NATION

PASSWORD

On blaming religion for Trump

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:14 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Because Trump is the second coming of Hitler, obviously. Never mind we said the same thing about Bush and it didn't come true.

Bush was pretty bad. We seem to be forgetting that now that there is a different bad Republican in office.

I've never claimed he wasn't. I don't like Bush.
But he wasn't literally Hitler the way the left tried to paint him back then, and neither is Trump now.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:Trump's a bigger threat to democracy and rule of law than Bush was.

Though frankly, I had a problem with it back then too but just sugar-coated it (relatively) more.

Oh please. Donald J. Trump may be good at playing reality TV tactics to get elected, but there's no way in hell that you could convince me that he is competent or ill-intentioned enough to tear down American democracy.

I mean, he's not literally Hitler for crying out loud. He's just a businessman. And this is coming from a guy that doesn't even like Trump for being so centrist.

Is he now?

Making people distrust the Press? Check
Making people distrust the legal system? Check.
Making people trust corrupt law enforcement? Check.
Making people distrust experts? Check.
Working to improve our enemies? Check.
Working against our allies? Check.

He is a crap businessman, a horrible negotiator and works against our interests.

Trump is the kind of guy who if aliens conquered the US; he would offer to run the place for them.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:Oh please. Donald J. Trump may be good at playing reality TV tactics to get elected, but there's no way in hell that you could convince me that he is competent or ill-intentioned enough to tear down American democracy.

I mean, he's not literally Hitler for crying out loud. He's just a businessman. And this is coming from a guy that doesn't even like Trump for being so centrist.

Is he now?

He is a crap businessman, a horrible negotiator and works against our interests.

Trump is the kind of guy who if aliens conquered the US; he would offer to run the place for them.

Trump's more of a Marius than a Sulla.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:26 pm

Religious people are more Republican while Atheists are more Democrat, while not entirely exact, they vote for yeah.

Plus, this OP seems anti-Trump and anti-religion biased. Who said Trump is bad? And even more, what does religion have to do with this?

On the Bible contradiction part, yeah, people have found answers for that. And you really, really, did not need to throw anti-religious bias into this, but your wish. Anyway, really, really, really, what about Muslims? The "Something Else" part which includes other religions voted more for Hillary than Trump!
Last edited by La Xinga on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:33 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:Oh please. Donald J. Trump may be good at playing reality TV tactics to get elected, but there's no way in hell that you could convince me that he is competent or ill-intentioned enough to tear down American democracy.

Is he now?

Yeah, but he's still not literally Hitler, especially considering Bush did worse. I mean, Bush literally catapulted us into the War on Terror, the recession hit under him, and several acts that restricted our freedom are as a result of his administration or it's fallout during the 2000s and 2010s.

Now you can say that Trump also saw an economic collapse much worse than Bush, but keep in mind this was from a pandemic that, while he did make it much, MUCH worse, was unavoidable in causing serious economic damage due to the lockdown.

Also distrusting the government is nothing new, Trump just exacerbated that.
Last edited by Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a master at arguing right after I hit "submit"

Veni, Vidi, Vici. I came, I saw, I conquered.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:35 pm

La xinga wrote:Religious people are more Republican while Atheists are more Democrat, while not entirely exact, they vote for yeah.

Plus, this OP seems anti-Trump and anti-religion biased. Who said Trump is bad? And even more, what does religion have to do with this?

On the Bible contradiction part, yeah, people have found answers for that. And you really, really, did not need to throw anti-religious bias into this, but your wish. Anyway, really, really, really, what about Muslims?
Go back a bit; start again.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:40 pm

-Astoria- wrote:
La xinga wrote:Religious people are more Republican while Atheists are more Democrat, while not entirely exact, they vote for yeah.

On the Bible contradiction part, yeah, people have found answers for that. And you really, really, did not need to throw anti-religious bias into this, but your wish. Anyway, really, really, really, what about Muslims?
Go back a bit; start again.

I'm honestly confused what you mean by this.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:42 pm

Why does Jerry Falwell Jr. like Trump? What happened to those family values and morality?
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Why does Jerry Falwell Jr. like Trump? What happened to those family values and morality?

Religious Christians- and other religious people- have always cared more about a leaders policies than their personal behavior. This isn't new. Sometimes it's theologically justified(Roman Catholicism, for example) sometimes it's not(most Arminian protestants), and sometimes the denomination in question acts all confused when you ask them to justify it theologically, but it is a universal rule.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Why does Jerry Falwell Jr. like Trump? What happened to those family values and morality?

Religious Christians- and other religious people- have always cared more about a leaders policies than their personal behavior. This isn't new. Sometimes it's theologically justified(Roman Catholicism, for example) sometimes it's not(most Arminian protestants), and sometimes the denomination in question acts all confused when you ask them to justify it theologically, but it is a universal rule.

It isnt even that he chose him as a lesser of evils though. Falwell legit seems to believe Trump was born again, which most people understand is simply not true.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Religious Christians- and other religious people- have always cared more about a leaders policies than their personal behavior. This isn't new. Sometimes it's theologically justified(Roman Catholicism, for example) sometimes it's not(most Arminian protestants), and sometimes the denomination in question acts all confused when you ask them to justify it theologically, but it is a universal rule.

It isnt even that he chose him as a lesser of evils though. Falwell legit seems to believe Trump was born again, which most people understand is simply not true.

Oh, yeah, there are definitely evangelical leaders who are either deluded or lying when it comes to Trump, but for a lot of those people being deluded or lying isn't really new.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 pm

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:In 2016, I recall hearing people blame MRAs for Trump, as if he didn't himself invoke misandrous-sounding rhetoric like "a lot of these refugees are men" or as if the supposed alternative; feminism; even had any real definition at all.

In 2020, I get mistaken for a Trump supporter whenever I express rhetoric similar to his on China.

However, there is one thing that actually does correlate; far more incontrovertibly, at least; with support for Donald Trump. And that thing is something people feel a lot more uncomfortable blaming for his election.

The popularity of religion.

(Image)

(Image)

People often like to argue Trump isn't a true Christian. I wouldn't be shocked if he's faking it and all, but there's no metric by which to gauge this. You could argue his lifestyle contradicts the Bible; but that would leave behind the question, what parts? So long as the Bible is so notoriously contradictory, is it any shock that people who ignore the Bible's contradictions would ignore Trump's too?

What I would presume is that when religion sets a precedent for a lack of critical thinking; which it most definitely does by using an unproven afterlife to bribe people into accepting its unproven claims; it sets a precedent for charlatans in the real world to do the same with crazy promises about the real world. I'm not shocked devout Christians tend to be Trump supporters; I'm shocked there are Christians who are otherwise progressive.

What say you, NSG?

"Keep religion out of politics!"
"How dare don't you take religion into account when you vote!"

Make up your mind, will ya?

After Bill Clinton's shift to Neoliberalism from the Progressive ideas that the Democrat Party used to hold for the working class, the folks in flyover country shifted parties. These folks also happened to be religious, but most people, including most of these folks, vote on the basis of the economy, rather than religion.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-aven ... ging-fast/

This is what happened during Obama's Presidency:

And yet you're shocked that these folks are voting Republican...
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Vassenor wrote:Who the fuck blamed religion for Trump?

The OP of the very thread that you're responding to.

Vistulange wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:That's a copout. The stronger a correlation, the less likely a coincidence, and the more likely either one factor caused the other or; in this case, more likely, some external factor caused both.

A thousand quantitative scientists cried out in anguish at this statement.

Only a thousand?

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:I dont see how someone can support trump and be all about religious values. I'm sorry but the man is an adulterer and has said he doesn't need God's forgiveness, so he's well outside the boundaries of Christian morality.

If you're going to vote for Religious Virtue in American Politics, than you might as well not vote. Did Governor Cuomo love his neighbors by exterminating them through placing infected people in elderly homes, a more modern version of British Smallpox Blankets?

The Black Forrest wrote:

Is he now?

Not sure how Trump affected the legal system, considering that he doesn't seem to understand it. Corrupt law enforcement gained fans when the other side started screaming "DEFUND THE POLICE!!!" Experts are usually on both sides of the issue, unless we're talking about something as obvious as Global Warming, and most Americans understand that Global Warming exists.

Why don't you go to Europe, and ask US Allies what they through of Clinton's Balkan Campaigns, Bush's Iraq War, and Obama's Arab Spring Policy, which created a massive flow of refugees to Europe, which, when combined with austerity, is leading to the Rise of the Right. As for enemies, he took out some and emboldened others, just like any other president. The only thing he did was that he humiliated corporate media, and honestly, they had it coming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmdFne7LnuA&t=67s

It was the media that made Trump's primary campaign, half-assed their reporting during the general election, and went apeshit insane when he won.

Diopolis wrote:

^ This
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
Vassenor wrote:Who the fuck blamed religion for Trump?

Me.

Well, there you go. An unimpeachable source.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm

La xinga wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:Go back a bit; start again.

I'm honestly confused what you mean by this.
When you say "what about", it damages your point (ie a whataboutism).
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Outer Acharet
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 29, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Outer Acharet » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:04 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Oh, yeah. That's a thing. It's no wonder that poor white rural voters went for Trump. Look at Democratic politicians, and you see their arguments tie poverty into race a lot of the time, and so poor minorities have attention drawn to their problems, while poor whites get called white trash, have people joke about "tornado in a trailer park", are assumed to be inbred, don't get any positive reinforcements on their lives, are ridiculously stereotyped, and are culturally isolated from the rest of America.

Combine a poor liberal arts and sciences education, a history of abandonment by politicians on both sides, and a leader who both promises he'll look after you and riles you up against a convenient scapegoat, and it's no surprise there was a red wave in 2016.
⠀✭⠀THE STATE OF ACHARET⠀✭⠀
The puppet that just won't stay dead has crawled its way out of the grave once more.
oh shit oh fuck why is there a black huey full of angry canadians trying to kill me-

Some Other... Things: Kiu GhesikMiranda-22CBG-Palisade
Overview - Soon | Leadership - Soon

News? What news? News is for people who don't have a bloated military-industrial complex strangling their apparatus of state. Wait, that sounds like a bad thing, doesn't it?

Wahlid
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Wahlid » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:I dont see how someone can support trump and be all about religious values. I'm sorry but the man is an adulterer and has said he doesn't need God's forgiveness, so he's well outside the boundaries of Christian morality.

Salaam alaikum, jefe :bow:

It isn't religious people supporting Trump in general. It's really mostly just white Christians and nonwhite evangelical Protestants. And even then I'm seeing a ton of white women on Bumble (mostly in their twenties) who identify as "Christian" and "politically liberal".
"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Factbooks | iiWiki

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:06 pm

-Astoria- wrote:
La xinga wrote:I'm honestly confused what you mean by this.
When you say "what about", it damages your point (ie a whataboutism).

I did already, in fact everyone said something else wrong with this point.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Wahlid
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Wahlid » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:09 pm

Outer Acharet wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Oh, yeah. That's a thing. It's no wonder that poor white rural voters went for Trump. Look at Democratic politicians, and you see their arguments tie poverty into race a lot of the time, and so poor minorities have attention drawn to their problems, while poor whites get called white trash, have people joke about "tornado in a trailer park", are assumed to be inbred, don't get any positive reinforcements on their lives, are ridiculously stereotyped, and are culturally isolated from the rest of America.

Combine a poor liberal arts and sciences education, a history of abandonment by politicians on both sides, and a leader who both promises he'll look after you and riles you up against a convenient scapegoat, and it's no surprise there was a red wave in 2016.

Last edited by Wahlid on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Factbooks | iiWiki

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Outer Acharet wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

A few years before Trump came around, I told my dad "its amazing how there are politicians who claim to speak for poor minorities (they don't really do shit for them but they claim to speak for them) but no one speaks for poor white folks. They're forsaken by both Republicans and Democrats."

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:47 pm

Blaming religion for Trump is like blaming science for tear gas.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:49 pm

Atheris wrote:Blaming religion for Trump is like blaming science for tear gas.

I don't blame religion. Matter of fact this is one time where if people did the religious thing, trump wouldn't have been elected.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:50 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:

I don't blame religion. Matter of fact this is one time where if people did the religious thing, trump wouldn't have been elected.

I wasn't necessarily referring to you, but yeah, you're right.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:51 pm

Is it religion or is it the Evangelical base? Because they seem to not have any principals to stand on as long as Trump bans de gayz.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:51 pm

While my sig would be too big if I put this, this is sig worthy.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General