NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Access to Abortion

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:38 pm

"Now that the proposal is in queue, full support."
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

The Yellow Monkey
Attaché

Founded: Jan 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Monkey » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:17 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:recipient bona fide means a natural person demonstrating a bona fide desire for a commodity or service,

Defining "bona fide" as "bona fide" is bold but perhaps not very useful.

But nevermind. I rise from my grave to lament what terrible sight I see before me now. The philosophy of bodily sovereignty which gave birth to the modern pro-choice movement never supported measures such as these. This law would entitle a fetus to a swift death at any stage of pregnancy for any or no reason at all (except if the reason were given as expressly based on sex-selection, which leads one to wonder why aborting based on race or disability is so acceptable).

There are limits on all our liberties that stem from our common obligation to consider the well-being of others. No nation in the world would consider such general and unnuanced provisions of law as I see in this proposal. This measure renders moot some legitimate social concerns for the treatment of the unborn. To what end? Would you also pass a law, in the name of personal sovereignty, requiring the government to provide every parent who wishes not to be so a gun and a bullet?

No nation in the world has laws like this. Gone is any accord to the subtleties and heart rending considerations that pervade this issue. The proponents of this measure are truly mad. Perhaps some anti-choice factions have driven them so by dogged resistance to reasonable abortion laws. But this is not a rational response.

I am pro-choice. I am a feminist. I am against this absurd law. There is a disconnect from reality evidenced here, and a tragic misunderstanding of the principles that gave life to the pro-choice view. I sincerely hope that the wisdom of the electorate defeats this measure.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:35 pm

Staypuftonia wrote:"You're missing the point here. If this resolution passes, then millions of innocent Staypuftonians, and millions of innocent people of other countries, would be killed just because it's "convenient", or "I don't want to have a baby", or "It's not financially right now", or "It was conceived from rape". The only reason an abortion should be allowed is if the baby would die."

“What about the health of the mother?”
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Fluvannia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fluvannia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:45 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
Staypuftonia wrote:"You're missing the point here. If this resolution passes, then millions of innocent Staypuftonians, and millions of innocent people of other countries, would be killed just because it's "convenient", or "I don't want to have a baby", or "It's not financially right now", or "It was conceived from rape". The only reason an abortion should be allowed is if the baby would die."

“What about the health of the mother?”

“I believe that has been covered since GA #128, no?”
Pop. 213,840,408 | GDP $11.156 T | Area 572,302.6 sq. mi. (1,482,257 sq. km) | Demonym Fluvannian
Gov't Structure Federal Constitutional Principality | Monarch Crown Prince Michael
Sports Trigram FLV
A 14 civilization, according to this index. (Tech 6, Arcane 0, Influence 6)
"Greenness" Score: 0.0796
Int'l Hockey Ranks: 20th (Sr.), 3rd (Jr.)
Silver Medal, World Jr. Hockey Championship 15
Host, WJHC 15
NS World Cup Rank: 139th

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:51 pm

I just saw this a bit ago. It is ironic, needless to say, that a campaign that argues it is "democratic" is simultaneously propping up this resolution with NPA support. Needless to say, we continue to oppose this resolution.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:59 pm

"State-funded genocide will never be enacted in this Republic!"
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:59 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:"State-funded genocide will never be enacted in this Republic!"

"Who's being genocided?"
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Union of Sovereign States and Republics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:01 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:"State-funded genocide will never be enacted in this Republic!"

"May I ask, Ambassador, what it exactly is you mean by this?"
Current IC Year: 2031
The Union of Sovereign States and Republics; USSR
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:

"Who's being genocided?"

"The German people."
Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:

"May I ask, Ambassador, what it exactly is you mean by this?"

"The provisions enacted in this diabolical piece of legislation facilitates the state-funded slaughter of millions for the sake of giving evil people the right to freely murder unborn humans."
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:05 pm

"Mr.. Are you high?"

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:06 pm

"Ambassador, I don't see any genocide happening here. Are you feeling well?"
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:09 pm

Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:"Ambassador, I don't see any genocide happening here. Are you feeling well?"

Ambassador, I think they mean the impending genocide of the unborn.
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:10 pm

La xinga wrote:
Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:"Ambassador, I don't see any genocide happening here. Are you feeling well?"

Ambassador, I think they mean the impending genocide of the unborn.

"You can not genocide something that is not living, Ambassador."

Fluvannia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Fluvannia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:11 pm

OOC: The USSR hand-waving a genocide? “Wait — I’ve seen this one!” :roll:
Pop. 213,840,408 | GDP $11.156 T | Area 572,302.6 sq. mi. (1,482,257 sq. km) | Demonym Fluvannian
Gov't Structure Federal Constitutional Principality | Monarch Crown Prince Michael
Sports Trigram FLV
Host, WJHC 15

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:11 pm

La xinga wrote:Ambassador, I think they mean the impending genocide of the unborn.

"You can not genocide something that is not living, Ambassador."

"I think a heartbeat and a soul means living, ambassador. If there is no soul, at least a heartbeat would be living, ambassador.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:12 pm

Fluvannia wrote:

OOC: You know this is a threadjack right?
IC: If the Mr. from Marxist Germany ardently believes that permitting women the free choice when to bear children poses such a demographic threat to his country's future, maybe he should reflect on why his TFR is below 0.1.

MT/MagicT

Fluvannia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Fluvannia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:15 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Fluvannia wrote:

OOC: You know this is a threadjack right?
IC: If the Mr. from Marxist Germany ardently believes that permitting women the free choice when to bear children poses such a demographic threat to his country's future, maybe he should reflect on why his TFR is below 0.1.

Apologies, no tension-breaking in the future from me. :?
Sports Trigram FLV
Host, WJHC 15

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:15 pm

La xinga wrote:
Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:"You can not genocide something that is not living, Ambassador."

"I think a heartbeat and a soul means living, ambassador. If there is no soul, at least a heartbeat would be living, ambassador.

"A fetal heartbeat is not a heartbeat, Ambassador. It is just a flutter within the section where the heart of the fetus will form in the future - the future pacemaker, discharging electricity. The lungs of the fetus do not begin functioning until the third trimester, and the vernix does not shed until around 36 to 40 weeks into the pregnancy. If the baby can not live outside of its mother for a period of time, then is it truly correct to call it alive? After all, it's as good as dead if it's born 6 weeks into the pregnancy."

Fluvannia wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:OOC: You know this is a threadjack right?

OOC: 'Tis all good.
Last edited by Union of Sovereign States and Republics on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 pm

La xinga wrote:"I think a heartbeat and a soul means living, ambassador. If there is no soul, at least a heartbeat would be living, ambassador.

"A fetal heartbeat is not a heartbeat, Ambassador. It is just a flutter within the section where the heart of the fetus will form in the future - the future pacemaker, discharging electricity. The lungs of the fetus do not begin functioning until the third trimester, and the vernix does not shed until around 36 to 40 weeks into the pregnancy. If the baby can not live outside of its mother for a period of time, then is it truly correct to call it alive? After all, it's as good as dead if it's born 6 weeks into the pregnancy."

Fluvannia wrote:

"With all due respect, ambassador, is a person confined to a machine good as dead?"

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:21 pm

La xinga wrote:
Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:"A fetal heartbeat is not a heartbeat, Ambassador. It is just a flutter within the section where the heart of the fetus will form in the future - the future pacemaker, discharging electricity. The lungs of the fetus do not begin functioning until the third trimester, and the vernix does not shed until around 36 to 40 weeks into the pregnancy. If the baby can not live outside of its mother for a period of time, then is it truly correct to call it alive? After all, it's as good as dead if it's born 6 weeks into the pregnancy."

"With all due respect, ambassador, is a person confined to a machine good as dead?"

"If they can not live without it nor preform basic bodily functions? Yes."

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:22 pm

La xinga wrote:
Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:"A fetal heartbeat is not a heartbeat, Ambassador. It is just a flutter within the section where the heart of the fetus will form in the future - the future pacemaker, discharging electricity. The lungs of the fetus do not begin functioning until the third trimester, and the vernix does not shed until around 36 to 40 weeks into the pregnancy. If the baby can not live outside of its mother for a period of time, then is it truly correct to call it alive? After all, it's as good as dead if it's born 6 weeks into the pregnancy."

I mean if you have a Glasgow rating of 3 you are pretty much braindead.

MT/MagicT

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:22 pm

La xinga wrote:"With all due respect, ambassador, is a person confined to a machine good as dead?"

"If they can not live without it nor preform basic bodily functions? Yes."

AMBASSADOR, that person could change someone's life. Yet, assume he/she's as good as dead?

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:28 pm

La xinga wrote:
Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:"If they can not live without it nor preform basic bodily functions? Yes."

AMBASSADOR, that person could change someone's life. Yet, assume he/she's as good as dead?

"Not all change is good. Not all change is useful."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:29 pm

La xinga wrote:

"Technically, *I'M* confined to a machine. The important distinction here is whether the hypothetical individual you speak of retains their cognitive capacity. That distinction tends to be a major deciding factor in determining life or death, as we do employ the concept of brain-death in medical terminology on a routine basis."
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:32 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
La xinga wrote:AMBASSADOR, that person could change someone's life. Yet, assume he/she's as good as dead?

"Not all change is good. Not all change is useful."

This is referring to good, sir.
Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:"With all due respect, ambassador, is a person confined to a machine good as dead?"

"Technically, *I'M* confined to a machine. The important distinction here is whether the hypothetical individual you speak of retains their cognitive capacity. That distinction tends to be a major deciding factor in determining life or death, as we do employ the concept of brain-death in medical terminology on a routine basis."

The guy's not brain dead, sir.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives