NATION

PASSWORD

Taiwan: Chinese Sending Military Planes "Almost Daily"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:21 am

Tolopel wrote:
Adamede wrote:China want's to assert it's dominance over the western Pacific Ocean.

oh god
like the japanese empire?

More or less.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:22 am

Tolopel wrote:
Adamede wrote:China want's to assert it's dominance over the western Pacific Ocean.

oh god

Eh, probably less directly involved than what the Japanese wanted, but pretty close.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 am

Wallenburg wrote:Always nice when OP tries to scare the ever loving shit out of everyone over almost nothing.

As if PRC planes violating Taiwan's airspace is suddenly a new thing.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:26 am

Tolopel wrote:

oh god

Pretty much, its plans and ideologue bear much in common with those of imperial Japan of the 30s, but of course with the “Han race as nucleus”/big brother/overlord rather than the “Yamato race as nucleus”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inve ... as_Nucleus
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:35 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:Always nice when OP tries to scare the ever loving shit out of everyone over almost nothing.

As if PRC planes violating Taiwan's airspace is suddenly a new thing.

True it is not new, but this is an unusually high amount of incursions.
Although I do not think it is likely the PRC is planning an imminent invasion, we still have to keep and eye out. Xi is reckless and unpredictable, much more than is predecessors (after Mao at least).
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Tolopel
Attaché

Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tolopel » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:39 am

Novus America wrote:
Tolopel wrote:oh god

Pretty much, its plans and ideologue bear much in common with those of imperial Japan of the 30s, but of course with the “Han race as nucleus”/big brother/overlord rather than the “Yamato race as nucleus”.

UN probably isn't going to like this

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:33 pm

Novus America wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:As if PRC planes violating Taiwan's airspace is suddenly a new thing.

True it is not new, but this is an unusually high amount of incursions.
Although I do not think it is likely the PRC is planning an imminent invasion, we still have to keep and eye out. Xi is reckless and unpredictable, much more than is predecessors (after Mao at least).

I agree.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Tolopel wrote:
Novus America wrote:

UN Everyone not part of the "nucleus race" probably isn't going to like this

FTFY.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

West Kronisia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby West Kronisia » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:43 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:Well, maybe we should show a little more force of our own.

The unfortunate issue with that is that lately there's been a couple stories showing that the US navy is having various issues, particularly in the pacific side of things. You have one LCS swanning around the pacific with one incredibly obviously empty missile tube 9 months after firing it, which is a concern as that's either one hell of a logistics issue, or someone just doesn't care enough.
( Source: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... ng-one-off : I'm not sure on how reliable a source this is, but the picture itself shows that the tube is unloaded, which is unusual as hell)

There's also that other ship (the USS Bonhomme Richard) that seems to be either an extreme reconstruction or total write off post a fire in the docks. Considering it was one of the few ships capable of carrying the F-35, it's a significant loss.
(source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/19/asia ... index.html )

I know you guys obviously have far more kit than that, but this year's had some pretty well publicized issues with the US navy. Might be making the PRC feel like it has a chance to get something sneaky in, I.E. what it's doing here. Maybe they're hoping for a quick enough campaign to sweep in before you guys can arrive? Who knows.
Call me Kro - It's my name pretty much anywhere else on the internet.

I'm a big history nerd and enjoyer of video games. Always willing to listen if someone needs a friend!

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:48 pm

The LCS was intended to be abandoned should it ever receive a hit for the record. It's intended job were pretty much the duties of a glorified police frigate.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

West Kronisia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby West Kronisia » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:22 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:The LCS was intended to be abandoned should it ever receive a hit for the record. It's intended job were pretty much the duties of a glorified police frigate.

A ship is still a ship, when it comes down to a fight. It being a glorified police frigate doesn't explain why it's missing a vital part of it's armament 9 months down the line from firing it? It's the sort of show of either weakness or complacency that places like the PRC would happily take as a sign that they can do what they want as the USN isn't equipping itself for a fight properly.
Call me Kro - It's my name pretty much anywhere else on the internet.

I'm a big history nerd and enjoyer of video games. Always willing to listen if someone needs a friend!

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:50 pm

Novus America wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:That's not likely to happen anytime soon; we're too busy fighting amongst ourselves within our own nations over fuck alone knows - it would've been more feasible 60 years ago.

I agree, hence the in theory part. Also there is the huge cultural divide between Africa North and South of the Sahara, plus other less obvious but still big divides. Outsiders tend to look at Africa as one monolithic culture and entity which completely overlooks the complexities and diversity of the continent.
Africa had a lot of bad luck as time went on. It was relegated to the back peddle and went into decline and failed to advance as quickly as Europe, then it had a divide and conquer colonial break up of the area by European powers. After they left, there were attempts to improve the region, though it rapidly became a collection of corrupt tin-pot dictatorships that peddle anti-colonialist ideology to keep in power and keep the wealth in their own hands. South Africa while called a 'democracy' deals with labor disputes by killing the miners, and nationalizes farms rather than do anything to actually stimulate the economy and create jobs. Ethiopia is probably the best off in the long-term and I have my hopes that a few other African countries might escape the toxic cycle of violence and corruption and lead Africa out of it. That said, there are gross violations of human rights by all of them.
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:55 pm

Adamede wrote:
Tolopel wrote:china why doe

China want's to assert it's dominance over the western Pacific Ocean.

Isn't Taiwan the eastern pacific? Or is there some weird thing because the Pacific crosses hemispheres?
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Alistan Democratic Nation
Attaché

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan Democratic Nation » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:09 pm

As a Filipino, the implications that it may have on my country alone is already terrifying. If the Chinese can do this to Taiwan, they can make more overt shows to force the Philippines into its Sphere of Influence. It also poses a large security threat to the wider SEA region.
Occasional RPer. Don't talk to me about politics as I don't care anymore.

RPs currently participating in:
A Victory in the East Reboot

Past RPs participated in:
Red Badge of Courage
Cold War RP Reboot
A Victory in the East

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017

Postby New Visayan Islands » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Alistan Democratic Nation wrote:As a Filipino, the implications that it may have on my country alone is already terrifying. If the Chinese can do this to Taiwan, they can make more overt shows to force the Philippines into its Sphere of Influence. It also poses a large security threat to the wider SEA region.

Not helping is how our President seems hell-bent on shutting dissent out the way the Red Chinese are doing.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:39 pm

Alistan Democratic Nation wrote:As a Filipino, the implications that it may have on my country alone is already terrifying. If the Chinese can do this to Taiwan, they can make more overt shows to force the Philippines into its Sphere of Influence. It also poses a large security threat to the wider SEA region.

We need a far east NATO equivalent to oppose China. Many small, weaker nations near China for them to exploit. Unity should be important for these nations. Taiwan will not be the last if it falls.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Mushet wrote:

Isn't Taiwan the eastern pacific? Or is there some weird thing because the Pacific crosses hemispheres?

Western Pacific.

America is the Eastern Pacific.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:22 am

New Visayan Islands wrote:

Not helping is how our President seems hell-bent on shutting dissent out the way the Red Chinese are doing.

And him being generally too friendly towards Xi Jinping.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Postby New Visayan Islands » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:28 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
New Visayan Islands wrote:Not helping is how our President seems hell-bent on shutting dissent out the way the Red Chinese are doing.

And him being generally too friendly towards Xi Jinping.

Sounds almost like code for something that would cause the Mods to tear me a new and bloody one if I were to describe it in detail, if you ask me.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:32 am

Mushet wrote:

So just as the western Atlantic is along the eastern coast of the Americas, the eastern coast of Asia is the western Pacific.

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Postby New Visayan Islands » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:36 am

Rusozak wrote:

We need a far east NATO equivalent to oppose China. Many small, weaker nations near China for them to exploit. Unity should be important for these nations. Taiwan will not be the last if it falls.

So a revived SEATO?

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:42 am

Rusozak wrote:

So a revived SEATO?

Probably. APDEC (Asia-Pacific Defence and Economic Cooperative) sounds nice to me. Not exactly a fan of having yet another TO group after NATO.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:53 am

Rusozak wrote:

So a revived SEATO?

But more expansive. Maybe "far east" was a mistake. Rather, every country near China that has problems with China. That way the PRC can't Anschluss a neighbor without their entire border becoming a front line.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:00 am

Rusozak wrote:
New Visayan Islands wrote:So a revived SEATO?

But more expansive. Maybe "far east" was a mistake. Rather, every country near China that has problems with China. That way the PRC can't Anschluss a neighbor without their entire border becoming a front line.

Ideally such an Alliance should include the US, India, Australia, Japan, Malaysia, Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines. As the PRC is a threat to all.
Although unfortunately I do not think that is likely to happen soon.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:56 am

Not really surprising. This sort of thing has been going on ever since integrated air defence was invented. We used to do it to the USSR constantly in the cold war, sending planes directly towards their territory and then peeling off at the last second; and they did it right back too. Hell, they are still doing it.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General