NATION

PASSWORD

Ban on Commendations and Denouncements

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
Upcrus
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Ban on Commendations and Denouncements

Postby Upcrus » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:28 pm

How about we propose a bill to ban commendations and denouncements? They are the only kinds of bills that come up in the Security Council. They're pointless and do nothing. I don't care about commending or condemning nations. How about we get rid of these cheap, worthless bills and start proposing real issues for the Security Council!

Praeceps
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Praeceps » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:31 pm

Your suggestion is more appropriate for Technical, that is where suggestions to change the game goes.

Additionally, I will note that the Security Council can and does pass Liberations.

Commendations, condemnations, and liberations are the extent of what the Security Council can do. If you want to suggest another type of resolution, that should be in Technical.
Apparently simultaneously a Ravenclaw puppet, a NPO plant, and a Warden spy. I had no idea I was that good. Depending on who you ask, my aliases include Krulltopia.

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs for The North Pacific, Former Guildmaster of The North Pacific Cards Guild

SkyDip
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:21 am

“How dare you suggest Commendations and Condemnations are worthless,” exclaims Ambassador Greyjoy, polishing the Commendation plaque awarded to SkyDip.
Elias Thaddeus Greyjoy, WA Ambassador of SkyDip
Read my Guide to the Security Council, a comprehensive collection of history, tactics, and tips for the Security Council!

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:SkyDip's actions have, ultimately, destroyed the World Assembly.

Eist wrote:Yea... If you are just going to casually dismiss SkyDip's advice, you are probably not going to get very far at all.

Sedgistan wrote:SkyDip is trying to help, and is giving sound advice. I'd suggestion listening to him, as he has experience of writing (and advising others with) legal proposals.

Frisbeeteria wrote:What Skydip said. This bitchfest is an embarrassment to the Security Council.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:30 am

Have you anything to replace it with?
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:54 am

SkyDip wrote:“How dare you suggest Commendations and Condemnations are worthless,” exclaims Ambassador Greyjoy, polishing the Commendation plaque awarded to SkyDip.

OOC: isn't it kinda hypocritical since you submitted a proposal to repeal that?
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

SkyDip
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
SkyDip wrote:“How dare you suggest Commendations and Condemnations are worthless,” exclaims Ambassador Greyjoy, polishing the Commendation plaque awarded to SkyDip.

OOC: isn't it kinda hypocritical since you submitted a proposal to repeal that?

OOC: issa joke, my guy

But yes.
Last edited by SkyDip on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elias Thaddeus Greyjoy, WA Ambassador of SkyDip
Read my Guide to the Security Council, a comprehensive collection of history, tactics, and tips for the Security Council!

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:SkyDip's actions have, ultimately, destroyed the World Assembly.

Eist wrote:Yea... If you are just going to casually dismiss SkyDip's advice, you are probably not going to get very far at all.

Sedgistan wrote:SkyDip is trying to help, and is giving sound advice. I'd suggestion listening to him, as he has experience of writing (and advising others with) legal proposals.

Frisbeeteria wrote:What Skydip said. This bitchfest is an embarrassment to the Security Council.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 am

SkyDip wrote:
Mathuvan Union wrote:OOC: isn't it kinda hypocritical since you submitted a proposal to repeal that?

OOC: issa joke, my guy

But yes.

OOC: it’s my thing. I knew it was a joke 8) 8)
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Upcrus
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Upcrus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:14 pm

Praeceps wrote:Your suggestion is more appropriate for Technical, that is where suggestions to change the game goes.

Additionally, I will note that the Security Council can and does pass Liberations.

Commendations, condemnations, and liberations are the extent of what the Security Council can do. If you want to suggest another type of resolution, that should be in Technical.

OOC: Fair enough. I did not know about the Technical forum but I will definitely look into proposing something there. I just feel like the Security Council gets overshadowed by the General Assembly in terms of original ideas and creativity. I stopped voting in the Security Council long ago cause it's always to commend or condemn a nation I've never heard of. Thank you!

Upcrus
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Upcrus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:20 pm

-Astoria- wrote:Have you anything to replace it with?

Actual security measures and diplomatic measures.

OOC: Examples such as laying an embargo against a certain region. International bans on certain weapons. Regulating the amount of nuclear weapons nations are allowed to have. The roleplay options are limitless beyond the current commend/condemn we see ad nauseam.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Upcrus wrote:
OOC: Examples such as laying an embargo against a certain region. International bans on certain weapons. Regulating the amount of nuclear weapons nations are allowed to have. The roleplay options are limitless beyond the current commend/condemn we see ad nauseam.

The General Assembly can do all but the first suggestion.

Plus, what would an embargo even do?
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Cor Cada
Secretary

Founded: Apr 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cor Cada » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:44 pm

Upcrus wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:Have you anything to replace it with?

Actual security measures and diplomatic measures.

We have the GA for roleplay. The SC focuses on the practical aspect of the game.
News from Cor Cada | A. Millarai elected President in a historic first | Government promises to strengthen ties with India

A 21.6 civilization, according to this index.
Political Compass: L/R: -7 A/L: 2.67 P/C: 0
Worldbuilding
Representative to the WA: Licarayen Garcia, External Affairs Minister
▅▅

Upcrus
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Upcrus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Noahs Second County
I see I see. I guess my idea is to move any such ideas that would pop up in the GA to the SC if they fit the SC better. I mean, the motions passed in the GA don't truly affect my nation. It's just for fun at the end of the day.

Cor Cada
I did not realize the divide. But, may I ask, how are commendations and condemnations more practical? Do the actual accounts get rewarded or suffer or is just roleplay brownie/naughty points in the community?

I guess at the end of the day, I would just like to see the SC used in a better way. In its current state, I completely ignore it cause it is always the same thing.
Last edited by Upcrus on Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 pm

GA and SC are two different institutions. GA is for passing international legislation like you're looking for. SC is for recognition of notable players or regions. Don't think about it like its real-life equivalent.
Last edited by Morover on Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Upcrus
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Upcrus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:27 pm

Morover
Has it always been this way?

The only statement of purpose for the SC I can find is: A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:08 pm

Upcrus wrote:Morover
Has it always been this way?

The only statement of purpose for the SC I can find is: A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.

Yes. Since it's inception.

"the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill" is a reference towards the recognition of those who further or suppress it, and the "via force if necessary" is a reference to liberations, which do have an actual effect on regions but are somewhat less common - mostly because they are only needed in exceptional circumstances that don't arise very often.

At least, that's my take of it. I think the biggest point of confusion here is a misunderstanding of the word "dissemination."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Upcrus
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Upcrus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:06 pm

Morover
Fair enough. I personally wish it were different, but I suppose if it's been this way since its inception, I as one nation probably won't cause it to change. I guess I'll just continue to ignore it then.

Cheers!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council