NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Stacking the Deck

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Stacking the Deck

Postby Cretox State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:40 pm

I don’t know exactly how this idea came into my head, but here we are.

Stacking the Deck

Validity: Cannot have high culture.

Description
The @@NAME@@ art community is up in arms after the nation’s finest work was rated a mere “common” at two extremely prestigious international art symposiums, painting a poor picture of the @@DEMONYM@@ intellectual scene. In response, a colorful spread of individuals has stormed your office to demand you take action.

Option 1
“Zis is outrageous!” shrieks renowned painter @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, throwing his beret on the ground before dusting it off and putting it back on. “Ve pour our very blood into our craft! Eef zis is ze respect ve are getting, ve shall not tolerate it any longer! Vif your support, ve shall conduct our own explosive events, and make ze eenternational community beg for our forgiveness!” He lets out a hearty laugh.

Effect: diplomats sign treaties with themselves to avoid rejection

Option 2
“Come now, aren’t we being a tad childish?” chides associate professor @@RANDOMNAME@@, peering over his bifocals. “It’ll only serve to hurt us if we throw a tantrum on the international scene over something as frankly trivial as this. Through a generous government program to fund the arts, we can become a shining example to the rest of the world. We’ll do better at future events too, of course. On merit.”

Effect: children’s arts and crafts projects are reviewed by professional critics

Option 3
“Are you seriously going to dilute our government’s focus over this?” asks Finance Minister @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ makes a frowny face out of some coins on your desk. “Why do we even need to fund the arts in the first place? It’s not like they provide any sort of return on our investment. We should be allocating more money to programs that yield practical results, like the new missile research my brother’s heading.”

Effect: nepotism is considered an essential government expenditure

Option 4
“If ya wanna win in life, ya gotta grease the wheels,” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a bad personal injury lawyer with an even worse combover. “Cut some backroom deals. Bring some potentially problematic issues to other governments’ attention. Propose an international law or two. Donate to a good cause. Get our great country noticed for doing something unique. If foreigners start to notice us, they’ll want our support. And we can use that to our advantage.”

Effect: the nation’s diplomats carry briefcases full of cash

Option 5
“The judgement of mere mortals matters not in the eyes of the almighty!” rants @@RANDOMNAME@@, a prophet of the obscure Proscenium Cult, trying to break down one of your office’s walls before being restrained by security. “We must appeal to the divine, and beg for Their holy grace! Through a higher power, our victory will be inevitable. Through sacrifice, our path shall be assured! We shall win all contests, and all displays of strength! It will be legendary!”

Effect: some things are best handled through moderation
Last edited by Cretox State on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:38 pm

You may want to take a look at #517. It has a pretty similar description to this draft.

Reminds me a bit of this too.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:56 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:You may want to take a look at #517. It has a pretty similar description to this draft.

Reminds me a bit of this too.

I don't think there's too much overlap in either case. #517 deals with public interest in the arts, while the latter is an Easter egg issue about gambling.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:11 am

Remember that "International Art" is NS code for trading cards, and explicitly saying "rated a mere common" in the description only solidifies that. But in reading the actual options this draft has little to do with trading cards, despite some neat references. No card-related validity is present. I can tell trading cards were part of the thought process when this draft was written, but the debate itself centers around "the arts".

So in summary, I think it's muddy and nebulous. If you want to do an arts-related issue, then tie it to a pressing arts-related premise. If you want an issue involving "International Artwork" (trading cards), then go all-in on something unique

He who dares, wins, but half and half isn’t working, in my opinion.
Last edited by Candensia on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:34 pm

I have an idea for how to make this more focused. Will put up a new draft tomorrow.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:44 am

Why does leader care?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:06 am

The @@NAME@@ art community is up in arms after the nation’s finest work was rated a mere “common” at two extremely prestigious international art symposiums, painting a poor picture of the @@DEMONYM@@ intellectual scene. In response, a colorful spread of individuals has stormed your office to demand you take action.

If you imagine the NS card game doesn't exist, then this opening premise reads as nonsense.

There's no agreed real life rating system for art. One person's Turner Prize short-listed avant garde masterpiece is another person's unmade bed with some bodily fluid on it. And when art is rated, its mentioned in terms of the prizes it has won, or the price it has sold for, not rated "common", "rare", etc.
Value being denoted by rarity is a thing done for collectables, such as cards, minis and the like, not for one-of-a-kind artworks.

Also, that last sentence? That's a classic redundant line, which basically says "And this is a Nationstates Issue." Try to avoid those lines please.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?