NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong II - Ragnarök

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I believe..

It will all die out and HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
21%
It will all die out but international pressure will come to bear on China to change
4%
It will continue yet HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
34%
It will continue and international pressure will come to bear on China to change
14%
Shit's going down yo'
13%
Hasselhoff will wake from his slumber and the chosen one will rise again
7%
I like clicking polls.. I mean, a bit like democracy I guess.. but i just like clicking polls
6%
Other
2%

Total votes : 547

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:34 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:I've actually considered visiting Hong Kong over the last few years (one of my parents visited with her parents as a child), but there's no way in hell I'm going any closer to the PRC than Japan until it dissolves.

Also, delaying elections for a year?! Surely they are aware that mail-in voting is a thing, right? That's such a flimsy excuse.

The Chinese authorities are full of shit, but there's no reason to be so ideological about a simple visit. If you are just visiting as a tourist -- not going there to protest or proselytize -- China was safe to visit before the coronavirus hit, and it'll probably be safe again when the pandemic blows over. It is not North Korea. You don't have to agree with a government to visit the country.

Right at this moment in Hong Kong might not be the best time and place to visit, but that is no reason to avoid the whole country on a long-term basis.

And would you seriously have a problem visiting South Korea just because of crap that's going on in China? (It is closer than Japan.)

Well, maybe South Korea. Not the PRC itself though.

Not that I'm likely to travel to other continents that much anyway, given how much time and money it costs.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:38 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
The Sherpa Empire wrote:
The Chinese authorities are full of shit, but there's no reason to be so ideological about a simple visit. If you are just visiting as a tourist -- not going there to protest or proselytize -- China was safe to visit before the coronavirus hit, and it'll probably be safe again when the pandemic blows over. It is not North Korea. You don't have to agree with a government to visit the country.

Right at this moment in Hong Kong might not be the best time and place to visit, but that is no reason to avoid the whole country on a long-term basis.

And would you seriously have a problem visiting South Korea just because of crap that's going on in China? (It is closer than Japan.)

Well, maybe South Korea. Not the PRC itself though.

Not that I'm likely to travel to other continents that much anyway, given how much time and money it costs.
As for the ROC/Taiwan (delete as appropriate)?
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:41 pm

-Astoria- wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Well, maybe South Korea. Not the PRC itself though.

Sure.

A bit close though.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:As for the ROC/Taiwan (delete as appropriate)?

Sure.

A bit close though.

Go via Japan, do not pass any PRC'ian airports, do not collect any social credit points. :3
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:52 pm

-Astoria- wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Well, maybe South Korea. Not the PRC itself though.

Actually barring an outright PRC invasion they are probably one of the safest places as they are most aware of how dangerous the PRC is. I would gladly visit there, as long as I can get a flight that doesn’t not go through the PRC or Hong Kong.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:58 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:They can not enforce it on you, till you fly into Hong Kong, or any other nation China has by the balls based on trade policy.

Hence why anyone who has ever said anything regarding China or Hong Kong in a public forum should probably avoid travel there or to third-party countries that are really friendly with China, due to the possibility that the third-party country might extradite you to China.

>thinks I’m safe
>remembers that I’m in a country friendly to China and subpoenas people who attack the government online
>extreme_concern.jpg

Despite this, there is very strong anti-PRC sentiment in where I reside, so it’s unlikely the leadership’s willing to hand over a few million or so to the PRC.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

MGTOWia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby MGTOWia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Novus America wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:As for the ROC/Taiwan (delete as appropriate)?

Actually barring an outright PRC invasion they are probably one of the safest places as they are most aware of how dangerous the PRC is. I would gladly visit there, as long as I can get a flight that doesn’t not go through the PRC or Hong Kong.

Taiwan even has a restaurant whose menu is full of Xi-t. You can empty a bowl in his honor.

http://www.moderntoilet.com.tw/en/menu.asp
"The more money you make, the more women you should avoid." -- YouTube user Anubis_X64

"Wokeness is a disease. MGTOW is the cure."

"Love: (n) the mechanism the human species has evolved to keep males and females from killing each other long enough to produce and raise offspring."

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:33 am

LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:56 am

> using a video from Avi Yemini
Yemini is a regular contributor to Robinson's “TR News” website and regularly produces social media content in support of the jailed former leader of the English Defence League (EDL).

Turns out George Floyd wasn’t murdered after all.
*t h o n k*
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:30 am

-Astoria- wrote:

> using a video from Avi Yemini
Yemini is a regular contributor to Robinson's “TR News” website and regularly produces social media content in support of the jailed former leader of the English Defence League (EDL).

Turns out George Floyd wasn’t murdered after all.
*t h o n k*

Never mind the source. Listen to what the Mainlanders are saying.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:41 am

If I wanted to kill my own brain cells I'd drink 99% proof vodka.

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:50 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:

Shall 95% suffice?

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 am

"We have free speech in China except you can't criticize the government!"

ALL LIVES MATTER.

Bengal and Assam
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bengal and Assam » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:40 am

I have read enough wumao posts in Twitter for a day. I don't want to lose any more brain cells.
A country with a mixed Bengali, British and Oriental population and culture. NSStats not Used...
Led By Susan Itai... Mostly MT, with some elements of FT.
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!
NEWS: BBSOne
Story Thread: Rise of the North, a Canada ISOT

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:47 am

Bengal and Assam wrote:

I have read enough wumao posts in Twitter for a day. I don't want to lose any more brain cells.

I lost it when I saw the Global Times editor’s tweets. I don’t think I want to dive back into the treasure trove of wumao content in Twitter. I think we’ve already had our fair share of such (or at least similar) views here on NSG. Main difference is, wumao just throw insults at everything or parrot party lines, while fellow posters here on NSG make time to write out what they think.

Glorious Hong Kong wrote:"We have free speech in China except you can't criticize the government!"

(Image)

This is ever so slowly becoming reality in where I reside as well.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:

I lost a bunch watching our State of the Nation Address to be frank.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Bengal and Assam
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bengal and Assam » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:47 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
Bengal and Assam wrote:I have read enough wumao posts in Twitter for a day. I don't want to lose any more brain cells.

I lost it when I saw the Global Times editor’s tweets. I don’t think I want to dive back into the treasure trove of wumao content in Twitter. I think we’ve already had our fair share of such (or at least similar) views here on NSG. Main difference is, wumao just throw insults at everything or parrot party lines, while fellow posters here on NSG make time to write out what they think.

Glorious Hong Kong wrote:"We have free speech in China except you can't criticize the government!"

(Image)

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:If I wanted to kill my own brain cells I'd drink 99% proof vodka.

"Funny Mud Pee"
"NMSL"

We should make a Wumao to English Dictionary lol
A country with a mixed Bengali, British and Oriental population and culture. NSStats not Used...
Led By Susan Itai... Mostly MT, with some elements of FT.
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!
NEWS: BBSOne
Story Thread: Rise of the North, a Canada ISOT

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:11 am

Bengal and Assam wrote:

"Funny Mud Pee"
"NMSL"

I need context for those quotes. :o

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017

Postby New Visayan Islands » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:44 am

Bengal and Assam wrote:

"Funny Mud Pee"
"NMSL"

Not Bamao?

Also, Shtrafniki? In my Wumao Bamao? It's more likely than you think.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:38 am

Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:53 am

Good. Too little, too late but better than nothing. Ever member of DAB, the CCP and the Lam/Xi regime should be hit with maximum sanctions. Every single one.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:20 am

About time as well. She must think people are stupid enough to believe all her barefaced lies. I've just about had it with her and her bullshit.
ALL LIVES MATTER.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:25 am

Good. She actually deserved to be sanctioned months ago, but these things move slowly.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:36 pm

Joshua Wong and 23 others have been charged with unlawful assembly for participating in the annual June 4th candlelit vigil in Victoria Park, and Apple Daily staff are getting doxxed by Chinese immigration officials.

Carrie Lam has indicated that Hong Kongers based in Mainland China may be permitted to vote in the city's elections. Translation: The CCP will be able to channel yet more votes in favor of the anti-democracy camp on its own turf and its own terms.

Hong Kong government may explore arrangements to help Hongkongers vote from the mainland, says Carrie Lam
更新時間 (HKT): 2020.08.03 22:44
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on system

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam said her administration may consider making it easier for Hongkongers living in mainland China to vote, such as setting up polling stations in Guangdong, moves being pushed by the pro-Beijing camp.

The pro-democracy camp questioned if such changes would be fair and criticized it as a ploy to expand the pro-establishment voter base.

Lam’s comments came during a Saturday interview with TVB, after she delayed legislative elections by a year amid a resurgent virus spread. Critics say that the virus was an excuse to avoid a rout of the pro-Beijing camp by voters furious with the new national security law.

Pro-Beijing heavyweight Jasper Tsang said that the government should introduce measures to make voting more convenient for Hongkongers who live and work in the Greater Bay Area, since the government encourages such cross-border arrangements.

Under the Legislative Council Ordinance, a Hong Kong adult can register as an elector in a geographical constituency only if that person “ordinarily resides” in Hong Kong.

Civic Party leader Alvin Yeung, a lawmaker, said the suggested changes would create many problems. “How will the pro-democracy camp observe the counting of the votes? How can we campaign in mainland China?” he said.

According to a report on the subject by the Legislative Council Secretariat, about 540,000 Hong Kong permanent residents reside in Guangdong province as of 2019. Expanding the city’s voting operations would increase costs and raise concerns with confidentiality and preventing electoral fraud, the report said.

Secretary for Constitutional and Mainland Affairs Erick Tsang told lawmakers in April that the Hong Kong government was “in talks” with the mainland to see if it was possible to expand voter eligibility, citing the number of Hong Kong registered voters who ordinarily live in the mainland.

His predecessors, Raymond Tam and Patrick Nip, had ruled out the option in 2011 and 2019.

Democratic Party lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting told Apple Daily that the Hong Kong government was “the biggest supporter” in helping the pro-Beijing camp win elections.

“[Erick Tsang] has not consulted the legislature or the public. Does he plan to unilaterally declare the establishment of a few dozen polling stations in mainland China, and expect Hongkongers to accept them without question?” Lam said.

Meanwhile, pro-Beijing politicians are mulling whether to disqualify four pro-democracy legislators from sitting in the provisional LegCo session that would last a year following the postponement of elections. They are also considering whether members should be appointed and handpicked by a select committee with the CCP's approval, just as it was with the original provisional LegCo that was installed in place of the fully-elected LegCo that was in session prior to the Handover. They expect pro-democracy politicians to serve as a "loyal opposition" by not serially vetoing legislation introduced by the government. Since when was Carrie Lam crowned Queen? Is this a very subtle way of trolling Hong Kongers who desire a return to British rule?

I can't be bothered to find the Apple Daily article for this one. The English edition can only be directly accessed via the Android app and not the desktop site. Thank god for Firefox's add/share feature.

EDIT: If the four pro-democracy legislators I mentioned earlier are barred from sitting, the entire pro-democracy bloc may opt to resign their seats in protest as they would no longer have the numbers needed to veto incoming legislation and the whole thing is a sham to begin with.
Last edited by Glorious Hong Kong on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALL LIVES MATTER.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:05 pm

Hong Kong pro-democracy tycoon Jimmy Lai has been arrested for suspected collusion with foreign forces, his aide has said.

Mark Simon said the businessman was held under the controversial national security law imposed by China in June.

Mr Lai supported pro-democracy protests that erupted in Hong Kong last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53717843
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Hong Kong pro-democracy tycoon Jimmy Lai has been arrested for suspected collusion with foreign forces, his aide has said.

Mark Simon said the businessman was held under the controversial national security law imposed by China in June.

Mr Lai supported pro-democracy protests that erupted in Hong Kong last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53717843

But there wasn't going to be any lawless thuggery because Madame Generalgouverneur said so...
*eyes rolling over vertical*

MT/MagicT

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General