NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] O plane, give us rain!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Apabeossie
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] O plane, give us rain!

Postby Apabeossie » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:30 am

I've decided to write another draft while my fire issue is going slow. I'll move on with the more solid draft.
O plane, give us rain!

validity: maybe require high tech, although unsure.

[desc] With severe droughts ravaging across @@NAME@@, scientists have suggested the possibility of creating artificial rainfall using cloud seeding, which utilizes chemicals to amplify the water amount in the air. While this will be good news for many in @@NAME@@, some are demanding confirmation before the plan goes ahead.

1. "This is going to be great," says meteorologist @@RANDOMNAME@@, dipping @@HIS@@ hand in your cup of water. If it does not rain, we should make it rain. Cloud seeding is an effective way to do this. If you pour some funding into us, we can put an end to the drought! probably." He sprinkles the water over your desk.

weather reports expect rain from planes pumping out smoke.

2. "Oh the cost!" mumbles your finance minister. "Ending the drought is good and all, but who is going to pay for this? There are more important things to spend that money on, like the military, education, and my tri-er...visit to Maxtopia. They should pay for their own project. In fact, we shouldn’t be responsible for helping disaster victims. It’s like they didn’t prepare."

funds for natural disaster relief have dried up.

3. "Heresy!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, leader of a small religion. "Droughts are a punishment from our gods. This artificial rain witchcraft will only make it worse! Only if we pray for rain, then the god will be happy and give us rain! In fact, thou shalt pray whenever disaster happens, and it will go away!"

everyone prays during natural disaster but not for the victims.

4. "Why isn’t anyone concerned about why droughts are happening?" environmentalist @@RANDOMNAME@@ appears out of nowhere. "Climate change makes droughts more frequent by reducing precipitation! Think beyond the immediate problem. Cut greenhouse emissions to lessen droughts!" @@HE@@ exits after plugging out all of the devices in your office.

government response to disaster victims is "it will be less serious next time".

Some Notes:
I could specify the 'small religion' although not sure which one at the moment.
The word "disaster" is repeated throughout the issue but not inside the option text, is that okay?
Last edited by Apabeossie on Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
✵ Your guide to Apabeossie ✵
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” -Les Mis Finale

Yahlia wrote:Surely everyone likes penguins? Who doesn't like penguins? I refuse to believe there are people out there who have an opinion of them worse than 'indifferent'

Einswenn wrote:For me it always was and is obscure why would people be so blind and shortsighted to allow themselves unsolicited hate. I’ve already posted this before: take care of your own life, live your own life, and don’t tell the others how they should live theirs

Dizgovzy wrote:Please go read a book or play outside instead of spending your youth behind a computer screen. Don’t waste your time on this site.

New Skandenivia wrote:AFAB ❌
AMAB ❌
Apab ✅

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:13 am

Can a drought 'ravage across' somewhere?

I feel the issue requires at least some tech level, as you commented.

Option 1 should probably have "... put an end to the drought! Well, probably." or something instead of the lower case p after the !.

The options are fine, but need a little polishing. I'm not sure about the gestures in option 1 (sprinkling water over your desk: I get the image, but why?) and 4 ('appears out of nowhere' after someone speaks, the transition is a little odd).

I have no problem with how often 'disaster' appears.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:51 am

Option 3- "our gods?" So what about monotheistic faiths?

Also, option 2- if droughts are that bad, are the costs really that much of a deterrent for just trying it anyway and hoping for the best? I mean, surely not, considering that there's a cloud seeding company in China who promises that it won't rain on your wedding day
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:21 pm

So we already have a couple different issues covering droughts. If that's the angle you're trying to go with, I'm struggling to see how you can do so without overlapping them.

Secondly, I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the technology this issue is about works. You can't amplify the amount of water in the air; you can only try and give water something that makes it easier to form into droplets heavy enough to fall to the earth.

If you want to make an issue about cloud seeding, you're probably going to have to come up with a more unique premise than just "there's a drought."
See You Space Cowboy...

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:05 pm

Drasnia wrote:You can't amplify the amount of water in the air;
Well, I'm sure you could, but there would be no particular advantage over just moving the water directly to your farms without going through the air first.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:37 am

Drasnia wrote:So we already have a couple different issues covering droughts. If that's the angle you're trying to go with, I'm struggling to see how you can do so without overlapping them.

Secondly, I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the technology this issue is about works. You can't amplify the amount of water in the air; you can only try and give water something that makes it easier to form into droplets heavy enough to fall to the earth.

If you want to make an issue about cloud seeding, you're probably going to have to come up with a more unique premise than just "there's a drought."

Succinctly put.I agree.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?