NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Cloud Atlas

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Cloud Atlas

Postby Cretox State » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:27 pm

An issue about the naming of large storms. As always, any feedback is appreciated.

Draft 2: Shifted the premise to cover the granting of access to meteorological data to private corporations (a point of controversy in the US, at least).

Cloud Atlas

Validity: Must allow private industry.

Description
Seeing a prime business opportunity amidst a slew of inaccurate, overly broad, and terribly animated National Weather Service forecasts in recent months, a group of entrepreneurs and corporate representatives have approached you to request that they be given access to the government's meteorological data.

Validity: Must allow computers.
Option 1a
"Your data combined with our supercomputers and industry contacts will ensure that farmers across @@NAME@@ receive accurate and personalized weather reports relevant to their harvests- for a fair price, of course," says McSanto spokesperson @@RANDOMNAME@@, grabbing a mirror off your desk to examine @@HIS@@ sleek and efficient hairstyle. "You need to make government meteorological data free to all who request it. Imagine the innovation! Imagine the profits!"

Effect: the military's new intelligence gathering satellite is the nation's worst-kept secret

Validity: Must not allow computers.
Option 1b
"Your data combined with our infrastructure and industry contacts will ensure that farmers across @@NAME@@ receive accurate and personalized weather reports relevant to their harvests- for a fair price, of course," says McSanto spokesperson @@RANDOMNAME@@, grabbing a mirror off your desk to examine @@HIS@@ sleek and efficient hairstyle. "You need to make government meteorological data free to all who request it. Imagine the innovation! Imagine the profits!"

Effect: the military's new intelligence gathering satellite is the nation's worst-kept secret

Option 2
"What's next, charging people for water?" scoffs your bloated Director of the National Weather Service, crunching the numbers on his abacus. "Profit-minded corporations should never be given access to something so essential as weather forecasting. Give a healthy boost to the Service's budget, and there won't be any question as to our capabilities for a good long while."

Effect: the seven-day @@CAPITAL@@ forecast is "swampy with a chance of tax hikes"

Option 3
"The weather outside is... sunny!" mocks Minister of Finance @@RANDOMNAME@@, looking out the window. "I sure didn't need any fancy forecast or data to know that! All this weather hoopla is nothing but a waste of our time and the taxpayers' money. Cut the entire Weather Service, and let private companies develop their own expensive infrastructure if they really want to. No skin off our backs."

Effect: @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ rely on tarot cards and astrology to plan trips to the beach
Alternate: @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are weathering the storm of nonexistent weather forecasts
Last edited by Cretox State on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:27 pm

Cloud Atlas

Validity: All.

Description
The largest tropical storm seen in decades is currently bearing down on @@NAME@@, and the National Weather Service's proposed name for the calamity has caused quite a stir: Hurricane @@LEADER@@.

Option 1
"SLANDER!" screams your Minister of Homeland Insecurities, defiling a projection of the path of the storm with a black sharpie. "This is clearly a move meant to hit at you and your leadership. Force them to rename the storm, and slash their budget too. That'll show them and their insolence!"

Effect: six-year-olds must register their doll names with the government

Option 2
"We meant you no offence," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, the director of the National Weather Service, sitting down in your chair and propping @@HIS@@ feet up on your desk. "What better way to raise public awareness of the storm's severity than naming it after you? I think we should name all future storms after government initiatives. In fact, why not do it for all major events? 'The Family Values War' has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

Effect: Tropical Storm Government Bonds is set to make landfall later this month

Option 3
"I see an opportunity here," hisses your Minister of Opportunism, trying to sell his broken phone to a junior aide. "This could be a great opportunity to boost your public image. Embrace the storm's name. Say you'll boost disaster relief funding. Stage photo ops with victims, give speeches about how unimaginably well you handled things, and watch your approval soar."

Effect: starving children are daily reminded of how much the government does for them

Option 4
"I love it!" squeals your brother, showing off his hilarious attempt at painting your likeness. "Hurricane @@LEADER@@! @@LEADER@@ Bridge! @@LEADER@@ City! Everything in @@NAME@@ should be named after you!"

Effect: foreign relief supplies are known as "@@LEADER@@ droppings"
Last edited by Cretox State on Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Hurricane names are usually single words. Leader names might be, but very often aren't, once you consider titles, given names, and family names.

Besides, has this ever actually happened? A hurricane coincidentally sharing a name with a current or former national leader because it's a very common name, sure, that probably happens all the time. A hurricane deliberately named after a national leader? Seems unlikely.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Hurricane names are usually single words. Leader names might be, but very often aren't, once you consider titles, given names, and family names.

Besides, has this ever actually happened? A hurricane coincidentally sharing a name with a current or former national leader because it's a very common name, sure, that probably happens all the time. A hurricane deliberately named after a national leader? Seems unlikely.

The premise is that the storm was intentionally named after Leader.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:36 pm

This is clearly a move meant to hit at you

Maybe it's just me, but this feels a little clunky.

and slash their budget too

Consider changing this to "and slash their budget in half!", as it sounds a little stronger.

We meant you no offence,

Consider changing this to "We meant no offence to you,"

hisses

Consider changing this to "whispers", as 'hisses' often has a connotation of anger and venom at someone.

I am a little unsure about option 3. Maybe it's just me, but despite the fact that it deals with the topic of the premise, it feels a little aloof to me. Or at least a little disconnected. It also feels a little like option 2, only this time with a focus on @@LEADER@@. Maybe I'm wrong of course, but perhaps you could see if you can make this option a little more unique.

I love option 4 though!
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:37 pm

Cretox State wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Hurricane names are usually single words. Leader names might be, but very often aren't, once you consider titles, given names, and family names.

The premise is that the storm was intentionally named after Leader.

Still wouldn't happen. Like Trott, they're a single word
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:10 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Cretox State wrote:The premise is that the storm was intentionally named after Leader.

Still wouldn't happen. Like Trott, they're a single word

In the real world, sure. But what about in @@NAME@@, where the National Weather Service has authority over storm naming?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:05 am

Cretox State wrote:In the real world, sure. But what about in @@NAME@@, where the National Weather Service has authority over storm naming?
They're a poor National Weather Service if they choose a name that insults their nation, and also distracts people from focusing on the weather.

Hurricane names aren't supposed to be chosen to make a political statement, they're chosen to be easy to talk about so people don't get confused while following the news about a developing situation that potentially threatens their lives.

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:08 am

If I remember correctly, there was controversy over the naming of storms and hurricanes with exclusively feminine names, so maybe the issue can tackle that?
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:36 am

Vivolkha wrote:If I remember correctly, there was controversy over the naming of storms and hurricanes with exclusively feminine names, so maybe the issue can tackle that?
**ABANDONED** Femme Fatale
[SCRAPPED] You Give Storms a Bad Name
I was a killjoy back then, too.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:06 am

This will be pretty weird if you’re under 750 million population, cause you’ll have Hurricane Leader.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:44 am

Honeydewistania wrote:This will be pretty weird if you’re under 750 million population, cause you’ll have Hurricane Leader.
Better than "Hurricane Prime Minister Marcel Fraser".

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:47 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:This will be pretty weird if you’re under 750 million population, cause you’ll have Hurricane Leader.
Better than "Hurricane Prime Minister Marcel Fraser".

Yeah haha
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:15 pm

I've decided to scrap "Hurricane Leader" and tackle the privatization of weather data instead.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:12 am

I don't see much problem with private companies getting access to weather data, so long as they don't have exclusive access. If it's the government's data originally and they've merely sharing it, there's nothing stopping it from still using it themselves or sharing it with anyone else they like, too.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?