NATION

PASSWORD

The dehumanization of convicted and alleged criminals

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you believe that felons are dehumanized?

1: Yes
74%
2: No
17%
3: Maybe/other
9%

Total votes : 23

Asardia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

The dehumanization of convicted and alleged criminals

Postby Asardia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:04 pm

Something that has bothered me for a long time is how we treat those convicted and accused of crimes. I'm not asking anyone to love these people, but many of them are American citizens, and thus they awarded the same constitutional rights as anyone else. I'll see incidents like George Floyd, where people straight up defend his death as "he did horrible things in the past, so why are you protesting/worried about it"?

The 5th amendment says:
...nor shall any person.... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law...

The 8th amendment says:
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

The 14th amendment says:
...nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The Declaration of Independence says:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

With cases such as George Floyd, people conveniently forget that we have 3 amendments that explicitly prohibit the type of treatment he received. "Oh, he's a criminal, he got what was coming to him". The Founding Fathers would beg to differ. Someone's criminal past does not mean that they aren't entitled to the same protections as any other American citizen.

The same argument gets extended to felons who can't vote. I believe this is morally wrong. I'm not opposed to preventing currently imprisoned people from voting, but once they did their time, they should be allowed a chance to re-enter society. However, felony disenfranchisement keeps people down. The cycle of poverty persists due to societal restrictions placed on people who have been "released" from prison. I would like to make the claim that these people have not been released; rather, they were simply given the illusion of freedom.

With the War on Drugs, a similar idea is applied. Drug addicts are sent to prison for decades. Our prisons don't focus on rehabilitation, but instead, punishment. I believe society treats felons as a burden. A group that is below the law-abiding sector.

Am I wrong in these assumptions? Are there just a few isolated cases that become mainstream news? Personally, I believe we do have a problem with grouping convicted felons into the "less-than" category.
Last edited by Asardia on Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If money is where you find happiness you'll always be poor
Often its not the driver but the passengers that find the right path

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

5pb wrote:"I'm cutting it off," Ayano raised an axe above her head

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:12 pm

If people are defending the way George Floyd was treated, that is messed up. Those cops had plenty of time to put him in the car while he was still conscious and take him down to the station to have his case processed. There was no need to kill him.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Outer Acharet
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 29, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Outer Acharet » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:14 pm

Maybe? I mean, there's some aspect of truth to the statement that punishment isn't meant to be nice and cushy.

But US prisons don't rehabilitate people. And a criminal record is such a black stain in the US that you're fucked if you get one. Say goodbye to working in a job that's not minimum wage service for the rest of your life. Calling prisons rehabilitation facilities is just slapping a fresh coat of paint on them, not fixing the problem. And worse, it lies to the public what they're there for- rehabilitation, rather than punishment. I'd imagine the Founders didn't think felony convictions would extend to as many things as they did, but rather things it made sense to restrict voting rights to, like severe cases of robbery or assault. Not "oh, you smoked a joint, have fun never voting!"
Last edited by Outer Acharet on Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⠀✭⠀THE STATE OF ACHARET⠀✭⠀
The puppet that just won't stay dead has crawled its way out of the grave once more.
oh shit oh fuck why is there a black huey full of angry canadians trying to kill me-

Some Other... Things: Kiu GhesikMiranda-22CBG-Palisade
Overview - Soon | Leadership - Soon

News? What news? News is for people who don't have a bloated military-industrial complex strangling their apparatus of state. Wait, that sounds like a bad thing, doesn't it?

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:21 pm

USS Monitor wrote:If people are defending the way George Floyd was treated, that is messed up. Those cops had plenty of time to put him in the car while he was still conscious and take him down to the station to have his case processed. There was no need to kill him.

What are you talking about? Of course there was a need!

The wealthy elite needed to remind us filthy poors that only the rich get rights. God forbid any of us lower class people (especially bl*cks) get treated like human beings!

Just think how doubleplus ungood the world would be if the working class had RIGHTS!

/heavy s
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Dollystana
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dollystana » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

The wealthy elite needed to remind us filthy poors that only the rich get rights. God forbid any of us lower class people (especially bl*cks) get treated like human beings!

Just think how doubleplus ungood the world would be if the working class had RIGHTS!

/heavy s

StarClan I hope your joking
I like warrior cats uwu and having fun
Catocratic Constitutional Monarchy.
Economic -3.38 Social -5.28
My views are basically Scandinavia, that's all you need to know
the best book series Eat sleep read warriors repeat. Warriors Wiki
Self-appointed Warrior cat of F7 overvuwu The Truth Behind Area 51 All About Me

Stats not used
If you support cats, put this in your signature.
Perikuresu wrote:All of mothers are hamsters and all of your fathers smelt like elderberries

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:27 pm

Given how I've heard about it in the US, I would say so.
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:What are you talking about? Of course there was a need!

/heavy s

Nonsense. Rights? There's no such word. How doubleplus ungood of you >:(

/another s
Last edited by Nuroblav on Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Mari Banu Simaal
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 14, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mari Banu Simaal » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:30 pm

USS Monitor wrote:If people are defending the way George Floyd was treated, that is messed up. Those cops had plenty of time to put him in the car while he was still conscious and take him down to the station to have his case processed. There was no need to kill him.

/heavy s

This is sadly way too close to the truth. The police have been politicized, and is sicked on "uppity" parts of the people. And yes: those who question the status quo are very quickly slandered, dehumanized, or abused / killed. Conviction is not required: just an allegation may be enough. Remember how that Karen tried to sick the police on a birdwatcher of color who told her to put a leash on her bitch of a dog?

"I am a white woman and a black man is threatening me"

No, Karen, someone (gender and color irrelevant) told you that the rules apply to you too. And if he hadn't filmed the interaction, you may well have killed him with your allegation. Over a f*cking dog leash.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Dollystana wrote:

StarClan I hope your joking

FYI

"/s" is used to explain a post is sarcastic in tone. I thought that was common knowledge.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:40 pm

If we condemned anyone who broke the law even remotely, a majority of Americans would probably be written off as horrible people.

Yeah George Floyd had a drug problem. Unlike Chauvin and Thao, his drug problem didn't kneel on someone till they perished.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Asardia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Asardia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:01 pm

You'd honestly be surprised at how many people defend it. Especially once the riots started happening. YouTube and Reddit is filled with apologetics. It's sad, honestly.

Outer Acharet wrote:Maybe? I mean, there's some aspect of truth to the statement that punishment isn't meant to be nice and cushy.

But US prisons don't rehabilitate people. And a criminal record is such a black stain in the US that you're fucked if you get one. Say goodbye to working in a job that's not minimum wage service for the rest of your life. Calling prisons rehabilitation facilities is just slapping a fresh coat of paint on them, not fixing the problem. And worse, it lies to the public what they're there for- rehabilitation, rather than punishment. I'd imagine the Founders didn't think felony convictions would extend to as many things as they did, but rather things it made sense to restrict voting rights to, like severe cases of robbery or assault. Not "oh, you smoked a joint, have fun never voting!"

Totally agreed. I hope this changes in the future. With a law, Supreme Court ruling, or even an amendment.
If money is where you find happiness you'll always be poor
Often its not the driver but the passengers that find the right path

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

5pb wrote:"I'm cutting it off," Ayano raised an axe above her head

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General