NATION

PASSWORD

Among Us Political Roleplay (18+)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:30 pm

Rusozak wrote:You know you have to ask yourself "Are we the baddies?" when oil giants chip in to fund your endeavors.

Giant commodities firm's underpin most of our society. It'd be surprising if someone in the United States of a net worth of at least $1,000,000 wasn't tied to various nefarious industries, such as oil & gas, pharmaceuticals, finance, and mining.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:50 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Rusozak wrote:You know you have to ask yourself "Are we the baddies?" when oil giants chip in to fund your endeavors.

Giant commodities firm's underpin most of our society. It'd be surprising if someone in the United States of a net worth of at least $1,000,000 wasn't tied to various nefarious industries, such as oil & gas, pharmaceuticals, finance, and mining.

Well yeah, that kind of goes without saying. I'm a firm believer that one can't be rich and powerful without stepping on others. After all, one doesn't become rich by being generous.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:54 pm

Rusozak wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:Giant commodities firm's underpin most of our society. It'd be surprising if someone in the United States of a net worth of at least $1,000,000 wasn't tied to various nefarious industries, such as oil & gas, pharmaceuticals, finance, and mining.

Well yeah, that kind of goes without saying. I'm a firm believer that one can't be rich and powerful without stepping on others. After all, one doesn't become rich by being generous.

That's not really what I said either. I just said that people with money are going to be connected to those industries in some way or another. A wealthy banker indirectly profits off his clients who might be pharmaceutical or oil & gas companies. A pharmaceutical executive's wealth indirectly comes from the chemical and mining industries who provide him with raw materials, a retailer of luxury goods relies on mining companies for jewels and his customers could include wealthy bankers, and so on and so forth. Doesn't mean that these people are ruthless tycoons who are out to kill each other.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Rusozak wrote:Well yeah, that kind of goes without saying. I'm a firm believer that one can't be rich and powerful without stepping on others. After all, one doesn't become rich by being generous.

This really is the key point, and it ties right in with what is often called the Iron Law of Bureaucracy. Why are all of our leaders seemingly disinterested in solving any real problems?

Selection bias.

The people who are willing to dismantle the very same institutions and systems that lift them up, unsurprisingly, tend to not make it very far up.
Last edited by Plzen on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

Those aren't Nefarious industries.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:01 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:Giant commodities firm's underpin most of our society. It'd be surprising if someone in the United States of a net worth of at least $1,000,000 wasn't tied to various nefarious industries, such as oil & gas, pharmaceuticals, finance, and mining.

No shit, but they're what people default to when thinking of "evil" corporations. Although I'd argue that media/entertainment, tech, and telecom companies are even worse. Not only are they the driving force behind a consolidation of information and censorship, they end to be heavily populated with pedophiles and sexual predators (esp. media/entertainment).
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:14 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

No shit, but they're what people default to when thinking of "evil" corporations. Although I'd argue that media/entertainment, tech, and telecom companies are even worse. Not only are they the driving force behind a consolidation of information and censorship, they end to be heavily populated with pedophiles and sexual predators (esp. media/entertainment).

I went to look for stats to disprove you. Instead I found.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 083964001/

94% of women in Hollywood have been the victim of sexual misconduct.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:15 pm

Greed and Death wrote:

Every industry run by the bourgeoisie is nefarious.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:16 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

Now you are delusional.
Barack Obama

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:19 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

I went to look for stats to disprove you. Instead I found.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 083964001/

94% of women in Hollywood have been the victim of sexual misconduct.

Yeah, it's a cesspool that should be excised from society.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:19 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

that leaves state-owned enterprises in third world countries
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:20 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:Every industry run by the bourgeoisie is nefarious.

Now you are delusional.

Any individual or institution that leeches off the value of the labor of the proletariat is nefarious.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:22 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Now you are delusional.

Any individual or institution that leeches off the value of the labor of the proletariat is nefarious.

As though management and capital collection are not a contribution to the value of finished product or service.
Barack Obama

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:23 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Now you are delusional.

who is doing the leeching and how are they doing it
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:24 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

that leaves state-owned enterprises in third world countries

Pretty much, but many of those are dominated by greed as well. It also leaves some worker-run co-ops and a few self-employed people.

Bear Stearns wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:Any individual or institution that leeches off the value of the labor of the proletariat is nefarious.

who is doing the leeching and how are they doing it

The modern class structure in capitalist society revolves around socioeconomics, with the upper class consisting of CEOs, investors, and the like. These people own shares in companies, which convert of the value of their workers' labor into commodities and currency. The vast majority of this labor value is never received by the workers, but instead by the bourgeoisie at the very top of the company. In economic terms, this is known as "profit". Other examples of bourgeoisie parasitism include
-Exploiting people by forcing them to pay for land and necessities
-Much of modern trade
-environmental destruction
-etc.

This is an extremely simplified version of the capitalist system of parasitism, for the full story read Das Kapital.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:52 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

So, we getting bold and saying all US corporations are malicious? FFS.

Oil giants are often bad actors, and what they're doing here is no surprise. But it's a leap to go from "curtail the power of the oil lobby and corporate donations" to "all corporations are evil." The truth is never found in extreme simplicity.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:59 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

So, we getting bold and saying all US corporations are malicious? FFS.

Oil giants are often bad actors, and what they're doing here is no surprise. But it's a leap to go from "curtail the power of the oil lobby and corporate donations" to "all corporations are evil." The truth is never found in extreme simplicity.

I'm not saying all corporations are evil because of oil companies, I'm saying it because of their parasitic nature in general.

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:35 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Rah wrote:I feel as if I am in the 1890’s reading this thread, with its proto communist jargon and clearly unimplementable solutions. The US is a huge place with a huge economy. That will never change regardless of government style. I agree we should shift off petrochemical focus by using the existing petrochemical dtructure to support real world, tested Electrical generation, to move to electric cars. Does China or Russia have an extensive rail system outside the major cities? No. They are/“were” both Communisms....

Its all due to scale. Europe can do it because by comparison it is small Space wise but high in population density compared to Russia and US.. You dont see much rail inCanada either, outside a few cities. As for cops, I received a call to order 10 police cruisers yesterday (I work in manufacturing). The policeman currently drives a 1991 Crown Victoria. Getting hem into cleaner and safer vehicles makes the public safer as well you know. The people and all that. I see this as a corporation being socially responsible, not social engineering.

Actually China has quite a lot of rail. Also a very high population, you'd have done better to put China in with Europe as places rail can work.

I don't agree that rail isn't worthwhile in the US. There is a lot of existing rail that is in terrible condition and therefore slow, made worse by the cost-cutting of using a lot of level crossings (which slow traffic more than trains, but are in any case dangerous). But where the greatest contribution could be made would be new fast rail, to reduce the use of air travel.

What do you mean "tested Electrical generation"? Nuclear is good, but has a long lead time. All kinds of renewables have long lead time too, for a different reason: up-front cost. There's just not enough investment capital in the sector at one time, but this sounds like work for the Federal government to me. Or perhaps you meant gas or coal generation ...

Why doesn't the United States have high speed trains like Europe and Asia?

However, I am also a student of Economics and I am fully aware of the realities that make the economics of high-speed rail far less attractive than they are in Europe and East Asia. These include:

* Population density or lack thereof
    * Our unique model of urban and suburban development
    * The strength of our property rights
    * Car culture, or America's lingering obsession with the automobile
    * The lasting power of network effects
    * An existing rail network is geared towards long-haul commercial freight traffic
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:45 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Plzen wrote:Would that be such a bad thing?

If gasoline jumped to, oh, 7~8€ a gallon - like in the Netherlands - I have to imagine that the US would abruptly start seriously rethinking everything from consumer delivery logistics to urban planning and accomplish everything that 40 years of environmentalist campaigning failed at doing.

If we had a decent system of public transportation and less parking lots, we'd do that. But instead of designing a decent system, Sacramento's building high speed rail... to connect the few areas already covered by transportation. When our gas price goes up, it's the poor who are fucked. Without public transport, and with everything so far apart in LA, and so expensive to bring closer together, what're the options?

Build/maintain better public transportation in the city first :unsure:
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Nouveau Yathrib wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
If we had a decent system of public transportation and less parking lots, we'd do that. But instead of designing a decent system, Sacramento's building high speed rail... to connect the few areas already covered by transportation. When our gas price goes up, it's the poor who are fucked. Without public transport, and with everything so far apart in LA, and so expensive to bring closer together, what're the options?

While I would definitely be in favor of that there is a concerted political effort on the party of NIMBY types, anti-gentrification types, and of course the astroturfed petrochemical backed types to half the expansion of the public transit system, using fears that public transit spikes rent prices.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Purpelia wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Except that rail doesn't go to every town, and even if it did it still has the inherent problems of outsourcing your transport to a private company which may have a sucky timetable if they're not on strike. I'll stick with my motorcycle thanks.

See how you answered your own complaint there.

Yeaah...you see in Britain* we have this great system which takes the worst parts of a privatised system and then the worst parts of a public system and then mush them together to create the national rail network.

Also, do public-sector employees not go on strike where you are?

*yes I know it's a US-focused thread.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Ifreann wrote:I know how trees work, I don't understand why you're telling me I don't have seeds or soil or time.

They do regularly fall in the woods, though they are rarely heard doing so.

Seeds occur in nature without human intervention. Kinda how plants have reproduced for millions of years.

But the seeds don't belong to you. Neither do the trees. You have to purchase them from their owner. Likewise, if you live in a desert, there are no trees, and someone must be motivated to bring lumber to where you are. Or you must go to where the materials to make your work valuable are.

The seeds occur in nature. Workers transform the resulting trees into lumber, and the lumber into all kinds of things.

At what stage of this process is there any use for someone who just owns seeds? What value does their ownership add? From where does their ownership arise? Why should it be respected?
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:Nobody generates wealth. Wealth exists. You simply shift it around, or sometimes discover more.

That's gold.

This quote will go straight to my sig.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Plzen wrote:Private property began when some entrepreneurial strongman figured out that he can just wall off some natural resource, which was formally held in common, and use violence to enforce his right to dictate how it is used.

Since property and ownership are arbitrary concepts with no basis in objectively measurable reality anyways, nobody deserves to own anything and the rightful distribution of property is whatever distribution creates the socially optimal results. Of course the definition of "socially optimal" varies with ideology, but this laissez-faire idea that there exists such a thing as the natural distribution of property is really strange, if you think about it.

"Tragedy of the Commons" is proudly standing in your way. :)
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:39 pm

Nouveau Yathrib wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Even if it is abrupt, it would still be a net good.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General