NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] News Flash!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[ACCEPTED] News Flash!

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Welp, it was either this or an issue about flashing while on camera, and that one's already kinda covered by #51: Streaker in Snooker Game Fiasco.

Meanwhile, I don't think this topic's been covered before, oddly enough. :blink:

(Also I have 0 idea why today I decided to write 4 drafts and wanted to do absolutely nothing else.)

Title: News Flash!
The Issue: In an effort to create excitement and interest, major news featured several instances of blaring noises and rapidly flashing colors, causing many discomfort, migraines, and in some cases epileptic seizures.
Validity: All

Option 1: "The last thing I expect in the morning is to be attacked by my television," sighs ardent media critic @@RANDOMNAME@@ while unnecessarily taking an aspirin. "The jabberwocky news anchors regurgitate is painful enough. Professional news and major networks must be barred from inflicting harm on people."
[effect] news scenes of riots are blotted out to protect interest groups

Option 2: "What if we made shows put epilepsy warnings before each instance and program?" suggests children's show editor @@RANDOMNAME@@, showing you a happy face with a warning in colorful, flashy letters. "Then people know when to tune out, and writers made more conscientious. Sure, it won't please everyone, but it's a nice compromise that can be applied to all media."
[effect] cartoons are comprised of 25% warnings telling the audience to stop watching

Validity: Not state-run media
Option 3a: "Why should my show be compromised?" refutes popular and controversial TV show host @@RANDOMNAME@@, entering your office with blinding rainbow strobe lights. "Which would you rather watch? A boring old guy in a suit, or a cinematic featuring epic explosions and fast-paced drama? If some people are too sensitive to watch the news, then they can always listen to it on radio or something."
[effect] grocery stores aren't liable if someone fails to notice a tripping hazard

Validity: State-run media
Option 3b: "Why should our state-wide media service be compromised?" refutes one of your lead news editors @@RANDOMNAME@@, entering your office with blinding rainbow strobe lights. "Which would you rather watch? A boring old guy in a suit, or a cinematic featuring epic explosions and fast-paced drama? If some people are too sensitive to watch the news, then they can listen to it on mandatory radios or something."
[effect] the state doesn't hold responsibility if someone fails to notice a tripping hazard

The Issue: In an effort to create excitement and interest, major news featured several instances of blaring noises and rapidly flashing colors, causing many discomfort, migraines, and in some cases epileptic seizures.

Option 1: "The last thing I'd expect would be to be attacked by my television," sighs ardent media critic @@RANDOMNAME@@ while unnecessarily taking an aspirin. "The nonsense they blurt out is painful enough. Professional news and major networks must not be allowed to do things that could cause physical harm to people."
[effect] news scenes of riots are blotted out to protect interest groups

Option 2: "Surely there's a compromise that could cover all forms of media," suggests children's show editor @@RANDOMNAME@@, showing you a happy face with a warning in friendly letters. "As long as TV shows are made to put flashing color warnings before the show and before the instance, then people can tune out before things get bad. Sure, it won't please everyone, but it's a nice, all-encompassing compromise."
[effect] cartoons are comprised of 25% warnings telling the audience to stop watching

Option 3a: "Why should my show be compromised?" refutes popular and controversial TV show host @@RANDOMNAME@@, entering your office with blinding rainbow lasers. "Which would you rather watch? A boring old guy in a suit, or a cinematic featuring flashy explosions and fast-paced drama? If some people are too sensitive to watch the program, then they can always listen to the news on radio or something."
[effect] grocery stores aren't liable if someone fails to notice a tripping hazard

Option 3b: "Why should our state-wide media service be compromised?" refutes one of your lead news editors @@RANDOMNAME@@, entering your office with blinding rainbow lasers. "Which would you rather watch? A boring old guy in a suit, or a cinematic featuring flashy explosions and fast-paced drama? If some people are too sensitive to watch the program, then they can listen to it on mandatory radios or something."
[effect] the state doesn't hold responsibility if someone fails to notice a tripping hazard

The Issue: In an effort to create excitement and interest in their news report, last night featured several instances of blaring noises and rapidly flashing colors, causing many discomfort, migraines, and in some cases epileptic seizures.

Option 1: "The last thing I'd expect would be to be attacked by watching the media," says ardent media critic @@RANDOMNAME@@ while unnecessarily taking an aspirin. "I don't care what kind of nonsense they blurt out. They must not be allowed to do things that could cause physical harm to people."
[effect] news scenes of riots are blotted out to "protect people from harm"

Option 2: "It's not just the news, but surely we could compromise," suggests children's show editor @@RANDOMNAME@@, showing you a happy face with a warning in friendly letters. "As long as TV shows are made to put flashing color warnings sufficiently before they happen, as well as at the beginning of the program, then people can tune out before things get bad. Sure, it won't please everyone, but it's a much less draconian compromise."

Option 3a: "Why should my show be compromised?" refutes popular and controversial TV show host @@RANDOMNAME@@, entering your office with blinding rainbow lasers. "It's my show, I should be able to do what I want! And would you want to watch us if we were boring? If some people are too sensitive to watch the program, then they can do something else, like listen to it on the radio or something."

Option 3b: "Why should our state-run media be compromised?" refutes one of your lead news editors @@RANDOMNAME@@, entering your office with blinding rainbow lasers. "It's the government's show, and we should run it however we want! And, c'mon, you want excitement to engage the masses, don't you? If some people are too sensitive to watch the program, then they can listen to it on mandatory radios or something."

The Issue: In an effort to create excitement and interest in their news report, last night featured several instances of blaring noises and rapidly flashing colors, causing many discomfort, migraines, and in some cases epileptic seizures.

Option 1: "The last thing I'd expect would be to be attacked by watching the media," says ardent media critic @@RANDOMNAME@@ while unnecessarily taking an aspirin. "I don't care what kind of nonsense they blurt out. They must not be allowed to do things that could cause physical harm to people."
[effect] news scenes of riots are blotted out to "protect people from harm"

Option 2: "It's not just the news, but surely we could compromise," suggests children's show editor @@RANDOMNAME@@, showing you a happy face with a warning in friendly letters. "As long as TV shows are made to put flashing color warnings sufficiently before they happen, as well as at the beginning of the program, then people can tune out before things get bad. Sure, it won't please everyone, but it's a much less draconian compromise."

Option 3a: "Why should my show be compromised?" refutes popular and controversial TV show host @@RANDOMNAME@@, entering your office with blinding rainbow lasers. "It's my show, I should be able to do what I want! If some people are too sensitive to watch the program, then they can do something else, like listen to it on the radio or something."

Option 3b: "Why should our state-run media be compromised?" refutes one of your lead news editors @@RANDOMNAME@@, entering your office with blinding rainbow lasers. "It's the government's show, and we should run it however we want! If some people are too sensitive to watch the program, then they can listen to it on mandatory radios or something."

Edit: Changed "SUBMITTED" to "ACCEPTED".
Prior last edit: July 19, 2020.
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:48 am, edited 15 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Apabeossie
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Apabeossie » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:10 am

great issue idea! at least for me :P
✵ Your guide to Apabeossie ✵
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” -Les Mis Finale

Yahlia wrote:Surely everyone likes penguins? Who doesn't like penguins? I refuse to believe there are people out there who have an opinion of them worse than 'indifferent'

Einswenn wrote:For me it always was and is obscure why would people be so blind and shortsighted to allow themselves unsolicited hate. I’ve already posted this before: take care of your own life, live your own life, and don’t tell the others how they should live theirs

Dizgovzy wrote:Please go read a book or play outside instead of spending your youth behind a computer screen. Don’t waste your time on this site.

New Skandenivia wrote:AFAB ❌
AMAB ❌
Apab ✅

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:20 am

Option 3b- Uh, you do realise that the government is deciding what to do with their show?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:27 am

Yes. :P

It's kinda hard to write this in a way that also applies to state-run media, but the idea is that the editor's stance be taken by the government.
I.E. you want flashing lights, also. I'll be sure to sneak that in, though. ;)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:11 am

The description doesn't make it too clear what people are watching: TV?

I also wouldn't per se mention mandatory radios in 3b, which is an existing policy. It feels a little out of place to push that policy in this issue.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:20 am

Ko-oren wrote:The description doesn't make it too clear what people are watching: TV?
Well, I somewhat doubt you have rapidly flashing colors in a radio newsstation or a newspaper.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:10 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Ko-oren wrote:The description doesn't make it too clear what people are watching: TV?
Well, I somewhat doubt you have rapidly flashing colors in a radio newsstation or a newspaper.

There's internet, which has a different userbase and might be subject to different laws.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:31 am

That's true, but I think the medium doesn't affect the premise too much.
On top of that, it'd be rather hard to write things differently between nations that do and don't have internet access,
but afaik it's impossible (or at least, ignored) to ban television sets.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:11 am

Ko-oren wrote:There's internet, which has a different userbase and might be subject to different laws.
Nowadays most TV broadcasts are also available as livestreams.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:57 pm

Self comment: Try to put a bit more humor into it. It's missing some flash.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:07 am

Gonna bump this, tweaked some of the words and such. Still think it's a bit dry, but I figured I'd bump just in case there's a more broad issue with the draft,
one I'd be failing to see due to the trees.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Jutsa wrote:Validity: Not state-run media
Option 3a: "Why should my show be compromised?"

Option 3b: "Why should our state-run media be compromised?"
In nations that have state-run media, you don't need to constantly remind people that it's state-run media. That's just how it is. The other version doesn't explicitly say "privately-run" - think how silly it would sound to keep putting that on everything. (If anything, there would be more justification for explicitly saying "privately-run", if it's done with the implication of "I own this show, so it's up to me what goes on it, the government should mind its own business".

Just "our media" will do, or "the state's media" if you want to still highlight it in a way that sounds more natural.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:47 pm

Thanks. :rofl:

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pythaga » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Description wrote:In an effort to create excitement and interest, major news featured several instances of blaring noises and rapidly flashing colors, causing many discomfort, migraines, and in some cases epileptic seizures.

I'd change major news to major TV news networks to make it clear from the beginning exactly what medium is being touched on.

"Many discomfort" isn't right, I'd suggest changing it to much discomfort.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:52 pm

Pythaga wrote:"Many discomfort" isn't right,
No, it's proper English. It means "causing discomfort to many".

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:24 pm

Changed some of the writing a little, though not much. I think option 1's speaker's a bit more critical while option 2 is much shorter while actually having slightly more content. :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:00 am

Cool. Looks good.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:48 am

I'll take that as a reassurance to my already existing desire to move this to last call. :)

I still kinda wish there was some way I could make this more silly, but I guess not all drafts have to be downright preposterous, do they?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?