NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Regulations on Convict Labor

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

[DRAFT] Regulations on Convict Labor

Postby Barfleur » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:33 am

Regulations on Convict Labor
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Labor Rights | Proposed by: Barfleur

The World Assembly,

Applauding prior legislation, at the national and international level, to abolish slavery and protect the rights of workers;

Understanding that there are crimes for which a sentence of incarceration is appropriate;

Aware of nations which permit prisoners to work during the period of their incarceration;

Recognizing the value that prison labor brings to society, as well as to an incarcerated person, including, but not limited to, gaining work experience and receiving pay;

Dismayed by reports of abuse in the prison labor systems of many nations, including requiring prisoners to work for little or no pay;

Committed to guaranteeing basic rights for all sapient beings, including those serving a prison sentence;

Hereby:

1. Defines, for the purpose of this resolution, a "prisoner" as a sapient being confined to a certain location as punishment for a crime, excluding persons confined to their own home or that of a legal guardian;

2. Empowers member nations to decide for themselves, through their normal legislative process, whether to permit prisoners therein to work during the period of their incarceration;

3. Prohibits the sale or leasing of any prisoner by the government or any private prison to any private corporation or institution;

4. Extends all workplace health and safety regulations, past and future, on the national and international level, to cover prisoners working during the period of their incarceration;

5. Requires prisoners working during the period of their incarceration receive a wage commensurate to the extent of their work, which shall be equivalent to the wage a free worker employed in the same trade would receive for doing the same quantity and quality of work;

6. Authorizes the nations that permit prison labor to deduct from a prison laborer's wages enough money to cover security, accommodation, food, and all other amenities afforded to prisoners, provided that the amount deducted shall not be greater than the amount earned, and that a prisoner who is not working shall not be charged any money;

7. Clarifies that nothing in this resolution shall be construed to abolish or hinder the existence of private prisons, or disparage them in favor of government-owned prisons; and

8. Affirms its commitment to the rehabilitation of criminal offenders, and recognizes fair and gainful prison labor as a step in that direction.

This is quite a rough draft, and I have no idea when I plan on submitting it (ideally before September though). If there is any advice or feedback, I would be happy to hear it.

Edit Log
7/6/20: Added a clause clarifying that this resolution does not prohibit private prisons
7/7/20: Added a clause enabling nations to deduct prisoners' pay to cover the costs of keeping them imprisoned
7/9/20: Added a preambulatory clause
7/10/20: Changed title from "Regulations on Prison Labor" to "Regulations on Convict Labor" and added a phrase in the first clause acknowledging legislation by the WA and by individual nations
7/13/20: Removed “human or other” from Clause 1 and removed “or not” from Clause 2
7/14/20: Clarified that workplace health and safety regulation, past and future, apply to prison laborers
7/19/20: Edited the second clause to permit member nations to include prison labor as a sentence for a crime so as not to contradict GA#23
7/21/20: Removed the parts allowing nations to require prison labor so as not to contradict "International Criminal Protocol"
7/27/20: Submitted!
7/30/20: Failed to make queue, returned to drawing board
8/14/20: Changed "incarcerated being" to "incarcerated person" and modified the line relating to house arrest
8/16/20: Reworked the line relating to house arrest
Last edited by Barfleur on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:47 am, edited 22 times in total.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:34 am

“How would clause 3 work with private prisons, such as those in Kenmoria? Also, clause 4 requiring prisoners to receive the average wage of a free person doesn’t sit well with me; I would much prefer a requirement simply that prisons must provide remuneration for adequately-completed work.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Burn Swi
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Burn Swi » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:50 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“How would clause 3 work with private prisons, such as those in Kenmoria? Also, clause 4 requiring prisoners to receive the average wage of a free person doesn’t sit well with me; I would much prefer a requirement simply that prisons must provide remuneration for adequately-completed work.”

I would like to echo these sentiments: Burn Swi also has private prisons, and agree with either the revision or removal of clause 4. Thank you for your proposal and consideration.
Faith, Family, Freedom
Commonwealth of Burn Swi
WA Ambassador: George Collins

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:55 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“How would clause 3 work with private prisons, such as those in Kenmoria? Also, clause 4 requiring prisoners to receive the average wage of a free person doesn’t sit well with me; I would much prefer a requirement simply that prisons must provide remuneration for adequately-completed work.”

Burn Swi wrote:I would like to echo these sentiments: Burn Swi also has private prisons, and agree with either the revision or removal of clause 4. Thank you for your proposal and consideration.

"The purpose of clause 3 is to end the practice of convict leasing, which, aside from being abusive to the prisoners, is harmful to free workers, as employers are able to outsource their work to underpaid prisoners, thus driving down wages. Clause 4 has a similar purpose, to remove the incentive to hire prisoners as opposed to free workers. It also ensures that prisoners make a fair amount of money for the work they do. But I will change clause 4, so let me know what you think of the edit."
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Terttia
Envoy

Founded: Jul 28, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:31 pm

OOC: There are no strengths within the “Regulation” category; there are only areas of effect.
“Never was anything great achieved without danger.” -Niccolò Machiavelli

Burn Swi
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Burn Swi » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Barfleur wrote:

Burn Swi wrote:I would like to echo these sentiments: Burn Swi also has private prisons, and agree with either the revision or removal of clause 4. Thank you for your proposal and consideration.

"The purpose of clause 3 is to end the practice of convict leasing, which, aside from being abusive to the prisoners, is harmful to free workers, as employers are able to outsource their work to underpaid prisoners, thus driving down wages. Clause 4 has a similar purpose, to remove the incentive to hire prisoners as opposed to free workers. It also ensures that prisoners make a fair amount of money for the work they do. But I will change clause 4, so let me know what you think of the edit."

I am still concerned about private prisons in clause 3, and clause 4 still in my opinion defeats the purpose of prisons. What is the point of prison if criminals are treated better then private citizens? Unless these concerns are adequately addressed, I am going to have to vote no on this.
Faith, Family, Freedom
Commonwealth of Burn Swi
WA Ambassador: George Collins

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:34 am

Barfleur wrote:The purpose of clause 3 is to end the practice of convict leasing

OOC: You realize it's also banning work release, if the place they would work in, was private institution? And no, "work release" does not mean just being released from prison (after serving your sentence), it means serving the rest of your sentence working - basically parole - for the institution or business or person or whatever that's agreeing to oversee you and make sure you don't get in trouble with the law again.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:06 am

Burn Swi wrote:
Barfleur wrote:

I am still concerned about private prisons in clause 3, and clause 4 still in my opinion defeats the purpose of prisons. What is the point of prison if criminals are treated better then private citizens? Unless these concerns are adequately addressed, I am going to have to vote no on this.

Prisoners are not "treated better" than non-prisoners, they just have to be paid a fair wage. It also allows them to repay their debt to society (by doing useful work and not at the expense of free workers) and gives them valuable work experience, thus making it more likely for them to find a job once released and making it less likely for them to reoffend.
Co-author, GA#534.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:12 am

Barfleur wrote:Prisoners are not "treated better" than non-prisoners, they just have to be paid a fair wage.

OOC: Why? Unless the state is allowed to charge them for all the costs of keeping them in the prison (not just the security measures but also food, healthcare and amenities) in the same manner as non-prisoners, you ARE treating them better.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:16 am

Araraukar wrote:
Barfleur wrote:Prisoners are not "treated better" than non-prisoners, they just have to be paid a fair wage.

OOC: Why? Unless the state is allowed to charge them for all the costs of keeping them in the prison (not just the security measures but also food, healthcare and amenities) in the same manner as non-prisoners, you ARE treating them better.

OOC: That's fair. I will add a clause to that extent.
Co-author, GA#534.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:32 pm

Bumping for further feedback. I'll also be keeping an edit log, starting today.
Co-author, GA#534.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:29 am

OOC: Obvious issue: forced labour is not allowed, nations can't require prison labour.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:24 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Obvious issue: forced labour is not allowed, nations can't require prison labour.

OOC: GA#23 specifically excludes "prison labour or community service given as sentence in the course of a fair trial" from the definition of forced labor, so nations can and do require it. My proposal would still allow them to do so, provided they abide by the regulations set out in this resolution and GA#23.
Co-author, GA#534.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:28 am

"In the event that the proposal from the Tinfectian delegation should pass, I will edit the second clause to remove the part allowing member nations to require prisoners to work during the period of their incarceration. If it does not pass, I will leave the proposal intact."
Co-author, GA#534.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:22 pm

“Clause 1 could easily be made simpler by having just ‘a sapient being’ rather than ‘a human or other sapient being’. Also, ‘whether or not’ in clause 2 is redundant.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:21 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Clause 1 could easily be made simpler by having just ‘a sapient being’ rather than ‘a human or other sapient being’. Also, ‘whether or not’ in clause 2 is redundant.”

“Fixed, thank you.”
Co-author, GA#534.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:32 pm

I was thinking of submitting soon, but then I saw there are 2 proposals already in queue... and 15 illegal proposals. I think I'll submit once the next two have been voted on.
Co-author, GA#534.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:34 am

Barfleur wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Obvious issue: forced labour is not allowed, nations can't require prison labour.

OOC: GA#23 specifically excludes "prison labour or community service given as sentence in the course of a fair trial" from the definition of forced labor, so nations can and do require it. My proposal would still allow them to do so, provided they abide by the regulations set out in this resolution and GA#23.

OOC: Highlighted the relevant part. Unless you're restricting this whole thing on sentenced work only (of which I don't see any hint), then member nations cannot require that prisoners not so sentenced, have to work while in prison.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:43 am

Araraukar wrote:
Barfleur wrote:OOC: GA#23 specifically excludes "prison labour or community service given as sentence in the course of a fair trial" from the definition of forced labor, so nations can and do require it. My proposal would still allow them to do so, provided they abide by the regulations set out in this resolution and GA#23.

OOC: Highlighted the relevant part. Unless you're restricting this whole thing on sentenced work only (of which I don't see any hint), then member nations cannot require that prisoners not so sentenced, have to work while in prison.

That's certainly a good point. I suppose that leaves the door open to member nations handing down generic prison sentences like "5 years in prison, during which we have the option of forcing you to work." But maybe I should amend my proposal to make that more clear.
Co-author, GA#534.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:52 pm

Barfleur wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Highlighted the relevant part. Unless you're restricting this whole thing on sentenced work only (of which I don't see any hint), then member nations cannot require that prisoners not so sentenced, have to work while in prison.

That's certainly a good point. I suppose that leaves the door open to member nations handing down generic prison sentences like "5 years in prison, during which we have the option of forcing you to work." But maybe I should amend my proposal to make that more clear.

OOC: Except if and when this passes (currently 59% for), forced prison labour is banned in cases not directly covered by the previous one.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:23 am

Bumping for further feedback. Depending on the number of submitted proposals and on RL happenings I may submit in the next two weeks.
Co-author, GA#534.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:29 am

I have sent this proposal to the floor. Fingers crossed, it will be approved.
Co-author, GA#534.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:57 am

/bump

I'm thinking of reworking this proposal to make it more passable, and then submitting again.
Co-author, GA#534.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Barfleur wrote:/bump

I'm thinking of reworking this proposal to make it more passable, and then submitting again.

(OOC: Did it not reach quorum? I can’t think why, except perhaps due to an error with campaigning. There doesn’t seem to be anything immediately wrong with the draft.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:53 am

Clarification needed: Are prisons allowed to force everyone off their arse and work? Or is it an 'opt-in' thing?
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly