NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Local Ordnance

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Local Ordnance

Postby Cretox State » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 pm

An issue concerning what to do with surplus military equipment; I tried to keep this one short and to the point. As always, any feedback is appreciated.

Draft 2: Reworked option 1.

Local Ordnance

Validity: Must have private industry and high Defense Forces.

Description
A recent spending spree by the nation's armed forces has raised questions over what should be done with the military's newfound surplus of old weapons and equipment.

Validity: Must allow guns.
Option 1a
"Yeehaw!" screams @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ magnate and gun enthusiast @@RANDOMNAME@@, discharging @@HIS@@ pistol in excitement and narrowly missing your secretary. "Citizens' personal arsenals could really use an upgrade! Y'all should auction off your big 'ol stash to the highest bidder. I wanna drive a tank!"

Effect: children of the ultra-wealthy ride armored personnel carriers to school

Validity: Must ban guns.
Option 1b
"Yeehaw!" screams @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ magnate @@RANDOMNAME@@, making finger gun motions at your secretary. "Now's a great time to reverse that silly ban on guns n' all the other fun stuff Then, y'all should auction off your big 'ol stash to the highest bidder. I wanna drive a tank!"

Effect: children of the ultra-wealthy ride armored personnel carriers to school

Option 2
"I believe we could strike a... mutually beneficial arrangement," says local Gentleman's Club owner Thin Tony, surrounded by large men in dark suits. "You're looking to get rid of old hardware, and we're looking to buy. You sell weapons to my associates and I, and everyone's happy. Kapeesh?"

Effect: the government sells spare rocket launchers to local bank robbers

Option 3
"We've identified several terror- uh- freedom fighter cells that are key to ongoing operations in @@REGION@@," barks General @@RANDOMNAME@@, scrubbing @@A@@ @@DEMONYM@@ military insignia off an anti-personnel mine. "We need to get our spare equipment to these freedom terrorists ASAP to really dominate the battlespace! It's not like it would ever be used against us down the line, right?"

Effect: top research facilities churn out increasingly shoddy improvised explosives

Option 4
"Our factories could always use more raw materials," mutters Industry Minister @@RANDOMNAME@@, sipping from a grimy thermos. "Just hear me out on this: We melt down all our old weapons and equipment, and use the scrap to build more! The tanks and big stuff can be repurposed as playgrounds or something. It's the cycle of life! Or death, I guess."

Effect: outdated warships are being converted into affordable housing
Alternate: soldiers literally walk in their ancestors' shoes
Alternate 2: school cafeterias serve old army rations

Option 5
"The military spent HOW much on new toys?!" shrieks Finance Minister @@RANDOMNAME@@, dropping @@HIS@@ gilded monocle into an antique wine glass. "And their existing hardware was perfectly usable, to boot! We need to aggressively slash the military budget, and make it clear that they are to use equipment until it breaks!"

Effect: soldiers charge on horseback into enemy armor columns
Alternate: the nation's close air support is provided by biplanes
Last edited by Cretox State on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:50 pm

Local Ordnance

Validity: Must have high Defense Forces and Arms Manufacturing.

Description
A recent spending spree by the nation's armed forces has raised questions over what should be done with the military's newfound surplus of old weapons and equipment.

Option 1
"Yeehaw!" screams small town Sheriff @@RANDOMNAME@@, discharging @@HIS@@ pistol in excitement and narrowly missing your secretary. "Us local law enforcement could really use an upgrade! Y'all should distribute your big 'ol stash among police departments throughout @@NAME@@, free of charge. I wanna drive a tank!"

Effect: children ride armored personnel carriers to school

Option 2
"I believe we could strike a... mutually beneficial arrangement," says local Gentleman's Club owner Thin Tony, surrounded by large men in dark suits. "You're looking to get rid of old hardware, and we're looking to buy. You sell weapons to my associates and I, and everyone's happy. Kapeesh?"

Effect: the government sells spare rocket launchers to local bank robbers

Option 3
"We've identified several terror- uh- freedom fighter cells that are key to ongoing operations in @@REGION@@," barks General @@RANDOMNAME@@, scrubbing @@A@@ @@DEMONYM@@ military insignia off an anti-personnel mine. "We need to get our spare equipment to these freedom terrorists ASAP to really dominate the battlespace! It's not like it would ever be used against us down the line, right?"

Effect: top research facilities churn out increasingly shoddy improvised explosives

Option 4
"Our factories could always use more raw materials," mutters Industry Minister @@RANDOMNAME@@, sipping from a grimy thermos. "Just hear me out on this: We melt down all our old weapons and equipment, and use the scrap to build more! The tanks and big stuff can be repurposed as playgrounds or something. It's the cycle of life! Or death, I guess."

Effect: outdated warships are being converted into affordable housing
Alternate: soldiers literally walk in their ancestors' shoes
Alternate 2: school cafeterias serve old army rations

Option 5
"The military spent HOW much on new toys?!" shrieks Finance Minister @@RANDOMNAME@@, dropping @@HIS@@ gilded monocle into an antique wine glass. "And their existing hardware was perfectly usable, to boot! We'll become an international laughingstock if this continues much longer. We need to aggressively slash the military budget, and make it clear that they are to use equipment until it breaks!"

Effect: soldiers charge on horseback into enemy armor columns
Alternate: the nation's close air support is provided by biplanes
Last edited by Cretox State on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pythaga » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:11 pm

Police using military equipment has already been the focus of an issue: #455.

Option 5 wrote:We'll become an international laughingstock if this continues much longer. We need to aggressively slash the military budget, and make it clear that they are to use equipment until it breaks!

I don't think a nation spending absurd amounts on military equipment is an international laughingstock. I'd suggest rewriting this option, or cutting it entirely as there are a lot of "military too big, please cut funding" options out there.
Last edited by Pythaga on Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:19 am

I changed option 1, and split it up into two options after remembering that banning guns is a policy.

Return to Got Issues?