NATION

PASSWORD

Large explosion in Beirut - hundreds reported injured

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Both countries appear to have perfectly good coastal highways. There is a rail gap between Nahariya and somewhere close to the Israel-Lebanon border -- I can't tell where Lebanon's railways end in their south -- but I suspect that if it was necessary and desirableable, a single-track line could be put into operation relatively fast, especially since there was once a line there.

Yes ideally Lebanon swallows their pride now and asks for help and Israel immediately begins connecting road and rail.

It takes time.

I'm not seeing that the Lebanese have many easy choices at this point, and the Israelis seem to always need improvements in their foreign relations. I imagine a marriage of convenience could be worked out, especially with European help/pressure. (I'm assuming the US will do nothing useful in this situation.)
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:26 pm

A good article that summarises the disaster.

This part is interesting, and sits well with the ~1.5 kiloton estimate I gave earlier:

Comparisons with other explosive materials are often imprecise and misleading, but a former British Army bomb disposal expert says the Beirut blast was the equivalent of 1-2 kilotons of TNT. Some estimates have even been slightly higher than that.

I'm sure there will eventually be an "official" estimate that is given in the coming weeks and months, once all of the investigations have been completed and the data put into a computer model that is more precise.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:40 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:
Yes ideally Lebanon swallows their pride now and asks for help and Israel immediately begins connecting road and rail.

It takes time.

I'm not seeing that the Lebanese have many easy choices at this point, and the Israelis seem to always need improvements in their foreign relations. I imagine a marriage of convenience could be worked out, especially with European help/pressure. (I'm assuming the US will do nothing useful in this situation.)

The concern I have is starvation is a month away Lebanon might not swallow their pride until the last minute.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:03 pm

From the article I just posted:

Whatever started the fire, it led to a small crew of firefighters being sent to deal with it. Nine men and one woman were outside Warehouse 12 when the blast occurred. All are now missing.

My heart goes out to them, it really does. They probably thought it was a routine callout, and didn't realize how dangerous the materials in the warehouse actually were. Looking at the crater and the blast effects, I doubt any trace of them will ever be found. If there is one small sliver of consolation, if it can be called that, it's that due to the speed and power of what happened they wouldn't have felt anything, and they most likely weren't even aware of what was happening.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:21 pm

The New California Republic wrote:From the article I just posted:

Whatever started the fire, it led to a small crew of firefighters being sent to deal with it. Nine men and one woman were outside Warehouse 12 when the blast occurred. All are now missing.

My heart goes out to them, it really does. They probably thought it was a routine callout, and didn't realize how dangerous the materials in the warehouse actually were. Looking at the crater and the blast effects, I doubt any trace of them will ever be found. If there is one small sliver of consolation, if it can be called that, it's that due to the speed and power of what happened they wouldn't have felt anything, and they most likely weren't even aware of what was happening.

They will likely find limbs, fingers, and teeth. Dna testing will be needed to identify them.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:11 pm

Galloism wrote:https://www.businessinsider.com/how-big-was-the-explosion-that-devastated-beirut-moab-2020-8

Estimates are the blast was between a few hundred tons and a kiloton of TNT equivalent.

Like someone used a Davy Crockett. About that big.

The Davy Crockett only had a yield of 10-20 tons so not quite.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Environmental protections
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Authoritarianism/Totalitarianism
- Traditionalism
- Ethnic/racial supremacy
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Laissez-faire capitalism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism
- Climate change denialism

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:32 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/middleea ... index.html

Sounds like the Ammonium Nitrate was shipped to Lebanon for mining operations, but the supply that was gonna be used over the course of maybe months to blow through the earth instead all went off at once, blowing Beirut off the face of the earth.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:02 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/middleeast/beirut-lebanon-ammonium-nitrate-explosion/index.html

Sounds like the Ammonium Nitrate was shipped to Lebanon for mining operations, but the supply that was gonna be used over the course of maybe months to blow through the earth instead all went off at once, blowing Beirut off the face of the earth.

Maybe the next time a shipment of nearly 3000 tons of an extremely volatile substance doesn't reach its destination, more alarms will be raised.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:39 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:From the article I just posted:

They will likely find limbs, fingers, and teeth. Dna testing will be needed to identify them.

Not so sure, the building is now a lake. Nothing is left of the building, the whole site is a flooded crater.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:42 pm

Also from the videos clearly we need to start teaching duck and cover. People after the first explosion run to look out the window, only fir the second bigger one to shred them with flying glass. Seriously if you hear an explosion immediately drop flat to the floor, if you are at a desk hide under it.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:57 pm

Novus America wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

Not so sure, the building is now a lake. Nothing is left of the building, the whole sight is a flooded crater.

They might find some body parts.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:59 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Not so sure, the building is now a lake. Nothing is left of the building, the whole sight is a flooded crater.

Possibly. Although some might be lost under the water.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:41 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Probably were incinerated. If they're lucky, they'll find ash tbh.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:23 am

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:The port of Beirut not counting the naval base (which is also unusable at the moment). Handles roughly 7,000 ships per year. The next largest port handles roughly 450 ships per year.

Is that a limitation of that port's capacity, or simply where ships go? I mean, not every port here on the US East Coast runs at full capacity all the time, and there's active competition between ports to attract ships (and the work and fees that go with them).

That being said, yes, the Israeli ports seem obviously useful. Haifa has a port to accommodate the largest container ships, so that seems the most useful, since Akko's/Acre's port looks pretty small, despite it being closer to the border

The total frontage of that second largest port seems to be ~2km. Beirut's is ~6km (found by drawing lines on google maps across the bits with ships in the satelite images, so likely wildly inaccurate). That (was) likely backed up with massively larger infrastructure behind the front.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:55 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Is that a limitation of that port's capacity, or simply where ships go? I mean, not every port here on the US East Coast runs at full capacity all the time, and there's active competition between ports to attract ships (and the work and fees that go with them).

That being said, yes, the Israeli ports seem obviously useful. Haifa has a port to accommodate the largest container ships, so that seems the most useful, since Akko's/Acre's port looks pretty small, despite it being closer to the border

The total frontage of that second largest port seems to be ~2km. Beirut's is ~6km (found by drawing lines on google maps across the bits with ships in the satelite images, so likely wildly inaccurate). That (was) likely backed up with massively larger infrastructure behind the front.

My understanding is the second port is break bulk shipping only. Break bulk for those not familiar means the goods are shipped individually rather than in a cargo container. This means it takes much longer to load and unload a ship.
Barack Obama

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:07 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/middleeast/beirut-lebanon-ammonium-nitrate-explosion/index.html

Not mining in Lebanon though. Mozambique. The captain made an emergency stop in Beirut: sounds as though the Russian crew were on the brink of mutiny due to not being paid or fed properly. When it became apparent they weren't going to be paid they deserted. Then the Lebanese government got involved and in a big brain move, drained the fuel from the ship and sold it to pay for port costs. So the ship sat there for a while until the government, presumably worried the ship would sink all by itself, offloaded the AN.

Point though, is that the start of the problem wasn't the Lebanese government at all. It was some dodgy shipping company not paying its workers. I suppose the government could have refused letting the ship in to dock, but that would hardly have been a responsible thing.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:45 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Not mining in Lebanon though. Mozambique. The captain made an emergency stop in Beirut: sounds as though the Russian crew were on the brink of mutiny due to not being paid or fed properly. When it became apparent they weren't going to be paid they deserted. Then the Lebanese government got involved and in a big brain move, drained the fuel from the ship and sold it to pay for port costs. So the ship sat there for a while until the government, presumably worried the ship would sink all by itself, offloaded the AN.

Point though, is that the start of the problem wasn't the Lebanese government at all. It was some dodgy shipping company not paying its workers. I suppose the government could have refused letting the ship in to dock, but that would hardly have been a responsible thing.

Because the government is not at fault for storing a literal warehouse sized bomb in the middle of a major city. Nope. No fault there.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:22 am

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:
Galloism wrote:https://www.businessinsider.com/how-big-was-the-explosion-that-devastated-beirut-moab-2020-8

Estimates are the blast was between a few hundred tons and a kiloton of TNT equivalent.

Like someone used a Davy Crockett. About that big.

The Davy Crockett only had a yield of 10-20 tons so not quite.

You’re right - I had crossed the Davy Crockett with SADM, which was up to a kiloton.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:24 am

Purpelia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Because the government is not at fault for storing a literal warehouse sized bomb in the middle of a major city. Nope. No fault there.

Oh yes, you're right Purpelia. Thankyou for that informative and insightful critique.

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:27 am

Different video. From a moving car this time.

https://i.imgur.com/1TRiSng.mp4

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:40 am

Fartsniffage wrote:Different video. From a moving car this time.

https://i.imgur.com/1TRiSng.mp4

He was really close. There was next to no time between the detonation and the windows imploding.

Wave on, wave on

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:00 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Because the government is not at fault for storing a literal warehouse sized bomb in the middle of a major city. Nope. No fault there.

Oh yes, you're right Purpelia. Thankyou for that informative and insightful critique.

He is right, governments have laws and rules as to how stuff is stored particularly highly inflammatory material. Why this was not enforced is on the government. How they knew about it and let it sit is a crime. It should be a capital one.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Vistulange
Negotiator

Founded: May 13, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Vistulange » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:05 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yes I saw that on the BBC a couple of days ago. Never had that happen on a Zoom call before.

That would be funny if we were having one of our happy hours and someone got thrown up against a wall right in the middle by a huge explosion...not killed or injured, just thrown up against the wall.

Your sense of humour is pretty crappy, Rojava.

There's nothing funny about an explosion happening near anybody.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:31 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

He is right, governments have laws and rules as to how stuff is stored particularly highly inflammatory material. Why this was not enforced is on the government. How they knew about it and let it sit is a crime. It should be a capital one.

In my own defense, I was only describing the early stages of the debacle. I did not exonerate the government, they handled it terribly after it was on the dock. However the shit would never have been on an unseaworthy vessel with a near mutinous crew, and it never would have come into Beirut harbor at all, if not for the criminal mismanagement of the owner of the ship.

It was stored unsafely on the dock. But it was only necessary to take it off the ship because it was stored unsafely there too. I'm not going to try to apportion the blame in numbers, between the ship owner and the Lebanon government, but I insist that the ship owner does bear some of the blame.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:48 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:He is right, governments have laws and rules as to how stuff is stored particularly highly inflammatory material. Why this was not enforced is on the government. How they knew about it and let it sit is a crime. It should be a capital one.

In my own defense, I was only describing the early stages of the debacle. I did not exonerate the government, they handled it terribly after it was on the dock. However the shit would never have been on an unseaworthy vessel with a near mutinous crew, and it never would have come into Beirut harbor at all, if not for the criminal mismanagement of the owner of the ship.

It was stored unsafely on the dock. But it was only necessary to take it off the ship because it was stored unsafely there too. I'm not going to try to apportion the blame in numbers, between the ship owner and the Lebanon government, but I insist that the ship owner does bear some of the blame.

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

The ship owners are no more to blame really then whomever first synthesised synthetic ammonium nitrate. Sure there is the story of an awful shipping company and it's boat with dangerous cargo that needed was seized, but once that cargo was seized it stopped having anything to do with the owners of that ship. Finding the initial cause for everything may be important but assigning blame to the ship owners for what happened is as useless as blaming welders for not having the hindsight that they were actually working next to a bomb.
Last edited by Heloin on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General