NATION

PASSWORD

[R] Trolling in 8yr old arrested for punching teacher thread

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
North American Imperial State
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

[R] Trolling in 8yr old arrested for punching teacher thread

Postby North American Imperial State » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:22 pm

i sometimes post on the forums, sometimes i don't, you will never know

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:28 pm

North American Imperial State wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=37515743#p37515743

Ask him for a source on the horse raping thing. Given Cenk Uygur's history of controversy, it's possible. Then we'll see.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:41 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
North American Imperial State wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=37515743#p37515743

Ask him for a source on the horse raping thing. Given Cenk Uygur's history of controversy, it's possible. Then we'll see.

Ok thank you

Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:44 am

Farnhamia wrote:

He has sent me the source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssqjxt2m_Aw

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:38 am

North American Imperial State wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Ask him for a source on the horse raping thing. Given Cenk Uygur's history of controversy, it's possible. Then we'll see.

I looked it up myself. Not actionable.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:46 am

Farnhamia wrote:
North American Imperial State wrote:

I looked it up myself. Not actionable.

Thank you anyways

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:34 pm

Same thread, so I thought I'd post this here to save space.

Considering that at least one poster in the thread is known to be a teacher, this seems like potential trolling or possibly baiting; not least calling teachers "weak", "pointless", and branding anyone who teaches voluntarily as a "snowflake" (emphases mine):
Purpelia wrote:I went to school. If you think teachers have authority, or hell that teachers are for the most part not the weak and pointless underbelly of the professional world than you are wrong. I mean sure, you get the occasional snowflake that is there voluntarily. But for the most part he who does not know teaches is very much true. And teaching jobs are where dreams of professional success come to die.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:25 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Same thread, so I thought I'd post this here to save space.

Considering that at least one poster in the thread is known to be a teacher, this seems like potential trolling or possibly baiting; not least calling teachers "weak", "pointless", and branding anyone who teaches voluntarily as a "snowflake" (emphases mine):
Purpelia wrote:I went to school. If you think teachers have authority, or hell that teachers are for the most part not the weak and pointless underbelly of the professional world than you are wrong. I mean sure, you get the occasional snowflake that is there voluntarily. But for the most part he who does not know teaches is very much true. And teaching jobs are where dreams of professional success come to die.

Addressed.
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:09 pm

I was not trolling. I was accurately recounting my life experience. The fact some people might find that offensive does not change the fact that that was indeed my life experience. And not just mine either. My teachers sucked. All of them. There was not a single one of them that taught me or anyone I personally know several steps removed that was not in fact a failed professional who couldn't get a real job so ended up in a school to pay their bills. Art teachers were failed artists, sports teachers were failed athletes and the various professional teachers were people who often openly admitted that the reason they worked in a school was because they couldn't find a job in the industry. And I mean often. Like 50% of them openly said that to us in class. I even had a teacher who openly said, and I quote word for word (with translation) "A [my profession] that has any self respect does not work in a school." He just said it. Without prompting or anything. Just in the middle of a lecture in front of a bunch of highschool kids.

The only exception to this were a couple substitutes that came along from time to time. And they would always follow the same path of going from optimistic enthusiasm and big dreams of being the ideal movie teacher that's going to get along with the kids and be a role model and everything to literally becoming broken men and women that hated their job and life and us in about 3-4 months. And I wasn't even in a particularly problematic school either. Like we had zero actual violence or anything. The worst that ever happened was that some guy got drunk and lost some school supplies. It was just the stress of dealing with a bunch of immature idiots that don't care about what you are teaching and would rather be anywhere but in class with you and did everything in their power to make sure you knew that fact.

It was not until I got to university that I met a single educational professional worth respecting. And all of those were essentially people from the industry that had a side gig teaching.

So I do not see what I did wrong here. All I did was state the facts of the matter as they are. What was I supposed to do?
Am I supposed to lie about these facts and pretend they didn't happen just so as to not potentially offend people? Am I supposed to pretend that bad teachers don't exist and don't make up the majority simply because there are teachers in this forum that claim (without proof I might add) to be good at their job? I am sure plenty of my teachers went home and posted on facebook how they were teacher of the year too. And this is all happening in a thread where the point of contention came from an arguably very bad teacher to begin with.

I mean, fundamentally what you are saying here is that I not supposed to engage in any debate where the facts of the matter might offend people. And that is honestly unreasonable.

As for those teachers on this forum. If they really are good teachers they should not be offended by my statements. They should be horrified and strengthened in their resolve newer to be like those people. Just as every time I hear a nightmare story about bad software developers or work with badly designed software it strengthens my resolve to do better and not be that guy. If that is not the case, and they are instead offended. Than I genuinely say they are not as good a teacher or professional as they think they are.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:32 pm

There is a difference between "I didn't really have any good teachers growing up" (i.e. relating personal experience) and "all teachers are pathetic, worthless, and incompetent."

It should not come as a surprise that actual phrasing and word choice matter very heavily in determining whether or not you are trolling. Trolling boils down to context and phrasing. If you choose to not see the nuance and instead decide that you are no longer allowed to engage in debate, then yes, perhaps you should refrain in the future.

Thank you!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:43 pm

I shall comply and leave the thread. There is no point in getting even more trouble over teachers. God knows they've done enough for me.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation