another note, I'm sorry that you got the blunt end of my anger a few days back. Suffice to say that personal issues got in the way, but that's not an excuse to lash out on someone else. I know I have said this so many times, and had it happen on other people, but yeah. My apologies!

If it were like this, I liked it more. I'm glad to hear your opinion on these colors :hug:
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Paradeavenlisian States
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Paradeavenlisian States » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:03 pm

New Solaurora wrote:I know. That was an attempt at a jest. Apparently a very poor attempt.

Oh, I see then. I didn't know it was a jest. Apologies.
Paradiraneami Taihou | ParadeavenlisianStates | ᚚᚐᚏᚐᚇᚔᚏᚐᚅᚓᚐᚋᚔ ᚈᚐᚔᚆᚑᚒ
MAJOR OVERHAUL ONGOING

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:55 am

Three-way match: The Albalian Kingdom (by Fallen Albali) wins, Paradeavenlisian States - Main Flag is second and Sildorian Empire is third; vote total is 13-8-5.
Congratulations to Albali for making it all the way to the final round!

Semifinals Match 2
Three-way match
Samantha-Higgs (by Valentine Z) vs Kycci Province (by Onocarcass) vs Esceanian Union (by Paradeavenlisian States)
Vote for your favorite flag and, if you want, explain your preference in the thread!

Due to a large number of nominations earlier, no new flags may be nominated for an Honorable Mentions. Everyone in the top 8 will receive a prize - these matches will determine just how large that prize is!

Samantha-Higgs
The current flag of my dictatorship nation, which I went for subtlety instead of for obviousness. The Morse Code says: "Bow down to your Eternal Ruler."

Kycci Province

Esceanian Union
The red represents the phoenixes as the co-inhabitants while the blue represents the maritime culture that has been associated with the native Homo Coelum. The white stripe represents the peaceful interactions between the humanoids and the phoenixes. And, lastly, the torches represent prosperity and hope maintained throughout the Esceanian Union.

My opinion: Again, all of these are excellent flags, but my vote has to go to Samantha-Higgs. It's just a really good design, with creative use of symbols and appealing colors. Esceanian Union comes very close, though.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:39 am

Also, I've corrected the dates on all of the honorable mention trophies. Here are the new ones:
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:50 am

I know self-nominations are frowned upon, but yeah, no worries! I am just going to put them in my Dispatch, even as participation trophies.

Just need to hold my tongue for Samantha-Higgs and Alanis Star! ♥
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:04 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Also, I've corrected the dates on all of the honorable mention trophies. Here are the new ones:

I think it should be a short competition over these flags :)
Last edited by Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Fallen Albali
Secretary

Founded: Mar 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Fallen Albali » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:20 am

haha, yes boys
Never expected I'd get this far; good luck to the other three and I look forward to going against any one of you in the final :hug:
Albali has fallen and the galaxy is cold and dark.
Roulons News Network | Genocide on a galactic scale will never not be funny. | Fluttershy sucks. | You are hot chocolate with water; I am hot chocolate with milk. We are not the same.
IC year is 2044 | Tech level is basically FT with no spaceships | Population is ~12.6 million
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 1st place! | Proud Admiral of the Fuster Cluck Coalition; P5 twice in a row!

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:47 am

Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Kromi
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kromi » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:18 pm

Samantha-Higgs, It's quite unique with the morse code and about the other flags, the 2nd one is a close second too. But the third one, I'm sadly tired of seeing that same flag with different colours.
English: The 2nd Federation Of Kromi
Malay: Federasi Kromi Kedua
Never gonna give you up,
This nation doesn't represent my views;
and I nerfed my nation alot, Lol.
Placeholder
Kromi | The flag of Kromi |

Kurzgesagt: Westernised Malaysia
A 16 civilization, according to this index
Year: 2045 (Alt Timeline)
Krominese News: THE HISTORY OF KROMI IS BEING RETYPED 

Wolfana
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Wolfana » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:32 pm

Samantha Higgs has a very satisfying flag in my opinion. It’s a really smooth design that makes my brain say “ wow that’s pretty cool”
Commandant of the Mystical Guard and Lunar Councilor of the Dark Moon

The Main Roleplay nation of Wolflandil

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:50 am

Samantha-Higgs (by Valentine Z) wins, Esceanian Union (by Paradeavenlisian States) is second and Kycci Province (by Onocarcass) is third; vote total is 18-9-5.
Congrats Valentine Z - you have made it to the final round!

Final Round
Samantha-Higgs (by Valentine Z) vs The Albalian Kingdom (by Fallen Albali)
Vote for your favorite flag and, if you want, explain your preference in the thread!

At last, the final round is here! One of these two flags will be crowned the best flag on NationStates and awarded one of NationStates' most valuable legendary cards!

Samantha-Higgs
The current flag of my dictatorship nation, which I went for subtlety instead of for obviousness. The Morse Code says: "Bow down to your Eternal Ruler."

The Albalian Kingdom
The Albalian Kingdom's flag has been the longest-lived of all of Albali's flags, going unaltered for hundreds upon hundreds of years. The origins of the raptor has already been explained for the Republic's flag, so I won't explain it here. Blue and gold have traditionally been symbols of wealth in ancient times; gold because of the actual element of gold which was just as valuable to an alien community as it was for humans. Blue came from having blue clothing, as blue dyes were extremely rare and could only be afforded by the richest of the richest. Despite that no longer being the case, the connotations of associating the colour blue with outrageous wealth continued. A stylised wreath of olive branches sits below the raptor, representing one simple thing: victory. Meanwhile, the crown sitting higher than the stars above the raptor is no coincidence; it represents the power of the monarch - and by extension the state - being greater than that of even the stars themselves. This arrogant attitude had brought war to Albali's doorsteps more than once.

My opinion: We've narrowed it down to these two excellent - and oddly similar - flags. Between the two, I think the Albalian Kingdom's flag is the most deserving of being called the best flag on NationStates. It's an excellent design, representing its nation well while still keeping it simple.

Though I won't be able to host another Flag Bracket for some time, I should be able to dedicate as much time as necessary over the next two days to properly finish this bracket. Once again, thanks everyone very much for participating!
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:52 am

You forgot to put my name on the spoiler. ^^;

With that said... no comment! May the best flag win, and I wish Albali all the best! ♥
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:56 am

Valentine Z wrote:You forgot to put my name on the spoiler. ^^;

With that said... no comment! May the best flag win, and I wish Albali all the best! ♥

Fixed! And good luck!
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:01 am

And now for something different! The color histograms of the two final flags! ♥

Top: Samantha-Higgs.
Bottom: The Albali Kingdom.

Just to show that the two flags kindaaaa share the same Green and Blue values, with a bit of Red difference. :3 Absolute frequency doesn't really determine since the flag sizes are somewhat different from one another.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Fallen Albali
Secretary

Founded: Mar 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Fallen Albali » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:07 pm

This is fucking incredible
If you told me when this bracket first began that you and I would be in the final together, I would have been very sceptical

Good luck Vally, if you win it'll be very well deserved ♥ :hug:
Albali has fallen and the galaxy is cold and dark.
Roulons News Network | Genocide on a galactic scale will never not be funny. | Fluttershy sucks. | You are hot chocolate with water; I am hot chocolate with milk. We are not the same.
IC year is 2044 | Tech level is basically FT with no spaceships | Population is ~12.6 million
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 1st place! | Proud Admiral of the Fuster Cluck Coalition; P5 twice in a row!

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:34 pm

Fallen Albali wrote:

This is fucking incredible
If you told me when this bracket first began that you and I would be in the final together, I would have been very sceptical

Good luck Vally, if you win it'll be very well deserved ♥ :hug:

And good luck to you as well! Seems like you are in very good odds, and I am all the more happy for it. :hug:
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:47 pm

This bracket was clearly biased. My flags were clearly the best flags in all of history. smh

Jokes aside, wow. I can't believe it's almost over already. It does not feel like it's been that long since this whole Bracket started, even though it's been so long that a few nations have CTE. Regardless though, I wish the best of luck to the last two. I personally have already voted for the Albali Kingdom because of the color scheme and overall design.
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All shall tremble before me

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:52 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:This bracket was clearly biased. My flags were clearly the best flags in all of history. smh

Jokes aside, wow. I can't believe it's almost over already. It does not feel like it's been that long since this whole Bracket started, even though it's been so long that a few nations have CTE. Regardless though, I wish the best of luck to the last two. I personally have already voted for the Albali Kingdom because of the color scheme and overall design.

The competition started on May, and is ending on September. I swear it felt like the competition has been running for 6 months, i.e. until December / started on March!
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Valentine Z wrote:And now for something different! The color histograms of the two final flags! ♥

Top: Samantha-Higgs.
Bottom: The Albali Kingdom.

Just to show that the two flags kindaaaa share the same Green and Blue values, with a bit of Red difference. :3 Absolute frequency doesn't really determine since the flag sizes are somewhat different from one another.

This is cool.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Bloodshade
Diplomat

Founded: May 28, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Bloodshade » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:12 pm

I'm honestly really happy I got 8th. Hell, this was my first flag I ever created on my time in NS so it kinda warms heart to see my own creation be so appreciated.

In any case, all the best to the last two contestants. It's been a fun ride from start to finish. Might make a few more flags for whenever the next one's about to announced.
An interstellar civilization that survived the self-induced destruction of its now long-gone homeworld and is trying to live the good life, all the while avoiding getting its ass kicked around.
Bloodshade Broadcasting Company| Actually re-writing my lore, I should't be on the forums but I am | Updated my video game screenshots, features Planet Zoo and Warhammer 2 | I need sleep but sleep doesn't need me | Edelgard is the cutest warmonger |

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Bloodshade wrote:I'm honestly really happy I got 8th. Hell, this was my first flag I ever created on my time in NS so it kinda warms heart to see my own creation be so appreciated.

In any case, all the best to the last two contestants. It's been a fun ride from start to finish. Might make a few more flags for whenever the next one's about to announced.

7th, actually :)
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives