NATION

PASSWORD

75 years after Hiroshima, should nuke use be a war crime?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should nuclear weapon use be made a war crime?

Yes, nuclear weapons are inherently immoral
21%
Yes, nuclear weapons are too destructive for use in war or otherwise
27%
No, we need a nuclear deterrent for self-defense
40%
No, we need the capability of utterly destroying our enemies
12%

Total votes : 214

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

75 years after Hiroshima, should nuke use be a war crime?

Postby US-SSR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:08 pm

Most chemical and biological weapons, blinding lasers, incendiary weapons, non-detectable fragments, etc. have been effectively outlawed by treaty. While nuclear weapons are subject to various limitations and many nations have abjured their use, the best that can be said about them is that their use in war or otherwise is not always illegal.

Since the rationale for existing weapons bans centers around their indiscriminate destructiveness and inherent inhumanity, should nuclear weapons use be made a war crime?

What this is not about (not that that would stop anyone on NSG):

-- difficulties around enforcing a nuclear ban (national means exist for detecting and punishing violations)
-- the practical or ethical justification for actions by the UN or other international organizations
-- whether making nuke use a war crime would effectively deter bad actors or not

Here are some historical facts, as opposed to national myths, about Hiroshima, Nagasaki and their aftermath:

US President Harry Truman never gave an order to bomb Hiroshima or Nagasaki. The Army under Major General Leslie Groves controlled the Manhattan Project and the use of its weapons. Had Truman not ordered no more bombs be dropped after Nagasaki, a third and even a fourth Japanese city might have been destroyed. The idea that Truman was responsible was largely a fiction constructed after the fact to justify continued nuclear weapons development and deployment.

The driving factor in the Japanese surrender was not the bombings but the entry of the Soviet Union into the Pacific theater of war. The discussion in the Japanese war cabinet centered around whether enough casualties could be inflicted on an invading force to enable better surrender terms. Once Emperor Hirohito declared himself, the surrender was inevitable.

Groves compartmentalized information about the horrible aftereffects of nuclear bombing, including radiation sickness, keeping the scientists and physicists involved in developing the bomb largely in the dark. Before a Congressional committee, he bizarrely claimed radiation sickness would be "a very pleasant way to die." Many later stated they would have abandoned work on the bomb had they fully appreciated its likely effects.

The US justification for using nuclear weapons on Japan was equal parts racism, vengeance and the desire to impress the rest of the world, particularly the Soviet Union, with its unassailable military might heading into the postwar period. Truman's statement on Hiroshima claimed, "The Japanese began the war from the air at Pearl Harbor. They have been repaid many fold."

All the evidence points to nuclear weapons use as inadequately controlled by civilians; impossible to confine to military targets; and with devastating, horribly inhumane and long-lasting effects on largely civilian populations. For all these reasons, nuclear weapons use should be made a war crime.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Go nuts NSG.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:11 pm

Is it a war crime to mass murder civilians?
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:11 pm

Yes. WMDs are cringe and also fuck the enviroment
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:12 pm

They technically have been since 1973. Its just become a "yall put down your guns slowly" situation of slowly reducing stockpiles since then.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:17 pm

No. And we should use them more often.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Soiled fruit roll ups
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Soiled fruit roll ups » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:19 pm

No. Definitely necessary.
JAGERA/TURRBULL/YEERONGPAN
FIRST NATION AUSTRALIAN - ABORIGINAL

The United States is also a one party system but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.- Julius Nyerere.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:20 pm

Considering we have MAD I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about nukes being used. Ironically nuclear weapons have kept us away from another global war. But who knows 2020 might just give us one final surprise.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:26 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:No. And we should use them more often.

No.
Aeritai wrote:Considering we have MAD I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about nukes being used. Ironically nuclear weapons have kept us away from another global war. But who knows 2020 might just give us one final surprise.

If there is nuclear warfare at all, IMO it is much more likely to originate from the likes of India-Pakistan or Israel, so uh-oh.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:29 pm

Aeritai wrote:Considering we have MAD I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about nukes being used. Ironically nuclear weapons have kept us away from another global war. But who knows 2020 might just give us one final surprise.

What is "MAD"?
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:30 pm

Salus Maior wrote:Is it a war crime to mass murder civilians?

Yes, but by that time the institution of international law will already collapsed, so not anymore...?

Also the alternative to nuking Japan is the Operation Downfall invasion plan, a lunatic disaster waiting to happen that will see at the minimum of 1 million US soldier dead, multiple nukes on the beaches of Kyushu (radiation wasn't perfectly understood by then), the total destruction of Japan and its infrastructure, and the death of approximately 75% of the Japanese population through warfare and starvation.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm

Disgraces wrote:

What is "MAD"?

Mutually Assured Destruction. There is a pretty good argument to be made that had the MAD didn't exist, WWIII will likely broke in around 1970's, but I forgot the source.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:32 pm

Disgraces wrote:

What is "MAD"?

Mutually assured destruction (MAD) is a doctrine of military strategy and national security policy in which a full-scale use of nuclear weapons by two or more opposing sides would cause the complete annihilation of both the attacker and the defender (see pre-emptive nuclear strike and second strike).[1] It is based on the theory of deterrence, which holds that the threat of using strong weapons against the enemy prevents the enemy's use of those same weapons. The strategy is a form of Nash equilibrium in which, once armed, neither side has any incentive to initiate a conflict or to disarm.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_ ... estruction
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:35 pm

No nuclear weapons usage shouldnt be a war crime, unfortunately they are a surprisingly good deterrent for would-be aggressors. but I do believe in limiting and restricting them in every other way so that they are virtually never going to be used.
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:37 pm

Nevertopia wrote:No nuclear weapons usage shouldnt be a war crime, unfortunately they are a surprisingly good deterrent for would-be aggressors. but I do believe in limiting and restricting them in every other way so that they are virtually never going to be used.

How would we achieve that while simultaneously keeping MAD principle?

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:01 pm

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:No nuclear weapons usage shouldnt be a war crime, unfortunately they are a surprisingly good deterrent for would-be aggressors. but I do believe in limiting and restricting them in every other way so that they are virtually never going to be used.

How would we achieve that while simultaneously keeping MAD principle?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_ ... ar_Weapons
Left Without Edge

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:03 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
Region of Dwipantara wrote:How would we achieve that while simultaneously keeping MAD principle?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_ ... ar_Weapons

So... do nothing since the treaty already happened? And then again, the largest risk for nuclear war –India vs. Pakistan– didn't sign the treaty, which is understandable considering that they've gotten into big conflicts again and again.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:04 pm

So... do nothing since the treaty already happened? And then again, the largest risk for nuclear war –India vs. Pakistan– didn't sign the treaty, which is understandable considering that they've gotten into big conflicts again and again.

That is true
Left Without Edge

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:23 pm

If we use nukes in this juncture in history having a war crimes trial will be the least of our concerns.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:53 pm

Yes, but by that time the institution of international law will already collapsed, so not anymore...?

Also the alternative to nuking Japan is the Operation Downfall invasion plan, a lunatic disaster waiting to happen that will see at the minimum of 1 million US soldier dead, multiple nukes on the beaches of Kyushu (radiation wasn't perfectly understood by then), the total destruction of Japan and its infrastructure, and the death of approximately 75% of the Japanese population through warfare and starvation.

I was literally about to post this, but you took my words. In short, the nukes in WW2 were a necessary evil, and some may even argue the existence of nukes is why we haven’t had WW3 yet
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:24 pm

US-SSR wrote:The US justification for using nuclear weapons on Japan was equal parts racism, vengeance and the desire to impress the rest of the world, particularly the Soviet Union, with its unassailable military might heading into the postwar period. Truman's statement on Hiroshima claimed, "The Japanese began the war from the air at Pearl Harbor. They have been repaid many fold."

What does racism have to do with the bombings?
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:28 pm

Picairn wrote:
US-SSR wrote:The US justification for using nuclear weapons on Japan was equal parts racism, vengeance and the desire to impress the rest of the world, particularly the Soviet Union, with its unassailable military might heading into the postwar period. Truman's statement on Hiroshima claimed, "The Japanese began the war from the air at Pearl Harbor. They have been repaid many fold."

Some people have to be woke and shoehorn race into everything.

Also the bombs weren't planned to be used on Japan but actually on Germany. We originally planned to nuke Berlin but because the german forces where collapsing quicker than we could build it we changed to japan.

The Cold War sure would have been different if we had leveled Berlin
Last edited by Thermodolia on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:29 pm

The cats already out of the bag. The only reasonable act now is to de-escalate nuclear proliferation and find the next technological milestone that would counter the affects of nuclear warfare.
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:31 pm

Picairn wrote:

There's a reason why very few German-Americans and Italian-Americans were interned in comparison to Japanese-Americans. It almost certainly didn't change the decision to drop the bomb, but it undoubtedly factored in.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:32 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:No. And we should use them more often.

????

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 pm

Operation downfall would have been an absolute mess. I remember reading somewhere that we would have ended up with close to 2 million dead for the US alone, plus the possibility of a communist japan
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General