NATION

PASSWORD

Aussie Rules World Cup Discussion Thread (OOC)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Aussie Rules World Cup Discussion Thread (OOC)

Postby Sylestone » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Hey, I was wondering what sort of rankings formula we should use for this tournament. Has anyone got any ideas?
I was personally thinking of using something along the lines of the KPB formula but if anyone has any better ideas then I would like to hear them.

Also, in terms of presidency, what do you think should be the best way to go. Should we have an election and if so, how many cycles are we going to have per election?
I’m definitely down to run for president.

Finally, how many times per year should this tournament be held?
I was thinking of doing it maybe 2-3 times per year, but I’d like to hear others thoughts on this matter.
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:21 am

Sylestone wrote:Hey, I was wondering what sort of rankings formula we should use for this tournament. Has anyone got any ideas?

Ranking is easy to sort out, I already have the nations that didn't make the quarter finals ranked 9 - 14.

Sylestone wrote:I was personally thinking of using something along the lines of the KPB formula but if anyone has any better ideas then I would like to hear them.

We also definitely need some kind of KPB points alongside the rank. Hopefully Kelssek can give us an idea on the best way to calculate this, as he is the most senior host among us.

Sylestone wrote:Also, in terms of presidency, what do you think should be the best way to go. Should we have an election and if so, how many cycles are we going to have per election?
I’m definitely down to run for president.

That could be good. I won't be putting myself up for president as RL work is beginning to pick up.

Sylestone wrote:Finally, how many times per year should this tournament be held?
I was thinking of doing it maybe 2-3 times per year, but I’d like to hear others thoughts on this matter.

2 - 3 a year sounds reasonable to me.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:54 pm

1. Congratulations Sarzonia on your well-deserved win, hope to see you back next time around.
2. A big thank-you to Baggieland for hosting.
3. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing: Rankings!
4. As no one else has applied for president, I will assume that I will take that role. If anyone wants to, there is still one more week to apply. If no one applies, then I will be president.
5. President elections will occur every four cycles. That means that the next election will take place at the end of the ARWC IV.
6. Expect the ARWC II Signup Thread to open in October.
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:00 am

Congratulations and thanks all for a great tournament!

How do the rankings work? Is there a formula somewhere?
I agree with the other points, for a small/new sport there's not much to do other than to make sure it'll stick around. We can always see if a 2 year RL period for a president is too much.
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:43 am

Ko-oren wrote:Congratulations and thanks all for a great tournament!

How do the rankings work? Is there a formula somewhere?
I agree with the other points, for a small/new sport there's not much to do other than to make sure it'll stick around. We can always see if a 2 year RL period for a president is too much.

I can get you a formula, I’ll add it to the rankings sheet.
Thanks for the insight.

Megistos
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:14 am

cool rankings, hope we can keep this on.
Last edited by Megistos on Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador To Canada

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:01 am

That would be great, but it's near impossible to follow a schedule like that for other sports. It's very rare for an event to be hosted even 3 times per year, let alone 2. Even the rugby codes rarely take place more than once a year (each), and that is with a decently large, dedicated userbase. I think we should focus on getting this show on the road regularly, we can talk about often later. I'm in the 'twice per year' crowd.
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:10 am

Ko-oren wrote: I think we should focus on getting this show on the road regularly,

Totally agree with this. The previous Aussie rules tournament before this one was about 7 years ago.

Let's get it established and try to increase the interest in it.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Ko-oren wrote: I think we should focus on getting this show on the road regularly,

Totally agree with this. The previous Aussie rules tournament before this one was about 7 years ago.

Let's get it established and try to increase the interest in it.

Yep, as I said, I think two to three a year ought to do that.
I’ve also updated the rankings so that you can see the formula. If anyone doesn’t like the formula and wants to use a different one, feel free to let me know.
Any questions don’t hesitate to ask.
Last edited by Sylestone on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:03 am

I'm still in the 2 - 3 a year boat.

In order to increase interest, I think we should try not to clash with the "big tournaments". There's the olympics and the next football world cup coming up fairly soon. We shouldn't overlap with these two.

Megistos
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:17 am

Baggieland wrote:I'm still in the 2 - 3 a year boat.

In order to increase interest, I think we should try not to clash with the "big tournaments". There's the olympics and the next football world cup coming up fairly soon. We shouldn't overlap with these two.

same. agreed.
Ambassador To Canada

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:38 am

Megistos wrote:
Baggieland wrote:I'm still in the 2 - 3 a year boat.

same. agreed.

well I totally suck and totally forgot (sorry)
But IRL I love aussie rules so the more the better
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:35 pm

ARWC II signups are now open!
Note that only four months have passed since that last edition's signups, this will probably be the only time this happens. From here on in it will probably be every 5-6 months.
Last edited by Sylestone on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:23 pm

As I alluded to in the signups thread, I will need someone to be kind enough that won't put up a bid to collect the host bid votes. If you would like to, just respond to this post and we'll sort stuff out.
There is still a week left until the host bid cutoff.
Last edited by Sylestone on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004

Postby Sarzonia » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:31 pm

Sylestone wrote:As I alluded to in the signups thread, I will need someone to be kind enough that won't put up a bid to collect the host bid votes. If you would like to, just respond to this post and we'll sort stuff out.

I can collect the votes
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 pm

Sarzonia wrote:
Sylestone wrote:As I alluded to in the signups thread, I will need someone to be kind enough that won't put up a bid to collect the host bid votes. If you would like to, just respond to this post and we'll sort stuff out.

I can collect the votes

Thank you!

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Host announcement
Due to unforeseen delays, we are pushing back cutoffs by one day (generally). The updated schedule will be posted on the OP soon.
Apologies for the inconvenience.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Sylestone wrote:Host announcement
Due to unforeseen delays, we are pushing back cutoffs by one day (generally). The updated schedule will be posted on the OP soon.
Apologies for the inconvenience.

and my overall shit planning :D

yeah, I made some mistakes, they should be fixed now.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:56 pm

Hey Mathuvan Union, there's no need to quote entire posts to reply to them. You can either quote the specific passage you're replying to or just make clear in your response which post you're answering.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:39 pm

Sarzonia wrote:Hey Mathuvan Union, there's no need to quote entire posts to reply to them. You can either quote the specific passage you're replying to or just make clear in your response which post you're answering.

I legit don't know why I do that.

Rwekazaland
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rwekazaland » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:33 pm

:) You know im feeling good getting the win
I am Rwekazaland. An very nice country that you can live in.

Participant in:
    International Basketball Championships 30
    World Baseball Classic 50
    WCoH XLI (41)
    Aussie Rules World Cup II.
    No Awards yet :(

Live Life.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:36 pm

Rwekazaland wrote::) You know im feeling good getting the win

I hate to break it to you, but I believe that the groups are in the wrong order. I'm waiting on Mathuvan Union to respond so we can change them. Seems to be a little issue on his end.
Sorry :(

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:43 pm

Sylestone wrote:
Rwekazaland wrote::) You know im feeling good getting the win

I hate to break it to you, but I believe that the groups are in the wrong order. I'm waiting on Mathuvan Union to respond so we can change them. Seems to be a little issue on his end.

What may have happened is Mathuvan pasted the teams in the wrong order into the thread. I encountered the same issue in the GCBT where I put the teams into the groups on the thread in the order that I drew them in, not the order that the xkoranate file had them in, so Mathuvan Union might want to check his xkor file. It is a mistake that I am sure many newer hosts have made (like I mentioned earlier, I made it myself), and is easy to overlook while planning as a new host, so if that is the issue, it probably isn’t something large to sweat over.
AO Lacrosse Invitational 2 Champions
World Twenty20 Championship X Champion
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
RP population: 23 million
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament 1
World Lacrosse Championships XXXV
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Northwest Kalactin wrote:
Sylestone wrote:I hate to break it to you, but I believe that the groups are in the wrong order. I'm waiting on Mathuvan Union to respond so we can change them. Seems to be a little issue on his end.

What may have happened is Mathuvan pasted the teams in the wrong order into the thread. I encountered the same issue in the GCBT where I put the teams into the groups on the thread in the order that I drew them in, not the order that the xkoranate file had them in, so Mathuvan Union might want to check his xkor file. It is a mistake that I am sure many newer hosts have made (like I mentioned earlier, I made it myself), and is easy to overlook while planning as a new host, so if that is the issue, it probably isn’t something large to sweat over.

I'm pretty sure he has scorinated each game on its own, which is why the results don't match up with each other.
I've made that mistake too, he'll fix it when he gets back online.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:33 pm

Northwest Kalactin wrote: the order that I drew them in, not the order that the xkoranate file had them in

Yeah I discovered that when I hosted ARWC I, and had a last minute panic! Once you draw the teams on the scorinator - save it and never change it!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports