NATION

PASSWORD

[Drafting Still] Maternity and Childcare Support

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“In clause 1a, ‘Includes childbirth and abortion’ isn’t a proper sentence. I recommend changing it to ‘including childbirth and abortion’ and making it a clause of the previous sentence.”

Zodiac scribbles a bit more on the copy.

"I have now done something similar to this, though I wonder now if it might come across as a run-on sentence."
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:49 pm

Godular wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“In clause 1a, ‘Includes childbirth and abortion’ isn’t a proper sentence. I recommend changing it to ‘including childbirth and abortion’ and making it a clause of the previous sentence.”

Zodiac scribbles a bit more on the copy.

"I have now done something similar to this, though I wonder now if it might come across as a run-on sentence."

“Since ‘including childbirth and abortion’ is a subordinate clause, this shouldn’t be an issue.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:53 pm

"How's the current phrasing though? Does that attend to the concern sufficiently or should I go with your suggestion verbatim?"
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Godular wrote:"How's the current phrasing though? Does that attend to the concern sufficiently or should I go with your suggestion verbatim?"

“Oh yes, I hadn’t seen the new phrasing. The new version is excellent.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:24 pm

OOC:

Small grammatical quibble -

In the definitions, the word/phrase you are defining is written in title case (where the first letter of each word is capitalized) - that does not mean, however, that those words need to be written in title case throughout the proposal. If you insist on leaving it as-is, though, you should be consistent. In clause 2b, you say "At-Risk households", refraining from capitalizing the "h" in households.

In 2c, you should say "members" as opposed to "nations" in order to ensure consistency.

Alternatively, you can ignore everything above this line if you simply get rid of the definitions, and put what the definition is in place of the defined words themselves. In fact, I recommend this route - other than "Members," you only use each defined word once (unless I'm missing something somehow), so by defining it, you're really only making the proposal beefier. In place of "members," you can use "member-states" or "member-nations," which is known terminology that does not need definition.

If you decide to do this, I've included how it would look + the BBCode below, for your ease.
The Nations of the World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING that access to abortion services is one of the most heavily ensconced rights among the nations of the WA, yet also one of the most heavily debated and contentious issues on the floor, that many nations have moral qualms regarding abortion access, and often feel disenfranchised by the prevailing atmosphere of perceived lack of compromise and understanding;

COGNIZANT of the fact that many abortions are taken because of the impact that such a pregnancy would have upon one's economic and educational circumstances, in addition to any medical or psychological ramifications, and that the costs of medical services are often seen as prohibitive to unplanned pregnancies, thereby preventing them from becoming unwanted pregnancies;

RESOLVED to put forward a means of reducing abortions in member states by presenting a means to ameliorate the financial and physiological ramifications of unplanned pregnancy, which are often among the root causes of the need for abortion services,

Hereby enacts the following:

1. Healthcare: Member-nations must enact policies enabling any form of health care pertaining to a person's pregnancy, inclusive of diagnostic, surgical, and pharmaceutical extents, as well as childbirth and termination of pregnancy to be offered free-of-charge to those persons that would fall under the purview of such policies.
  2. Welfare: Member-nations must enact policies providing any form of financial assistance afforded to households so as to remedy any financial or psychological strain that single parents might experience with the result of an unplanned pregnancy, including child-care services, tax relief, subsidies and any other services deemed appropriate options to any family that is experiencing circumstances that could lead to potential financial, psychological, or physiological detriment to the parent(s) due to pregnancy- or child-related circumstances. Such measures must include occupational child care, financial assistance for pediatric healthcare, and financial assistance for low-income or single-parent households. Such supports can and should remain subject to any currently established eligibility requirements.
  3. Funding: Resources from the World Assembly General Fund shall be utilized to address the needs of any member-nations that are verifiably unable to financially adhere to the mandates presented in this legislation.

Code: Select all

ACKNOWLEDGING that access to abortion services is one of the most heavily ensconced rights among the nations of the WA, yet also one of the most heavily debated and contentious issues on the floor, that many nations have moral qualms regarding abortion access, and often feel disenfranchised by the prevailing atmosphere of perceived lack of compromise and understanding;

COGNIZANT of the fact that many abortions are taken because of the impact that such a pregnancy would have upon one's economic and educational circumstances, in addition to any medical or psychological ramifications, and that the costs of medical services are often seen as prohibitive to unplanned pregnancies, thereby preventing them from becoming unwanted pregnancies;

RESOLVED to put forward a means of reducing abortions in member states by presenting a means to ameliorate the financial and physiological ramifications of unplanned pregnancy, which are often among the root causes of the need for abortion services,

[list=1][*][b]Healthcare:[/b] Member-nations must enact policies enabling any form of health care pertaining to a person's pregnancy, inclusive of diagnostic, surgical, and pharmaceutical extents, as well as childbirth and termination of pregnancy to be offered free-of-charge to those persons that would fall under the purview of such policies.

[*][b]Welfare:[/b] Member-nations must enact policies providing any form of financial assistance afforded to households so as to remedy any financial or psychological strain that single parents might experience with the result of an unplanned pregnancy, including child-care services, tax relief, subsidies and any other services deemed appropriate options to any family that is experiencing circumstances that could lead to potential financial, psychological, or physiological detriment to the parent(s) due to pregnancy- or child-related circumstances. Such measures must include occupational child care, financial assistance for pediatric healthcare, and financial assistance for low-income or single-parent households. Such supports can and should remain subject to any currently established eligibility requirements.

[*][b]Funding:[/b] Resources from the World Assembly General Fund shall be utilized to address the needs of any member-nations that are verifiably unable to financially adhere to the mandates presented in this legislation.[/list]
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:26 pm

Morover wrote:OOC:

In the definitions, the word/phrase you are defining is written in title case (where the first letter of each word is capitalized) - that does not mean, however, that those words need to be written in title case throughout the proposal. If you insist on leaving it as-is, though, you should be consistent. In clause 2b, you say "At-Risk households", refraining from capitalizing the "h" in households.

In 2c, you should say "members" as opposed to "nations" in order to ensure consistency.

Alternatively, you can ignore everything above this line if you simply get rid of the definitions, and put what the definition is in place of the defined words themselves. In fact, I recommend this route - other than "Members," you only use each defined word once (unless I'm missing something somehow), so by defining it, you're really only making the proposal beefier. In place of "members," you can use "member-states" or "member-nations," which is known terminology that does not need definition.

If you decide to do this, I've included how it would look + the BBCode below, for your ease.

1. Healthcare: Member-nations must enact policies enabling any form of health care pertaining to a person's pregnancy, inclusive of diagnostic, surgical, and pharmaceutical extents, as well as childbirth and termination of pregnancy to be offered free-of-charge to those persons that would fall under the purview of such policies.
  2. Welfare: Member-nations must enact policies providing any form of financial assistance afforded to households so as to remedy any financial or psychological strain that single parents might experience with the result of an unplanned pregnancy, including child-care services, tax relief, subsidies and any other services deemed appropriate options to any family that is experiencing circumstances that could lead to potential financial, psychological, or physiological detriment to the parent(s) due to pregnancy- or child-related circumstances. Such measures must include occupational child care, financial assistance for pediatric healthcare, and financial assistance for low-income or single-parent households. Such supports can and should remain subject to any currently established eligibility requirements.
  3. Funding: Resources from the World Assembly General Fund shall be utilized to address the needs of any member-nations that are verifiably unable to financially adhere to the mandates presented in this legislation.

[list=1][*][b]Healthcare:[/b] Member-nations must enact policies enabling any form of health care pertaining to a person's pregnancy, inclusive of diagnostic, surgical, and pharmaceutical extents, as well as childbirth and termination of pregnancy to be offered free-of-charge to those persons that would fall under the purview of such policies.

[*][b]Welfare:[/b] Member-nations must enact policies providing any form of financial assistance afforded to households so as to remedy any financial or psychological strain that single parents might experience with the result of an unplanned pregnancy, including child-care services, tax relief, subsidies and any other services deemed appropriate options to any family that is experiencing circumstances that could lead to potential financial, psychological, or physiological detriment to the parent(s) due to pregnancy- or child-related circumstances. Such measures must include occupational child care, financial assistance for pediatric healthcare, and financial assistance for low-income or single-parent households. Such supports can and should remain subject to any currently established eligibility requirements.

[*][b]Funding:[/b] Resources from the World Assembly General Fund shall be utilized to address the needs of any member-nations that are verifiably unable to financially adhere to the mandates presented in this legislation.[/list]

Might you agree that definition 2C could simply be removed, while the other two could remain intact without otherwise affecting the legislation?
New to F7? Click here!

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:53 pm

Godular wrote:
Morover wrote:OOC:

Might you agree that definition 2C could simply be removed, while the other two could remain intact without otherwise affecting the legislation?

All of them can remain intact - it just doesn't make much sense to define something that's only used once. It's up to you, really.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:12 pm

Wait... sorry, I misread, my question was in regards to section 1D.

Would it be workable to simply incorporate the definitions into each of the mandate clauses?
Last edited by Godular on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New to F7? Click here!

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Godular wrote:Wait... sorry, I misread, my question was in regards to section 1D.

Would it be workable to simply incorporate the definitions into each of the mandate clauses?

If you're going to keep the definitions, keep them in their own distinct section. I just think that the definitions are unnecessary - but it doesn't detract from the actual content of the resolution (it may make it more readable, too, so I do understand why you included it the way you did).

If you do keep the resolution as-is, though, you may want to take a look back at the title case issue I arose in that first message of mine.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:17 pm

Morover wrote:
Godular wrote:Wait... sorry, I misread, my question was in regards to section 1D.

If you're going to keep the definitions, keep them in their own distinct section. I just think that the definitions are unnecessary - but it doesn't detract from the actual content of the resolution (it may make it more readable, too, so I do understand why you included it the way you did).

If you do keep the resolution as-is, though, you may want to take a look back at the title case issue I arose in that first message of mine.

Already addressed... I think... gonna check again.

Edit: Yup! Did it! Just needed to update the changelog.
Last edited by Godular on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New to F7? Click here!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:39 pm

OOC: Title needs changing from "parents" to "households" to match contents. I'll check the actual contents tomorrow/after sleeps. Right now literally only one eye open anymore...
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Title needs changing from "parents" to "households" to match contents. I'll check the actual contents tomorrow/after sleeps. Right now literally only one eye open anymore...

OOC: I was actually wondering about that, myself. Change incorporated.
Last edited by Godular on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New to F7? Click here!

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:37 pm

OOC: Gonna go into the last-call stage, I think. If there are any other suggestions/concerns, I'd like to hear 'em.
New to F7? Click here!

Flying Eagles
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Flying Eagles » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:14 pm

From a practical point, how is this resolution enforceable because how will parent(s) prove to the government that a pregnancy is “unplanned”? We wouldn’t mind if you expanded this to all at-risk households’ pregnancies, but we may be somewhat alone in this viewpoint. Anyways, our critique:

1. This needs a new title. We’d go with something like “Prenatal Care For At-Risk Households Suffering from Unplanned Pregnancies” (inspired by Separatist Peoples, and yet still probably too long). When we saw the original title, we thought you were going to go give out food stamps or something like that to all poor households, not just pregnant ones. TLDR: Title too broad.

2. 1b defines welfare supports in terms of only “single parents”. This needs to be broadened to “at-risk households”

3. “Pregnancy- or child-related circumstances” in 1c can be replaced with “an unplanned pregnancy”

4. “This is in addition to any extant welfare supports that might already be in place, unless such measures are already accounted for” achieves what exactly? Did you intend to append this to the end of 1b instead?

5. 1d can be removed. We don’t think we’re the first delegation to tell you this, by the way.

6. “Those persons that would fall under the purview of such policies” in 2a can be replaced with “at-risk households” for clarity.

7. “Low-income or single-parent households“ in 2b can be replaced with “at-risk households”

We’ll probably have more to say, but this is more than enough for now.

OOC: This is nowhere close to last call, BTW.
XKI TITO Field Commander

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:59 pm

Flying Eagles wrote:From a practical point, how is this resolution enforceable because how will parent(s) prove to the government that a pregnancy is “unplanned”? We wouldn’t mind if you expanded this to all at-risk households’ pregnancies, but we may be somewhat alone in this viewpoint. Anyways, our critique:

1. This needs a new title. We’d go with something like “Prenatal Care For At-Risk Households Suffering from Unplanned Pregnancies” (inspired by Separatist Peoples, and yet still probably too long). When we saw the original title, we thought you were going to go give out food stamps or something like that to all poor households, not just pregnant ones. TLDR: Title too broad.

2. 1b defines welfare supports in terms of only “single parents”. This needs to be broadened to “at-risk households”

3. “Pregnancy- or child-related circumstances” in 1c can be replaced with “an unplanned pregnancy”

4. “This is in addition to any extant welfare supports that might already be in place, unless such measures are already accounted for” achieves what exactly? Did you intend to append this to the end of 1b instead?

5. 1d can be removed. We don’t think we’re the first delegation to tell you this, by the way.

6. “Those persons that would fall under the purview of such policies” in 2a can be replaced with “at-risk households” for clarity.

7. “Low-income or single-parent households“ in 2b can be replaced with “at-risk households”

The intent of this proposal is rather specifically that which you asked for. While the proposal aims to address unplanned pregnancies and offer support to them, the proposal makes no distinction between a planned and unplanned pregnancy, and simply endeavors to remove any potential complications that could cause a pregnancy to be no longer considered feasible.

1. I'm hesitant to alter the title, as it has already been shifted around a few times and I'd like more feedback before I make another change.

2, 4, 5, 6, 7. Fixed.

3. I'm hesitant on this one, specifically for the reason stated at the beginning of this post. A portion of this proposal also aims to ensure that child health care is accounted for.

I've been getting remarkably little feedback for a while. Kenmoria and Araraukar have offered a goodly chunk of advice, with Morover and Separatist Peoples also contributing a bit. If doing a last call gets this the attention that it needs to finally pass muster, I'm inclined to let it sit as such for a little bit.
Last edited by Godular on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New to F7? Click here!

Flying Eagles
Spokesperson

Democratic Socialists

Postby Flying Eagles » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:48 pm

Godular wrote:
Flying Eagles wrote:From a practical point, how is this resolution enforceable because how will parent(s) prove to the government that a pregnancy is “unplanned”? We wouldn’t mind if you expanded this to all at-risk households’ pregnancies, but we may be somewhat alone in this viewpoint. Anyways, our critique:

The intent of this proposal is rather specifically that which you asked for. While the proposal aims to address unplanned pregnancies and offer support to them, the proposal makes no distinction between a planned and unplanned pregnancy, and simply endeavors to remove any potential complications that could cause a pregnancy to be no longer considered feasible.

1. I'm hesitant to alter the title, as it has already been shifted around a few times and I'd like more feedback before I make another change.

2, 4, 5, 6, 7. Fixed.

3. I'm hesitant on this one, specifically for the reason stated at the beginning of this post. A portion of this proposal also aims to ensure that child health care is accounted for.

I've been getting remarkably little feedback for a while. Kenmoria and Araraukar have offered a goodly chunk of advice, with Morover and Separatist Peoples also contributing a bit. If doing a last call gets this the attention that it needs to finally pass muster, I'm inclined to let it sit as such for a little bit.

Fair enough. I think you forgot to add change 6 to the draft though
XKI TITO Field Commander

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:30 pm

Flying Eagles wrote:
Godular wrote:

2, 4, 5, 6, 7. Fixed.

Fair enough. I think you forgot to add change 6 to the draft though

Whoops.

Fixed.
New to F7? Click here!

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:38 am

OOC: I would not recommend changing the title. "Supporting At-Risk Households" accurately describes what the proposal does, as providing welfare and healthcare services to poor families expecting a baby is one of the most fundamental ways of supporting them. In terms of length, it's good to choose the shortest title that manages to say what you want it to say.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am

The obvious question is "At risk of what?". A good title ought to answer that.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:55 am

"Expanding Household Safety Nets"
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:07 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:The obvious question is "At risk of what?". A good title ought to answer that.

At risk of a goodly number of things, but the primary focus is on parent(s) choosing to terminate a pregnancy. The initial title was 'Encouraging Pregnancy Retention' but it was shifted away from that later.
New to F7? Click here!

Flying Eagles
Spokesperson

Democratic Socialists

Postby Flying Eagles » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:32 am

Godular wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The obvious question is "At risk of what?". A good title ought to answer that.

At risk of a goodly number of things, but the primary focus is on parent(s) choosing to terminate a pregnancy. The initial title was 'Encouraging Pregnancy Retention' but it was shifted away from that later.

Honestly, that title is better than what is currently proposed
XKI TITO Field Commander

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 am

Flying Eagles wrote:
Godular wrote:

Honestly, that title is better than what is currently proposed

I thought it was pretty decent as well, but this legislation also works to assist such households after birth, so focusing on pregnancy felt a bit like a misnomer.
New to F7? Click here!

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Title suggestion: "Free Abortion" :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Access to Pre-Natal Healthcare

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley