NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIX: Hambergers, Noble Prizes, & Disinfectant

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:26 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:The right thing done by the wrong person can sometimes be worse than doing nothing.

Not really.

Hmmm. Actually yes unless of course you have an example?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:29 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:And that is bad because...

The right thing done by the wrong person can sometimes be worse than doing nothing.

Could you elaborate?
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Not really.

Do you have an example of someone doing the right thing but it being the wrong person and so it miraculously turns out bad?
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:12 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

Do you have an example of someone doing the right thing but it being the wrong person and so it miraculously turns out bad?

A question to a question isn’t an answer. If you don’t have an example, it’s easier to simply write “I don’t”
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

A question to a question isn’t an answer. If you don’t have an example, it’s easier to simply write “I don’t”

And you are owed an answer because....?

They made a baseless assertion because they don't like it when Trump does things right, because it undermines their mental cardboard cutout of Trump as a racist idiot. I said their assertion was wrong and dumb. I don't need to justify why.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:52 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

And you are owed an answer because....?

They made a baseless assertion because they don't like it when Trump does things right, because it undermines their mental cardboard cutout of Trump as a racist idiot. I said their assertion was wrong and dumb. I don't need to justify why.

Tbf, the whole "you know who else did X ? Y!", where Y is often Hitler or similar is a popular thing to discredit ideas and encourage other actions.
It is a fallacy ofc, but in the real world people do not care about fallacies - they care about getting their way.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:29 pm

Aureumterra wrote:And that is bad because...

The right thing done by the wrong person can sometimes be worse than doing nothing.

That doesn't make any sense.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:39 am

I'm not seeing any reason why the Chinese won't follow the American approach of their own law trumps international law. If Xi says the Spratlys are his then that is the law, and no more illegal than the US occupation of Diego Garcia.
Everything is intertwinkled

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:54 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I'm not seeing any reason why the Chinese won't follow the American approach of their own law trumps international law. If Xi says the Spratlys are his then that is the law, and no more illegal than the US occupation of Diego Garcia.

Problem is you can't do that willy-nilly in the 21st century. Pretty sure the South East Asian countries will start negotiations with the US to balance the power and that is not an ideal scenario for China at all.

Also Diego Garcia belongs to the Brits and they let the US establish a joint military base there, starting in 1968.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:45 am

Picairn wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I'm not seeing any reason why the Chinese won't follow the American approach of their own law trumps international law. If Xi says the Spratlys are his then that is the law, and no more illegal than the US occupation of Diego Garcia.

Problem is you can't do that willy-nilly in the 21st century. Pretty sure the South East Asian countries will start negotiations with the US to balance the power and that is not an ideal scenario for China at all.

Also Diego Garcia belongs to the Brits and they let the US establish a joint military base there, starting in 1968.

This is just sabre rattling from the US for electoral purposes. The US aren't going to do more than that.
Everything is intertwinkled

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:57 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:The right thing done by the wrong person can sometimes be worse than doing nothing.

That doesn't make any sense.

It does if you're not deliberately obtuse, but being deliberately obtuse is the coin of the realm in forums.

I mean...you know exactly what this means. The reason you cats are pretending it's confounding is because of how true it is, how Donald Trump of all people is the living breathing example of how completely true and obvious that is.

If you need a tracheotomy doing one is the right thing to do. Me doing one is just cutting your throat. I was the wrong person doing the right thing. I don't trust Trump with this because he has all the skill and tact for it that I have the surgical skills to perform a tracheotomy.

You know this, of course, because what I wrote wasn't that confounding. But you had to be deliberately obtuse because you know that Trump is the absolutely wrong person to handle this or any situation more complicated than tying his fucking shoe and everyone knows it.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:19 am

Northern Davincia wrote:That doesn't make any sense.

It does if you're not deliberately obtuse, but being deliberately obtuse is the coin of the realm in forums.

I mean...you know exactly what this means. The reason you cats are pretending it's confounding is because of how true it is, how Donald Trump of all people is the living breathing example of how completely true and obvious that is.

If you need a tracheotomy doing one is the right thing to do. Me doing one is just cutting your throat. I was the wrong person doing the right thing. I don't trust Trump with this because he has all the skill and tact for it that I have the surgical skills to perform a tracheotomy.

You know this, of course, because what I wrote wasn't that confounding. But you had to be deliberately obtuse because you know that Trump is the absolutely wrong person to handle this or any situation more complicated than tying his fucking shoe and everyone knows it.

They're also trying to ascribe visionary foresight and a principled opposition to Chinese expansionism from the same Donald Trump who spoke lovingly of Xi Jinping in regards to Chinese coronavirus response and likely has personal business interests including Ivanka's Chinese brand patents not to mention likely gave a thumbs-up to the Uighur concentration camps. A more realistic expectation is that Trump is looking through purely self-aggrandizing blinders and is trying to provoke a military conflict to give himself a War President boost for the 2020 election.
Last edited by Gormwood on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:29 am

I don't really care if Trump is only pressuring China because he wants China to assassinate Joe Biden, it's still better than if he wasn't pressuring China.

China must be opposed at every step, if Trump is doing that, great.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:34 am

Cisairse wrote:I don't really care if Trump is only pressuring China because he wants China to assassinate Joe Biden, it's still better than if he wasn't pressuring China.

It's also possible that should Trump get the War President boost he wants from a Chinese fight and gets reelected he'll promptly declare victory and bend over for Xi trying to net himself more sweet Chinese business deals in the process. A lot like how he campaigned on getting Hillary Clinton imprisoned then once he won it was "Now We Don't Care."
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:36 am

Northern Davincia wrote:That doesn't make any sense.

Not really no. Because cutting a throat isn't a Tracheotomy. You're doing the wrong thing.

If a Hobo performs a perfect Tracheotomy, I'm not going to complain.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:39 am

Gormwood wrote:
Cisairse wrote:I don't really care if Trump is only pressuring China because he wants China to assassinate Joe Biden, it's still better than if he wasn't pressuring China.

It's also possible that should Trump get the War President boost he wants from a Chinese fight and gets reelected he'll promptly declare victory and bend over for Xi trying to net himself more sweet Chinese business deals in the process. A lot like how he campaigned on getting Hillary Clinton imprisoned then once he won it was "Now We Don't Care."

Well, let's hope he doesn't win re-election, then.

Remember, starting an end-of-term war only really works to help win re-election (historically) if you can use it to disparage your opponent. Bush didn't win in 2004 because he started a war, he won because he started a war and John Kerry had no substantial alternative plan to Bush's for the future of that war, and, more specifically, because Kerry's wartime ideas were overall lackluster and Bush tore him apart for not having military credentials.
Joe Biden is not John Kerry and Donald Trump is not George Bush. The strategy wouldn't work.

Trump needs something drastic to overcome Joe Biden's rock-solid 9-point lead over him nationally, but this ain't it.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:40 am

Man, this desperate need to lionize if not canonize Trump in the face of his documented track record...

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:42 am

Cisairse wrote:
Gormwood wrote:It's also possible that should Trump get the War President boost he wants from a Chinese fight and gets reelected he'll promptly declare victory and bend over for Xi trying to net himself more sweet Chinese business deals in the process. A lot like how he campaigned on getting Hillary Clinton imprisoned then once he won it was "Now We Don't Care."

Well, let's hope he doesn't win re-election, then.

Remember, starting an end-of-term war only really works to help win re-election (historically) if you can use it to disparage your opponent. Bush didn't win in 2004 because he started a war, he won because he started a war and John Kerry had no substantial alternative plan to Bush's for the future of that war, and, more specifically, because Kerry's wartime ideas were overall lackluster and Bush tore him apart for not having military credentials.
Joe Biden is not John Kerry and Donald Trump is not George Bush. The strategy wouldn't work.

Trump needs something drastic to overcome Joe Biden's rock-solid 9-point lead over him nationally, but this ain't it.

Not really no. Right now Trump is likely to win.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:44 am

Cisairse wrote:Well, let's hope he doesn't win re-election, then.

are you sure about that buddy

cuz every poll, prediction, model, and even random people putting their money on the line 100% disagree with you.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:46 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:It does if you're not deliberately obtuse, but being deliberately obtuse is the coin of the realm in forums.

Not really no. Because cutting a throat isn't a Tracheotomy. You're doing the wrong thing.

If a Hobo performs a perfect Tracheotomy, I'm not going to complain.

Like I said, being deliberately obtuse is the coin of the realm. I mean, I'm sure it felt like you were making an argument, and that's what's important, right?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:48 am

Cisairse wrote:

are you sure about that buddy

cuz every poll, prediction, model, and even random people putting their money on the line 100% disagree with you.

something something 2016 the last thing to happen is the thing that will always happen lack of understanding of polls and probability etc. blah blah blah unprompted sideswipe at Clinton laugh at own joke...I think I've covered the auto-response.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:51 am

Cisairse wrote:are you sure about that buddy

something something 2016 the last thing to happen is the thing that will always happen lack of understanding of polls and probability etc. blah blah blah unprompted sideswipe at Clinton laugh at own joke...I think I've covered the auto-response.

The Time Lords put a Time Lock on America and we're trapped in Eternal 2016.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:23 am

Except he really is not. He is in debt to the bank of China, his new china trade policy heavily favors China and once the election is over, if he wins, i bet he will drop the facade and just say "China is our friend."
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:24 am

Cisairse wrote:Well, let's hope he doesn't win re-election, then.

Says literally no one who doesn't wear a MAGA hat. Right now if the election was held today, Donald Trump would be out of office.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:50 am

Aureumterra wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Somebody's thirsting for that War President electoral bonus...

US rejects nearly all Chinese claims in South China Sea

Now watch China make it personal by revoking all of Ivanka's trademark patents in response.

And that is bad because...

Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Made a Good Point
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General